Kit Nelson

Episode Reviews (6)

Great

great script

By LucianoNegrei, Mar 05, 2012

really great dialogs, a scene into the cell (with phosphorus) is amazing.. but the rest of the episod.... hum hum i dont know.. something is going be wrong with this series!

Great episode! Even though I loved the first two, this was the best one yet!

By amazing_race, Feb 20, 2012

I'm watching this show with my mum and sister, and they're both not really enjoying the Alcatraz enigma and not really liking the main plot, and I quite understand why. However, we all agree that the cases so far were absolutely spectacular, and this one was the best yet!

Killing children is a crime like no other, and this was a very suspenseful (and at times terrifying) episode to watch! I really enjoye d the suspense, and the ending was very befitting!

I'm only disappointed by the fact that there was no real mention of the cliffhanger at the end of the last episode, and I hope that is addressed soon! Can't wait to see more!!!moreless

Soto's Character Develops In A Good Way & Hauser Builds The Enigma Which Is Alcatraz Further

By AudioFileZ, Jan 25, 2012

In the season's third episode, Kit Nelson, William Ecklund guest stars as a serial child killer Nelson. Ecklund is a rising star within the realm of evil/damaged characters at present and this role is a good fit. Fit though it may be the producers really never achieve the petrifying darkness he is capable of, but damaged with a certain methodical ritual of killing certainly comes through as he goes to lengths to prepare his victim.

Jorge Garcia, as character Diego Soto, steps out front and center this week. Soto's unique encyclopedic knowledge Alcatraz's last inmates modi operandi allows him to instantly know one Kit Nelson is back. Soto presents his case very emotionally to Hauser and Madsen having a noticeably stronger need to move because if they do not find Nelson in three days the boy will be back home, but dead. Soto deducts because Nelson assumed the identity of a local hardware store employee that he should start there and hits pay-dirt when it is revealed the store had a break-in and two fishing poles were stolen. Following that lead he learns he is just behind Nelson. Soto thinks Nelson's ritual of killing first involves a kind of interaction doing things he did as a child with his victim. eTh emotional off-the-chart is driven home when Soto blows over Hauser cancelling the "Amber Alert". Soto storms off as he peels off by himself and sits in a diner thinking cherry pie is, perhaps, a lure or a solstice to his emotional upheaval. Sure enough it's a lure and Nelson and his victim walk in. Soto blows it as Nelson is leaving and Madsen is not quite on the scene yet. He almost gets the victim killed.

Jonny Coyne, as warden James, has one of the best scenes in this week's episode. James has Nelson thrown into a windowless dark claustrophobic metal cell only to surprise Nelson when the door is closed by striking a match. Using the promise of 4 matches as a countdown to total isolation in darkness James, very eerily, extracts a confession only to tell Nelson he's allowing him to keep his clothes. He leaves the matches so Nelson incinerate himself by lighting his clothes, instead Nelson still has the matches when he is holding his present day victim.

The final confrontation occurs when Madsen and Soto figure out the victim is being held in an underground bunker. This time things go a little better as the boy escapes and is being caught by Nelson in open woods. Using his victim as a shield it looks like Madsen is going to have to make a difficult decision of either letting Nelson go in order to prevent him breaking his victims neck or take a chance of shooting him without harming the victim. In a flash a shot is heard and Nelson falls dead...Hauser was also on the scene unknown to Madsen and Soto. This is somewhat different as the other returning criminals have been captured alive. The difference is driven home as Hauser returns to the double top-secret underground later-day Alcatraz with Nelson in a body bag slung over his shoulder. Upon entering the prison, Hauser turns to his right and enters a sort of infirmary/morgue where the presiding doctor is none other than old Alcatraz's doctor Beauregard. Here's a man that loves a cigarette, his work, and, apparently the boogie-woogie blues of Amos Milburn as he cues up "I'm In My Wine" on the old turntable. All-in-all, a good episode allowing Jorge Garcia to develop his character (we find out he had a childhood trauma when Hauser accuses him of "arrested development") and stretch out some while it brings up the need for some answers to the enigma that is Hauser, Dr. Beauregard, and just what the heck is going on down there! We'll stay tuned for now becausemoreless

A Major Improvement

By Clem711, Jan 24, 2012

Episode 3 of Alcatraz was a phenomenal leap forward from the pilot. It was utterly gripping, emotionally complex, and just plain trippy. The "this is a 4 match conversation" scene will stay in my memory for a long time to come.

Meh...

By MarkNash1, Jan 24, 2012

Only 3 episodes in and we are rewarded with an episode so middling it could be a throwaway mid-third season episode. The writers seem content to create a police procedural, replacing the labs and teamwork with a walking encyclopedia on the subject and his disinterested cop partner... oh and a mastermind who dedicated his life to the subject (and has access to a lab) gives no information or insight of any kind.

On the plus side the acting is solid if not stellar, the story is pergnant with promise and thats about it. The lead villain is a fine actor who was so much more menacing in his star turn on Fringe last season. The leads have very minor character development other than heavy handed origin story mysteries.

The claimed 'worst american criminals', who are usefully appearing in the modern day on a weekly basis, all seem kinda bland and less than modern killers. Give us some history of why they are so bad.. this weeks killer seems to have killed 3 boys after an abusive childhood... and yet at no point do we feel the victim off the week was in any real danger. Similarly we had a main character gunned down in week 2 by an accomplished killer.. who oddly fails this time.. and does anyone believe she won't recover?

Every week we are treated to a "this clue can only come from one place" plot device to accompany a "we leap to this conclusion only to find we were almost right" device.. Yawn. The same 2 tired plots of every crime drama ever.

Fans of LOST will already be wary of the "here is a mystery that no one will discuss on or off camera" plot that's is in full effect. It strains credibility and patience to have a cop who is not interested about her mysterious, murderous, partner killing, time travelling grandfather to ask the man who she spends all her work hours with about... let alone the family who have lied to her about him... or use her cop connections to research him.. or ask her new employer... or look for his belongings and records she has full access to.

Its just stupid and boring.. give us some credit and mysteries are fine and necessary but have good reasoning and real-world sensibilities that don't have us yawning.

My standout moment of this episode was the horribly written father/son chat that was the most clubfooted, exposition rich scene that imparted nothing over what we could have guessed and assumed.moreless