Harm's Way

Episode Reviews (9)

Great

harmony part 2

By AngelRocks, Mar 23, 2011

another rotton episode of season 5 and this time it was about harmony. so stupid comedy and they did this in season 2 and it did not work so why do it again? even the season 2 episode was much better because it had at least a point.

this episode was plotless and pointless and only had that blond idiot screwing everything!

Harm's Way

By TrueTvWatcher, Dec 23, 2010

Harm's Way was a perfect and classic episode of Angel. I really enjoyed this episode which revolved around Harmony and her place as Angel's assistant at Wolfram and Hart. I really liked the way the directors, actors, and editors created the flow of this episode. We learned a lot about Harmony who has grown as a character since we first met her in Buffy. This episode was a fun look at the inside of Wolfram and Hart through Harmony's perspective which gave us a unique picure. This episode showcases the way the soundtrack really adds to the scenes. I really like the ending of this episode and look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!moreless

Harmony! Harmony! Harmony!

Angel: A Harmony story

By Tactical_Cube, Jun 14, 2010

This is one of my favorite comedy episodes of Angel. I've always liked the character of Harmony all the way back to when she was a human in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so when I saw that she would be there for season 5 I was very happy.

In Harm's way is I believe the second Harmony episode in Angel, this one being way better than the previous. It just shows that the character of Harmony had a lot of potential if Angel hadn't been canceled.

The episode shows Harmony being a loner in Wolfram and Heart, but then something happens to her she finds herself in the middle of a murder case in wich the evidence leads to her. But she's being framed by a co-worker, and that sequence is hilarious those two fighting with wooden sticks.

Apart from the Harmony storyline I loved the Demon Clans the way they speak is just funny.

moreless

And by silly, I mean hilarious.

By TwistedConverse, Aug 18, 2008

Harm's Way is a hilarious episode that gives us insight into everyone's favourite dumb blonde vampire- Harmony!

I love this episode. It is genuinely funny and while Harmony isn't the deepest or most interesting character, she's simply hilarious and has some great lines. It also seems she isn't as stupid as she seems- her knowledge about ordering the camel was good and she seems to read people well- she was the only who knew it wasn't Gunn who loved Fred but Wesley. Also she has one of my all time favourite lines ever "Maybe I'll change my name.. Harmonita". Tgat line gets me every time. Mercedes McNab was great in this episode- she's very good at comedy and did some good drama near the end. This episode basically showed how Harmony is adjusting to life at Wolfram and Hart and where she fits in. All throughout this episode she tries over and over to find somewhere to fit in- whether it's with the girls at the lunch room or with Team Angel. Also her repeated attempts to talk to Mrs Jacobi (or whatever her name is) show that she is basically ignored everywhere, a far cry from the popular Sunnydale girl she once was. Harmony reminds me a lot of early Cordelia- once popular now alone. She also seems thoroughly not evil for a vampire and doesn't really seem to miss the evil, which is unusual for a vampire without a soul.

It seems Fred also isn't so clueless about Wesley's affections for her- she let slip she knows he's giving her the eye. If only she had realised earlier that she loves Wesley, then they could of at least had some time together before her death. Silly Fred.

Harm's Way is an excellent, funny and light hearted episode that keeps you laughing all the way through and warms us to Harmony and finally gives her a place within the group and the show. A really fun episode that should not be missed.moreless

Diary of A Mad Blonde Vampire

By lenzinoH20, Dec 28, 2007

Harm's Way-Keeping her job as Angel's assistant is the least of Harmony's worries when she wakes up with a dead vamp-bite victim in her bed and no memory of the previous night's events. And things go from bad to worse when the gang's investigation reveals that the dead guy was a demons' rights activist negotiating between two warring clans.

Jeeze, I'm a sucker for Harmony episodes! There is just something so lovable about that blonde killer. She's a minor character with a big personality who the writers were great enough to carry throughout the both series and I'm glad they did. She may not be the smartest being in the world, but Harmony has feelings like any other self respecting soulless creature of the night! I couldn't help but feel her unappreciatedness and sadness as she gets no credit for anything she does for Angel and the gang. I just couldn't help but find it hilarious at some many scenes like Harmony and Fred having a girls' night with Harmony of course being not too sensitive:

Harmony: "Man, I wish I was you...you know but without the all the science and lacking in the chest area."

