All in the Family

Show Reviews (69)

Great

The Best Show Ever

By nataliesohn, Jun 09, 2013

This is the most intelligent, funniest and best show ever made. I wish there were more TV programs of this caliber.

The Best and Funniest Ever

By FaithZamek, Nov 30, 2012

I love Lucy is my second choice,but all in the family is still my favorite .I never missed an episode when I was a kid,and like Lucy can see it over and over and still love made as funny as this today .All 4 actors great,story lines controversial and favorite episode on tv of all time,Sammy Davis Jr.

Visit,laughed from beginning to hear in ranked number 13 on the funniest tv episode of all time ,think it should have been in the can't they make shows this funny new

compares to this .moreless

A well crafted show.

By emeraldcity, May 30, 2012

It was probably difficult to do a show like this from an acting point of view since many of the characters were very different than the actors who played them. A classic show made in an era when such shows were possible. Not made by people who were overly concerned about getting their faces on magazines covers. It was a show of its times that dealt with many issues that took place in those times , unlike sitcoms today that basically avoid anything controversial in favour of plot lines like boy meets girl, girl meets boy, boy meets ostrich, etc.moreless

One of the Greatest of all times

By gem228, Feb 14, 2012

This show is one of the best sitcoms of all time in my opinion.

All in the Family focuses on life at 704 Hauser Street in Queens. There we see the life and times of Archie Bunker, his wife Edith, daughter Gloria and son-in-law Mike. No subject, politics, race relations, sex, is taboo in the Bunker household.

By meathead704, Nov 30, 2011

All in the Family is definitely one of the greatest sitcoms ever produced. It was a show that was the first to take on such taboo topics as race, religion and politics and do so with no boundaries. The great cast and excellent writing are another reason why All in the Family remains so popular more than 30 years after it ended production. Many of the popular sitcoms that exist today owe their sucsess to All in the Family.

perfect

By futuramarama, Sep 12, 2011

this is such a hilarious sitcom! I like it a lot. Archie Bunker is a hilarious character. The show isn't too adult oriented or anything, but it is really hilarious. Archie often argues on subjects with Mike "Meathead" Stivic, or his daughter Gloria, or wife Edith. Funny show. I don't watch it a lot but I have yet to see an episode I did not like a lot or I did not laugh at. Really hilarious, my overall grade for this show is an A+, just an all around funny, good show, I recommend to anyone who likes classic sitcomsmoreless

Time Capsule Material

By cooperkettle, May 17, 2011

All In The Family is considered by many to be the most politically and socially charged show since the birth of televison. I usually laugh at comments such as this - but in all honesty it's the truth.

With such hot topics as culture clash, racism, women's liberation, and the Vietnam War among many others - All In The Family should be considered America's first reality television program, as the show is very much true to how life really is.

Everyone has an "Archie" or "Edith" in their family or at least knows one.

By tvqueen1969, Jun 14, 2010

This was a groundbreaking, wonderful show from the mind of Norman Lear. I love alot of his shows, but, All In The Family is one I can relate to. I have a couple uncles who were like Archie and an aunt who reminded me of Edith. One of my favorite episodes is "The Longest Kiss" because it starts out with an argument over Gloria being allergic to lima beans and ends with everyone doing something crazy when Archie finally arrives home and opens the door. The look on his face is hysterical. I can't imagine anybody else playing the four main characters as wonderfully as Carroll O'Connor, Jean Stapleton, Sally Struthers and Rob Reiner did. All in The Family was such a success that two equally terrific and funny shows were spun-off. They were "Maude" and "The Jeffersons". Bea Arthur played Edith's cousin Maude Findlay in a two episodes. Norman Lear liked her so much, she got her own show in 1972 and in 1975, George, Weezy and Lionel were also spun off into "The Jeffersons" because they were so well liked as the Bunker's neighbors. Because it is released on dvd and aired on TVLand, many generations of fans can enjoy it.moreless

Very great show, very political, couldn't be done today. Unintentionally led to the Reagan Revolution as a show that was supposed to make fun of conservatism actually led to its rebirth.

By guyroy1971, Jun 14, 2010

All in the Family was considered to be one of the best shows on TV, and Norman Lear, the creator, was during its run hailed as a genius. All the regulars in the show are well known (Rob Reiner, Sally Struthers, Jean Stapleton, and of course the late Carroll O'Connor as Archie.) Even got the Jefferson's started. Very highly rated and critically acclaimed.

However, the show had critics, and after 35 years or so, the critics look like they were right. The show has not had the legs as some of its contemporaries, like MASH. The premise of the show was Archie, a complete bigot (in just about every way) complaining about the state of the world in the 70's. He was supposed to be a relic, clutching onto an idealized past where men were men and people knew their place. The theme song was famously "those were the days". He was always battling with his liberal daughter, his tired-of-his-ways wife, and son in law (Reiner) who constantly challenged his beliefs. Norman Lear intended Archie to be a fuddy-duddy buffoon, a relic of the past in the glorious afterglow of 60's radicalism.

Critics pointed out the show was too clever for its own good. The show was a big hit, but not for the reasons Lear thought. Most of the viewers did not see the satire and instead related to Archie. The 70's were not a good time to be an American. Oil shocks, the decline of manufacturing, and defeat in Vietnam and later Iran hostages, plus the cities (especially pre-Giuliani New York) were filled with immorality and urban decay.

People saw Archie as a frugal, blue collar, hard working member of the "greatest generation", disgusted with what "modern society" has wrought. They agreed with Archie. Plus Reiner's character was, unintentionally, a pre- caricature of a dirty hippie. Unemployed, thinking he was smart because of college education but without accomplishment, dirty, fat and sloppy. Sally, Archie's daughter was an empty headed, whiny brat.

Between Archie and the 70's, people chose Archie without the racism. Perhaps did as much to usher in the Reagan revolution as Carter's incompetence and Reagan's speeches. Quite the unintended outcome from a show that wanted to make fun of conservatives.moreless

I really like the show because how funny racism could be so ignorant and funny. Showed that Carroll o Connor was a great actor he went from being a racist and judgemental about everything. I thought the show was funny.

By GINA710, May 05, 2010

i liked all the old shows like all in the family and the jeffersons because it showed two sides the bunkers the white side and the jeffersons and the black side of racism. Edith was hillarious too she loved the hell out archie especially when he use to call her dingbat. and told her to stifle it. Gloria and Mike was hillarious too especially when mike and archie use to get into arguments about racism and political issues. It was a great show about racism but it was funny. I really liked it and it showed that Carroll o'Connor was a great actor he played a racist and then he played whiteman that was interested in a black woman in the heat of the night.moreless

Load More Reviews