Arthur

Show Reviews (194)

Great

They really need to wrap this show up and end it.

By jack-hensley, Jun 09, 2015

They have taken this show as far as it can possibly go and the show is not improving no matter how much resources they sink into it. Odds and ends like giving Maria a voice or bringing back Lydia Fox are great short term plots, but the core storyline in the long term is not improving, nor can it. I'm noticing a pattern where they either do an odd and end if it's something new, or they just continue to repackage the same plots over and over but in the different wrapper and circle their wagons, which gets old quick.

All of the issues we are having with this show such as with plots, animation, and character development indicate a show that has run its course. It needs a conclusion to end it!! They can keep it on the air as others have stated (AND THEY WILL BE ALWAYS WELCOME TO DO SO!), as the show is still good, but once again, they need to give it a proper conclusion and end it on a good note. It doesn't need any more episodes.moreless

Hell will freeze over before I let the mortician pry this show from my cold, dead, wrinkly hands! He can have season 16-present, though.

By thebestofall007, Mar 08, 2015

This show dominates my hard drive now (nearly 40 gigs for this gem!) as I have every episode in my collection apart from "Arthur's Missing Pal" and season 16-present's recycled-plot flash trash garbage, of which I've written a separate thorough review of. I also have the two special episodes, too (It's Only Rock n' Roll and Arthur's Perfect Christmas). Season 16 to present is the only gripe I have against this show as of now and season 16 is the ONLY one I GENUINELY HATE with a passion on all fronts (not just the animation, either) and the new seasons after it can go to hell as well (and please don't give me that "be glad it's still on" dodge like a stupid lemming fanboy, either, while watching season after season decline with cognitive dissonance!). There are some good episodes in season 16-present here and there like Last Tough Customer, Read and Flumbergast, and Night of the Tibble, but that bad animation is still hard to come to terms with and ruins their potential by not giving life to the story (which is animation's whole purpose in any cartoon unless you like soundtracks or reading books, which are NOT the only things I would want to watch in a cartoon). It's the PUBLIC'S money PBS receives (and is wasting) and that's the real reality, and that crappy animation, character development, writing, and all the other issues we are having with the new episodes is a waste of that money, no matter how much or little they spent, folks. It's also a crying shame they ruined Artie's character and turned him into a total douche in the later episodes, and as well as having them just repackage the same plotlines over and over. Moreover, there are not enough good episodes that haven't already been touched upon to make me want to continue viewing the show from PBS, and I'm taking a bye on season 16-present's garbage.

With that tirade aside...

I LOVED The Busy World of Richard Scarry before this when I had cable TV, and STILL love that beautifully animated, memorable story-filled masterpiece (NOT that "Hooray for Huckle" or "Busytown Mysteries" garbage that came later, either! I'd rather read Richard Scarry's books instead of watching that for sure).

I was a migrant worker who picked cherries and apples in the orchards growing up and moved to areas with no cable TV and had weak reception thanks to the mountains blocking the signals. Luckily, the strongest station was a PBS station and Artie was the next best thing to Richard Scarry and Franklin (and I couldn't have made a better choice!). As I got older, I've come to cherish these gems even more along with Arthur (now that more of them have been cancelled or butchered with that awful flash trash and CGI animation).

There's something for the whole family, not just for the kids (and since when was it ever just a "kid's" show, people, and why does age have to even be an issue?), and that's what sets it apart from other "kid's" shows! You know you have a GREAT "kids" show when kids can watch it and it doesn't drive older siblings and parents nuts. You know you have a GREAT "kid's" show when you catch older siblings and some adults sneak peaking it ;-) If I had kids of my own or had to babysit them, I wouldn't feel in any way shape or form like I'm watching this gem because "I'm stuck with the kids", and will be passing the season 15 down episodes to my kids from my hard drive and from my DVD collection.

LOL, I'd be asking THEM to play it and would be more than honored to watch it with them.

Adults MAKE "kid's" shows, adults ACT in them, adults PRODUCE them, ADULTS are the biggest SUPPORTERS of them BAR-NONE.

WHY is it an unpardonable sin for adults to ENJOY them??? Why the stigma??

To all those "old" biddies out there who tell us to "grow up", who think we are "abnormal" or "mentally ill" or some other pejorative like that and are dismissive: EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT, get cancer, and GO UP!! You have sucked on one too many of life's lemons and have become sour (and bitter if you also include the peel). You're too "mature" for your own good and just plain snobbish and stuck up.

That's all...moreless

The sick man of PBS Kids is on oxygen bottles.