In fact there were so many hilarious quotes and scenes:

Harmony: "Alright that's it, I'm gonna have to move away. Mexico...I'll go to Mexico..that's good. But it's good in Cancun too, maybe I'll could go there."

Harmony covering up the dead body, forgetting Toby's name, knocking everyone out who didn't believe her, etc. I loved the fight at the end with Harmony and the vampire chick who framed her. Harmony has come a long way since her slapping tussel with Xander...she was doin' some really Buffy worthy moves! Also, I loved the demon clans who Angel was meeting with. The language and the way they made those yelling noises were priceless! Not to mention, Spike comforting Harmony at the end was great, lol. All and All, "Harm's Way" is good old hilarious fun and should me watched!moreless

Well if Angel can kill with a spoon, then Harm can certainly use chopsticks!

By mattsafreak, Jan 28, 2007

I absolutely adored this episode. I can't say I was a fan of human Harmony back on BtVS but I became a fan after she was turned to a vamp. I even liked Disharmony from Season 2.

Anyway...We get a glimpse in to how life is for Harmony at Wolfram and Hart. Basically, it sucks. No one listens to her opinions or advice, and she is pretty dead-on with alot of things she says during this ep. Big change for one of Sunnydale Highs most popular alums. I felt so sorry for her when she was trying to do what she thought was best by ordering a camel for Angels conference and he blew up at her, and how many demons like chips and dip anyway? I loved that she bonded with Fred and how Lorne at least seems to like her. Too bad she ends up tying them up and throwing them in a closet. It's all for the greater good, in Harms mind anyway, as she tries to prove herself innocent of drinking a human. Harm actually saves the day by the end of this episode, although no one would ever give her props for it. I think she would have been a great character to flesh out if we had gotten a season 6.moreless

It really makes you wonder how an episode that sounds so average can be so good

By fgyjmyrjmetdgjh, Jun 30, 2006

Harmony has never had an episode that focuses fully around her, and it isn't hard to see why. Episodes such as this have never worked before. They ended up either being average or very very crap. But this episode was a lot of fun to watch not only because Harmony is a decent character (even though it doesn't seem like it to begin with). The dumb blonde is milked in others. It hilarious to see how Harmony reacts to awkward situations, and it proves that angel isn't all about the scares, it can have hilarious episodes and for that i love this episode!moreless

The "Angel" version of ST:TNG's "Below Decks" episode -- and quite a bit of fun. :)

By tjaman, Jan 05, 2006

S5x09 - HARM'S WAY

I liked this one. It was silly.

Just like in "Life of the Party," Joss opens his story with one image -- the 1950s-style orientation video -- and morphs into another image -- how does a single girl vampire-on-the-go start her day? -- and then ... roll credits.

Following Lorne around on his frenetic morning was at least as interesting as following Harmony through her paces -- alarm goes off at 7 a.m., tuned to a pop music station. She checks her lack of reflection under a chirpy, self-motivating "Be Your Best!" heading, brushes both her corpse teeth and those of her demon manifestation -- harking back to her comment from "Conviction," i.e. "Who needs dental more than us?" -- selects an outfit -- so very Harmony -- and ... now, where did that other shoe go? Ah yes -- practical, real-world applications for her demon strength.

And then she dives into the sewers, because she's a vampire.

I really wish they'd shown her getting to work. Harmony trotting with confidence through the sewers in open-toed heels from her apartment to work would be interesting, at the very minimum.

Not to mention that dry-cleaning she picked up. Because a vampire coming up through the sewers into the dry cleaners would be bizarre at best. And then trucking it back into the sewers and getting it to work unmarred would be a job of work.

