The Legend of Korra

By anastasia1243, Feb 08, 2014

Season 1 (12-13)

A major step down from The Last Airbender, but it's still decent

By Unr3alGamer, Dec 12, 2013

This is an interesting series to be fair. The Last Airbender had major highs and lows, focusing mainly on world building. This series focuses mainly on characters. Sometimes, it works, but other times, it falls flat on its face. It clearly shows that the writers know how to properly develop a world around characters, but seem to forget how to properly establish its characters. Does that make it bad? No.

Personally, I think the animation is fantastic, and the world around the characters is beautiful, but the characters themselves range from boring to likable to outright superfluous. When it establishes drama, it doesn't grab me like it's supposed to. Season 1 is the series' strong suit so far, I just hope the quality doesn't drop any further.moreless

korra is hotheaded, but still shes amazing avatar

By thejamm, Dec 06, 2013

This season was wonderful, the backrounds, music, drama! Omg I just love the legend of korra.

Kts alittle sad that makorra is over tough.

Korra's kinda stupid, but everything else is wonderful.

By chunkbasker, Nov 16, 2013

Korra gets her ass handed too her every episode... It's hard to enjoy the main character when everytime your watching them, they're getting manipulated or dominated completely. Just when you think she's gonna be awesome, she fails miserably again.

Other then that I did enjoy the wonderfully drawn spirit world and the story of the first avatar... Just stop making Korra such an idiot and we've got ourselves a great show.

Everyone who wants Last Airbender will be disappointed. Everyone else will love TLoK.

By leonaobbrace, Nov 12, 2013

This is a different show. I even like the way they come on with the updates similar to the black and white news reels of the 40's (I think it was the 40's). It does not have the epic fight scenes like Aang fighting his cousins but it does have the drama. Much more development of the spirit world in this one, Korra seems to go into the Avatar state more often. She is older as the Avatar than Aang was when he started and it shows. So, the friends are older, having jobs, owning businesses. Therfore the carefree spirit of youth and zaniness of childhood is gone (awww). The gang is not together every minute of the day and night, which makes for a more fun campy adventure.

I think it is smart to have the series age, probably because most of the audience seems to be young adults or older. Hopefully, the movie for this one will be handled by Buffy creator Joss Whedon, who does great with female heroes. This is not The Last Airbender, it is Korra and it is good.moreless

An Unrivaled Tale Of a Strong Willed Girl...

By mirjalab, Nov 10, 2013

I never really thought i would watch this series, i am thankful that i did...

I thought it was gonna be like "Twilight" ... Far from it...

Korra is a strong willed girl, the kind that make even guys envy her. The story is fun, and many points previously left a mystery by the previously avatar series have been told in this one, over all this is a show that is better than many high budget feature

A true Master

moreless

The Fall of the Avatar

By gerdgeiling, Nov 09, 2013

The original Avatar TV-Series was incredible, and achieved what very few cartoon-shows manage to do: appeal to children and adults. Behind all the cutesy and the fun was a grown-up story that touched upon typically grown-up topics like war and death without ever losing its light-heartedness. It was a show with brains and beauty that never underestimated its audience.

I guess, its big problem was that it was not a grossing hit at first, I guess. So in the final season things felt kind of rushed, like the show was intended to last longer. Maybe it was and that was the problem.

But considering how much it stood out and how big the fanbase had grown it was only a matter of time until the world of the element-benders got another chance.

And it did: someone decided to cash in and make a live-action movie, and of course it was made by people who were unable to understand what made Avatar work the way it did.

The result was the equivalent of squeezing a couple of pounds of meat into a suit, painting a smiley-face on the head-meat and calling the result a human being. It was dreadful. Let's not talk about it.

Anyway - after this debacle, I never would have imagined that there would be another show.

So when I first heard the news of a new Avatar-series I was thrilled but understandably - Mr. Shyamalans joke of an adaptation still in mind - skeptical.

And then there it was: Legend of Korra.

It was a bold move to advance time and thus cutting ties with it's predecessor like this, but after only a few episodes it became clear that "Legend of Korra" was the next logical step in an expanded universe and a worthy sequel which respected predecessor while standing on its own two legs.

The show seemed more grown-up now, with it's older main-cast and the sleazy urban flair of Republic City.

And as the story about the Equalists unfolded I became hooked again, eagerly awaiting each next episode up to the conclusion of its first arc in episode 12. I was pleased with the show, because while I felt that it had not reached the heights of its predecessor I saw a lot of potential.

