The Andromeda Strain

Show Reviews (8)

Fair

By danharr, Nov 22, 2008

An ok remake as far as remakes go now a days. The show started off with much promise. It successfully adapted the story to modern times. The list of b grade tv and movie stars did well. The familiarity of people we know from other works helped. The show towards the end had it's problems with a-typical scifi cheese. With the character played by Rick Schroder an unneeded ode to pc sensibilities was thrown in sadly. Although up until the end all the elements worked properly. Sadly the cliches and bad writing caught up with the show in the end. Even though I'll never add this show to my collection I did appreciate the build-up and even the open ended way things were left but due to the terrible job of closing the story. I hope they won't attempt another go at the story. This one needs to be left in annuals of tv history as just another attempt in a long list of remakes that didn't quite come together.moreless

An appalling remake of a brilliant and beloved Sci-Fi Classic.

By monkihead, May 28, 2008

The remake of this fine Sci-fi classic is nothing more than a re-worked politically correct diatribe. From the very beginning it launches into a message of how government is bad, shouldn't be trusted and anyone that is anti-establishment is the only one who is right and well grounded. They even managed to squeeze a sexual orientation agenda position on one of the characters (how the Andromeda virus cares about this, I don't know) who is military and how "ridiculous the don't ask, don't tell policy is." The especially offensive point of this movie is the fact it released on Memorial Day, a day to honor our civil war dead, and here we have a movie that does nothing but portray our military as murderers and incompetent boobs. The only way I can best describe the wildfire team's composition is a collection of young idealists that should all gather for a photo-op for the Rainbow Coalition poster children edition; not one of them has a gray hair on their head, and yet they are the leaders in their field....puh-lease. I was looking forward to the updating of CGI effects to this wonderful classic, and instead we received video game grade eye candy graphics and a wildfire lab that looks like it was borrowed from CSI Vegas; even the robot had the essential CSI investigator flashlight. They hijacked a thoughtful scientific thriller and painted it over with a transparent, weak and shameful agenda driven vehicle for Hollywood's ideology. This movie is completely intellectually bankrupt.moreless

Skip it.

By gama69g, May 27, 2008

This was ridiculous. I can't believe Ridley Scott put his name on it. Cheesy background music on almost every scene should have been a hint to me to stop watching. It gets better with the pointless current affairs political jabs. Hardly any attempt is made for the viewer to start caring about any one person. It is an amateurish attempt at being serious and professional. Did they really need to have 3D rendered graphics of birds, snakes, and F16? That would have been fine were they not so dated looking. The one scene where the F16 is taking off for example, notice the ripples in the exhaust. For that matter the fake exhaust smoke added to the trucks. Very off putting. It is a shame since the story is so good, and interesting, just the implementation is not up to par.moreless

Unnecessary remake of a sci-fi classic

By rexbo, May 25, 2008

If you've seen the original 1971 movie The Andromeda Strain don't bother watching this. The original movie, even though it is 37 years old, is superior in every way. And at half the length, it captures the audience from beginning to end, whereas this 2008 remake tends to spend a lot of time on story filler that is, frankly, not very interesting. The 2008 remake does take the story into the 21st century, however, by updating the lab and special effects, but in my opinion that's not enough to justify this remake. If you haven't seen the original, this series is worth watching. Judged on its own merits, it is a decent tv movie, on par with for example the interesting but ultimately disappointing mini-series The Triangle. The story is interesting, the acting decent and production values are good. If you're looking to kill a few hours you could do worse.moreless

ok watchable and intriguing but like all recent (last 15 years) movies really needs a lot more effort to make it "plausible". SPOILER don't read!!!

*the follow comments are intended to be read by the producers

By Denun1, May 24, 2008

ok for the wormhole and all other stuff, it's sci-fi so perfect but what i don't understand is:

a) a facility/laboratory like that one, needs at least 500 person to run (who clean the washroom? :D)

b) a facility that cost trillion $ is going to explode and no one cares?

c) never heard of civilian scientist that has the authorization to stop a nuke to detonate... hey man!!! is it possible there is no a one that works there that can stop the nuke? (i don't know a director maybe? a guardian? at least the janitor? ...yeah i forgot no one works there) d) what's the purpose of the journalist in the plot?

e) why all scientist/us president are young beyond any imagination, beautiful and heroic?

e2) why all military are old, fat and insane to wipe out everyone on earth?

f) why everything is solved in the last 5 seconds?

g) can a touchscreen for autodestruction be broken accidentally so easily?moreless

Would have enjoyed it more without the obvious holes in the plot.

INCLUDES SPOILERS

By diamosuk, May 14, 2008

I found this quite absorbing and having read the book and seen the film wondered how they would update for more recent times.

The conspiracy/army/politician sub-plot has been done to death and was unecessary, and as said before the journalist bit didn't add anything, but they didn't ruin the story either.

My main misgivings were with some major plot devices:

1. If you were from the future sending a message back through time, would you hide the message in a piece of futuristic technology that took the protaganists a long time, lots of effort, and luck, to 1st discover and then decipher or would you put a piece of paper in there with "Hey guys were in a bit of trouble...etc" written on it!

2. The plot revolved around people from the future needing us to help them kill the bug...but how exactly were we to get that help to them?

3. The virus mutated into...

okay you get my drift. It's still worth a watch.moreless

If you remember the original 70's movie you might be in for a few surprises. It is a topical update and generally very entertaining. But part one is better than part two which is a bit of a let-down after what came before.

By radioink, May 11, 2008

The cast work really well here and the money is really up there on the screen. For a tv mini-series this aint bad. The effects are excellent and genuinely creepy at the beginning. I must note the chainsaw scene - not one for the kiddies! The story is intriguing if you have not seen the original. It is your average story of satellite crashes to earth, releases some leathal virus which continues to mutate and evade the good folk of some back-water community in the US of A. They do what they always do - send in some unsuspecting military types to check things out. Of course lots of people die so they send in the scientists who have a huge super-secret lab with incredible futuristic computers. From there they watch event unfold and muse on what is possibly happening and how they can possibly stop it.

Part one is a helluva lot of fun with lots of action and great effects and keep-you-guessing moments. Part two is less so, but builds to a satisfying, but predictable climax.

Only 2 gripes:

1. The ludacris reporter b-plot which builds to nothing and simply seems to be superfluous padding - how the heck the virus did not catch him up at the end anyway?

2. The super-duper scientists layer. It seems a bit too advanced and beyond the realism displayed in outside world.

Definately worth a watch.moreless