All the Time in the World (2)

Episode Reviews (61)

Superb

Alias came in with a bang and ended with a bang, the bang being the sound of objects crashing into TVs around the world.

By ritterkreuz39, Apr 15, 2011

The episode features the return of several fan favorites such as Lena Olin, Merrin Dungey, and David Anders. It's supposed to be good, after all it is the series finale. But it's not. It is in this episode that the viewers witnessed the utter character assassination of Irina Derevko at the hands of a last-minute script change. The writers had disregarded everything that had happened in season 2 and Lena Olin's great characterization of Irina. They replaced the complex Irina with a 1 dimensional cardboard villian. Gone was the Irina with conflicting loyalties, here comes the anti-Christ Irina that a small group of fans had always wanted. The 'happy ending' at the end came at the cost of Irina's character and Jack's death. Even then the S/V ending was disappointing. I was tempted to give this a zero, the only thing that's stopping me from doing so is my love for Lena Olin and Victor Garber. Whose chemistry was not even exploited in this sad excuse of a finale. What had happened to the Alias that we all knew and love? The answer is, it got LOST in the shuffle.moreless

The truth took time; time I'll never get back.

By JJ_Alias, Apr 15, 2011

"Reprisal" saved this finale. It was a quick, at times heart-wrenching, and pretty much epic, in some aspects.

But all that stopped when this episode began. Two words, "Please. No." Although it closed some doors nicely and, in a few respects, everything came full circle, all the time in the world cannot make me love this SERIES finale. Some slated "Resurrection" (the third season finale), I'd bet about 80% of them would've loved to tune into an episode at least HALF as decent as it this time around.

Jack's dead, Irina's dead, and it seems Dan Brown lent some of his "Da Vinci Code" to this episode. It was so insulting. How could you let it happen JJ? You are a genious, you could have found some way to fix it. I respect you SO much, and yet you abandoned the show you love.

More on Irina Derevko. Everything connected to her was dashed. Over the years, this strong, above money, INTELLIGENT woman had been portrayed, and we were given a vamped up version of Dick Dastardly, and yes, she finally caught her pigeon, and oh so smartly fell through the glass ceiling which she KNEW was going to smash but yet continued to reach for it, not even contemplating that after years of deception, she could get Sydney's help, and still get the Horizon with some quickly constucted story.

Make no mistake, the actors were fantastic. Top notch, as always. It is the writers who will have to live with this. Perhaps they transferred some feelings from within themselves into Arvin Sloane; they can, for eternity, remember the hurt they've caused, only have themselves to blame, and they can have all the time in the world to think about it.

Well done to the cast. You did phenomenally with what you were handed! And it's always good to see Lena Olin back! Oh, but where was your onscreen sister, Katya? Well, perhaps a fellow reviewer of this episode can answer that, the show must've got "LOST in the shuffle". Or maybe in the CRUISE they seemed to take this season, and all their slacking off, it was just IMPOSSIBLE to do.

Nevertheless. 5 great years. 50 unforgettable moments. 500% from JJ overall. And 5000 times a day, I wish it were coming back.moreless

Bad ending, bad series

By Eldryn, Apr 15, 2011

Anyone who gives this series overall something over 8 points, is... well, no comment.

I watched it, some of the beginnings and endings of each season were great, but in the middle, this series was boring as hell and had the worst \"villians\" I\'ve seen so far. Sloane was cool, yes, but also just in the beginning, not after 100 of changes. Anyway, as I said, I watched all of it, and sure, it\'s one of the better shows out there, but overall it was the \"worst of the good shows\".

No comparison to really breathtaking ones like Lost, 24, The Shield, Boomtown or similar.

Anyway, besides all that the ending was really, really bad.

All I can say is, please: Don\'t let this happen with Lost - the best series ever (so far).moreless

This series knows how to go out in class. I've seen this episode three times now, and have loved it every time.

