Episode Reviews (9)

Going underground

By joxerlives, Jan 22, 2012

SACRIFICE

The Good;

The Critter in the sewers rather like Golum crossed with a giant tarantula and is truly scary. Gotta say I'm getting a little tired of the Jasmine storyline and I'll be glad when it's over

The Bad;

Jasmine's real face looks obviously rubber although the genuine maggots distract you from that. Again seems a huge coincidence that Angel and co fall into the sewers and discover just what they need. Once again the PTBs at work? I actually think that once they go down the sewers the whole ep withers. But the ending picks it up again mightily. Despite Gunn's comment we see exactly 2 police cars and a spotlight with some helicopter sound effects.

Best line;

Gunn; "I ain't never seen so many (police) cruisers"

Wes; "Well technically we're the only criminals left"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

The vamp in the web, especially when it gets it tongue ripped out!

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

Inverting the Hollywood cliche; when Connor and his troops arrive Gunn remarks 'Time for the big fight scene!' echoing what the audience is thinking. Lorne's 'don't judge by appearances' scene cruelly shot down by the refugees.

In disguise; 8

Wes: 6

Gunn; 4

Lorne; 4

Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Wes by the sewer creature

Cordy: 15

Angel; 44 vamps, 59 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 8 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 14 demons+5 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 humans

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 18 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 13 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.

Groo; 1 demon

Recurring characters killed;

9;

Total number of Angel Investigations;5

Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne, Wes,

Angel Investigations shot: threatened with guns by Jasmine's soldiers but no

Angel: 12

Angel; 3

Gunn; 2

Fred; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:

Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor plus possibly the Beast

Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies

Wes; 3 definite; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah, 1 possible, Justine

Gunn; 2 Fred and Gwen.

Fred; 1 Gunn

Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:

Whereas the previous people Jasmine consumed were ordinary looking (and the director even commented on it) now it seems to be only pretty young things in their skimpy undies that Jasmine devours.

Know the face, different character; 4

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

The Catholic Church is now dedicated to Jasmine and the governer (Schwarzeneger yet?) has handed over his administration to her.

Buffy characters on Angel; 16

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony. POSSIBLY The First Evil

Questions and observations;

You almost get the feeling that this was getting towards to the end of the season and the budget was running out so they said 'Hey let's put the entire ep in those old tunnel sets, that'll save us enough money for some Lord of the Rings CGI'. Still some nice stuff with the bug and a great climatic cliffhanger.

Lorne mentions that he heard Belieze was nice which is where Riley has been killing demons in seasons 5/6 of Buffy.

Quite honestly do the words 'and the National Guard' ever signify anything good? When the National Guard turn up it's normally a signal that things really can't get much worse. I suppose if you were under fire in Vietnam and some National Guard troops came to help you then it would be a good thing?

I take it it's Connor's blood on Angel's hands? Unless someone can correct me the last we'll ever see of Angel's convertible? Note that at the beginning of the ep Angel is holding off the horde at the door to enable his friends to escape and at the end the situation is reversed.

Marks out of 10; 7/10

moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Dec 20, 2010

Sacrifice was a really superb episode of Angel. I really enjoyed watching this episode because it was entertaining and revealed more information about Jasmine. Now that the whole gang has been awakened to the truth, except for Connor who never pulls away from Jasmine, they fight to reveal the truth to every one else. I thought this episode was interesting to watch as the characters dealt with impossible situations. This episode definitely moves the story line along. I can't wait to watch the next episode to see how things play out. There were quite a few unasnswered questions. This episode definitely shows another side to Jasmine and I think her power over people is very disturbing!!!!!!!moreless

Jasmine becomes interesting!

By TwistedConverse, Aug 12, 2008

I really didn't like this episode before but after rewatching it, I have to say I was really impressed with it and found it enjoyable! Much better than I expected and quite underrated!