Backtrack a second, tho. Harmony had minions in Sunnydale. She had no minions in "Disharmony," but she was clearly something of a joiner. So to find her living all alone -- looking like that -- without an undead paramour ... I mean, she was so popular in high school. And just like Spike, I mean ... William was such a nebbish, weak, non-obtrusive spirit. This soulfulness, the inner torment of the poet, the weak mama's-boy non-extension of his personality -- seemed to shackle his demon once he was sired.

Such seems to be the case with Harmony. She was such a sheep, a nontrospective surface-dweller that when she was sired, her very dimness seemed to be a serious hamper on her animating demon. The demon was probably evil incarnate, but her very lack of depth seemed to make her ... unavailable to it. It was like having all the controls but they didn't seem to be hooked up to anything. She was still this sweet, vapid, sycophant seeking desperately for approval.

She kept telling us she was evil, but came down to it, she was only semi-evil. She was the margarine of evil. The best she could manage was treachery, and Angel saw that coming from miles away (though I suppose we can be happy for her that she got a little without going all bloody-eyed).

So Harmony is a vampire. She has a backstory with Spike, her Blondie-Bear, who does somehow still matters to her although he's cultivated this sick lust for a Slayer well beyond the sex games of their S4 relationship.

By the end of the episode, she's allowed maybe more of the subtext in their relationship to become text than maybe she meant to. Like Fred at the end of "Smile Time," she was giving a signal. That however badly Spike had treated her in the past, she still basically loved him.

Is that interesting to anyone else? The poetic, weak-kneed boy who was sired by a crazy girl and loved her at first sight but still couldn't run off with her without first siring his mother -- so as to end her suffering -- falls in, after whatever personality twists he gained from hanging with Angelus for any length of time -- falls in with a vampire who is so much the vapid high school bimbette she has to wear a T-shirt to remind anyone that she's actually a blood-sucking creature of the night?

What is the depth of shallowness, Joss? Is it an evil unto itself? Is the quality of being self-involved at a Harmony level akin to the quality of self-consciousness we find in William the Bloody Awful Poet? Is it such that active evil can't gain any sort of foothold?

Never mind that. I'm still trying to get my head around any of the vamps Buffy battled straight out of the ground -- the ones who seemed to invariably pick up all those martial arts skills -- settling for scuttling around butcher shops after hours for pig's blood day after day and being proud of typing 80 words a minute and having very pleasant phone voices.

Again, Joss is slyly hinting that the events of S4 never took place -- or at least that Cyvus Vale's mind control extended well beyond CYNTHIA! Sambuca ...

Tamika: TAMIKA!

Whatever. Just like in "Life of the Party," where W&H's Halloween party wasn't anything like as good as last year's -- suggested that she'd been working at W&H for five years. Lilah said the Beast got everyone -- even those who called in sick or were having a day off. I.E.:

The Beast: DING-dong

W&H Employee: Yes?

The Beast: * kills them *

So maybe she only thinks she's been there for five years. Or maybe she only thinks that she has a very pleasant phone voice. I mean, who knows? If she has been there for five years, she must've played havoc with those vampire detectors everytime she reported for work, but then at one point, Lindsey made a distinction between reports of hostile vampires on the property, so they must be pretty well calibrated.

But can anyone imagine Holland putting up with that?

Holland: Tamika, where is that memo?

Tamika: Type it your damn' self. * bites him *

The zero-tolerance policy was well illustrated. But Harmony is so frantic for approval she forgot that before Eli got beheaded, there was at least some cursory investigation. But with the pressures of the conference, Harmony (the "right-biter" -- G-d, that is such a fun aspect of vampire life to discover fully 12 seasons into the 'verse, isn't it? Some vamps must prefer the deoxygenated blood coursing down the jugular while others must get their jones on for that fresh gurgly carotid krovvy) testing positive for human and the at least circumstantial ties between her and the demon activist (um, Harm, no wonder he told you he was an astronaut. How can he explain his real job to most anyone he meets in a bar?) she was right to assume she'd fit in Monk's dustpan once he found out -- especially when the demon's were demanding an eye for an eye.

