Parting Gifts

Great

Here's Wes

By joxerlives, Jan 09, 2012

The Good;

Wonderful reintroduction for Wes and a nice period of mourning for Doyle. Plus Cordy's audition and the Oracles again.

The Bad;

Once again, Alexis Denisoff's name is in the titles, ruining the suprise a little

Best line:

"Grass stains!" (all in the delivery). Also liked Wes "I bet you always wondered what became of your old pal Wesley?"

Angel; "Tell you the truth I never gave it much thought"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

Barney's plans for Cordy are beyond horrible. But she teaches him not to mess with Queen C

Apocalypses: 4

Angel Cliches

Damsel in distress; nope, 2.

Inverting the Hollywood cliche;

Fang Gang in bondage:

Cordy: 5

Angel: 4

Wes: 1

Fang gang knocked out: yep, Cordy

Cordy: 9

Angel: 7

Wes: 1

Doyle; 1

Kills:

Cordy: none this ep. 3 vamps, a demon from her time in Sunnydale

Angel: 1 demon for Angel. So that gives Angel 8 vamps, 4 demons, 2 humans.

Doyle; 1 vamp

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:

Cordy: 1?

Angel: 1;Buffy

Kinky dinky:

Wes in motorbiking leathers which are so tight they 'chafe'. He and Cordy share a second kiss, Cordy is sold as a slave for the first time.

Captain Subtext;

Know the face, different character; 2

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Buffy characters appearing in Angel; (unless someone can correct me no original Angel character ever appears on Buffy?)

6; Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes

Questions and observations;

Another WR&H lackie but this one doesn't become a recurring character. Angel says that vamps don't sleep in coffins but Dracula does. Angel recognises talent when he sees it, Wes' translation skills alone make him invaluable.

Marks out of 10; 7/10

moreless

"When one door closes, another opens..."

By Otakurelix, Sep 09, 2011

Wow, great episode. With Doyle dead I thought the show was just going to be bad for the rest of the season but no, they got me right back into the show by bringing Mr. Wesely Windum-Price back.

There wasn't much I didn't like about this episode. I didn't like seeing Glenn Quin in the credits, it just gave me small false hope that he would come back but he didn't and never would. The other thing I didn't like was that Cordy was getting beat up, this is when she wasn't train to fight at all so she really couldn't help herself.

Now to the stuff that made this episode good. The introduction of Wesely. Wes joins the cast in this episode and he stays on right till the last episode. Also the villian actually surprised me. That never happens. I usually know exactly what was going to happen with the villian but it surprised me. Instead of it being the big guy that attack them. It turned out to be a seemingly helpless demon who comes to Angel for help.

This is a very pivotal episode because it adds a new character to the mix who brings a certain needed thing to the show. Great episode, 9.0.

moreless

"Rogue?" Nope. "Demon?" No Way! "Hunter?" Ehh...

By maxpower03, Sep 09, 2011

Doyle's death is still weighing in drastically on the Angel regulars. The character most affected is Cordelia. It's unsurprising, since both she and Doyle admitted their love for each other around five seconds before he bought the farm. Shame.

In Parting Gifts, Cordelia discovers that Doyle's kiss at the end of last episode ensured his visions would be passed over to her, meaning she is now Angel's direct link to the Powers That Be. She discovers this at the same time that a mysterious rogue demon hunter stalks through LA, hunting down a shady empath demon who seeks shelter with Angel Investigations.

Cordelia's inclusion in the series prior to this episode didn't really have a point. Yeah she was hilarious but was that all that was to it? Cordelia as comic relief? Thankfully, due to Doyle's death, Cordelia now serves a purpose on Angel, being her vampire boss's link to the Powers That Be. Charisma Carpenter is the heart and soul of this episode. From her comedic commercial audition at the start to her running gag of kissing every man (or demon) she sees in a desperate attempt to pass over her new gift, Charisma gets the audience's attention throughout, even when she isn't saying anything, and that's one huge feat for somebody who was previously just seen as the comic relief on this show.

Parting Gifts introduces former Watcher Wesley Wyndam-Pryce to Angel and, no offense to Doyle and the excellent Glenn Quinn, but his inclusion in the show seems much more natural than Angel's Brachen demon buddy. It seems bad to say so but it's undoubtedly true. Wesley's lame efforts to prove himself tough and, in his words, "rogue" make for some moments of hilarity and his painful excuses to stay in the final scene prove him to be a sweet, kind soul. As well as a competent (if slightly slow) warrior against evil.

A story all about sadness, friendship and trying to prove your worth, Parting Gifts is a well executed introduction to the next chapter of Angel. Alexis Denisof's addition to the cast is inspired and he gels with both David Boreanaz and Charisma Carpenter almost immediately. A solid episode.

