Pilot

Episode Reviews (22)

Great

interesting

By TimeToParty, May 18, 2013

good start to the show, i am litery at the end of my seat with this show,

and his mother omg could not belive that,

What a joke.

By d-phrag, Dec 19, 2012

Really.

Pilot

By hell693, Nov 22, 2012

I watched the show with very high expectations and it surprised me as i loved it. The show is amazing. This episode is amazing and this show is the best new show this season. I was surprised that the best show for me was a CW show and i hope this show continues with this quality of action and storytelling and improve more to be an even more awesome show. can't wait for more.

Not what I was expecting.... in a good way!

By smpm22, Nov 10, 2012

I learned about Green Arrow through Smallville. Since the first moment I loved the character; he was the only one that would tell Clark what a wimp he was for not killing a killer. Of course, I understand Superman has a rule to not kill, and I respect that. But I think Green Arrow is a better hero for not having said rule. Therefore, he immediately became my favorite superhero from Smallville. Also, Justin Hartley's performance was enticing.

So, as a Smallville fan, I was expecting a lot from this series. Well, I still am. After watching the trailer I noticed two big changes: Justin Hartley was not playing Green Arrow, and the hero's personality has radically changed.

I approached the Pilot with distrust. I have to tell you, my fears have been put to rest. The Pilot is everything I was expecting and more.

Here are some points on why I think Arrow's Pilot was excellent:

It presents the background story for Oliver. How he was in a yacht that sank and was the only survivor. After many days at sea he found an island and stayed there for five years until rescued. But it is not presented from beginning to end, rather in a series of flashbacks through the whole hour. Which prove to be an ace up the writers' sleeves. Some unexpected things happened at sea that you don't get to see until the end of the episode and it serves as a plot twist and a hook for next week's episode.

It explains why he decided to become at vigilante and is targeting the wealthy of Starling City.

The characters are well presented and constructed. Oliver was a drunken playboy, but after five years on an island he returned as a killing machine. Oliver's sister, Thea, after suffering his brother and father's death as a kid, turned out a party girl and now recurs to drugs. Oliver's best friend, Tommy, is the same after five years because he hasn't gone through much. And so on.

It plays like an action movie. I can definitely see The CW's effort to attract men. They played their cards well. The pilot has everything an action movie needs: deaths, explosions, hand-to-hand combat, parties, a mob dealer, everything! I was so excited while watching this episode. You could pick any given minute of it, and something interesting would be happening. Nevertheless, there is a bit of drama in between of action shots. They were perfectly balanced. I just hope the writers don't tip the balance to either side; I don't want just action or just drama for this show.

It ends with a gazillion plot twists! Actually it's three or four, but by the end of the episode I felt like I was going to have a heart attack from all the times my heart jumped and sank. They wrote them brilliantly at the end, to serve as hooks for the next episode. Thus, at the end of the episode I found myself wanting to tear my hairs off my head and screaming: "why?" This of course in a good way, I just really wanted to keep watching Arrow.moreless

Finally started watching.

By Davieashtray, Nov 05, 2012

I am very surprised to say that this is actually one of my favorite new shows. I finally broke down and watched the Pilot, and was kind of hooked. I watched all 4 episodes in one night and was left wanting more. I was kind of expecting another crappy Smallville Green Arrow, but its darker and a lot of fun. Most pleasant surprise of this new season. Much better than Revolution, Beauty and the beast, and 666 Park Avenue put together.moreless

AMAZING

By MoralesAlpha, Oct 27, 2012

I AM TOTALLY HOOKED

The Pilot for Arrow

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 18, 2012

The Pilot episode of Arrow was pretty great! I really enjoyed watching from the gritty cold open of Oliver running through some rough terrain to the end where friends and family show they have their own agendas. I liked the format, the music, the cinematography, editing and the actors. This could definitely be the new Smallville etc... and I am definitely intrigued to find out how every thing will unfold. There was so much information and a lot of depth in this episode that I will watch it again to pick up small clues I may have missed. I certainly look forward to watching what happens next! This looks like it will definitely be an amazing series!!!!!!!moreless

People will watch anything

By sirknowalot, Oct 18, 2012

thin in every aspect especially acting. Smallville had better acting and thats not saying a lot. People should watch HBO and compare the calibre.

Arrow Begins

By MovieMark, Oct 17, 2012

The CWs replacement for Smalville (a show I had a love/hate relationship with, although it did end with one of its stronger seasons), Arrow's pilot, to its credit, is immediately engaging and does its absolute best to shed any similarities between Smallville's version of Green Arrow and the one showcased here, inexplicably rebranded as Arrow. And Starling City? Really?

Interestingly enough, While Arrow may not bare any glaring similarities with the Boy Wonder - Smallville's pilot was filled with angst and optimism, whereas Arrow is grounded in chiseled jaws and furrowed brows - the series resembles the origins of another DC character, The Dark Knight. And, as any fan of DC should note, that's not exactly surprising, as The Green Arrow was an intentional riff on DCs part for a more light-hearted version of Batman, although Green Arrow's origin story aint without its moments of bleak.

Alas, I digress. And I geek.

So how was the pilot overall? Ya know, it wasn't that bad! Definitely better than I expected it to be. Objectively, it manages to cover enough ground and lay the floor plans for a lot of different avenues, in terms of character arcs. As a bit of a geek, however, there is absolutely plenty to lap up here. The opening sequence is made all the better by the fleeting shot of an arrow piercing Deathstroke's mask. Our survey says: awesome! Throw in Merlin, Dinah Lance, and the fact that he called his sis Speedy, who clearly already has trouble with substance abuse, and this looks to be a show with a plan and definite pay-off for comic geeks.

Stephen Amell's take on Green Arrow is decent, if somewhat underwhelming. His presence and physicality in the role is next to none, however I found his acting to be a little too wooden in places. I am willing to forgive him however based on his torso alone - the guy is ripped! I hope they allow Olliver more time to breathe and have fun with his role as a playboy because I think the sulking may wear itself a little thin in a few episodes' time. Elsewhere, the cast seem solid enough, especially where Dinah is concerned; the fact that they cast Katie Cassidy in the role has my spider senses tingling (mixed comic metaphor, get over it!) that we will see Black Canary sooner rather than later, given how badass Ruby was in S3 of Supernatural.

The action scenes are nifty and extremely well-choreographed, on par with sister CW show Nikita in terms of hand-to-hand combat. Presumably we'll be treated to more and more flashbacks as the season progresses, hopefully spilling the beans on how Oliver became so proficient in mixed martial arts and archery. (Maybe he took all of his aggression out on Wilson. WIIIILLLLSOOOON!)

All in all, this was a really good start to the show. Sure, some of the familial trappings and shady doings are remeniscent of Smallville and the Luthors, but every character, thankfully, seems to have a personality of their own and a mini-arc already set in place for the next few episodes. As a pilot, while not perfect and certainly not as memorable as some of the CWs other shows, races, backflips and somersaults through the basics without any hassle at all. Bring on next week!

Oh, and thank you for you ruining Lost.moreless

Load More Reviews