But it was so unfair. She'd done her homework! She was so ready with what they ate! I've gotta believe whoever she called was used to catering W&H affairs, tho.

Caterer #1: Now they need a camel.

Caterer #2: Again?

Caterer #1: Must be a board meeting.

Her grand swath of destruction -- the blood guy we've never seen before, Lorne (who looked positively malevolent under his duct tape) and Fred tied up in the broom closet -- was interesting, especially since she managed to abduct Fred from a reasonably busy lab situation. Before that, when she was demonstrating how she was a right-biter, it was so "Waiting for Guffman" cute.

And her bonding scene with Fred in the bar was so wonderfully Harmony (and set us up for the two rolls of electrical tape of Illyria's costume with Fred "not having a lot up front").

Joss must've been itching to set up a conversation between Harmony and Fred.

"What great ones do, the less will prattle of." -- Shakespeare

Ah, the ST:TNG "Below Decks" aspect of this show was one of my favorites. To have the staff hanging out in the conference room talking about our heroes the way we do in our chatty rooms was delicious. Especially:

Harmony: I think Wesley is totally crushing on Fred.

W&H Employee: Mr. Wyndham-Pryce? Everyone knows he's ... muffins!

Yes. I was actually around for the original discussion of this ep on the 'Tome and everyone had grand fun commenting that PyleansDontLeaveMe was also totally muffins. Which he, of course, is.

The knock-down, drag out between Harmony and Tamika was cool -- nearly as cool as Gunn calling Angel a "man whore" in demonese. Why was W&H so interested in this again? Oh yeah -- reputation. You know what is reputation, yes? People talking. With Eli, however, Angel's reputation is not people talking. Angel's repuation is fact. To the point that people are ending up in broom closets with their autoclaves running. Did she ever get to turn it off? Not that it was on, so much, as it was near her -- what was she going for? A stake? A cross? A beaker of holy water? I don't remember Harmony ever smoking -- even in Sunnydale. It'd be an interesting look for her.

But I digress. Harmony was so bent on making this conference happen without a hitch that she bursts through the wall of the conference room -- again, is this entire law firm constructed just about as sturdily as a set in community theater? -- and stakes the real killer with chopsticks -- and after such a cool exchange of barbs and blows. The dust effect on Tamika was half-hearted at best, but it was fun to see. And Harmony did, ultimately -- and hardly meaning to -- saved the day.

Backtrack to her conversation with Angel at the very beginning. Generally, the camera is following Angel around so we've generally got all the context for what he's saying. Harm's exchange with him right at the beginning gave us a little insight into what life must generally be like for her -- people come up and they're speaking a completely different language. They mostly don't know who she is, and of course that's sad -- I for one, having watched this episode, am quite interested in what she's been up to since Cordy let her go at the end of "Disharmony." And yet there are seething jealousies among the staff. Harmony can't fit in -- she's almost certainly being paid more than all the other staffers so her saying she wants a raise doesn't impress anyone, and they all want her job or resent her presumptuousness. And they make fun of her look. That's so unfair. I think she does a fabulous job for a person with no reflection.

She's a complicated girl -- despite Spike telling her "Keep it simple -- it suits you." She doesn't have a soul, although that would've been so easy for Angel to arrange. She tries not to bite people although she got really wistful when that giraffe-necked lady walked by after she'd had some human blood. She mostly comes in, does her job -- sometimes with a little too much verve -- and otherwise deals with her very ordinary existence as a not terribly enthusiastically evil creature of the night.

One surrounded by unicorns.

I don't know that this episode merited her inclusion in the opening credits, but it was a big step toward getting her there. We saw glimpses of the treachery we would see in "Not Fade Away," tho again, for an evil being, she's not especially convincing. But for a Harmony-centered episode, Mercedes McNab carried it off brilliantly.

It's just, at the end of the day ... it was just the end of the day. The lives of the underlings have little impact, in the long haul, on the lives of the superiors. Things are unfair, demands are made, and for the most part, everyone goes home to brood.

That being said, however ...

Someone get Harmony a little umbrella for her drink.

She's so totally earned it.moreless