Fredless

Episode Reviews (12)

Great

Fredless

By TrueTvWatcher, Dec 12, 2010

Fredless was a really great episode focusing on Fred. I thought it was a great concept to have her parents arrive looking for her. I enjoyed watching this episode as we learned more about Fred, and the gang in relation to her. The episode was filled with classic humor, action, mystery and drama. Fred realizes where she belongs and is welcomed to stay at Angel Investigations, and I am happy to know we get to see more of her. The writers are very creative with how they entwine stories together. The directors have a great vision, while the actors play their parts perfectly. I can't wait to watch what happens next!!!!!moreless

Fred's parents arrive in L.A.

By TwistedConverse, Jul 17, 2008

Fredless is a nice, touching episode with some hilarious moments and a heartbreaking performance by the incredible Amy Acker. It finished off the Crazy-Fred subplot and lets her real character come through.

The demon-crystal storyline was a bit dull but it was necessary to the plot so Fred could stay in L.A. I think the bug demons looked actually very good but I don't who was working the camera when they were on screen, as they seemed to stutter and freeze alot, which is quite irritating. Thankfully, it takes a small role in the episode and isn't focused on, leaving more time for the excellent character-based plot going on.

Fred was more likeable in this episode than she's ever been and I'm so glad she stayed in L.A. as she evolves into an amazing character, eventually becoming the heart of the group after Cordelia falls into a coma and then proceeds to become Illyria. Her breakdown was heart-wrenching and in some crazy way, it made sense. It made her experience in Pylea seem more real and you truly felt for her. Amy Acker was simply outstanding in this scene and she can do emotional scenes so well and makes the character of Fred more loveable. It's not easy to cry on cue just like that but she managed it excellently and is up there with the top actresses in the 'verse. I also liked the nice scene at the end where she paints over her picture of Angel saving her, finally putting her Pylea experience behind her and moving on, and realizing she has a place on the time- she's smart but a different kind of smart from Wesley.

Roger and Trish Burkle are good characters and the only parents to be seen more than once in the entire verse (excluding Joyce Summers of course). At the start of the episode, I was creeped out by them, as the storyline made it seem like they were abusive, due to Fred's fear of them. After her breakdown however, I felt they grounded the characters and fitted in perfectly with the group. This episode reminds me a lot of the scenes in "The Girl In Question" where Illyria masquerades as Fred to stop them finding out that Fred is dead.

I like that the gang actually did miss Fred when she left as I was wondering how'd they feel without her but as shown, they did miss her when she'd gone. This episode subtly hints at Wesley's feelings for Fred when he excitedly votes her to stay. The episode also has some nice Cordy/Angel moments as well, showing their growing attraction to one another.

Finally, the Wesley/Cordy scene where they pretend to be Buffy and Angel was one of the funniest moments of the series. It seriously brightened this episode up even more.

Fredless is a heartwarming episode that focuses on the least explored member of the group and finally finished the Crazy-Fred arc.moreless

Dr. Suess' Frighten Fred and Eggs In Your Head

By lenzinoH20, Jul 31, 2007

Fredless-Fred's parents make a surprise visit to Angel Investigations. However, rather than being happy to see them Fred seems terrified and flees the scene. Not trusting Mr. and Mrs. Burkle, the gang prepares to protect Fred from them---providing she can be found. Meanwhile, a strange, insectile demon stalks the crew.

A nice filler with a weak plot but a heartbreaking performance from the Fang Gang's newest member, Fred. Amy Acker really sets her place on this show and show some of her impressive acting skills. You are completely convinced about Fred's fear of seeing her parents and revelation why she's running is so touching. Fred's parents make for an interesting characters, especially when Fred's mom runs over that big bug demon. Speacking of the bug demons, they were disgusting looking, too bad that plot went stale and some scenes dragged. All and All, a decent episode with a stand out performance from Amy Acker who is becoming a fine new cast member.moreless

Fred decides to stay in LA, and I'm actually glad to hear it. Until this episode, I really wished they had left her in Pylea.

By emerald999, Jun 07, 2007

Cordelia finally explains to Fred that Angel can't be anything more than friends with her. I didn't much expect to like this episode, thinking it was going to be cliche as Fred's parents come for her, and we are led to believe they are evil or something is wrong. However, I liked that her parents were so loving and concerned about her. She definitely undergoes a transistion as she comes to terms with what happened in Pylea and works to put it behind her. Going forward she's a much more interesting and stronger character. Until "Fredless" I really wished they had left her in Pylea.

