Spin the Bottle

Pure genius!

By joxerlives, Jan 21, 2012

SPIN THE BOTTLE

The Good;

All of it, easily one of the best episodes of season 4, obviously with a debt to Buffy's Tabula Rusa but with a delicious spin of it's own. Unlike 'The Shroud of Rahmon' the framing device of Lorne with an invisible audience is terrific, he even breaks the 4th wall. If there is a favourite moment I think it would be CC declaring Fred as 'all neck' and Fred giving the 'mother of all shrugs'.

The Bad;

Only thing I can find wrong is that the commentary is not as good as you'd hoped despite having Joss and Alexis. Again though wouldn't Liam notice his lack of heartbeat etc?

Best line:

Gunn; "What happened to you man?"

Wes; "I had my throat cut and my friends abandoned me"

Apocalypses: 5

Doyle; 1

Gunn; 2

Lorne; 6

Groo; 1

Kills: Gunn says he's been killing vamps since he was 12 . He threatens to cut Lorne's head off although we actually know that wouldn't kill him. Another vamp for Connor who is starting to catch his old man up.

Cordy: 6 vamps, 3 demons

Angel; 41 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 8 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 12 demons+3 vamps, 2 humans

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 12 demons.

Groo; 1 demon

Gunn; 1 Fred

Fred; 1 Gunn

Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:

Wes' projecting stake and Fred's fear of aliens probing her helpless naked body. Liam is all for the sinful desires. Connor get's felt up by a hooker and CC promises to sleep with him if he kills Angel. CC is delighted with her bountiful adult breasts, Fred disappointed she seems not to have much. CC says 'Hello salty goodness' when she sees Liam which is exactly what she said about Angel when they first meet. CC in her towel. She thinks that danger makes her hot, she said the same about Xander and her in 'Dopplegangland'. CC thinks Angel is deviant because he didn't try anything with her.

Captain Subtext;

CC thinks Gunn and Wes wrestling is ***-erotic. CC wonders how Wes got the title 'head boy'? Note CC treats Fred EXACTLY as she treated season 1 Willow.

Know the face, different character; 4

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Liam is alarmingly racist (as indeed is Keith Topping in his book) both against Wesley as an Englishman and Gunn as a slave. Ironically he later comments that people are ganging up upon him because he's different and he accuses THEM of being hypocrites. CC comments that she know's who's president and wishes she didn't. Weird, I'd have always thought of her as a right wing girl. Gunn suggests that if something looks wrong it should die which is a lot different as to how he thought in 'That Old Gang of Mine'.

Buffy characters on Angel; 16

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

Questions and observations;

Fred is a cannabis smoker. Maybe it doesn't make you dumb after all? Liam thinks the cars outside are demons which is exactly what C17th noblewoman Buffy thought in Halloween. Interestingly Wes refers to the Watcher's academy being in Hampshire which means it may have survived Caleb's attack on the London base and helps Buffy&co in season 8. Interestingly Angel doesn't trust magic, much like Connor. Wes is very Bond as has been commented on before. Gunn's fears that he's just the 'muscle' (the BA Barracus?) of AI once more come to the fore. Interesting to see him as an angry young man just as we saw in 'Double or nothing'. Some funny mocking of Angel's very poor Irish accent. Gunn votes that they don't put Wes in charge, a ref back to 'There's no place like plze grb'. Note that when Gunn goes for a weapon he instinctively selects his hubcap axe even though he's amnesiac. Note also Fred fondles the palms, Illyria later able to mind meld with them.

Lorne smokes again. Even though he's his teenage goof self Wes is still heroic, pitting himself unhesitatingly against a vamp to save Fred and CC and quite a good leader. Lorne tells Fred 'look into your heart' which is the famous line from 'Miller's Crossing', the greatest gangster film ever. Our first glimpse of The Beast.

Marks out of 10; 10/10 stunning

moreless

Memory is a complicated thing, a relative to truth, but not its twin. - Barbara Kingsolver

By fatfreeoreos, Jun 15, 2010

"Spin the Bottle" is a bit like Angel's version of Buffy's "Tabula Rasa", on the surface. But underneath, it is teeming with so much more.

In an ill conceived attempt to retrieve Cordelia's memories, the gang use a spell that backfires horribly. Everyone, except Lorne, reverts back to their teenage selves.

This gives us great insight into the backgrounds of characters about whom we don't know much before they came to the show, such as Fred, Wesley and Gunn. Cordelia is a breathe of fresh air in her old Queen C persona. Angel is once again an innocent man, Liam, who is out of place in LA, far from his home in 18th century Ireland and ignorant of his vampirism. Gunn and Wesley's interaction is perhaps the best of the episode. Their characters differ so much, their bickering is hilarious.

