FX Renews Archer for Two More Seasons

By Tim Surette

Mar 07, 2014

All that cocaine has really done wonders for the Archer crew, because now they think they have enough energy to last for quite some time. According to my secret sources (okay, it's just The Hollywood Reporter), FX has ordered two more seasons of the raunchy animated series, ensuring that Archer will live to see Season 7 and remain on the air through 2016. 

Archer reinvented itself this season by revealing that spy operation ISIS wasn't a government organization, and that Sterling, Lana, and everyone else's place of employment was an independently funded private outfit. So ISIS did what it had to when the feds shut it down: Changed its main source of income from espionage-for-hire to the sale of confiscated cocaine! And maybe also starting a country-music jug band. 

This renewal isn't a surprise. Archer's been doing great for FX in the key 18-49 demographic, and according to THR, it's the second-highest-rated basic cable comedy among that age group. Even a two-season renewal isn't that shocking—that's just how FX rolls. 

But the real question is, and I want you to answer it in the comments, does the show have enough left in the creative tank to run for two more seasons?

• Comments (36)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • shocker713 Mar 07, 2014

One more season to go and they can be syndicated!

• CT0760 Mar 07, 2014

Archer miiight have some creative juice left in the tank for a few more seasons, I guess they went to drug dealing since you can parody someone only for so long so I imagine they'll do the drug dealing or 1 or 2 seasons until they can get more ideas and go back to spying

• fweak Mar 07, 2014

Archer is probably my favorite animated series currently and maybe my favorite comedy overall. I'm thrilled they've been picked up for two more seasons and hope there's more where that came from. The show is nowhere near the Danger Zone of being stale or old, which is extremely evident in this season where they've all had to change careers and grow as characters.

• ted2332 Mar 07, 2014

I have liked this season with the different storyline and Pam having more exposure (nudge nudge wink wink) but I also hope they go back to the spying game.

• TrevPlatt Mar 07, 2014

Best news I heard in quite some time.

I hope they go back to being spies though, I like the little coke-filled gap year, but it's time to get back to work.

• dodge_hickey Mar 07, 2014

I agree, I would like them to mix up the spying though if they ever go back to it...

• Ratty11 Mar 07, 2014

I've been pretty dissatisifed with this season as well. Something about the whole cocaine thing just isn't as interesting or funny to me. I've even been missing episodes and not feeling bad about it! But I totally agree that all the extra Pam time has been a silver lining.

Sploosh

Awesome news, love me some Archer. I kinda hope they start deveating from the current format though, it worked for a few episodes but there is only so much they can do.

• TrevPlatt Mar 07, 2014

I don't do the "twitter" thing, but even I think #Sploosh should be doing that "trending" thing that happens sometimes.

Agreed! It'd be a great change from the crap that's there now...

• TrevPlatt Mar 07, 2014

Like all the shitty spoiler-ific ones that MTV and ABC Family projectile vomit at viewers during their shows!

You hit the bullseye right there!

• noelveiga Mar 07, 2014

I'm weirded out by this notion that Archer is faltering. It has been consistently funny throughout, and it's gone for five seasons in a world with The Simpsons and Family Guy. Their continuing reinvention and game-changing turns have never felt like petering out to me, they're part of the reason why the show keeps working.

• Hoss1121 Mar 07, 2014

Enough in the tank? Maybe not, but I'd rather see them try than watch the many lesser options. Plus, I bet the creator of Archer would rather pull the show himself than go down The Simpsons and Family Guy route of becoming stale and repetitive for a guaranteed fat check.

As for just finding out there will be two more seasons...

'Nuff said!

• Bloodangel Mar 07, 2014

Well the gang still has to deal with the KGB androids and the search for Sterling's dad so yeah it has a lot of gas in the tank

• See More Comments (14)