By jake_heinz, Jan 12, 2015

As good of a run this show has/had, and as good of a show this is to pass on to kids (as others have stated, and as I would also love to do from my collection as well!), I also (AND EVEN I!) agree that they need to kibosh this show (or even better: keep it on, but have no more new seasons debuting), as it's really not getting any better and they just continue to repackage the same old plotlines, the new plotlines are lamer then ever as well, and the animation still stinks (and they still use the same crappy character models). Tell me something: if they want to continue to do this, WHY SHOULD PEOPLE CONTINUE WATCHING THE NEW SEASONS when they can watch those plotlines in the older episodes but in a better package, where EVERYTHING is better, not just the stoyline, the animation, voices, etc - EVERYTHING? The show is not improving overall, and they just care about getting something out, folks, whether it's good or not, and they see the show as a paycheck and a cash cow they can milk for every dime, and it's plainly obvious they aren't listening to anyone except sponsors, production snobs, and money-hungry bigwigs, despite the public's feedback and donations!

You guys probably thought I was just going to just give this show a one based on the title, didn't ya? I didn't want to go all out and just give this show a one because it's still good in itself and is still a hallmark of my cartoon collection for that reason, but minus the new junk. This would indeed be a ten if it wasn't for season 16-present, hence lucky number seven.moreless

My favorite show and I know it!

By schaitelh, Jan 08, 2015

This is awesome for kids. I think you can come watch this show on PBS immediately. People think it is their fan. 10 star shows carry big humor.

What used to be a fun educational show is now a big mess

By finnysohr, Dec 07, 2014

I started disliking this show since it's fourth season and it's already starting it's eighteenth season. Okay, seasons 4-8 were alright but they'll never beat the classics. I TRULY started disliking the series with season 9 when it switched studios to the Cookie Jar Group. I continued disliking it throughout seasons 9 through 15, with my dislike getting stronger every season.

But what REALLY made me downright HATE the show was season 16 and it's awful flash animation. That's what made me mad enough to write this review. Seasons 16 to present are absolutely terrible. The animation looks horrid. Arthur sounds like a girl. His voice sounded best in seasons 1-3 because the person who voice acted him in those seasons sounds his age.

Let's very briefly run down the seasons.

Seasons 1-3: 9/10 (The best seasons. Very recommended classics)

Seasons 4-8: 5/10 (Eh, they're alright. Feel free to watch them but you'll be bored mostly)

Seasons 9-11: 4/10 (Nah, don't watch. You'll fall asleep halfway through one episode)

Seasons 12-15: 3.5/10 (No. Just don't. They're extremely boring. Change the channel if you see it on)

Seasons 16-present: 0/10 (NEVER WATCH THESE ABOMINATIONS. PERIOD)

So as you can see, the show slowly degraded in quality for me. First it was good, then mediocre, then poor, then bad, and now it sucks. The characters are so annoying now. They're just trying to reference memes from the internet kids won't get. If you want good, check out Seasons 1-3. As well as a few rare shining episodes in seasons 4-8, but ignore everything else. I hope this review helped. Now for me to find something else to rip into.moreless

Alright from what I recall

By anastasia1243, Aug 30, 2014

Various ep (96-02)

I loved this show

By lootlimo, Feb 05, 2014

This show had good values, was funny, and educational. This show isn't just for kids, adults can watch it too. It went downhill starting with Season 15 and Season 16 is unwatchable now. The animation is awful and the plots are lazy written. This would get a 10 if it wasn't for Seasons 15 and 16.

Perfect for elementry school kids

By Raven77, Jan 17, 2014

Ideal idea of a young peoples show. All I am saying.

It went downhill

By Oldnickolodeon34, Dec 23, 2013

Arthur follows the life of a 3rd grader ardvark and his friends.

Arthur used to be one of the most popular and best PBS kids show. It teaches kids moralistic values and offers advice and education and the show even has a fair amount of humor. The seasons 1-10 episodes were great, the seasons 11-15 episodes were pretty good. Season 16 is poor. The format changed to flash and the episode plots are getting weaker and weaker every episode. I know there are dome cartoons that pulled off flash greatly, but Arthur is the exception, it looks terrible in flash. It seems like everyone is relying on flash for cartoons nowadays. In my opinion, I only like the older episodes of Arthur better, but I'd watch the newest ones over Barney any day. Overall rating: 8.5/10. Season 1-10: 10/10 Season 11-15: 8.4. Season 16-present: 1.5/10moreless

What a Wonderful Kind of Show!

By RyanGriffin1, Sep 29, 2013

Arthur is probably one of the classic shows anyone can remember! Great cast, great characters, great life lessons! It's amazing!

Load More Reviews