I must say, Jasmine is excellent in this episode. She was menacing, evil and just gave off a really good villain vibe- I loved her scenes and was excited to see what she'd do next! From the teaser, where she watches our gang flee in the car with that murderous look on her face, we know the love and forgiveness she's so fond of raving about was gone here- she's utterly determined to kill Angel, Fred, Wes, Gunn and Lorne. Gina Torres was MUCH better here and one scene that shows off the psychoticness of Jasmine was the "I want your pain" one with Connor. Jasmine came off as controlling and power hungry, ripping into Connor's hand with her fingernails. She's determined to have everything, even pain. She was just excellent here. Also, on first watch I thought her speaking through other people was cheesy, but today I found it a good effect and it made it feel as if every one was out for the gang's blood. Then Jasmine was even more brilliant in the last scene- laughing manically as the wounds her followers sustained cut into her as well. I never thought I'd say this but I really enjoyed old Jazzy this episode! *joins Jazminions*

The scenes with Gunn's old gang member were so-so. They came across as a walking clice but thankfully weren't featured too much. The episode really could have done without them but I'm glad they were just sidelined. The Fred/Gunn scenes were great- Fred's foreshadowing of her death saying "I'd rather feel pain than be a shell" was subtext of her inevitble consummation by Illyria. It was also a nice call-back to their relationship, which has sort of been forgotten for about 8 episodes.

The scenes with Wesley in the demon's lair was good and informing- the revelation that Jasmine's real name breaks her spell was good and it was nice to remember her telling Fred that she didn't want to choose her name- I remember thinking it was odd. It's nice to know even Jasmine has made mistakes- for all her planning and manipulating, her one big mistake proved her downfall- as most good villain's do.

Sacrifice is an excellent episode that makes you appreciate Jasmine as a villain- she was manic, scary and very well acted. I really liked her here! Really great episode.moreless

On the Run

By mattsafreak, Jan 23, 2007

We pick up where we left off in the last ep. Angel is barracading the door between himself and Connor/Jasmines followers. He tries to convince Connor of the truth but Connor will have no part of it, he believes in Jasmine. The rest of the gang made a getaway for the car, and suddenly two bodies fly out of the upstairs window right in front of them; Angel and Connor. Angel tells the gang to DRIVE and they leave Connor behind. They speed off into the night as Jasmine watches. As they drive, to Lord knows where, they listen to reports on the radio and realize Jasmine is spreading like wildfire. At the hotel Jasmine heals Connor and assures him that she is becoming more powerful everyday. The only thing missing from her speech is her pounding on her chest. Our fearless heroes take refuge in the sewer and soon come upon a gang of kids who are hiding out and have no idea who Jasmine is. They are also being picked off one by one by a creature who lives in the sewer. Soon enough we find out this creature inhabited the world that Jasmine ruled over first. Back at Jasmine central, much to Connors confusion, Jasmine has Cordelia moved for "her protection." Soon enough Connor and Jasmines army find the gang. The creature in the sewer has an orb that is a passage to his world, where answers about Jasmine may be found. As they barracade the door against Connor and crew, Angel goes into the passageway. Stay tuned!moreless

everything is coming together

By AngelRocks, Oct 18, 2006

i am so ashamed for liking this episode! but it is soo good!

jasmine is not that ugly and horrible. she and connor have some very touchy moments honestly. but this episode is greta because of angel and the crew who have to fight to stay alive. they are the only ones thwt know jasmiens true identity but so many dont and jasmine finds them and sends everyone to catch them. at the end angel is able to escape to jasmines past world and has ot leave everyone behind. very emotional moment and amazing end with angel in the other world!moreless

Another superb add to the Jasmine arc. Greatly written episode, acting and effects. The end was great as well.

By SleepTight, Mar 17, 2006

Sacrifice

Another perfect season 4 episode. I didn’t care that much for the sewer characters but I loved the spider looking demon. The other world. The dialog. But specially the interaction between Connor and Jasmine, that was priceless. This episode is another reason why season 4 is so good and it's so hard to pick the best episodes because they're almost all perfect.

Cut to where it left out and Connor says he's gonna tare him apart and Angel tells everyone to go and Angel smashes through the door and hits Connor until he's knocked out. The others wait outside and Connor body falls on the truck and Angel comes and tells them to drive.

the credits start

Cut to the car and they don't know where they're going and Fred wanted to take Connor but Angel says he was to dangerous. Cut to the room and Connor is there beaten up and Jasmine eats up those people and then cures Connor and he's all better again. Jasmine tells Connor that the gang cannot escape because her followers are Jasmine's everything. Cut to the gang going to a gas station and they begin to fight and the people talk with Jasmine's voice. Then they put the gas and are able to escape and Jasmine laughs.