Of course, this episode is not filler. Wesley deduces that their situation is like the Cruciamentum from Buffy's "Helpless", and that they must find the vampire. Alas, when Lorne wakes up and reveals that Angel is the vampire, Liam acts like he thinks he should and the rest turn on him. Connor shows up to save the day.

Lorne brings everyone back to normal, but Cordelia's memories do come back, to disastrous consequences.

The format of this episode is unique. Lorne breaks the fourth wall multiple times, even referring to the commercial break at one point. He narrates the episode to a nightclub audience. There are also a couple very cool scenes in which he narrates directly in the middle of the action, such as when he sums up the major points in the Fred/Wes/Gunn happenings.

One of the best episodes in a season that, while it may not have the best overall arc, had many very good standalones.moreless

Trying to get back Cordys memories, Lornes spell backfires making all of the team believe they are teenagers again. Not knowing each other or why they are there, Together they try to figure out what they are doing there at the hotel and why.

By mmcmillan, Apr 14, 2009

A MUCH WATCH EPISODE!!!!! SO FUNNY!!!! With so many serious things happening in this season so far, it's nice to have an episode where you're able to laugh and relax and still keep with the story line. Sometimes when shows do an episode like this it turns out a bit cheesey. This episode was everything but cheese. The actors did the switch-a-roo like champs! Fred asking about weed and Angel not knowing he's a vamp were great parts. But Wesley realizing he has weapons in his sleeves made me laugh so hard I almost peed (seriously) This is one of my favorite episodes ever. I kept rewinding certian parts just to watch over and over again.moreless

"Got any weed?"

By TwistedConverse, Aug 04, 2008

Spin The Bottle is without a doubt the funniest episode of Angel and loses out to first place in the entire 'verse to Doppelgangland for the funniest episode. It's almost a direct copy of Buffy 6.08 "Tabula Rasa" but I find this episode much better. Whereas Tabula Rasa took away all of our character's entire memories, this episode took away their memories from after their seventeenth birthday. Cordelia is the nasty b*tch, Fred is a pothead, Wesley is the huge clumsy geek, Gunn is the aggressive tough guy and Angel is an 1700's Irish peasant. What's so great about this episode is that while it is absolutely hilarious, it's one of the most important episodes of the series. Not many episodes are like this but Spin The Bottle is pivotal because it is the episode where our gang mistakenly re-awake Jasmine inside Cordelia. This one scene is probably the most important this season as the rest of the season is built around this. The flash to The Beast's eyes was suitably creepy and mysterious.

However the reason this episode is so great is that it's just so funny. We haven't really had a funny episode since "Carpe Noctem" which wasn't great but here 90% of the episode is funny. It was so great to see Cordelia back to Sunnydale Cordelia and I thought that seeing as Cordelia has changed so much, the writers did a great job bringing back the b*tch she once was. She had some excellent lines and Charisma Carpenter looked like she was having great fun portraying the nastier side of Cordy. Same goes with Alexis Denisof who was at his funniest here- Wesley has changed so much too and it was so good to see the clumsy geek he once was. Fred was brilliant too and I really really love Teenage Fred; she's just like an immature, crazier version of Fred and her lines about wanting to "score some weed" make me laugh every time. Angel/Liam was funny too but definitely not the highlight. He had an innocent sense of humour and David Boreanaz was great but he was overshadowed by Cordelia, Wesley and Fred. However, Teenage Gunn was completely irritating and served no purpose but to run his mouth off. I really didn't like him and would have much preferred he was knocked out at the start.

I love the way Lorne narrated the episode; it was a nice touch and it gave Lorne something to do this episode. We are left wondering whether it post NFA Lorne as he seemed slightly different and his description of bringing Cordelia's memories back made me think he was remembering the Jasmine-caused badness. Connor was just extremely annoying here and I really hate the Cordy/Connor thing. He acts like a spoilt child and was ready to kill his own father just to score with Cordelia. He comes across as self-centred and I honestly have no sympathy for him anymore; he's just a bad character. I was glad Angel/Liam beat him up though.

Spin The Bottle was an incredible episode that was hilarious and pivotal at the same time. A gem of S4 and the series as a whole.moreless

A blast from the past!

By tvownsLEXIE, Jan 27, 2008

It was great to have old Wes back, with his goofy manners and giant head. Old Cordy was a blast also. After having the characters go through such a hard time over the past year and grow so much, and then go back to the old ways for an episode, it makes you finally appreciate how amazing the actors really are! I'm not sure what was going on with Fred wanting to "score some weed" though. And if I recall correctly from Buffy season 3, high school Cordy was originally attrached to Wes. But I loved that she used the same "salty goodness" line that she used when she first met Angel. That was just genius.