By Tim_Bronx, Apr 15, 2011

This series knows how to go out in class. Yes there were some disappointments in the finale but overall it was much better then the past couple of seasons have been and kudos goes to the producers for raising the bar once again. I've seen this episode three times now, and have loved it every time.

I had suspected Jack would get killed off the show and yet I found it shocking just the same when Sloane shot him in the chest. The look in Sydney's eyes, right when she got to shoot Sloane though was priceless. Sloane killed her fiancĂ©e, friend, and now her father? You could see all the anger swelling up in Sydney's face as she finally got to shoot Sloane not once, not twice, but four times and then straight in the head.

The scene that had Sydney and Jack outside with Jack dying, telling Sydney to go along with out him was one of the most moving scenes I've seen on television. Both Victor Garber and especially Jennifer Garner deserve an Emmy for it. You got to love though how Jack went out, taking the just resurrected, immortal Sloane with him. "You beat death Arvin, but you couldn't beat me." Jack gave Sloane a fate worse then death. He wasn't going down alone.

Which leads us to Rimbaldi. I had suspected Rimbaldi's endgame was immortality which helps explain a lot: the clockmaker in season one episode six, the old inmate two episodes ago. I've heard many comments though about why Rimbaldi used Immortality on so many other people but not on himself. I can only assume he realized that immortality isn't all it's cracked up to be. Just ask Sloane. I was a little disappointed that they didn't fully explain how Sydney was the Chosen One and why certain Rimbaldi prophecies didn't come true. He had predicted The Passenger and The Chosen One would fight, resulting in one of them dying. We were assured in season three that Nadia was the passenger (she was able to deliver a message from Rimbaldi using that green liquid) and we had been told Sydney was The Chosen One. But the only fight they had was at the end of season four and neither one died as of a result of that fight. Nadia did die at the hands of Sloane though so it is possible that he was The Chosen One. It doesn't look like we'll ever be certain though.

The prophecy on Page 47 though, if you consider it, did come true in a sense. Jack has told Sydney before that Irina comes from the Greek word eirene which means "peace". At the end of season two when Il Dire (the Rimbaldi machine) printed out the word peace, maybe Sloane shouldn't have interpreted it literally and instead should have taken it as Irina. The message then could have been saying that Irina would be the greatest power. In this sense Sydney did "render the greatest power to utter desolation" when she battled her mom to her death. This is all speculation though.

This leads to my one other disappointed, that Irina turned out completely evil. It makes perfect sense plot wise but it just doesn't seem in character for her. I see how Irina could swing both ways: good or evil. In one way she did work for the KGB, and she's just been manipulating everyone to get what she wants, and all this time she's really just wanted power. It's just that Irina's been leaning towards the good side for so long, it was just a shock to see her act completely evil. I guess though, while she really has always loved Sydney, she would let nothing get in her way of becoming the ultimate power. It was ironic that Irina died reaching out for immortality. Sydney lost both of her parents in a matter of hours. Now that's a rough day. Once again dead Nadia was much wittier then the real Nadia and provided many one liners. I loved the scene where Sloane said he was glad Nadia was there as a witness or else he wouldn't believe it with his own eyes. Nadia responded with: "You're talking to your dead daughter, now's not the time to question your sanity." I loved that Nadia also left him as he was stranded in the cavern. I guess even Sloane's conscious realized he deserved to be alone.

The ending was well done. Sydney and Vaughn finally got to live out their lives, watching the sunset on the beach. It seemed very in character for Dixon to stay with A.P.O. and become head director, it's all he has left. I also liked that Sark is still out there making trouble as usual. Makes it seem as if the 'Alias' world really will still keep going on.

Overall this was an excellent episode. While 'Alias' unarguably, has gone down in quality over the past couple of years it still remains one of the most entertaining shows on television and that's hard to accomplish.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Sark: "Did it have to be so filthy. I mean really. If Rimbaldi could prophesize the future he might have advised me not to wear $500 shoes." Here's hoping for a Sark spin-off.

