The Andromeda Strain

Fair
6.6

The Ultimate Movie Review! -- @tss5078

By Tss50782625, Aug 10, 2014

In 2008, The Scott brothers, along with the master of the mini-series, Mikael Salomon, decided to remake the 1969 debut novel and 1971 film, The Andromeda Strain, written by famed Jurassic Park author, Michael Crichton. The film was in serious need of an upgrade, and while the new technology really enhanced the film, making it all the more believable, the updates to the story along with the new characters that were introduced, really did the original story a disservice.

The story begins when a NASA satellite is knocked out of the sky by an unknown source, crashing outside a small town in Utah. Two teenagers find the satellite and take it home to investigate it, when they open the casing, all of a sudden they fall ill, and soon after, the town becomes a ghost town full of corpses. When the . Government discovers what happened, they bring in a team of Doctors to investigate, using a new state of the art facility, that has technology that isn't even supposed to exist.

Law & Order veteran, Benjamin Bratt stars and gives a performance that rivals anything else he's ever done. When most people think of Bratt, they see Detective Curtis from Law & Order or the guy that was married to Julia Roberts. It's how he is perceived and he's had a very hard time moving passed those defining events, but he is really good at what he does and deserves a lot more recognition then he gets.

Bratt plays the Doctor in charge of the team, and is paired with an all-star cast of different characters, meant to enhance the story. Ricky Schroder is the army's guy, a single, tough as nails brat, that wants to just blow everything up. Academy Award Winner, Viola Davis, plays an enhanced version of an original character, who is used sparingly, becoming almost obsolete. The final new addition to the team is Lost's Daniel Dae Kim, who I find to be a terrific actor. His character was an extremely stereotypical Chinese doctor, who specialized in biological warfare, and was completely unnecessary to the story. I understanding wanting to add diversity to the team, but the way his character was written, was just shy of crossing the line into racist.

This only character not in the original story that I felt belonged, was Bratt's right hand man (actually woman) played masterfully by Christa Miller from Scrubs. It was so strange to see her play a serious Doctor after watching he play a comedic one for almost a decade, but she was the one new addition I really liked.

The cast is rounded out by the Army General in charge played by the amazing Andre Braugher and a reporter trying to uncover the truth, played by Eric McCormack. Braugher's character remained the same, but McCormack's was changed to make him into a drug addict and I don't understand that either. The reporter was always one of the strongest and most interesting characters, so why replace him with a mess of a man that just escaped rehab?

The basic story was not changed, just modernized, and for that we are very thankful. The story was always a terrific tale of Science Fiction and an early message about the damage we are doing to our planet. I like how the story was updated and I loved the technological advancements. What I didn't like was how much they changed the cast. They wanted to make them more diverse and I don't have a problem with that, but this is not a story that focuses on individuals, it's more about the virus, the technology, and the human impact on our planet. In that sense, I felt it hurt the series, but the technology enhanced it, evening things out. The original novel and movie were 4 stars, and so is the remake. It's different, but there wasn't much harm done, the way you often see in remakes. I think Michale Crichton would have approved.moreless

You'll enjoy this remake despite the negative reviews you may have read here

By Stingus, Jul 17, 2014

I was immediately surprised at the start of this remake by the production values and intelligent screenplay. I expect a much lower standard from a TV remake. The original though a classic is slow paced by today's standards and this remake holds one's interest throughout. If you can accept this production for what it is--a TV remake with a lower budget, you will be in for an enjoyable few hours of entertainment. If you insist on comparing it to the original or to a videorati's standard, then you will be dissatisfied. Given that you can watch it for free there's no harm in checking out the first 10 minutes and deciding for yourself.moreless

By danharr, Nov 22, 2008

An ok remake as far as remakes go now a days. The show started off with much promise. It successfully adapted the story to modern times. The list of b grade tv and movie stars did well. The familiarity of people we know from other works helped. The show towards the end had it's problems with a-typical scifi cheese. With the character played by Rick Schroder an unneeded ode to pc sensibilities was thrown in sadly. Although up until the end all the elements worked properly. Sadly the cliches and bad writing caught up with the show in the end. Even though I'll never add this show to my collection I did appreciate the build-up and even the open ended way things were left but due to the terrible job of closing the story. I hope they won't attempt another go at the story. This one needs to be left in annuals of tv history as just another attempt in a long list of remakes that didn't quite come together.moreless

An appalling remake of a brilliant and beloved Sci-Fi Classic.

By monkihead, May 28, 2008

The remake of this fine Sci-fi classic is nothing more than a re-worked politically correct diatribe. From the very beginning it launches into a message of how government is bad, shouldn't be trusted and anyone that is anti-establishment is the only one who is right and well grounded. They even managed to squeeze a sexual orientation agenda position on one of the characters (how the Andromeda virus cares about this, I don't know) who is military and how "ridiculous the don't ask, don't tell policy is." The especially offensive point of this movie is the fact it released on Memorial Day, a day to honor our civil war dead, and here we have a movie that does nothing but portray our military as murderers and incompetent boobs. The only way I can best describe the wildfire team's composition is a collection of young idealists that should all gather for a photo-op for the Rainbow Coalition poster children edition; not one of them has a gray hair on their head, and yet they are the leaders in their field....puh-lease. I was looking forward to the updating of CGI effects to this wonderful classic, and instead we received video game grade eye candy graphics and a wildfire lab that looks like it was borrowed from CSI Vegas; even the robot had the essential CSI investigator flashlight. They hijacked a thoughtful scientific thriller and painted it over with a transparent, weak and shameful agenda driven vehicle for Hollywood's ideology. This movie is completely intellectually bankrupt.moreless

Skip it.

