Airwolf

Show Reviews (30)

Great

This chopper armed to the teeth was my hero.

By twilightboy, Jan 02, 2013

Imagine this: An almost indestructible helicopter armed with powerful weapons like: .50 machine guns, rockets, and heat seeking missiles. This helicopter is extremely fast and has special boost that would make it go even faster. That's all this baby has and much more.

I loved how the guns would come out of their hiding places like a lion showing up its sharp teeth under threat. Other ultra cool thing I liked was the mountain where they parked this machine of destruction, it would open its false rooftop and Airwolf would descend down its throat into a cavern packed full with electronics and weapons to keep this animal in perfect shape.

Love the show.moreless

Probably one of the most gifted action shows ever made, that fell so drastically fast. But still in 2005, one of my favorite shows ever!

By BRAH, Apr 13, 2010

"Airwolf" is really the forgotton show of the popular mid-80's action shows of the time. Although not as a highly-rated, most cult viewers of the time, regarded "Airwolf" on the same level as it's sister shows, "The A-Team" & "Knight Rider". Although not scripted as good as "The A-Team", "Airwolf" easily won out over script quality over "Knight Rider", even in "AW"'s darkest times, circa '86 & '87. "Airwolf" had the action of "Knight Rider", but kept a seriousness about itself, where it didn't cross over into that 60's "Batman" area of cheese, like "Knight Rider" did.

In it's 1st Season (1984), "Airwolf" showed tons of promise to be one of the greatest action shows ever made. Each episode was superb in writing, and most episodes kept you on the edge of your seat. It's obvious now that shows like "Airwolf" set the mold for shows that we see today such as "24", with the foreign intrigue element, but also lots and lots of action, with the budget of a film, but on a TV show. However, "Airwolf" did not keep this quality past it's 1st Season, sadly, and when it fell, it fell fast! However, Season 1 remains probably one of the best quality seasons of any show ever to me, to this day, albeit the fact it only contained 10 episodes and a two-hour movie.

Season 2 (1984-85) saw many changes, mainly to the show's formula. A female character was added to give balance to the show, a balance that wasn't really needed, and it was obvious to viewers that gradually the international intrigue stories that were so so good in the show's 1st Season, were being phased out for more domestic-oriented stories here in the U.S., due to pressure from the CBS suits. The quality of the show also seemed to start suffering. Although the beginning of the season started somewhat strong, by mid-season, certain elements of the show seemed to start showing 'rushing to the network', and the show also started suffering from production delay's due to a variety of issues, which also caused the budget for the series to skyrocket. It's almost strange, the first several episodes to Season 2 are very familiar to the viewer, showing the same kinda stuff from Season 1, but by the end of Season 2, it's almost a completely unrecognizable show, other than Airwolf itself still being on it. It's like the show went an overhaul within only one season. I don't know, it just feels like a completely different show watching say, "Sweet Britches" and then watching "Short Walk To Freedom".

Season 3 (1985-86) saw the biggest change to the series at this point, and also proved to be the last on CBS. The show's writing staff & producing crew was pretty much turned over from Season 2. Don Bellisario stepped down as Executive Producer from day-to-day production, but did keep a distant eye on the show, but not much, deciding to hand the reigns over to veteran TV director, Bernard L. Kowalski. The season saw weird highs & lows. For example, the first four episodes almost seem like they each are from an entirely different show, with the Airwolf helicopter & the characters being the only recognizable things. "The Horn of Plenty" is some goofy attempt at a brainwashing episode that, granted sees great performances from both Jan-Michael Vincent & Jean Bruce Scott, but mainly seems like something out of "The Six Million Dollar Man". "Airwolf II" then becomes one of the greatest episodes of the series, my personal favorite myself, as we get to see Airwolf finally meet it's match by taking on it's successor, Airwolf II: Redwolf. "And A Child Shall Lead" then seems like some 'very special heartfelt episode' of "Highway To Heaven" with Airwolf thrown in for action measure, and then after that, we get "Fortune Teller" which was like "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." meets "Airwolf". Season 3 was plagued with problems like this. But the overall quality still remained as soemthing good enough to watch on Saturdays at 8pm, when nothing else good was on. Sadly, the show never had a chance to rebound, although the show still consistantly won it's timeslot & CBS Saturday nights, it was canceled at the end of it's 3rd Season, due to too high production costs.

Someone at Universal decided in order to make the show more marketable in 2nd-run syndication, it needed another full-season of episodes, in order to make the package more attractive to syndicators. Universal then teamed up with the fledgling USA cable network, and decided to produce 24 additional episodes on a shoestring budget up in Canada ... enter ... the infamous Season 4 (1987).