- The flashbacks were a nice addition and showed many important scenes in Sydney's life that we had heard about but never seen.

- In a flashback Francie mentioned her boyfriend Charlie was bringing a Danny somebody. It was nice to have one last mention of Danny, the only character on 'Alias' who didn't rise from the grave. The only problem I have with this is that Sydney didn't met Danny until after she already worked at SD-6. Does anybody remember Noah? I blame this on the continuous shuffling of new writers. It still bothers me though.

- Uh-oh Isabelle got her hands on the Indicator Puzzle. Could we have a future spy here?

- Sydney: "This is my purpose. I was meant to do this."

Final Rating: No matter the small disappointments. This was the finale Alias deserved 4 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx

Find this review and many others at: www.motionpicturereviews.commoreless

A satisfying and yet unsatisfying episode.

By Marilyn20, Apr 15, 2011

After just watching this episode I must admit it ties up many loose ends but does not satisfy me enough to say that its is the best finale it could possibly be

I was thoroughly disappointed the way they finished Irina Derevko. They change this character from cool spy mother to crazy maniac mother. In all the episodes of Alias my favourite episodes are the ones where Irina and Sydney get along(eg. Maternal Instinct). Seeing that obsession driven Irina on that glass platform reaching out for the horizon while the glass cracks beneath her with Sydney calling for her to come back was not a good ending for her. I think that they should have at least had Irina choosing her daughter over Rambaldi. It would have been nice to see her visiting Sydney and her granddaughter.

BTW: DEFINITELY shouldnt have killed off Nadia and Renee

I was definitely impressed by the way they finished Sloane. Having a dying Jack say \"You may have beaten death...but you can\'t beat me\" and then using the explosive to kill himself and trap Sloane forever was satisfying to see.

At the final scene on Sydney and Vaughn\'s beachhouse was also a fabulous scene. Seeing Sark had survived was great cos he is definitely at the top of my favourite bad guys. It was also great seeing Isabelle putting together that puzzle just like Sydney had done. It would be nice if she became a spy then they could have a big spy family!

Loose ends: The other Derevko sister Katya, Jack\'s funeral, Rachel and Sark\'s relationship, Kelly Peytonmoreless

Character assassination - awful

By Winchestress, Apr 15, 2011

I was a rabid ALIAS watcher for a lot of years. I stopped watching at the beginning of S5 when they murdered Vaughn. Even if he came back, it wasn't the same without him. However, I figured I'd better tune in for the series finale. God, what a nightmare. They simply tried to do too much - I appreciated the resolving of the Rambaldi question, and I thought Ron Rifkin's performance was absolutely inspired. It's the only reason I rated this as high as I did. But wasting the talents of people like Mia Maestro and David Anders - yeesh. Both could have made their parts in the finale amazing and they simply had nothing to work with. I'm angriest, however, about the fate of the Spyparents. Jack and Irina were my favourite characters on the show, for their chemistry, their past and everything they shared. They were reduced to an impotent ideologue and an over-the-top Cold War villain in this episode, and I was furious. Irina in particular - she's far too complex a character to give in to simple power methods! She's too brilliant to think that she can just hijack nuclear armaments without any consequence whatsoever! And the fact that they died with no closure of any kind - Sydney didn't even tell her mother about her father - that hurt the most. Just overall? J.J. Abrams clearly has no respect for his fans when he pulls things like this. It's a cheap, crass way to end a fantastic show. I'd have been happier if the show had ended after four seasons - at least they'd have gone out on top.moreless

Could hardly have been any better

By diecaro, Apr 15, 2011

I must admit I'm quite sad that they killed off so many characters this season and I was especially disappointed when Jack died. But then again the writers did an amazing job with this two hour season finale and made all the deaths kinda worth it.

The entire season had its ups and downs which I didn't always enjoy. But the finale brought the closure the audience needed and wanted - although it was weird that of all people Sark got to live... In the end, Sydney and Vaughn were a happy family with their potential spy girl and their son Jack. I liked the beach theme and that they got to see Dixon in the end again.

