Great

Review of Part A \"Arthur weighs in.\" Right now it\'s my turn to.

By SqueakyYugi, Aug 18, 2006

Before I begin, Marc Brown wanted me to deliver this message to anyone who watched the episode: Sorry.

Now that that's out of the way, let's sum up this episode, shall we? Arthur loses confidence about his weight when he outgrows his pants. His friends give him their honest-to-goodness opinions, saying that they see "more of him" and he always seems tired. The clothes store says they have nothing in his size except a very unflattering "husky" suit (ignoring adult sizes maybe?) What are we to gather from all this? Have 10 years of time finally caught up to his growth horomones? Is Arthur finally turning 9? Naw, he's just really, really fat. Long story short, Arthur's in a play and has to slim down so the pants fit him when he goes on.

Be honest with me for a second, have you ("you" includes "a friend of yours" or his/her kids) recently watched a program intended for kids without noticing even one blatant health endorsement? Didn't think so.

Now, I admit, Arthur has to become PC or risk being kicked off the air, but this is ridiculous. Why is Arthur the one who gets fat? Why not Buster, he eats his mom out of house and home and then has the temerity to berate his best friend's lifestyle? The real draw here is not the in-your-face-ness of the moral, the suddenness of Arthur's overweightness, nor the fact that young impressionable folk will probably be driven to anorexia next time they pop a button. What I hate is that this episode is obviously no more than an attempt for Arthur to keep up with the Joneses.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this episode was a complete flop. Just think of all the calories you'll burn when you run for the hills next time this episode airs.

1 and 1/2 out of 10