Director: James A Contner

Writer: David Fury, Jeannine Renshaw

Rating: Bmoreless

wesley is in town

By AngelRocks, Sep 09, 2011

killing doyle was not a good move and so was this episode. the whole demon selling thing was so stupid! i hated wesley too he is a nerd. what is good about this episode is cordelia who continues to grow with her visions now that doyle gave her before he died.

the episode was not only bad cordelia kissed angel and it had some funny moments with cordelia but everything else was boring and annoying.

A kiss is never just a kiss, just ask Cordy.

By mattsafreak, Sep 09, 2011

So we find out in this episode that Doyle has passed his visions on to Cordelia. Well, this may be the first gift that Cordy has ever wanted to downright refuse. She finds out firsthand how painful the visions are and just how rough it was on Doyle. Oh, and dont let me forget the other important part of this episode: The arrival of Wes! Seems he has been sacked by the Watchers Council so he is now a self proclaimed "Rogue Demon Hunter." He is still as geeky and awkward as ever, but he looks pretty good in leather riding a bike. :) This wasnt the best ep, but it was important in getting Wes introduced (to the show) and also in establishing Cordys new role as "Vision Girl"moreless

It slices, it falls on its ass, it tracks the wrong demon across the Southwest! It’s the Amazing Mr. Watcher, former.

By Taillte, Sep 09, 2011

Fun words to learn and know: Wesley: “I'm going to thrash you within an inch of your life. And then, I'm going to take that inch.” Dialogue to lose inside the sofa in Hell: Cordelia: “I only had a vision once, and I'm pretty sure it was just something I ate!”

Life’s just full of surprises. I never liked Wesley on BtVS, yet when he popped up on Angel I actually gave a little girlish squeal of delight. I know (because I’m psychic and certainly not because I’ve seen the rest of the series -- what a preposterous idea!) there are good things in store. I’m quite pleased with this little development. I don’t mean to have it appear that I disliked Doyle in any way, nothing could be further from the truth (well, alright, that might be stretching it a little), but we hadn’t really had time to get to know and love him. This was a good, fun episode. Barney was pretty likable -- for a horrible evil monster, that is. Seriously, he had some good lines and interacted well with the others until it came time to show his true colors. Angel and Cordelia haven’t completely forgotten about Doyle (yet) and got to grieve a little. And old school Wes is always good for a laugh, though it’s even nicer to see him progress past the point of bumbling failed watcher -- but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. This episode, unlike the last one, felt complete.moreless

The terrible Wesley comes to town. No one will ever be able to replace Doyle.

By BoNeSxdbx3, Sep 09, 2011

Cordelai and Angel are forced with the pain of losing Doyle to the Scourge's device. While doing quite badly in an audition for a commercial, Cordy gets her first vision. She soon finds that handling the migrane-visions is harder than Doyle made it seem. Soon, a demon named Barney comes and requests Angels help. Seeming to be innocent and helpless, Angel and Cordelia offer to help him. At having the opportunity, Barney kidnaps Cordelia, and auctions her off for her connection with the PTBs. With the help of Wesley, an old dorky, friend, Angel rescues Corelia from a terrible fate.

Parting gifts is a great episode, but would be much better if somehow Doyle was still alivein it. Wesley will never replace Doyle.moreless

Vision Girl

By SMGslayer97, Sep 09, 2011

While Angel and Coredelia deal with death of Doyle Cordy realizes she has inherited Doyle's head crunching visions, unfortunately she realizes this at a very inappropriate time and she really has trouble interpreting what she see's. Meanwhile, Angel lines up a new client. A very possibly evil client who brings another old Sunnydale friend to town. While Angel and Wesley, that's right I said Wesley, sort of the details of Angel's new case and realize how it relates to Cordy's vision she herself sorts out the details of her vision. Unfortunately, it's to late. She is placed at auction for the pretty little visions that get beamed into her head. Luckily, Angel and Wesley manage to come to the resuce just in time.moreless

Wesley brings in the fun stuff!

By admax99, Sep 09, 2011

After Doyle died in the episode before both Cordelia and Angel are really sad, but life must go on. And they get another case.

During an audition Cordelia finds out that doyle has passed his visions to her and hated it! It's so funny to watch how she kisses Angel try to get rid of this ability.

And then Wesley! this character is so much fun for the show at this part of the season. A Rouge Deamon Hunter?? Funny! And his leather look!

The conversation with Angel at that hotel. You can see that even David Boreanaz has to laugh in that scene. I like that they haven't done the scene again.

I love the change in Wesley's character during the whole show. At this time he is so funny to watch! He isn't Doyle, but gets his place in the team!moreless

Load More Reviews