Cut to the gang going into the sewers and they want some rest. Angel tells the gang to forget about Cordelia but something is in the sewers Cut to Connor and Cordy and Jasmine sees what they did to take out her blood. Jasmine asks Connor to let her alone with her mother. Cut to the sewers and they miss Jasmine. Cut to Wes and Angel falling in a hole but they save Wes and only Angel is there and a gang grabbed them. And something is there and Angels gang defeat the other gang. Cut to Connor going to Jasmine and Cordy is taken away and she says that Cordy is where she wants her to be and so is he and she leaves but Connor isn't convinced.

Cut to the sewers again. They go to a place and they live there and they don't know that Jasmine is there. A guy says that there is a monster in the sewers and Angel washes Connor's hand off. Now they are going to kill the demon inside. Cut to Jasmine and Connor wants to find them but she doesn't want him yet, she wants to celebrate now. Jasmine hugs Connor but he isn't smiling and she tells him to surrender completely and he wants to but he doesn't know how. Jasmine knows that pain is the one thing that has never abandoned him. She cuts in his hands and she says she wants everything that he is.

Cut to the sewers and something takes one of them but Angel jumps to save him and the boy sees Angel's vampire face and one those take Wesley away. Cut to the monster with Wes 'we loved her first'. Wes knows that he is talking about Jasmine and he is mad because they named her. The monster says that love is sacrifice. Cut to Fred and Gunn after the boy and Gunn tells Fred to be heartless but she doesn’t want that to be because she can't turn off her feelings. Fred says that what she killed the man that it hit her and that it ate her up inside and she prefers to be that than a shell. Then they go out.

Cut to the men having talking to vampire and he says he is a vampire. Angel says he could brake the man's neck if he doesn't let him save his friend. Cut to the monster with a body of a man. He has a key to open the other world. Wesley then realised that the word Jasmine cares about is her real name. The man wake up because it's a real vampire and he doesn't die of that and he cuts off the vamps tongue. Wes says that he can't die like that. The monster attacks Wes and tells him to shut up because Wes knows what takes Jasmine's power away. Cut to Fred and Gunn and they find the boy and they say that they're the good guys and Gunn knocks the boy out. Fred is still freaked out of what he did.

Cut to Wes pissing off the monster and he says that the only thing that has the name is a priest and Angel arrives and he fights the monster. Cut to the others arriving with the boy and they see it and then the boy wakes up and begins to love as Jasmine. Then the gang wants to kill Gunn, Fred and Lorne so they try to escape but there is Connor with cops. Cut to Angel and the monster but Angel cuts in the monsters neck and he dies. Wes has the cube to go to the other world. Angel feels something is going down and feels Connor.

Lorne, Gunn and Fred arrive to the place and they feel the others come in and Wes realise that with blood is the way to open it and the portal opens. Wes says that they can't go and that Angel is the only one. Angel goes into the portal and leaves the rest behind and it's time for them to fight. Cut to Angel arriving in the other world with full of those spider demons.

black out

Best episode quotes:

Angel: Connor, you have to listen to us.

Connor: Listen to you? You're the ones who lie. You're the ones who hate.

Fred: No, Connor-

Angel: Jasmine's controlling you, controlling your feelings.

Connor: You're wrong, dad. About me, about her, everything. It doesn't matter anymore what you say. We're gonna tear you apart.

Angel: Run! Get the car! Get out of here. I'll hold him off. Someone who knows the truth has to live through this. Go!

Wesley: Come on.

Connor: I'm finally part of something! I belong! I won't let anyone ruin that!

Jasmine: Connor, you're awake.

Connor: You're... indescribable.

Jasmine: I know.

Connor: They tried to turn me against you. They cut me... and rubbed blood into the wound.

Jasmine: The hateful always have one or two wretched tricks to play. You must rest now. We have nothing to fear from them. They are alone, we are many.

