The Ikon of Elijah

Mediocre
5.9

Oskar Shmoskar

By philius9, Oct 15, 2013

Forget the main story with Oskar ***lka overacting up a storm. It is the stunning French beauty Danielle De Metz in a minor role that is all we care about.

An unscrupulous antique dealer, stuck on the island of Cyprus and yearning to escape, discovers a priceless ikon in a remote monastery which has no contact with the world. And he knows someone who will buy it...

By orswel, Nov 03, 2011

Oscar Homolka, wearing a ridiculous moustache and sweating profusely, is the crooked but penniless antiques dealer who makes the fatal mistake of thinking he can outsmart an unwordly archimandrite in this intriguing story. Sam Jaffe, in the latter role, has just the right hint of steel under an unworldly exterior, but it's Homolka's show all the way, a tour de force of acting by a veteran who loves his job. His character is both despicable, in his relentless attempts to cheat everyone around him, and pathetic - when we see him manipulated by his voluptuous, much younger wife, we might guess that the silent monks, so cut off from the world in their isolated fastness, will not be as easy for him to deceive as he thinks.moreless