Arrow Unveils Roy's New Look: Here's Colton Haynes in His Arsenal Costume (PHOTO)

By Noel Kirkpatrick

Jul 24, 2014

In advance of its presence at Comic-Con this weekend, Arrow is starting to reveal some new details about Season 3, starting with Roy's (Colton Haynes) new costume as he assumes the Arsenal mantle.

Take a look!

It's in step with the show's approach to Oliver's costume, what with the leather-y look and all. I like the crimson coloring and the fade-out from the bottom of the jacket (which still looks like a hoodie, a nice nod to Roy's old standby) to the pants, but I'm not really sold on the laces, as they seem primed to get caught on something. 

Perhaps more importantly, I'm glad that Roy is skipping straight to the Arsenal moniker as opposed to adopting Speedy, which is already taken, thanks to it being Thea's nickname and all, or Red Arrow, which may've caused confusion since Oliver's not even going by Green Arrow, just the Arrow.

However, I also dig it because, while Roy enjoyed the perks and perils of the mirakuru serum, he's without that particular edge now, and since he lacks the extensive training that Oliver has, helping fight bad guys with a few extra weapons—namely, spare arrows and what look like escrima sticks in the boots—makes sense to me.

Arrow will likely have more Season 3 tidbits to share when the cast and producers convene for the show's Comic-Con panel on Friday. Warner Bros. TV and DC Entertainment will also be hosting an event this weekend, to promote their TV properties hitting the airwaves this fall. Stay tuned for more news!

What do you think of Roy's new costume?

• Comments (63)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • TomWayne Aug 06, 2014

Anyone taking sides on whether Abercrombie will end up missing something by the season's end, to parallel the comics? And, if so, by accident or at someone's hand (maybe MM?) or by some other cause?

(To be honest, I was convinced for quite a while that it was going to happen in season 2 by Slade's hand--especially after the handshake scene.)

• HeartlesSv420 Aug 10, 2014

I doubt it. That's just more CG they would have to do in just about every scene that has Roy in it. Unnecessary money spent. Just like Rick hasn't lost a hand in TWD even though he did in the comics. Just more money and work for basically a fan service.

• wingsabre Jul 26, 2014

I assume that now that there's a Green archer, a Red archer, and a Black archer who's public ID is well known, that the public will refer to the Arrow as Green Arrow, and Arsenal as Red Arrow. Opportunity for Roy to get annoyed and say, "It's Arsenal not Red Arrow." And the public will just address the Black archer as Malcom Merlyn or simply as Merlyn.

• Haloprogram Jul 26, 2014

love it!!!!

• alcalde Jul 26, 2014

I don't know what all the hate is about with the laces. Y'all don't want his shirt to fall off, do you? Oh wait....

• Edward_Kenway Jul 25, 2014

Can you imagine the potential action scenes we'll see with Oliver and Roy? They could be reminiscent of those involving Oliver and Sara, only better (if Roy is back to his agile, acrobatic self, which he should be without the Mirakuru inside him). All that red and green... makes me think of Christmas. :)

• cinthy_11 Jul 24, 2014

I think he is missing something, will see how that goes. Anyway can't wait for season 3

• BellaBellini Jul 24, 2014

I'm not familiar with the comics. But Colton is smoking hot in that costume. Arrow just gets better and better ;p

• djarum Jul 24, 2014

Does Ollie get an update too? I'd hate to have "the help" outshining Team-Leader...

I agree with the black mask under the red hood tho. or darken the shade on all the red

• TVvuer69 Jul 24, 2014

Don't really care for the laces. And with the costume predominantly Scarlett-colored, his eyemask should be black, not red. Personally, I would have liked it if he lost an arm and have gotten a cybernetic replacement with advanced weaponry like the Red Arrow character had in Young Justice. Then he'd be Arsenal for sure!

• ParanoidAndroid Jul 24, 2014

And how many characters / episodes must we endure before we see Roy 'I don't care about him at all' Harper taking up the Chelsea Arsenal mantle? Considering Arrow takes it sweet (but unnecessary) time to build something.

• noelrk Jul 24, 2014

None? This is from the season premiere, apparently.

• See More Comments (29)