Connor: But Gunn and- and Wesley and Lorne... They've all been turned. We have to stop whatever they're-

Jasmine: We will. Connor... there's nothing they can do. Every moment that passes I grow closer to my followers. I feel what they feel, I see what they see. We're fusing together like the cells of a single body. They're my eyes, my skin, my limbs, and, if need be, my fists.

Gunn: Man, never seen so many cruisers.

Wesley: Technically, we're the only criminals left.

Angel: There's no way we're drivin' out of this. It's time we disappeared.

Lorne: Yeah, I'm movin', Angel cakes. Might not look like it, but inside, where it counts, I'm runnin'. Full speed ahead, believe me.

Angel: It won't take them long to figure out- One minute.

Fred: I doubt anyone under her control knows these tunnels better than you.

Angel: Yeah, it should buy us some time.

Gunn: Time to do what? Get all stanky and starve to death? I mean, what are we doin'?

Angel: You know what? I don't know what we're gonna do, Gunn. I don't have a plan. Now, I guess this whole Jasmine world order thing kind of took me by surprise.

Gunn: Well, I ain't eatin' no rats.

Angel: Good. Neither am I.

Gunn: All right, then, plan's comin' together.

Angel: Glad to see you're on board.

Fred: Oh, god. All-all the chasing and the chaos-

Wesley: Cordelia.

Fred: I can't believe I almost forgot about her.

Angel: Do it. Forget about her. We all have to now. We don't have a choice. Minute's up.

Jasmine: Connor.

Connor: Look.

Jasmine: I know. I saw it through you.

Connor: It was them, wasn't it?

Jasmine: It horrifies me to see what they're capable of. How far they've let their hate take them. They cut into her while she lay sleeping. Her precious blood stolen for their black, deceitful, cowardly magic.

Connor: They're always using magic.

Jasmine: Leave me. I want to be alone with my mother.

Lorne: You look a little down, sugarplum. Is it Cordy?

Fred: I can't. I don't care what he says.

Lorne: I know, kitten. It's strange, but under that blood-feeding creature of the night facade, he seems a bit heartless lately.

Angel: Hearts get in the way.

Lorne: Hearing as good as ever, though, boss!

Angel: If we don't gut ourselves and burn out everything inside that gave her power over us, then we're lost.

Lorne: I hate to say it, Dr. Pep, but I've been lost for, like, 2 hours.

Wesley: Still, I miss her. I miss the warmth and the knowing what's right and that you're doing it just by loving her.

Gunn: Tough drug to kick cold turkey.

Fred: I remember the first time she took me aside at that fight at the bowling alley. Me, pale, frail Winfred Burkle, sitting with a goddess, and she was asking me what her name should be.

Wesley: Seems strange now. A being of her immeasurable age. You think she'd already have a name.

Lorne: Well, maybe it was embarrassing, like Hester or Peanut.

Jasmine: Yes. Of course. Drop by any time. And thank you for calling.

Connor: The police lost them hours ago. Let me go out. I'll bring them down, I promise.

Jasmine: Soon. Soon you'll go out with all of my strength behind you... but first we have to celebrate. That was the Governor on the phone. Very agreeable. He's dissolving his administration tonight. The time of the politician is over. This state now answers to me. Ohh! It's happening. Don't you feel it? This world is about to kneel before me and shed all its avarice, all its woe. I will free them from the loneliness, from the empty horror of their lives. They won't know what hit them.

Connor: I'm sure of that.

Jasmine: And you'll be there, at my side. We will live in a palace built by the love of billions. It will make the pyramids of Giza look like the headstones in a pauper's graveyard. We'll be a family, Connor. Together, as one, forever. It's going to be beautiful.

Connor: Yes.

Jasmine: Then why aren't you smiling?

Connor: I don't know.

Jasmine: I think I do. To belong, to truly be a part of something, you have to surrender to it-completely. Cordelia has done that, but you...

Connor: I want to, really.

Jasmine: There's a part of you that you've kept from me-your pain.

Connor: I don't understand.

Jasmine: Pain has been the only constant in your life, the one thing that has never abandoned you. You think that pain is yours to keep and bear alone. But it's not. I want it. I want everything you are. Connor, father, let it go. Let me have it.

Connor: Ok.