And then the second half of the season started. And it might just as well be another season, because everything has changed - and nothing for the better.

As always when big business picks up on a trend, and tries to turn it into a "franchise" - the

result tends to be something soulless that might look like the original but is nowhere near as good.

Somewhere along that process the "whatever" loses everything that was great about it.

And I guess that's what's happened.

Maybe it's because most fans of the original Avatar series are still too glad about the shows return that they turn a blind eye to what is happening - maybe it's because of the mainstream audience (the same people on whose "authority" networks decide to cancel shows like Alphas, Boss or Deadwood)

- noone has noticed it yet: but the show that the Avatar-fans fell in love with ended June 2012.

After what I've seen over the past couple of weeks I can't help but think it might have been better if Avatar:TLA had stayed the only entry. Yes, it's that bad.

The second half of the new Avatar is a mess of mythological nonsense, character simplification and overall dumbing down.

Bringing old myths and spirits to life might have worked in a prequel... maybe ... if handled well.

In the culturally and scientifically advanced world of post-Aang Avatar it's completely out of place.

But it doesn't stop there.

While the old writing handled humour in the right doses and romance and drama with subtelty, I barely even recognize Korra and her friends anymore. At this point they are caricatures of their former selves.

I don't want to go into too much detail here, because it's just not worth it, but all the clichs that plague most of the shows aimed at teens and young adults have turned up, ruining any and every previous character development. Boleyn might be the most apparent victim: he is almost unbearable and belongs to the already too long list of comic relief characters noone can take serious anymore.

Also, there are villains now. Yes, the original Avatar had dislikable characters, too. But they never were flat out EVIL. And the bad things that were being done were never seemed to be done out of sheer plot necessity. Now every plot point feels contrived which is a huge detriment to the fictional world: It doesn't live, it doesn't breathe.

The cherry on top of this cake of disappointment are the moments when the show makes the original look bad (poor Iroh).

And maybe that's just me, but has the animation always looked as cheap as it does now?

So: Do I think Korra has turned into the worst show ever? No. It's still easily on par with all non-comedy-cartoons out there. But considering where it came from - it is almost painful to watch now.

I don't know if the show has a new creative team or of management stepped in - but I for one cannot stand to watch the show any longer.moreless

One of the best shows ever

By ShinySkyShaymin1994, Nov 07, 2013

Whats not to like about LOK Korra connected with the very first Avatar We got to see his story on becoming the first Avatar. Korra seems to be Strong Willed Stubborn and at times reckless but hey I like that if its on TV in real life not so much but Korra knowing 3 of the elements at such a young age how old was she 3? 4 max and her first line in rthe very beginning of the series made me LOL the only downside is that Book 1 and 2 had a year and 3 month gap from airing Book 1 ended June 23rd 2012 if I recall and Book 2 started Sept 14th 2013 Dont get me wrong I like aiting at times but to a certain extent afterwards it gets annoying just waiting and waiting but hey I love the series waiting for the next episode A Spiritual Age to air in 2 days so I am very excitedmoreless

The legend of korra review

By yoyorey2025, Nov 05, 2013

Its a good continuing of the first show avatar: the last airbender, hope they keep up bringing in new episodes

Beginnings 1 & 2

By omeboy487, Oct 29, 2013

Beginnings, parts 1 & 2, really brings you back to Avatar: The Last Airbender. I'm posting this here, rather than under the episode review, because I think it's a two-parter most ATLA fans would enjoy. The story is intriguing, to say the least, because it brings the audience back to the dawn of the avatar. Also, it seems that anything set in the past makes for a more epic tale, at least for me anyway. I know Korra's generation is also just now emerging with technological advancements, but what made ATLA and Beginnings hit home for me was that they took place in "simpler", humbler times, where civilization was less advanced. It not only makes for better story telling in terms of being more fantastical/surreal, but is also more astounding when it comes to teaching profound life lessons and principles under less convoluted conditions. Following the story of Korra up till now seems so suffocating and cluttered, but I guess that it comes with having a larger "team avatar", more technological advancements, and rushed introductions/developments of so many characters (as opposed to ATLA with mostly 3 main characters initially, then later slowly reeling in strong/fun personalities). I don't know if I should expect more out of Korra's tale, but if the writing/story continues to be as well done as it's been in these past two episodes, then I will definitely stay on the Korra bandwagon for the rest of the ride.moreless

Load More Reviews