Reunion

Episode Reviews (17)

Superb

Darla and Dru on the town

By joxerlives, Jan 19, 2012

REUNION

The Good;

Darla and Dru make quite a pair whilst Angel does his Batman routine. Some nice humour from Lilah and like the way Angel is so consumed by his quest that he tries to ignore his mission sent by the PTBs. And the shock ending is a kick in head.

The Bad;

Why does Lilah want to hear police sirens, what are the LAPD going to do against Dru and Darla? Shouldn't Angel have saved Holland's wife at least?

Best line:

Lilah (to Lindsey, indicating dead Darla) "Think you got a shot with her now?" Why we love Lilah even though she's a total bitch.

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

The scene in the shop with the murdered staff is horrifying

Apocalypses: 4

Angel Cliches

Damsel in distress; 17

Inverting the Hollywood cliche;

Lindsey (indicating the soon to be vamp Darla) "Can she hear us?"

Darla "She's DEAD!"

Angel; 18 vamps, 19 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 1/2 a demon

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 5 vamps+ 1 demon.

Recurring characters killed;

4;

Total number of Angel Investigations:

4, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn

Angel Investigations shot: no but Angel takes a gun away from a demon acolyte intent on suicide.

Angel: 10

Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast

Angel: 1;Buffy

Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:

Gunn comments that he's freaked out by the whole incest vibe of the grandaughter remaking the grandmother (as he was with his vamped sister). Dru wants Angel to 'Spank us til Tuesday, we promise to be bad if you do'!!!!!!

Captain Subtext;

Loved to have seen the Dru/neighbour scene. Once again Dru seems a very unusual vamp in some regards, more human than most. Dru appreciates Lilah's beauty. All of the Darla/Dru stuff

Know the face, different character; 2

Parking garages;

Buffy characters on Angel; 13

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master

Questions and observations;

Like the way it's Gunn who figures out the whole nursery angle, once again showing his brains. Weird seeing Darla in her shroud. Kate and Angel seem a team once more.

Marks out of 10; 8/10, Angel on top form.

moreless

Darla is back.

And unfortunately, so is Dru.

By bilanovic, Oct 04, 2011

A great episode.

But boy, I can't stand Drusilla, actress which plays her sucks so much that is beyond suck.And that fake "English" accent... just horrible.I hope for her soon and "untimely" demise.

Back to the episode.I find it great that Angel starts finally to act like the Angel and not some comical version of it, like he did in past episodes (hm, actually whole past season).

This episode had much more serious tone than any other before and that's what is so good about it.

Especially the ending, which made me give this episode whole 1

point more, is beyond great, and it prepares us for many great episodes to come.moreless

Darla rises from the dead and together her and Dru set out to wreak havoc in the City of Angels.

By TwistedConverse, Jul 08, 2008

Reunion is my absolute favourite episode of Angel. The first time I watched this episode, I was literally in awe. It made me feel so many things and they packed so much into 42 minutes. This episode will blow your mind. Darla is without a doubt my favourite character in any TV show ever. There are so many layers to her- this is what I love about this show. It's about demons and vampires and yet the characters are more realistic than most on TV. There are no stereotypical characters- each character is built as a basic type- funny, serious, evil, street and then so much is built around them that they're unique. Reunion is an episode of pure excellence- I've watched it over and over and it never gets boring. There are so many pivotal and memorable scenes from this episode- Darla waking up as a vampire, attacking Drusilla in the streets, the entire scene with the lawyers in the wine cellar. The stakes were so high- everything was so tense and each scene left you wanting more, so much so, that I was dreading the end because it'd be over. In my first watch, I tried to prolong Angel by watching a certain number a week. This was the first time I lost control- after this ended I simply HAD to see Redefinition. Reunion is a beautiful episode- the episode that solidified my love for this show.

Darla is a character that changes so much- from seductress to mentally unstable to dying to being one of the most evil character's in this show- and all of this happened realistically. She is probably one of the most unique characters of the Buffyverse- no other character was even close to like her and she's pure TV gold and a joy to watch. A classic example is that when she woke up as a vampire, she didn't automatically run and feed like most vampires- she attacked her sire. Her human self had not fully left the building- she had chosen to die naturally and Drusilla had stolen that from her. The scene in the streets where she beats Drusilla up and asks "Why?" did she do this to her is such a memorable scene- it shows that she is not the same vampire she once was. When she finally does feed, she is back to classic Darla and here they could had her go after Angel to kill him- but what did she do? She slaughtered the W&H lawyers in the wine cellar for punishment of how they treated her when she was human. Darla is a character that I am very drawn to- Julie Benz just plays her to perfection, never hitting a flat note, always stealing the show.