Jasmine: Ok.

Gunn: Matthew? Matthew!

Fred: Matthew! You sure he went this way?

Gunn: Definitely heard splashin'. It's gotta be him.

Fred: Unless it was another one of those skittering creatures.

Gunn: Yeah, well, it better skitter its hindquarters outta my way, 'cause I ain't in the mood.

Fred: Or it could just be rats.

Gunn: Now what did you have to go and say that for? Damn!

Fred: Sorry, I wasn't- I'm sure if it's not Matthew then it's probably some horrible monster, but definitely not-

Gunn: Look at us. Where we are. I mean, yesterday we were happy. Happier than I ever thought possible. Now we're trudging through sewage, huntin' some 13-year-old kid to drag his ass back down here so he doesn't find out it's Shangri-la-la land up there.

Fred: He's scared, Charles. Think how he feels.

Gunn: You heard Angel. Feelings don't enter into it anymore.

Fred: That the world we're fighting for? The right to be heartless, an uncaring shell? To be dead inside?

Gunn: We're gonna be dead, period, if Jasmine gets a hold of that kid. We're fightin' for our survival.

Fred: That's not enough, Charles, not for me. May-maybe you can turn off your feelings like Angel can, leave the people we care about behind.

Gunn: Yeah, well, you had no trouble turnin' off your emotion chip when-

Fred: When what?

Gunn: Nothin'.

Fred: What were you gonna say?

Gunn: Forget it.

Fred: No, when did I ever-

Gunn: When you and I killed a man. I mean, when I did.

Fred: We did.

Gunn: Whatever. Point is, when the circumstances called for it, you did what you thought you had to. Didn't matter what anybody else thought.

Fred: You're right about all of it except for one thing. What we did, I felt it. Every bit of it. And, you know, sometimes when I allow myself to think about it, it eats me up inside.

Gunn: Yeah, me, too.

Fred: Well, I don't know about you, but... I'd take that over being a shell any day.

Gunn: Come on. There's a scared kid out there we gotta find.

Wesley: That door is open.

Spider Demon: Yes.

Wesley: Aren't you worried I'll just run away?

Spider Demon: Hm. Not worried. Good at catching furries.

Wesley: Yes... clearly. So... not from around here, are you?

Spider Demon: No. Other world. Older world. You go. Go on. Use my key. Visit. What we breathing there burn out little mouse lungs before you can make a peep.

Wesley: Fair enough.

Spider Demon: Fair enough. Fair enough-enough.

Wesley: Are you preparing a spell?

Spider Demon: Mmm, this blood magic. Flesh magic. Older than words. More much power. This magic

she will hear. She will hear and remember her true ones.

Wesley: So no incantations, then?

Spider Demon: No words. She gives no care about words. Word magic.

Wesley: Really.

Spider Demon: There is only one word she-

Wesley: One word?

Spider Demon: Shh!

Wesley: What word... does she give care about?

Spider Demon: You is talky meat. Don't make me come down there.

Vampire: Aah! My god! What is it with you, man? This is disgusting.

Spider Demon: You!

Vampire: Just drop the cliche serial killer crap and stake me already! Please!

Spider Demon: I tear your guts all inside out. I stitch your guts every all over. Why don't you go dead?

Vampire: Why don't you go f-

Spider Demon: Pssh! More talky meat.

Wesley: You can't kill him, not that way. He's already dead. He's a vampire.

Spider Demon: Hmm, vampire. Like the one with the angry steel?

Wesley: Angry steel?

Spider Demon: The one that hurt me in the tunnels back there.

Wesley: Angel.

Spider Demon: Eh?

Wesley: That's his name, the one who attacked you.

Spider Demon: You creatures! Throwing your names all over all the time! That's why you're so weak. Too many are knowing your names, takes your power away.

Wesley: It doesn't work that way here. With us- So that's the word, isn't it? The word she gives care about?

Spider Demon: Shut.

Wesley: It's her name.

Spider Demon: Shut! Shut! Shut! Shut! Shut! Shut! Shut!

Wesley: She has a name, and it has power over her! That's why she keeps it a secret!

Spider Demon: La-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la! I'm not listening!

