Arrow's New Season 3 Trailer Features Olicity, Brandon Routh, and a Lighter Tone (VIDEO)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Sep 04, 2014

A new 90-second trailer for Arrow's third season has made its way to the interwebs, and based on the footage within, the series is looking more like a summer blockbuster than a TV show. The tone feels a little lighter, too, as our favorite hooded hero is no longer clinging to his doom-and-gloom attitude. 

But where is Arrow going in Season 3? Well, in the at the end of Season 2, we learned that Oliver actually escaped the island before the series premiere, so we'll be exploring that period of his life. Oh, and Oliver and Felicity will be sailing into romantic waters after the finale toyed with Olicity shippers' hearts.

In the new clip, Ollie (Stephen Amell) asks Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) if she likes Italian while in the middle of a high-speed chase. It's nice to see him still focused on cleaning up Starling City, but also enjoying his life, ya know? The pair will embark on their first date shortly after the series returns, and if the near-kiss that first hit—and nearly broke—the internet last week is any indication (it's also in the video below), it's going to be pretty steamy. 

Elsewhere in the trailer, Brandon Routh makes his debut as Ray Palmer ("I parked on your roof, hope that's okay?"), Laurel (Katie Cassidy) exercises her BAMF-ness, Thea (Willa Holland) spends some quality time with her father (John Barrowman), and Oliver and Roy (Colton Haynes) bond over taking out some bad guys with guns (yes, guns). 

So press play and then hit the comments with your first impressions of what's to come this season in Starling City!

If there's one way this trailer fails Arrow, it's that there's not enough Diggle (David Ramsey). Am I right or am I right? 

Arrow returns Wednesday, October 8 at 8pm on The CW.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview: 
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

• Comments (49)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • TomWayne Sep 24, 2014

So is the person at 0:48 presumably Black Mask? (Although the camera shake/blur implies Scarecrow ...)

I know Routh's Superman outing (Superman Returns) was considered a fail in the numbers, but I still think the guy does superhero one-liners exceedingly well.

• AnnieMN Sep 20, 2014

I feel like I'm in the minority when it comes to Laurel. I'm still holding Tommy's death against her. I hate the "heroines" who have 0 skills in protecting themselves, yet continuously knowingly go into dangerous situations (AHEM going to your place of work in the Glades even knowing a gigantic earthquake could cause the roof to fall on you) and end up causing huge problems for everyone else.
    Sara can kick ass with the best of them and Felicity can hack into any computer in the world. Laurel has no real skills other than being stubborn as heck.

• KayWatkins Sep 09, 2014

Whoo hooo! Looks good! Not okay with Olicity. I like them better as friends. I'd rather not ruin thier dynamic. I'm happy about Brandon Routh though. I recently binge watched Chuck so I've become a fan after I've finally successfully scrubed the Superman fail out of my head!

• aussiealias13 Sep 07, 2014

Soooooo can't wait :-)

• Rolamb Sep 06, 2014

I still don't believe there will be an Olicity, they're just fooling around with us with scenes out of context.

• katelynsunday Sep 06, 2014

Looks like it's going to be a fun season! :)

• kou_shun_u Sep 05, 2014

So happy to see Sara back and in the Canary outfit. The jacket handover to Laurel had me fearing the worst. Personally I trust their mother Dinah to be a better Canary than Laurel and it doesn't help that her name is "Sara" which isn't "Dinah" or "Dinah Laurel" and thus has be fearing because of canon.

Hope the Felicity/Oliver thing fizzles out or fails horribly. I know at the end of season 2 with the whole "i love you" thing my brother and I were bamboozled. We had hoped that Oliver was just using her to get Laurel and Sara out of harms way and when Felicity found out she'd be hurt and have a different view on Ollie but still work with him because it is the right thing to do. The way it went in the show was fine since it didn't have them hook up. The Green Arrow is a philanderer so it does stick to canon as long as the person who does hold his romantic interest the most is the Canary.

I know I am going to miss Slade. Sure I welcome back Merlin, but Slade was wonderful and I can't wait for his return.

• juliusoppongdamoah Sep 05, 2014

I can't wait to see Arrow Season 3

• SteveFreeman1 Sep 05, 2014

Holy sh!t...it's like a whole new attitude for the entire show. This is more like Green Arrow from the comics, where he's serious about the mission, but he knows that you still need to have some fun in your life. And I'm LOVING IT.

• MaschaC91 Sep 05, 2014

Just one more month... Just. One. More. Month. Crap, how am I gonna survive september XD

• See More Comments (23)