Favorite Scene: This episode has the clas-sic scene where Cordelia and Wesley act out Angel's reunion with the now resurrected Buffy, possibly one of the funniest scenes in the entire 5 seasons of Angel.

Cordelia (as Buffy): "Oh - Angel! I know that I'm a Slayer and you a vampire - and it would be *impossible* for us to *be* together - *but!*

Wesley (as Angel): "But my gypsy curse sometimes prevents me from seeing the truth. Oh, Buffy!"

Cordelia : "Yes, Angel?"

Wesley : "Oh, I love you so much I almost forgot to *brood*"

Cordelia : "And just because I sent you to hell that one time doesn't mean that we can't just be friends."

Wesley grabs a hold of Cordy's wrist.

Cordelia : "Oh!"

Wesley : "Or possibly more."

Cordelia gasps: "Gasp! No! We mustn't."

Wesley pulls Cordy close.

Wesley : "Kiss me."

Cordelia : "Bite me!"

Wesley bends Cordy back over his arm and pretends to sink his fangs into her neck.

Angel (off screen): "How about you both bite me."moreless

By orallukeaplacia, Mar 14, 2007

THE GOOD: The character development in this episode is nice. This is the 2nd time I've seen this episode, and like a lot of people, the 1st time you expect Fred to be avoiding her parents because they're some kind of demon or something. In truth, her parents "existing" means that the hell she went through in Pylea really did happen. When she gains her confidence and realizes that she has a place in Angel invesitgations, the scene of her whitewashing her and Angel on a horse is a beautiful display of conquering one's demons. THE BAD : Angel was at it's best when it was Wesley, Cordelia and Angel. When Fred was breaking down everyone's roles, you got to see that. Cordy's the heart, Wesley's the brain, and Angel is the power. Gunn is just extra muscle, and the show even acknowledges that. He's so desperate to create a real role for hismelf that he gets the legal "upgrade" in season 5. Fred is the science geek. Great, except demonology is hardly science. Only if the show has some lame-o scientific monster (giant bugs?! come on...) brought in is she actually of any use. The only thing Fred was ever good for was becoming Illyria.moreless

Fred stays!

By mattsafreak, Jan 03, 2007

2 good things happen in this episode: Angel comes home from his meeting with Buffy, who is alive again (YAY!) We also get to meet Freds parents and learn why she isnt so happy to see them again. I must admit, I was one of the people who thought there surely must be something wrong with Roger and Trish Burkle. I thought there could have been some abuse involved or some dark family secret. It was so sad and sweet when we find out the real reason Fred didnt want to see them: She didnt want to face the truth that she really had been in Pylea for 5 years. What made the ep even better was when she decided she belonged in L.A. with Angel and the gang! Gotta love Fred!moreless

Fred finds her place.

By SMGslayer97, Oct 23, 2006

I really loved seeing Fred find her place, as she had already become one of my favorite new characters. She was outside the group at the start of the series and her role in Angel Investigations wasn't quite clear. This episode really showed that her science and intellegence really did fit with the group. She really did find her place as the little sister of the group, helping everyone is every way she could and befriending each and everyone in her own specidic way.moreless

fred and her parents

By AngelRocks, Oct 13, 2006

i never liked fred a lot because pylea was terrible but this episode which is about her is pretty good but i think the plot really sucked. first they make us think her parents are evil but they are not.

the thing about the episode is the beginning is classic when wesley and cordelia do the bangle relationship it was funny! i also loved fred's fairy tale story. good episode

Lots of twists and character development.

By NeAvO_1989, Jul 18, 2006

This episode is based about the new series regular Fred played brilliantly by the actress Amy Acker. Fred's character really develops in this episode as it shows her trying to hide from her parents as she isn't ready to cope with life out side of Pylea.

The twist in this episode was thinking that Fred's parents weren't human and they were trying to catch Fred but in fact the reason they were actually Fred's parents and the reason why she was running from them was because she wasn't ready to talk to them about her being stuck in another dimension.

I found this episode had lots of feelings behind it and shows the growth of Fred and how she is finding herself in the world and with Angel and friends.

This episode had a touching end when Fred painted her walls with a shot of her smiling as she painted over the drawing of her and Angel on the horse, when she was rescued from Pylea. This shows her accepting the last few years of her life as a slave and that the is ready to start her life nice and move on.moreless

Load More Reviews