The CW Renews Arrow, Supernatural, Reign, The Vampire Diaries, and The Originals

By Kaitlin Thomas

Feb 13, 2014

Look's like it's time to start compiling this year's renewal/cancellation scorecard, because The CW has announced early renewals for five of its series, including freshman dramas Reign and The Originals, veteran dramas Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries, and not-a-freshman-but-not-yet-a-veteran drama Arrow.

Supernatural will be hitting double digits as it returns for Season 10, but the news isn't particularly surprising; CW President Mark Pedowitz recently told reporters that the Winchesters will be around as long as they want to be, as long as the show's ratings hold steady. And given that just two weeks ago, Supernatural earned its highest viewership numbers since 2010 when it aired a new episode opposite the State of the Union Address, it's probably safe for the foreseeable future as long as the cast sticks around. 

Meanwhile, The Vampire Diaries (which will be back for Season 6) remains the network's highest-rated show across all key demographics, and Arrow (which will be back for Season 3) is not only The CW's most-watched series, but the number-one show in its time period among men 18-34. 

The network has also re-upped on its TVD spin-off The Originals—which, once again, not really a surprise. The Originals already had a built-in audience of loyal and crazy fans when it premiered this past fall, and its pairing with Supernatural has given The CW its best Tuesday-night ratings in years.

But there is at least one surprising element to today's announcement, and that's the early Season 2 renewal for Reign. The series has proved to be a fun, interesting addition to The CW lineup despite some viewers' initial hesitation over a historical drama featuring a teenage Mary Queen of Scots. Pedowitz did say that he was bullish on Reign at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour in January, but I'm guessing that what he really meant was, "I love it and I am secretly a Frary shipper, but please don't tell the Mash people." Reign's ratings have continued to rise throughout its first season, but I'm not sure anyone expected an early renewal. In fact, I think most fans were fearing it would be stuck on the bubble until May. I'm going to ahead and say that Lily's hilarious episode reviews are at least 65 percent responsible for the good news.

Unfortunately, there's still no word on the fates of Beauty and the BeastHart of DixieThe Carrie Diaries, or freshman series The Tomorrow People. Tim's got two of those shows pegged as goners, of course, but The CW still has plenty of time to make decisions between now and the Upfronts in May.

Which renewal are you most excited about?

• Comments (252)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • faithstar13 May 29, 2014

i am thrilled that Reign has another season. But, in doubt of a decreased rating potential i hope they leave season 2 with a more endable finale but with a possible third season to follow. Tricky but due able.
    On another note i cant be more enthused that Vampire Diaries isnt going anywhere. But, how could it...? It has taken over so many tv addictions and the gossip around every corner for MORE, spreads like wildfire.
    Although, for my own opinion, id be a little irked at the idea of losing Beauty and the Beast. ive come to love the characters and the perception of the Tale, But, i see where the show is on edge. It sort of needs to get back to "beauty and the beast" instead of "beauty" and "A beast"...
    Well, that is my 2cents and hope my "tv addiction" is on point for my own satisfaction. But, good luck to all of those whose "addictions" are elsewhere.

Oh, last thing...
    SUPERNATURAL HAS BEEN ON "FOREVER" let it GO!!!!! You can only watch sooooooo much of the same acting same story line just a "diff. story" people say and still be THAT interested. some people watch now out of habit or waiting for an end... stop renewing that nonsense!! LMAO

• nikkiphillips3914 May 28, 2014

Love that Reign will be back for its 2nd season including Vampire Diaries and the Originals...,:)

• ddivito09 May 16, 2014

Love Reign and so glad it's continuing! Think they made a big mistake thou not bringing back Star Crossed. Both shows are different and exciting and full of beautiful people!

• tamarabuehler5 May 15, 2014

Vampire Diaries, The Originals and Reign are the things that keep me going all week!! Soooo happy they are renewed! Just need to keep Hart of Dixie going and my "tv life" will be complete!

• Maria860310 May 11, 2014

Reign is the best show. So happy they are going to keep it, but star crossed needed a season 2 to bad they canceled it.

• demonchook Apr 30, 2014

The Tomorrow People and Star Crossed both need season two's! And move TTP back to Wednesdays so the fans can have Amell Wednesdays again!! *-*

• akwansleeyz Apr 29, 2014

I think they should renew the tomorrow people its the best should there is on CW

• Lollipopfop Apr 23, 2014

Can't say i have ever watch any of these shows, though…so it will make it easier to simply scratch the CW off the list. Most people refuse to watch the CW , and I can certainly see why.

The CW in a sense of a "Good Network" is a bit skewed and ridiculous. But, though your opinion seems pretty uneducated, let me say, its a simple network of fantasized Sci-fi that basically finds beautiful people for men and women to lust over which in this society and day & age is to be sadly expected and well...Working.
    so you are right that it should be scratched off but its sole purpose seems to be simple-minded fantasy fulfillment that even someone like myself fell for and even if i wanted to get out...i couldnt. So, b glad you either havent started the shows by curiosity or if you have welcome to the twisted dark side of fantasy TV. haha :)

• Lollipopfop Apr 23, 2014

Its really too bad. But since they renewed Reign, there is no possibility for Tomorrow people. They were basically competing for one slot. Sad, but true. The sad part is that Reign is such a typical girly show.

• andreakwallace Apr 21, 2014

I would love to see the tomorrow people "top-side" and being super heroes!! Please renew it!!!!

• See More Comments (159)