I was kinda disappointed, however, that Irina turned out to be the final nemesis, but I guess it was conveniant. How they ended things with Sloan on the other hand were just brilliant, I couldn't have imagined a better "end" for him. "Haunted" by his daughter's "ghost", trapped for eternity. Quite what he deserved, wasn't it?

Marshal, Rachel and the other agents all had a fair share of the finale and we even got to see some of our beloved old characters in this season. I'd say it was a decent ending to a great show and these two episodes couldn't have been any better!moreless

Good episode with great conclusion, but really not the best (contains spoilers).

By tvlovinarria, Apr 15, 2011

I loved the conclusion to this episode. Vaughn and Sydney have escaped the spy-life and are living (or hiding away) on a beautiful beach. Baby Isabelle is not about seven years old and they have a baby boy named Jack, in honor of Sydney's father, Jack, who was killed by Sloane in this episode. Although they have escaped their lives as spies, Dixon comes by offering them a job involving Sark, which shows how truly inescapable that life is. Likewise, Isabelle assembles the project Christmas puzzle that Sydney also assembled as a child, which is a great foreshadowing if they ever wanted to pick up the show in the future (although, unfortunately, I strongly doubt it).

One of the weakest parts of this show was the way in which so many pivotal characters died (or didn't) so easily and in such unsatisfying ways. Although a new character, Tom Grace's death was too easy and anti-climactic. These people try every day to escape death, yet he sits in the subway as the bomb goes off, just giving up. I mean, it wasn't even as if he was sacrificing himself, he just gave up, even after Rachel said she would have gone out with him if he had asked. Jack is shot by Sloane, but doesn't even die immediately. His death is drawn out with Sydney crying about leaving him behind. The only bright spot to his death was when he went to the cavern underground and caved it in to trap Sloane. We finally see Sloane killed - yay! But wait, never mind, now he's suddenly immortal (but trapped under the earth forever?). I know she didn't die in this episode, but Nadia's death was too easy, and I know a lot of people say this, but why wake her up just to kill her right away. Then, they just have to bring back her ghost, which just seemed to discredit everything by making the almost completely unbelievable Rambaldi quest completely unbelievable. Another disappointing death - although this one was actually a death - was Irina's. Sydney and Irina fight (finally!), but she ends up just falling through the glass ceiling to her death. Anticlimactic much?

All in all, this episode was very satisfying, especially the glimpse into the future where Vaughn and Sydney were finally happy and away from the spy life (for now). This series is truly amazing (I've seen the whole thing twice through now, and tons of episode many more times than that) and I would recommend it for everyone to watch!moreless

A bit disappointing...

By piwai, Apr 15, 2011

I've discovered Alias not so far ago and enjoyed it very much throughout the 5 seasons. However, I don't think that finale did justice to the series. Some points were not so great, especially the Rambaldi storyline. I mean, come on! All that excitement around Rambaldi, all that time spent collecting artefacts and the writers only came up with immortality? What a disappointement! What's more, I did not really understand what the story about the stars falling from the sky added to the already dense plot. To me, the worst of all was the missiles storyline! I thought it was so out of place! What good would it do for Irina to bomb Washington and London? You tell me... About Thomas Grace's death, I thought it did not make any sense all the more as the pretty Rachel Gibson told him she would have said yes if he had asked her out... Last thing, I would have liked to see Jack live on to be with his daughter in the end. They both have survived 5 seasons, why suddenly decide to kill him? To make him a hero? *sigh* Jack was not necessary to bury Sloane, the underground gallery could have collapsed by itself...

All in all, I think I was waiting for something better after watching 5 seasons, a kind of worthy goodbye to this world I felt part of... Anyway, Alias was a good show which introduced talented actors. Too bad it had to end! Farewell Jack, Irina, Sidney, Vaughn, Marshall, Sloane, Sark...moreless

Load More Reviews