Wesley: And somehow her true name prevents her from choosing a false one? So one of us had to do it.

Spider Demon: What it matters, eh? Eh, talky meat? I don't keep the name. High priest keep the name! And you about to go dead, about to be a smear on my flesh spell. I just messenger from the ones who love truly.

Angel: Well, then... I guess it's time to shoot the messenger. Or, you know, chop the messenger into little bitty pieces. Whatever.

Spider Demon: Little mice. They always soft inside. Wretched little- Time to go dead, mouse. Wait your turn, talky!

Angel: Little soft yourself in there.

Spider Demon: Devourer...this meat...I give...unto thee.

Wesley: Angel, that creature, it came from a world that's worshipped jasmine for millennia, a world that we can reach through this.

Angel: What?

Wesley: I think the universe just handed us our first break.

Wesley: Angel, I got it!

Angel: Ok, I'll hold this. You guys get going!

Wesley: No. No! We can't go! Only you!

Angel: What are you talking about?

Wesley: That thing's world, the atmosphere will kill us. We can't help there.

Angel: But-

Wesley: Someone who knows the truth has to live through this. Angel, that's you.

Angel: I can't.

Fred: Hearts get in the way, right?

Wesley: Angel, wait! We can't hold it.

Gunn: Time for the big fight scene.

Story: 10

Acting: 10

Writing: 10

Picture: 10

Gripping: 10

My Rank: 10

Total: 10

moreless

After revealing Angel the true face of Jasmine, Fred and the ensouled vampire manage to ''convert'' Lorne then Wes and Gunn and finally Connor. But it seems that Connor can't face the truth and remain on Jasmine's side. The gang is forced to hide in the s

By Gyronymo, Oct 21, 2005

I just loved this episode. Season 4 is not my favorite but this episode is so great. The way we find out that Connor is acting of pure love for Jasmine and the final scene when everyone minus Angel are fighting in a desperate attempt I just love this...

The atmosphere of the Angel Universe is getting much darker as we know more of Jasmine\'s intentions and Vincent Kartheiser\'s character is helping a lot on this hand since he\'s been having a dark personnality since his appearance in the end of season 3.

A great plus I must say to Angel...moreless

Love is sacrifice.

By tjaman, Aug 25, 2005

In "S4x01 - Deep Down" Angel says this to Connor: "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel, and that's why there's us. Champions. It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be. To show it what it can be. You're not a part of that yet. I hope you will be. I love you, Connor. Now get out of my house."

And the stage is set for a mad season of crazy fun.

In this mad dash to the end of the season, in which a rogue pregnancy had to be accounted for as well as every laundry list item from the Shanshu prophecy, a Slayer sprung from prison, a hot live wire of a thief achieves character arc completion, the sun restored to the heavens, as not only a giganimous rock Beast needs to be overcome but also a messianic love goddess that eats people, Connor is trying to figure out how he fits into all of this.

Angel tells him up front. He doesn't.

As of "S4x20 - Sacrifice," Connor has made up his own mind on that score. As he says to Angel in the opening sequence, "I'm finally part of something. I belong. And I won't let anyone ruin that."

Jasmine emphasized the theme of belonging: "To belong, to truly be a part of something, you have to surrender to it. Cordelia has done that."

Aside: AHA! So Cordy was struggling at first. It seems to bear out my argument in past JASMINE WATCH segments of trying to gauge Cordy's struggle with the thrall growing inside of her.

In his efforts, Connor is the guy with his ear to the tracks who can't hear the train until three cars have crushed his skull. He's part of something, yes, but he refuses to acknowledge the pain that something is causing.

And who can blame him? CYNTHIA! itself, knowing only part of the truth, are suffering the worst drudgery in fighting it. One wonders if they were aware, beyond the mind control, beyond what Gunn characterized as the druglike nature of Jasmania -- heck, they don't even acknowledge, horrified, what they were prepared to do to to each other when they were under her thrall -- that she ate people to maintain that giddy joy they all felt.

Would it have strengthened their resolve? Looking around, Fred could only see the happiness that they were separated from. If they knew that people -- people with as perfect and legitimate a claim to existence as their own -- were dying for that happiness -- would that have made a difference?

