Alien Nation (1989)

Show Reviews (16)

Great

Aliens drop by and stay on earth because we are so good to homeless people and respect human rights.

By twilightboy, Jan 02, 2013

The reason why I watched this show was that the attraction those huge bald heads caused on me, oh yeah and the fact that these aliens had several hearts and were much more powerful than humans.

The aliens came one day and stayed forever, creating as usual xenophobia between the locals and the newcomers. The good thing is that everybody learns to get along and the aliens join our society in different ways. One of them, yeah, in the police department and the magical, criminal beating, murders solving, donuts eating intergalactic couple is created.

Good show although I never knew how it ended.moreless

One of my all time favorites!

By Nikkles, Oct 24, 2008

Alien Nation is one of my all time favorites. It really is a classic sci-fi, mainly for its universal story. Its about two cultures coming together, which means they sometimes clash but ultimately the world is a more interesting and creative place for it. Alien Nation also has some of the best written aliens on TV, probably due to them not being our opposite (emotionless robot people). All the characters on the show have heart and try to do the best they can with the talents and strengths they have. I would highly recommend the show to lovers of cop shows, buddy movies, and of course science fiction.moreless

Please help me!!

By LadyWillpower, Sep 06, 2007

Sorry this isnt a review as such although I love this programme and I would love them to have made many more. Why does the last episode 'Green Eyes' finish on such a cliff hanger? All I have on my DVD is Kathy and Sikes rushing off to IT to see George. Have I missed something?? Does anyone know where I can find the five films that went after the series as I am having so much trouble trying to find them in the UK. I really love this programme and is so much more down to earth than star wars or star trek and really made me think a lot too.moreless

I watched the first series and it was great, I am looking forward to seeing the rest if the series but I am dificulty in getting it. If any one knows where drop me a line.

By gunado, Aug 08, 2007

It was an excellent series when it was first aired. The concept pf another species living on earth was cutting edge at the time. The first season was a bit slow to get started but once it progresed the story line was excellent.

I was looking forward to the next season to see how it followers on. The concept of the aliens is great, humonoid but different. The question to see if Sykes and Saharh get together is still intreiging. The cast has grown with each episode and their interaction is getting better and better with each episode.

I would recomend this series to any one that is looking for a new challanging sci-fi adventure.moreless

I loved this show! It's a bit dated now, but the themes of racism, xenophobia, slavery, and separatism are pretty timeless, unfortunately. Plus, I liked the cool bald spotted coneheads of our visitors.

By sistersun, Mar 18, 2007

'Alien Nation' was a fun little science fiction series from the late eighties, derived from the big-screen movie of the same name. The premise (and introduction of just about every episode) was something to the effect that "Five years ago, an alien slave ship made an emergency landing in California's Mojave Desert; the 250,000 aliens (Newcomers) aboard have assimilated into human society, taking on roles from small-time criminality to big-time entrepreneurship." For lack of initiative, the writers made this into a basic cop-buddy show, paring up a human detective with a Newcomer, the first alien to have made detective grade. It starred Gary Graham (Matt Sikes) as the human cop, Eric Pierpoint (Sam 'George' Francisco) as the Newcomer cop; Michelle Scarabelli (Susan Francisco) as George's wife and advertising executive; Sean Six (Buck Francisco) as Susan and George's teenaged rebel son; and Terri Treas (Cathy Frankel) as Sike's Newcomer neighbor and sometimes love interest.

Over the course of the short series and several TV movies that followed, Newcomer/human relationships and culture were explored, and the themes of racism, xenophobia, slavery, and separatism examined, often with a rather heavy hand. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the show, and its sometimes corny humor.moreless

An awesome sci fi show.

By sfviewer, Sep 12, 2006

This show is based on the movie of the same name. It picks up where the movie left off. It expands on the universe set up by the movie. It explores possibilities not seen in the movie. This is a really good series, despite trying to live up to the movie's hype, this show stands on its own without necessarily comparing it to the movie. It's a fast paced show, it's drama, it feels so much like a cop show but it's sci fi and have aliens in the plot. It's a really cool concept, it's got enough good stories to fill you in each week.moreless

although Alien Nation was largely vilified by critics and even disowned by some of the people who created it, I think they\'re missing out. This is an excellent film.

By damofozz, Jun 24, 2006

Alien Nation is one of those movies that\'s so good it\'s hard to know where to lavish praise first. From the opening scene of an ominous flying saucer hovering over L.A., it\'s clear that something special is going on here. Director Graham Baker has done an excellent job portraying the Newcomers as the new minority on the planet, from their earnest yet awkward attempts to adopt human ways (picture aliens in business suits who live in houses with white picket fences) to their gritty back-alley dealings in drugs and murder.

Caan and Patinkin are wonderful as the at-odds partners who slowly form a bond of mutual respect and trust, largely through friendly and not-so-friendly banter (Sykes decides the name \"Sam Francisco\" is too ludicrous to use and summarily dubs his partner \"George.\" Tit for tat, George then explains that \"Sykes\" means **** head\" in the Newcomer\'s native tongue.) Terence Stamp also excels as Newcomer businessman and community leader William Harcourt, who has learned one lesson too many from his former masters.

Writer Rockne S. O\'Bannon has done a fine job with the script, creating a story that\'s both intriguing and touching, as well as funny and serious. The film also manages to explore modern-day social issues while telling a gripping crime story in the process. Together O\'Bannon, Graham, Patinkin and Caan created a rich tableau with Alien Nation, and it\'s easy to see why the film went on to spawn a TV series (albeit short-lived) and five television movies.moreless

Alien Nation had characters that lived and breathed and changed and grew as the season progressed. Watching it on DVD reminded me how much I loved how the people evolved and dealt with topics such as racism and learned from their experiences.

By JoellaBlue, Jun 09, 2006

Watching all the episodes back to back reminded me of how much I loved the show. The car pounding in the credits still makes me laugh as does George's constant misremembering of idioms. They seemed like people; I really cared about what happened to them. It was a show on the edge and it's a shame that it ended so soon. The one song, by Melissa Etheridge, I remembered all these years was in "Green Eyes" when Cathy told Matt they were too different. That song always took me back and now, on DVD, I can see it again.moreless

This show was one of my favorites to watch when I was younger.

By Vice82, Jun 08, 2006

This show was one of my favorites to watch when I was younger. Alien Nation gave a new twist to the cop buddy shows by having one of the partners being an ex-slave who's ship crashed on Earth with a whole society aboard who had to find ways to fit into Earths culture in Los Angeles. This show dealt with how the cultures of the two races collided and how the aliens tried to make Earth their new home and fit into society though they had many differences from humans, they were stronger, smarter, and ate foods that humans would find disgusting but still managed to find a place in society even though many wanted them to leave.moreless

Load More Reviews