It was also initally confusing as to why Lorne didn't lose his memory. I know he was unconscious when Cordy smashed the bottle, but he was still in the room. Oh, well. It doesn't really matter. The episode was genius!!!moreless

By lenzinoH20, Sep 14, 2007

Spin The Bottle-When Lorne performs a spell on Cordelia to restore her memory, it inadvertently causes the gang to revert back to their high school personas and leaves them with no memories of each other. Eventually, Wesley theorizes that the only way to reverse the spell may be to kill a vampire, just as Angel realizes that he is one.

Joss Whedon writes and directs another classic for this series as the whole cast give top notch performances as their teenaged selves! Cordelia is the best out of the bunch as Charisma easily goes back to her roots as the smart mouthed, rich b!%ch she was in the early years of Buffy. Then Alexis who easily switches back to the clumsy, dorky watcher Wesley use to be. Angel is now Liam, his 18th century teenage self and Fred, is a quirky yet weird teenager. Lastly, there's Gunn, who a tough street wise teenager who hates everything that's not human. This episode fill with so many hilarious lines, scenes and moments it's hard to remember them all! The best parts are Cordelia's hilarious lines especially like when she first meets Fred:

Cordelia: "Hey where both in school, why don't you be my friend so I can lose all my cool ones."

Then there's Liam keep calling Wesley a filthy British man, Fred's constant blurting out of wanting some pot, Gunn and Wesley's girly fight, Wesley bumping into things and just being so incompetent, Liam finding out his a vampire then everyone reaction to him being one. Never have I laughed so much during an episode of Angel( well besides Smile Time, but that's for a future review!) The script was so sharp, and the whole cast was flawless. Not to mention, Lorne's narration through the whole episode was the toping on this perfect sundae! All and All, one of the funniest and best episodes of the series, which has classic humor and fantastic acting from the whole cast. It's also the only real bright and light-hearted episode in this overwhemlingly dark year.moreless

teenagers again.

By HaveSumFaith, Sep 01, 2007

Lorne does a spell to get cordy to remember her life, but it backfires. they al wake up, including wesley as teenagers. wesley takes the leader position, and bosses around gunn, who wont take it. they find out their is a vampire and they must kill it. angel or should i say liam finds out he is the vampire. this episode was a perfect example of how the characters have evolved. obvousibly, cordelia goes back to how she was at the begining of buffy, which you gotta love. and she thought everyhting was about her hair. wesley is again the dorky watcher that faith blew off. Angel is now Liam, his 18th century teenage self. Fred is a disturbed pot head. who would have expected that. gunn is a demon hater, kill everything kinda guy. much like when angel and him first met. cordy was really funny throught this episode. her talking to fred was so her, and cordys scream. hilarious. angel gets to call wesley a british man, and make fun of him for that. and fred wants pot. she even does a weird dance wesley does to check for a stake. wesley is just so funny as his old clumsy self. i loved the fact that lorne had told the whole episode, but i wanted to find out who he was telling. this episode is a great bright episode in a season of more serious ones. and also, i loved all the buffy refrences. on a more serious note, i liked the part where in the begining angel is trying to explain that they were in love to cordy. and at the end when he asks her, and she says they were. how sad: were. and when conner was talking abot angel, and he diidnt even know it, i loved that part. they had nice bonding time by accident.moreless

By lenzinoH20, Aug 16, 2007

Joss Whedon writes and directs another classic for this series as the whole cast give top notch performances as they're teenaged selves! Cordelia is the best out of the bunch as Charisma easily goes back to roots as the smart muthed, rich b!%ch she was in the early years oon Buffy. Then Alexis who easily switches back to clumsy, dorky watcher Wesley use to be. Angel is now Liam, his 18th century teenage self and Fred, is a quirky yet weird teenager. Lastly, there's Gunn, who a tough street wise teenager who hates everything that's not human. This episode fill with so many hilarious lines, scenes and moments it's hard to remember them all! The best parts are Cordelia's hilarious lines especially like when she first meets Fred:

Then there's Liam keep calling Wesley a filthy British man, Fred's constant blurting out of wanting some pot, Gunn and Wesley's girly fight, Wesley bumping into things and just being so incompetent, Gunn walking up with the crazy white folks, Liam finding out his a vampire then everyone reaction to him being one. Never have I laughed so much during an episode of Angel( well besides Smile Time, but that's for a future review!) The script was so sharp, and the whole cast was flawless. Not to mention, Lorne's narration through the whole episode was the toping on this perfect sundae! All and All, one of the funniest and best episodes of the series, which has classic humor and fantastic acting from the whole cast. It's also the only real bright and light-hearted episode in this overwhemlingly dark year.moreless

By lenzinoH20, Aug 16, 2007