Maybe. It's a pity that none of them knew. I'm not entirely certain they find out. We'll find out soon enough.

But the show has started building Wolfram&Hart's case. As they flee the hotel, Jasmine comes walking toward them, and from the perspective inside the car, she's still tall and willowy and beautiful. But from the perspective inside the car, she should've appeared in her true form. By the time Lilah accuses them of destroying world peace, her argument can almost make sense.

The running and fleeing plan was absolutely doomed to failure. There is no "warning" anyone against Jasmine. Even Fred's initial idea about creating a synthetic analog to Jasmine or Cordelia's blood so as to break the spell was gonna be a tough sell.

Finding a hiding place in the sewers left them in the best place, storylinewise, to stage a counteroffensive. Waiting for Jasmine to eat enough of the First Citadel of Jasmine to cast a thrall out to, say, Belize is simply unsatisfying.

Incidentally, why is everyone out of breath just by climbing down a ladder? They've been sitting in a car for a while, and the manhole entrance was, y'know, just there. Yet they're all exhausted and out of breath. Weird.

Jasmine had to eat half a dozen people to heal Connor. How much for a cancer ward? Hell, she could just eat the ward. But instead of the old, sickly and infirm, she's gaining her strength from the young and the vibrant and in at least a few cases, the hot.

GETTING META: Jasmine said, through a pod person, that they were hurting her just by existing. That seems like another reference to organized religion -- rout out and destroy the infidel, do not suffer the witch or the heretic to live.

Angel said, "Hearts get in the way. If we don't gut ourselves, burn out everything that gave her power over us we'll never make it."

"Dieu le vuelt," n'est pas? "It is G-d's will." It was the battle cry for the first millennial Crusade. The Crusaders had to destroy their humanity, ramp up their fervor, to rain down the kind of destruction they felt was demanded of them by G-d. There's no way you can kill a person, attack a people, destroy a city, without the concomitant regrets if you are facing people and cities. They must become, in one's own mind, evil. Infidel.

Heck, the replacing of the images of Christ with Jasmine -- "She Who Walks Among Us" -- in the Catholic churches in the Los Angeles diocese is all but an aside, this parallel is so glaring. CYNTHIA! needed to destroy its own humanity in countering The First Citadel of Jasmine.

Fred's reaction to that was a heartbreaking foreshadowing to the loss we'd experience in Season 5. "Is that the world we're fighting for? The right to be heartless, to be an uncaring shell, to be dead inside?"

Yes. It's necessary to also have equally the right to choose to be loving, to choose to reach out, to choose to be the champions Angel spoke of in S4x01.

When Gunn accuses her of ignoring her humanity in their murder of Professor Seidel, she says: "What we did, I felt it. Every bit of it. And sometimes when I allow myself to think about it, it eats me up inside.

"And I don't know about you, but I'd take that over being a shell any day."

* and thunder rolls on a distant horizon as Illyria stirs *

What Jasmine is about is about power. It makes her giddy. When she gets off the phone with the governor (and why she needed a phone is beyond me) "The state now answers to me." To Connor she says, "It's happening. Don't you feel it? This world is about to kneel before me aand shed all its avarice, all its woe. I will free them from the loneliness. From the empty horror of their lives. They won't know what hit them. We will live in a palace built by the love of millions. It will make the Pyramids of Giza look like the headstones in a pauper's graveyard. It's going to be beautiful."

Y'know, I think she is getting worse. Maybe Mr. Nasty and Kev have been right all along. Maybe she started out with good intentions and when she started melding with humanity and eating some of us, maybe she started absorbing the sinful self-interested nature of her followers and it's manifesting in her actions. In the same breath she talks about taking away our greed, our avarice, she's talking about the glorious temple she's going to build, without even Alanis Morrisette irony.

But again, Jasmine hasn't fought a single demon, and she hasn't stopped a single murderous thought. Quite the contrary. When Matthew is brought back into the fold, she tells the Goldman gang that Gunn hit him "again and again." Which is simply untrue. And she incites mob violence against Gunn, Fred and Lorne. And in that moment, that violence just seems right and good and giggly fun to them.