Drusilla was a much welcomed addition to this episode- she brings a new presence to the show. We know from BtVS exactly what Drusilla is like- evil and insane yet possessing a childlike quality. She is unique also and her and Darla were the best team Angel has ever seen. This episode was excellent without her but she added so much to it- terror and yet humour at the same time- she is very funny. Juliet Landau is always brilliant as her and her and Julie play off each other well- they have great chemistry.

The main cast were not to be outdone however. David Boreanaz puts in an amazing performance. This is the episode where Angel went into his darkest place (outside Angelus) and David played him very realistically- we can see his decent into darkness very clearly and it's hard to watch him so much in the course of this episode. Charisma, Alexis and J. were great as well- they weren't a huge focus in the episode but they were needed definitely. I felt Charisma shone in the last scene particularly- her performance was heartfelt and real and we could see Cordelia desperate to stop her closest friend fall into this darkness.

The W&H team (Lilah, Lindsey and Holland) were also excellent in this episode- I thought Christian Kane put in a better performance than usual. Lilah was fantastic to have back- her and Lindsey's relationship is interesing and it was great to see her return after 6 episodes. Holland was also very good here- suitably evil and it was with an amount of satisfaction that I watched Darla kill him with- he had played his part I think and it was time for him to go.

Reunion is pure gold. It changed the series and was a defining moment of the Darla arc. I wish there was a score higher than 10- Reunion would have deserved it.moreless

"Run and catch..."

By Steph__x, Apr 25, 2008

After being changed back to her former self, Darla and Drusilla decide to have a night out on the town... and blood is on the menu. Angel becomes obsessed with catching the two, disregarding others that need his help. Cordelia, Wesley and Gunn become increasingly worried about him, fearing he is becoming very close to the darkness.

This was such an amazing episode. After the episode "Darla", I was beginning to like good Darla and I was really hoping Angel would save her. I still like good Darla, but I much prefer evil Darla. I'm also extremely happy that Drusilla is back. Her and Spike were my favourite "Big Bad" in season 2 of Buffy, so I'm enjoying her being back in Angel...still as crazy as ever!

I'm really not liking Angel at the moment. He had some funny moments, but he was mostly just dark. And Not in the broody yet lovable normal Angel way, or the fun and crazy Angelus way, he was just plain dark. The events leading to the end of the episode really brought out the darkness in him. As for the ending...complete and utter darkness! It left me a little shocked.moreless

Angel rushes to stop Darla from becoming a vampire while everybody at Wolfram and Hart tries to help.

By addict666, Feb 09, 2008

I love this episode. Drusilla is at her crazy best preparing for her 'daughter's' birth and Angel is losing himself. At first Darla's reaction to becoming a vampire again is sour, but she soon returns to her former glory. Watching her and Dru kill people together is great and its hard to hate them. It seems that Angel should of been paying more attention to Cordy, Wes and Gunn who are trying to stop him from doing anything rash. All the interactions between Lindsey and Darla are really good too and when he is at the party and Darla asks him if he cares and he responds that he cares, but he just doesn't mind, it is classic. Then at the end Angel leaves the people from Wolfram and Hart to be massacred, he begins his spiral downwards that occurs in the next part of the season. When Wes and Cordy try to tell him that he can't just choose not to save people just because he doesn't like them, he doesn't want to hear it. Then at the end he fires them and it leaves you wondering what is going to happen next.moreless

Excuse Me While My Jaw Drops!

By lenzinoH20, Aug 04, 2007

Reunion-Drusilla has turned Darla back into a vampire, and Angel must catch them before she rises again and the two go back to their old ways. As he becomes more and more frantic, Angel begins to go off the deep end, and his staff worries that they are the only thing standing between Angel and real darkness.

One of the darkest and best episodes of Angel's short lived 5 year run! Nothing can express how truly awesome this hour of television was. First off, Darla and Drusilla make an awesome gruesome twosome as they reck havok in the streets of L.A. Juilett Landau continues to prefect the art of insanity as the psychopathtic Drusilla and as much as it was sad to see Darla die, Darla as a vampire is just too much fun and Julie excels back into her villian roots. The whole cast is solid throughout this hour, with Wesley, Cordelia and Gunn trying to stop Angel from being so consumed with stopping Darla and Drusilla. Also, Sam Anderson continues to impress as Holland Manners and I should give him more credit. Kate returns and does the most logical thing since her existence and help Angel for once. The episode is also filled with stunning fight scenes like the 3-way fight between Drusilla, Darla and Angel on the garden roof and brutally distrubing scene like Darla and Drusilla killing the women of the clothing store. But best part is the unforgettable and astonishing ending where Angel just turns his back and leaves all the Wolfarm and Hart lawyers to be killed by Dru and Darla! It's one of the most shocking moments I've ever witnessed on TV show (expect for The Body on Buffy, but anyway) and you can't believe Angel would have so much hate in him to do such an act. Then to top it all off, he fires Wesley, Cordy and Gunn! All and All, a classic and powerful episode from start to finish with great acting, great setting, and the most shocking moments ever!moreless

Girls just want to have fun!

