Fox Cancels American Dad, TBS Picks Up American Dad

By Tim Surette

Jul 16, 2013

Seth MacFarlane's empire is crumbling! The poor guy will only have TWO shows in Fox's Sunday-night Animation Domination programming block in the fall, and *gasp* maybe only one in 2014. The upcoming tenth season of MacFarlane's American Dad! will be the last one to air on Fox. But before you drop some spare change in MacFarlane's paper cup, you should also know that American Dad! will still get an eleventh season, but on its new home of TBS. 

Yep, American Dad! has effectively been canceled by Fox, but not totally, because it's moving to a new network. TBS has ordered 15 all-new episodes for the fall of 2014. The cable network and MacFarlane aren't exactly strange bedfellows; TBS has aired repeats of American Dad! and Family Guy for years now. Reruns of the eleventh season will air on TBS's sister network, Adult Swim.

MacFarlane will still have three shows on Fox in the upcoming season; Family Guy isn't going anywhere, American Dad! will wrap up its run, and the new live-action comedy Dads will make a go at Tuesdays nights. The Cleveland Show was quietly canceled in May. 

• Comments (106)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • katehammer666 Apr 22, 2015

When is American Dad starting again?! It says they were picked up for 15 or 22 episodes, yet there's only 10 out?!

• shiner Feb 16, 2015

Task list for FOX network;

#1 cancel the Simpsons. It's like seeing your grandmother having a bikini wardrobe malfunction.

#2 stay away from zombies. The Walking Dead has it covered for now.

#3 keep Sunday evenings lineup filled with animated comedies. It's the one night I get to watch TV, and I likey some animated comedy!

#4 see number 1. Seriously. And I love the Simpson family. Just want to see them go out with the little dignity they have left.

#5 Futurama is dead. Please don't listen to these crazy people. The first two seasons were honestly the only good ones.

• Hon17 Jan 08, 2015

bring back Futurama best f****** show ever might even be better than the Simpsons and Family Guy

• ryanbruce1257 Feb 16, 2015

Yep, FUTURAMA IS BAD A$$!!!

• dednerant Dec 31, 2014

I love Family Guy but it seems that to me it has lost it egde, they don't seem as funny as it used to be. the Cleveland show resumed what family guy used to be.

• caseywalters397 Nov 18, 2013

I liked American Dad a lot! I also like Family Guy as well! I feel that the Cleavlend Show was a mistake from the beginning. They ruined his charchter by making him completely different than who he was on Family Guy. If they should cancel any show, it should Bob's Burgers or The Simpsons. To be honest, the Simpsons overstayed it's welcome a long time ago. The Simpsons stopped being funny in the late 90's. A show that I wish was never canceled by Fox was Napoleon Dynamite. That show was halarious!

• Hon17 Jan 08, 2015

you're f****** stupid and everybody that like your comment is also f****** stupid Simpsons is still funny as hell Family Guy is funny as hell but they lowered the bar to where there is no bar anymore at least the Simpsons still have some type of innocence instead of just crude humor which I do for a very funny though but still

• nursebetty29 Feb 01, 2015

...are you high?

• TerryMcginnis1281 Jan 27, 2015

Cry much?

• jerseyrick Aug 06, 2013

One of the major clues that FOX is about to cancel one of its Animation Domination series is when it is relegated to either the 7 o'clock or 7:30 time slots and episodes almost never air because it is pre-empted by NFL Football, Baseball or NASCAR. That's what happened with King of the Hill and that's what happened with The Cleveland Show just before they were put into cancellation heaven.

Here's a bold prediction, Since FOX ADHD series only get one season and then are rotated out for new series each season (Per FOX's press release) for the 2014-2015 season you'll probably either see Axe Cop, High School USA! or both occupy the former Cleveland Show and American Dad slots. As far as Cosmo is concerned if they put it in a Sunday AD slot it won't even last for two episodes before being cancelled because nobody other then Seth MacFarlane gives a crap about Carl Sagan and his teachings.

MacFarlane's empire is indeed crumbling around him.

• daff3ww Aug 06, 2013

i know this is old but i wonder why tbs got american dad and not adult swim

• moogman13 May 14, 2014

Doesn't matter really, they're both owned by the same company, Turner Broadcasting. It's most likely on TBS since it needs the ratings boost and more shows, where as Adult Swim (Cartoon Network) is kind of flooded with options that they can rotate shows.

• jerseyrick Aug 06, 2013

I'm wondering that too... you'd think that [adult swim] would be the logical choice.

• Boolia Jul 31, 2013

I'm sad TBS picked it up because I don't get it since I don't have cable, but glad that it's still going so I wan watch it online.

• Madelynn1984 Jul 18, 2013

Family Guy is still making new episodes? I had no idea. :P

• mrjimmyjames Jul 18, 2013

I'd like to know if AD's costs had anything to do with the cancellation. After all, 9 or 10 seasons often leads to cancellation b/c of costs.

• See More Comments (53)