Jasmine is all about feeling good. There's no sacrifice in Jasmania. There's only a single-minded will to win. The prevailing attitude following disenchantment is regret and loss. Meaning that what she gave was some kind of supplement, or a painkiller.

Wes said, on their way to ... well, the next scene: "I miss the warmth, and the knowing what's right, and that you're doing it just by loving her."

Well, no, not exactly. You're doing it just by bending unquestioningly to her will. Thereby she rewards you with the soma. The sweet, sweet elixir of doing a bunch of potentially even awful things but not ... caring overmuch about them.

Joss seems to be defining his own morality. You don't get to kill people and steal and commit unspeakable horrors and then look to the sky and say "Oops" and everything's OK again.

But in the Jossverse, even if you do what you do because an evil demon is walking around in your corpse, there's no forgiveness. There's always a Holtz who shows up at the worst possible time to remind you that no matter how often you save the world and how many puppies you save, you still haven't atoned for the crimes of murdering his family. Y'know what? There is no recompense for Holtz. And there's no excuse for what he did to Angel's son, either. Two wrongs did not make a right in that case, and as has been said from time immemorial, "An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind."

I .... prefer what Joss calls in a speech by Kate in "S1x06 - Sense and Sensitivity" a beautiful lie. I choose to worship a G-d who can forgive because we as human beings are simply too fallible and earthly justice is too limited. If we knew we were making account to a loving, merciful and above all forgiving G-d, even if it is intellectually unsatisfying, that's the world I choose to live in.

Of all the gin joints in all the world: In their hours of wandering around beneath the city, CYNTHIA! encounters a trap set by the Goldman gang, who lost a member, Tommy, fighting ... well, let's call him Scorpio, since he's so bashful with names. The Goldman gang leads them back to where they lost Tommy and Wesley is taken by Scorpio.

Scorpio's presence in L.A. is odd, but I guess he's tracked Jasmine to this dimension, in this space, nearby. Why he's torturing a vamp making blood magic rather than presenting his worship to Jasmine is .. a little strange, but I guess he's preparing a sacrifice.

Sacrifice. What he says love means -- "Same as all bodies. Same as everywheres." Well, it'd be a better word if people had any say in it. I get that the people might actually be happy to sacrifice themselves, but something about the effect Jasmine's thrall has on the higher reasoning centers makes me very suspicious about that.

So is Jasmine's thrall acceptable -- a religious leader who makes you believe everything's OK because she says it is? Well, even in the theology of Christianity there's sacrifice. However, in a more exact parallel, Jasmine would be the one dying for her followers' happiness.

SIDE NOTES: Wes (after Fred talks about naming her): "It seems strange now. A creature of her unmeasurable age -- you'd think she'd already have a name." -- Which suggests that when she was explaining herself, they were unwilling or unable to question her.

CORDELIA WATCH: Fred can't believe they forgot about her, and Angel says: "Do it. Forget about her. We all have to now. We don't have a choice."

That was as much to the fans, I think.

Connor's reaction to the disappearance of Cordy is interesting to me. He spends most of the rest of the episode suspicious that Jasmine has eaten Cordy. But he still does her bidding. Even out of a contact buzz, even on his own, even desperate to belong, Cordy does still matter to him. But when he gives up his pain, when he goes after them, down in the sewer, when Jasmine is able to speak through him in the same way she does through all of her followers, Connor fights with a fervor he didn't have after he thought Cordy got eaten.

THE OTHER WORLD: Angel steps through a portal into the Other World. The Older World. The world Jasmine ... left.

Submitted for your approval: Our future, ladies and gentlemen. The razed devastation resulting from a single-minded purpose.

Supporting proofs: There was this eerie lack of industry when Gunn and Fred found Matthew -- empty streets in the middle of the day, two trash collectors and a skateboarder. In Los Angeles. Anywhere in Los Angeles.

This Other World seemed to be one potential result of everyone worshipping Jasmine without any care for anything else. Just build Jasmine a temple. A big temple. No, an even bigger one. Consume all resources. Nothing else matters.

The demonstrated result? A populace of crazed junkies desperate for a fix, of those who Loved Her First, jonesing like mad and unable to even address the hellscape she's left in her wake.

Sacrifice, yes. But of what?moreless