Season 4 premiered on a new network, on USA (so it's now a cable series) in January of 1987. To the shock of audiences the entire cast had completely been changed. In the story, **SPOILERS**, Dom had been killed & String badly injured from a helicopter explosion, Archangel was re-assigned perminately to the 'far east', and Caitlin just vanished and was never mentioned again, as was St. John's supposed Amerasian son, Le Van (who popped up as a recurring character in the second-half of Season 3), who was also never mentioned again, and just vanished. St. John was rescued from Burma (apparently he got moved around alot since becoming an MIA in Vietnam so many years ago), and Archangel's replacement, Jason Locke, now composed an entirely new Airwolf crew, with St. John, a new agent Maj. Mike Rivers, and Dom's niece Jo (who was never mentioned ever before, until now, but we were led to believe she was a regular friend of their's). The show was also shot in Canada on a shoestring budget (the budget-quality of the show dropped to something of "MacGyver", when it 'was' something of "Airwolf"). The show also was so poor 'financially' by this point, that they didn't even have the real Airwolf. They just recycled stock footage from the previous three seasons of "Airwolf" for all of their aerial scenes. Despite all of this, the writing actually improved, on a story point. Alot of the international stories that made the 1st Season so good had actually returned, but by this point most people didn't even recognize the show anymore, and there were so many continuity errors from the CBS seasons to the USA season, that the show was barely recognizable other than Airwolf.

Overall, despite all of these issues, and the sudden plummet of a series that started promising into the trashcan in only a couple of seasons, was a disappointment. But I grew up with this series, and it's one of the first shows I can remember, so despite all of it's flaws in the later years, it's still a personal favorite, even Season 4. I'd still take 'flawed' Season 3 or 4 "Airwolf" over some of the things on TV today.moreless

Looks intresting.

By YamataDragon, Apr 13, 2010

I have never seen this show before, but it looks like something worth watching if it is level fifty on tv.com. It is truely a shame to be born in the nineteen eighties and miss shows that you think are intresting to watch. But that is just how God wanted it to be. Oh well. I might find a DVD of it somewhere.

When this show was originally on the air, I thought it was one of the greatest shows ever. The helicopter was really cool and so was Stringfellow Hawk.

By MyrddnEmrys, Apr 13, 2010

I have recently seen this show again. In comparison to modern shows, Airwolf leaves a lot to be desired. While the premise is original and has not really been duplicated (except for Blue Tunder, a much worse show), the stories are the standard 1980s fare. Nothing really original in the actual episodes. There is a challenge the heros must overcome. Most of the time, they win out. I still like the show but not nearly as much as I did in the 80s.moreless

One of the finest action-adventure series ever created on American television from the mid-1980s about a sleek, awesome, Mach 1+ chopper that could "kick butt", that is AIRWOLF.

By mark_cairns, Apr 13, 2010

Airwolf was a futuristic action adventure from the mid-1980s about a sleek, awesome, Mach 1+ chopper that could "'kick butt" (via 14 firepower options), and its loner, cello-playing, hotshot pilot, Stringfellow Hawke (played perfectly by Hollywood hellraiser, Jan-Michael Vincent) who lives in a mountain cabin with Tet, an old BlueTick Hound.

When the hi-tech helicopter (a real wolf in sheep's clothing) is stolen by its deviant creator, Dr Moffet (a gloriously slimy performance by David Hemmings - recently seen again in Gladiator) and flown to Colonel Kadaffi's (note spelling, perhaps for libel reasons?) sand-pile in Libya to indulge in his favourite pastime of raping and torturing young women, the Deputy Director (Alex Cord) of an agency within the CIA ("the Firm") that developed Airwolf asks for Hawke's assistance in recovering the helicopter, in return for them finding Hawke's brother, St John, still MIA from the Vietnam war. Hawke asks for help from his old friend and mentor, Dominic Santini (played by veteran Oscar-winning actor, Ernest Borgnine) and together they try to recover Airwolf from Moffet and the Libyan military.