By mattmegmom, May 28, 2007

Darla and Dru are ready to rumble. Dru is one lunatic vampire and lots of fun to watch. Heck their all fun to watch when their bad, but Dru takes the prize for crazy.

Angel & Team are on the hunt to stop them before the girls ramp up the rampage. The friction that has been building as Angel sets his own priorities goes into high gear as Angel proceeds with single minded pursuit against Darla and Dru.

Holland Manners from W&H confirms to Angel that he is the special project that is behind all the steps they've taken to bring Darla and Dru back...seems mostly it has to do with keeping him occupied and I would imagine tortured, disillusioned and in conflict with the rest of Angel Investigations.

Kate's back briefly, releasing Angel from custody to stop Darla & Dru's massacre. Still not sure why they keep bringing her back. I like her, but they need to do something more significant with her as a story line.

Darla & Dru crash a W&H party for a private massacre. Angel shows up, but upon realizing D&Ds intent, just can't bring himself to intervene on W&H behalf. He locks them all in from the outside. Angel tells Wes, Gunn & Cordy what he did and they are shocked and tell him he was wrong. They tell him he must change. He agrees and fires them all.moreless

The girls are back in town and they're having a massacre.

By funkyfresh5, Jan 24, 2007

Another one of Angel’s great season 2 episodes that’s fully involved with the seasonal arc.

With Angel failing to save Darla, and the gang failing to save Angel, this is a fast paced episode-bursting full of action and consequences.

The first consequence is obviously Drusilla’s siring of Darla. Through most of the first half of the episode, Darla lies dead as Dru along with her allies at W&H make preparations for Darla’s re-arrival. It seems a little strange that at this crucial time in their plan that Holland manners sees it fit to throw a party. While they may be celebrating Angel tipping over to evil, it won’t be until the end of the episode that he actually does.

While this is all going on Angel rushes to try and save Darla, knowing that he has failed to save her. This is a major factor in Angel’s crazy quest to stake his love. The links the team made as to where Darla might be were a little tenuous. I highly doubt that they were able to pinpoint these vampires in this huge city, but at least it made for a brilliant confrontational scene between the vampires especially once Darla awoke.

Darla’s awakening was wonderfully played by Julie Benz. She takes the character to whole new levels as she tries to deal with being a vampire again. Lashing out at Drusilla, eventually Darla comes around and they go on their highly entertaining killing spree. The two actresses work well together. In all their collective time in the Buffy verse they have spent very little onscreen time together and this may the first without their male counterparts.

Returning back to the team who are racing around LA trying to find the vamps, we see Angel hell-bent on his mission and forgetting the mission that he should be ultimately concerned about, so much so that he is inclined to forget about Cordy’s vision and when he is convinced to go to the vision, he barely takes time to sort the problem out. To see Angel like this is not really a surprise but it is interesting to see how far he is going. Also what is surprising is that the team seem so reluctant to find Dru and Darla. Now while I understand they have to answer the visions, they don’t seem to want aid Angel. Although perhaps given the end of the episode maybe they had good reason. The best part of the episode is undoubtedly Darla and Drusilla’s arrival at Holland’s party. The lawyers play the fear excellently and Darla and Drusilla’s tormenting of them is so brilliant to watch. Lindsey’s lack of fear is really fascinating to see. His love of Darla is misguided, but it allows him to feel absolutely no fear of this woman, despite her showing very little feeling for him or indication that she wouldn’t hurt him. Its this quality in Lindsey that makes him such a wonderful character to watch. The climax of the episode (or so we think) comes when Angel tips over the edge and locks the W&H lawyers in the wine cellar. His actions here while not in line with his mission are understandable. These lawyers have tormented him since he came to LA and ruined his ex-lovers only chance of salvation. This is an extrmeley thrilling scene but in true Angel style its not quite the end of the episode. The Angel Investigations team let Angel know what they think of his actions and in a shocking end he fires them. His reasoning behind this slowly leaks out over the next few episodes but in this episode it makes for some great drama.

Overall a strong episode that proves pivotal to the rest of the season.moreless

Dru and Darla

By SMGslayer97, Jan 21, 2007

The most twisted vampires on the planet, next to Spike and Angelus, are back to there old tricks and this time they're teaming up. At the hand of Wolfram & Hart Drusilla sires Darla and the rack up a whole mess of trouble a whole mess of bodies. Unfortinately, this loss hits Angel hard and he sort of treads dangerously close to the dark side himself leaving Holland Manners and many of the other Wolfram & Hart lawyers to be slaughtered at the hands of the girls. Not only that but he fires Gunn, Wes, and Cordy really leading all of us to belief he is completely of his rocker.moreless

Load More Reviews