The Legend of Korra Book 3 Has a Premiere Date (and It's Less Than a Week Away)!

By Noel Kirkpatrick

Jun 21, 2014

The Legend of Korra will return for its third season on Friday, June 27, and no, that isn't a typo. The premiere date of Book 3: Change is a week from today, according to IGN. And on that day, THREE new episodes will air back-to-back-to-back, after which the show will take a week off for the July 4th holiday and return on July 11. 

You may be asking yourself, "Wait. So soon? But Nickelodeon has barely promoted it! I was expecting some big stuff at Comic-Con! That trailer you embedded above was just released last week! I've barely had time to decompress from that Season 2 finale! What gives?"

I'm only spitballin' here, but I imagine the rush to get the episodes out has everything to do with the fact that on June 7, or thereabouts, MundoNick (Nickelodeon's Spanish-language branch) accidentally leaked dubbed versions of a number of episodes from Book 3 via its website. Those episodes were, of course, torrented, .GIF'd, and fansubbed in a matter of days, if not hours. If you're part of the LoK fandom through Tumblr and such, I imagine it's been a minefield of spoilers.

In any case, that's the skinny. You pumped? Excited? Me, I'm mostly... worried. I was not a fan of Book 2's scattershot and lackluster narrative, and while that trailer is promising lots more Lin—YAY!—I am still concerned about the show getting back to being good, as are a number of others. I guess we'll find out if we can let loose a sigh of relief or a sigh of frustration next week!

Oh, and one more thing: If you've gone ahead and watched ahead or immersed yourself in .GIFs and summaries, please don't discuss or allude to anything spoilery of it in the comments. Not everyone, including me, is as dialed in as the rest of you cool kids.

• Comments (48)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • KayWatkins Jun 23, 2014

Looks like we'll FINALLY see Zuko! I'm surprised based on the ridiculous decision to break down the barrier to the spirit world that there doesn't appear to be any spirits around as friend or foes. I didn't see ANY spirits. Not that I'm complaining. Just wondering what happened. Guess we'll find out unless we're just pretending that didn't happen which again, no complaints there.

• TolaJekla Jun 23, 2014

• scbae Jun 22, 2014

Finally! I feel like it took ages to air the third season!!! Can't wait!!!

• ElRob Jun 22, 2014

Bring. It. On.

• Big_Pecks Jun 22, 2014

Wow, that was fast. The trailer looks so good so I'm excited.

• merryagain Jun 22, 2014

ok so the the trailer has me intrigue. Looking forward to The Legend of Korra Book 3 and hope Korra personality has grown up, unlike book 2 that really got me irritated and annoyed with in a lot of its episodes.
    Don't get me wrong I really like The Legend of Korra, but Avatar: The Last Airbender will always hold a special place and meaning to me and still miss the characters of that show.

• Garyness Jun 23, 2014

i couldnt even finish book 2 because I hated Korra so much. And Mako too. The characters are just too whiny, and Bolin was beyond useless and not funny. ATLA is my favorite animated series, but this new series is just saddening. You really do feel they made a female Avatar just to do it. Korra is just a complete brat throughout. Book 1 I thought was decent though.

• merryagain Jun 23, 2014

Yeah I found Korra to be really annoying and really frustrated in book 2 and you really hit it on the bending brothers as well. I just don't find any of the characters in LOK that endearing or that I'm invested in except maybe maybe Eska (I find her to be a total hoot) and Tenzin's children being funny and amusing.
    I remembered watching ATLA and finding in the beginning Sokka annoying, but grew to really like his character over time and the same with Zuko (thought he be the typical cliche villain of the show), but what a surprise. As for strong female characters in ATLA: I don't remember Katara being annoying like Korra or am I wrong? and well Toph was just the best.
    I find a lot of the characters in ATLA to be very memorable, in which I don't see yet in LOK and wish they would have injected some of Toph and Katara personality into Korra. But like I mentioned LOK is ok and will see after a few episodes of Book 3 if I will continue. The trailer do have me intrigue.

• mcepin3 Jun 22, 2014

Wasn't that Zuko in trailer? Think we gonna see some old faces,but yeah LoK could be better. Korra sucks as Avatar,not a good lead...think people like her,just because she is female character. Personally I feel as Aang should be the last Avatar we seen and if they wanna milk this,they should've done it with previous Avatars. They could do way better female Avatars than Korra.

• merryagain Jun 23, 2014

I totally agree and I'm a female viewer and yes Aang should have been the last Avatar. Lok is ok, but not in the same level as ATLA, in terms of great storytelling and great characters development in my opinion.

• CalumRobertson Jun 22, 2014

Three episodes will be all we need to see which season was the fluke.

• Writerpatrick Jun 22, 2014

It's nice to have something good to watch during the summer when all the regular shows are in hiatus.

And let's hope Hollywood doesn't decide to make a live-action movie of Korra.

• marcusj1973 Jun 21, 2014

I dunno what's going on in this trailer that I'm just seeing now for the first time...and frankly, I don't care. Giddyup!!!

• Savvytvfan91 Jun 21, 2014

What? I watched the trailer 2 days ago and was getting pumped then bummed that I would probably have to wait so long for the season, but next week? Yeah I can handle that!

• See More Comments (18)