Airwolf was part Blue Thunder, part Knight Rider and far superior to both from the very start, featured magnificent, feature film production values within most of its 55 episodes and especially with its lovingly shot aerial hardware. The subsequent three seasons (forgetting its awful final fourth Canadian-based season) resembled the intentions of the Blue Thunder and Firefox films from two years earlier, but its macho solemnity ultimately gave it the edge and allowed it to still acknowledge and explore the muddier areas of international politics and officialdom's often questionable behaviour - as Hawke and Santini skimmed around the skies as a sort of blackbird of death amalgam of Lone Ranger, Mighty Mouse and God, dispensing instant justice in the name of fair play and apple pie. There were no wimpy sirens or formalities like arrests and trials (most of the time) where Airwolf was concerned; neither the CIA nor vigilantes require such minor details of inconvenience. With a concept such as Airwolf, an element of tongue-in-cheek was almost mandatory to get such a provocative premise on the air (the initial outcry against the mercenary heroes of The A-Team had only been dissipated by the series' stubborn refusal to take itself seriously - as the critics had), but in Airwolf the self-parody is deliberately almost subliminal to enable the series to play both sides of the fence. It was a show that still stands the test of time today - even most of the technology and look of the show hasn't aged at all - with its real world (mostly Right-wing) politics, a reality that extends to its story locations, with stories set in real countries including: Libya, Laos, Nicaragua, Cuba, Mexico and Russia.

The recently release 1st Season Box Set by Universal includes a bonus version of the 'pilot' episode for the series (the \"Film/Movie version\") and is about 14 minutes shorter than the original TV version of the pilot, due to its creator, Don Bellisario (Magnum PI, Quantum Leap, JAG) wishing to make this version of the opening episode self-contained for a limited theatrical and future video release worldwide. It is an (18 / R) certificate release and features dialogue overdubs with more adult swearing and scenes cut from other first season episodes, but contains different (and superior) orchestral and music cues than the TV version. The Special Limited Edition 2CD soundtrack (critically acclaimed by the fans and a highly-desirable and valuable collectible in its own right -- it holds the World Record for a Television soundtrack!) for the show is available directly (and only) from http://www.airwolfthemes.com/

The superb music for the show - created by Hungarian composer, Sylvester Levay - is one of the most recognisable and superb pieces of television music ever created and adds even further to the show's feature film production values during the aerial action sequences. Some of the music cues are different in the Film version to the TV "Pilot" version, although I personally feel they are superior.

In my personal opinion, this is one of the finest action-adventure series with the highest production values ever created on American television, pandering to the darker instincts and making for very satisfying viewing.

Mark J.Cairnsmoreless

This is one of my many personal Favorites, I love the original Characters

By wayne1284, Apr 05, 2009

The Original Cast made for a great TV show. Airwolf was the next best thing to Star Trek: The Next Generation at the time. Since it had not come out. What really Suprised me when the new cast came in one of the cast of the Lead role person in Forever Knight a another Guilty Pleasure show. But back to Airwolf, the helicopter was something from you would think Gene Roddenberry would think of or the creators or Knight Rider would come up with. Jan-Michaeal Vincent and ArcAngel (can't remember his name), Not to mention Dominic was great together.

The new cast which had Barry Van Dyke which I had forgotten was in it and really didn't pay attention to the other pilot (Forever Knights lead charcater before he went to it)

All in all a great show.moreless

awesome series

By francouai, Aug 03, 2008

I have been looking long and hard at finding another Scale helicopter Kit that looks good, but also at a reasonable price. I have previously had a Moskito R22, Hirobo Lama and a still ongoing Hirobo KV-107II (early Chinook). Price is important to me, so after looking around for a while I finally decided on a Century Kit. But which one, well I wanted one with retracts, the Airwolf & Bell 222 fitted this well, but which one. I eventually went for the Airwolf as it was a bit different, and a fellow member at the club mentioned he wanted one. The next decision was whether to go for the ARF [CN1070A] (Almost Ready to Fly) or the assembly kit [CN1070]. Well I wanted a different colour scheme than the original Airwolf which I find a bit drab so I decided on the Assembly kitmoreless

one of coolest flight movie i've watched at the time!!!

By iRamEEz, Feb 14, 2008

Air wolf, the best action packed adventure flight, TV series i 've watched at the time., i could not wait for the continuing episode, sitting on the edge of the seat waiting for wats going to happen next., looking back i am still loving it ! jean Bruce (Jessica Blake Fallon) was hot and dominic was kinda funnt at times too . . . . i dont think they are making anything like those anymore, more of the Sci Fic type these days ., the copter was a neat piece of high-tech machine, with heavy weapons load out. Great Show! :)moreless

Canceled ahead of it's time

By Muzaver, Dec 27, 2007

A show about a Helicopter. But not just any Helicopter, this was a advanced, war machine helicopter. To be honest it was canceled ahead of it's time. There should be a good reason for that, though! Airwolf came to my town when I was younger. A bit over rated but I'll remember it for the rest of my life. There was other story lines and decent actors but I watched it for the action and maneuvers of AIRWOLF. Good theme song as well. I have to rate it as great because back then when I was a kid everything is great.moreless

Load More Reviews