By gama69g, May 27, 2008

This was ridiculous. I can't believe Ridley Scott put his name on it. Cheesy background music on almost every scene should have been a hint to me to stop watching. It gets better with the pointless current affairs political jabs. Hardly any attempt is made for the viewer to start caring about any one person. It is an amateurish attempt at being serious and professional. Did they really need to have 3D rendered graphics of birds, snakes, and F16? That would have been fine were they not so dated looking. The one scene where the F16 is taking off for example, notice the ripples in the exhaust. For that matter the fake exhaust smoke added to the trucks. Very off putting. It is a shame since the story is so good, and interesting, just the implementation is not up to par.moreless

Unnecessary remake of a sci-fi classic

By rexbo, May 25, 2008

If you've seen the original 1971 movie The Andromeda Strain don't bother watching this. The original movie, even though it is 37 years old, is superior in every way. And at half the length, it captures the audience from beginning to end, whereas this 2008 remake tends to spend a lot of time on story filler that is, frankly, not very interesting. The 2008 remake does take the story into the 21st century, however, by updating the lab and special effects, but in my opinion that's not enough to justify this remake. If you haven't seen the original, this series is worth watching. Judged on its own merits, it is a decent tv movie, on par with for example the interesting but ultimately disappointing mini-series The Triangle. The story is interesting, the acting decent and production values are good. If you're looking to kill a few hours you could do worse.moreless

ok watchable and intriguing but like all recent (last 15 years) movies really needs a lot more effort to make it "plausible". SPOILER don't read!!!

*the follow comments are intended to be read by the producers

By Denun1, May 24, 2008

ok for the wormhole and all other stuff, it's sci-fi so perfect but what i don't understand is:

a) a facility/laboratory like that one, needs at least 500 person to run (who clean the washroom? :D)

b) a facility that cost trillion $ is going to explode and no one cares?

c) never heard of civilian scientist that has the authorization to stop a nuke to detonate... hey man!!! is it possible there is no a one that works there that can stop the nuke? (i don't know a director maybe? a guardian? at least the janitor? ...yeah i forgot no one works there) d) what's the purpose of the journalist in the plot?

e) why all scientist/us president are young beyond any imagination, beautiful and heroic?

e2) why all military are old, fat and insane to wipe out everyone on earth?

f) why everything is solved in the last 5 seconds?

g) can a touchscreen for autodestruction be broken accidentally so easily?moreless

Would have enjoyed it more without the obvious holes in the plot.

INCLUDES SPOILERS

By diamosuk, May 14, 2008

I found this quite absorbing and having read the book and seen the film wondered how they would update for more recent times.

The conspiracy/army/politician sub-plot has been done to death and was unecessary, and as said before the journalist bit didn't add anything, but they didn't ruin the story either.

My main misgivings were with some major plot devices:

1. If you were from the future sending a message back through time, would you hide the message in a piece of futuristic technology that took the protaganists a long time, lots of effort, and luck, to 1st discover and then decipher or would you put a piece of paper in there with "Hey guys were in a bit of trouble...etc" written on it!

2. The plot revolved around people from the future needing us to help them kill the bug...but how exactly were we to get that help to them?

3. The virus mutated into...

okay you get my drift. It's still worth a watch.moreless

If you remember the original 70's movie you might be in for a few surprises. It is a topical update and generally very entertaining. But part one is better than part two which is a bit of a let-down after what came before.

By radioink, May 11, 2008

The cast work really well here and the money is really up there on the screen. For a tv mini-series this aint bad. The effects are excellent and genuinely creepy at the beginning. I must note the chainsaw scene - not one for the kiddies! The story is intriguing if you have not seen the original. It is your average story of satellite crashes to earth, releases some leathal virus which continues to mutate and evade the good folk of some back-water community in the US of A. They do what they always do - send in some unsuspecting military types to check things out. Of course lots of people die so they send in the scientists who have a huge super-secret lab with incredible futuristic computers. From there they watch event unfold and muse on what is possibly happening and how they can possibly stop it.

Part one is a helluva lot of fun with lots of action and great effects and keep-you-guessing moments. Part two is less so, but builds to a satisfying, but predictable climax.

Only 2 gripes:

1. The ludacris reporter b-plot which builds to nothing and simply seems to be superfluous padding - how the heck the virus did not catch him up at the end anyway?

2. The super-duper scientists layer. It seems a bit too advanced and beyond the realism displayed in outside world.

Definately worth a watch.moreless