Pilot

Episode Reviews (22)

Great

Unlikeable characters and not funny.

By OrsonWright, Apr 01, 2011

I mainly watched because I liked the two main actors from their previous shows Frasier and Everybody Loves Raymond. They both have great comic timing, but neither character was likeable here at all, which meant that the entire daughter storyline did not work. None of the supporting characters were funny or likeable. I didn't find the weather girl as bad as most of the reviews I've read.

Being a sitcom, it did not help that there were very little laughs in the episode... I think there were only two or three slightly amusing moments that didn't generate an out-loud laugh.moreless

Great

By 3trinitron, Sep 30, 2009

List of Episodes (8)Season:Episode Title Runtime Air Date User Rating Queue Season 1 8 Cradle to Grave 21:43 02/26/2008 7 Something's Up There 21:37 11/14/2007 6 Gracie's Bully 21:43 11/07/2007 5 A Night of Possibilities 21:31 10/17/2007 4 A Gentleman Always Leads 20:55 10/10/2007 3 The First Supper 21:44 10/03/2007 2 Fish Story 21:56 09/26/2007 1 Pilot 22:53 09/19/2007 List of Clips (12)Season:Episode Title Type Runtime Air Date User Rating Queue 1 : 10 Airzookas! Current Preview 00:50 - 1 : 10 This Is Weird Current Preview 00:47 - - Perfect Anchorwoman Hair Interview 01:28 - - I Have a Weird Polish Name Interview 01:41 - - Anchors are Getting Younger All the Time Interview 01:01 - - Chuck Versus Frasier Interview 01:05 - - Interview - Patricia and Kelsey Big W... Interview 00:47 - - Fred Willard's Take on Marsh McGinley Interview 01:10 - - Interview - Patricia Heaton Interview 01:24 - - Interview - Kelsey and Patricia on Ego Interview 00:23 - - Fred Willard Interview Interview 00:29 - - Interview - Kelsey Grammer Interview 00:47 - For insider news, photos, and more visit the official Back To You websitemoreless

An okay opener for Grammer and Heaton's new comedy vehicle

By VictorofDibling, Jun 12, 2008

Having watched this after finding out the show's future was in jeopardy, I sort of see why.

Obviously it's hard for a new show to establish characters and be extremely funny, but this was leanign more towards the former.

The jokes weren't to the best and to have seen Kelsey and Patricia in very funny series before ("Frasier" and "Everybody Loves Raymond", respectively) I found this sometimes hard to watch. It was like watching an average crossover episode.

Also, with Chuck and Kelly having slept together, it was an easy guess to say that Kelly's daughter was Chuck's. I guess every show needs some sort of story arc, even if it is as weak as this.

I probably will watch the next one, just to see if there's any improvement!moreless

Kelly's life is fine until her old co-worker comes back and returns to his old ways.

By Collegebound06, Apr 07, 2008

ok, so this ep was a little slow getting going but i actually liked it when he came back..the first part was just ok yay a new guy coming to work, well not really a new guy, an old colleague returning, but u get what im saying..anyways we dont know why some people are excited and one in particular isnt..its funny when they start working together again and he returns to his ways trying to take over and shes trying to prevent him from doing so..i like producer..hes very funny...they did a good job of getting interest especially tying in drama and comedymoreless

How can u not like it?

By captaindillo, Feb 28, 2008

I first watched this with high expectations as Frasier and Everybody Loves Raymond stars would be in it and the creator of Just Shoot Me! would be one of the writers, and I have to say my expectations were filled.

This is a very clever pilot to a very clever series. Though I am not enjoying sitcoms lately this really delivered, with likeable characters, funny jokes, a well-thought-out plot and some reall nice formatting, I really love the show.

Despite the fact that it may only last one season, I think this will definately develop a strong fan base. Great Pilot .moreless

I think this show has some promise, they just gotta get good storylines.

By kyubisharingan8, Sep 29, 2007

This show is about Chuck Darling(Kelsey Grammar) moving back to Pittsburguh to work on his previous station job as anchorman, the job he quit 10 years ago... After a bad acciedental on-air incident, Chuck gets fired from his job as anchorman in L.A., and starts working with his previous and now current co-anchor, Kelly Carr.(Patricia Heaton)Chuck soon discovers that over the 10 years he was gone, Kelly had a daughter named Gracie, got married, but then got divorced. It turns out that Kelly had Gracie just around the time Chuck left, and slept with her! Chuck finds out that he is Gracie's father, and her ex-husband isn't. I think they can do good if they come up with great plots, and keep it going a couple seasons. Who knows? Maybe the writers will decide that Chuck and Kelly should hook up:0)moreless

frasier is back i think?

By pantera_rosso, Sep 24, 2007

grammar plays another highbrow,arrogant personality, heaton is a woman with a sharp tongue (roz?) there is an older useless guy (dad 2.0) and even some nervous guys,yep even the brother is there in 2.0

ayla field must be dreaming of studio 60 as in this show she is cast as a glorified pair of breasts, still she and ty burell get some of the best lines and have some chemistry, something the leads still lack

fred willard is not funny on leno and is even less funny here and josh gad grates on your nerves

laura marano is a breath of fresh air, young but with comic timing,impressivemoreless

This Just In....It's Not That Bad!

By Barrybgb, Sep 22, 2007

Sitcoms, especially traditional sitcoms in front of a live audience, have become almost extinct nowadays. They've had interesting rides thru the years of television. They were the hot thing on the tube, then they weren't, then they were again and so on. They seem to be a dying breed. Oh sure, there are still some that litter the landscape of television, but mostly nobody watches them or cares all that much. Most of them are truly awful as well. Comedies nowadays are audience-less, and shot like movies(The Office, My Name Is Earl, etc.) and they are brilliant. It seems to be getting harder and harder to make a really good, quality sitcom today that is funny. One that you have to see every week. The end of "Everybody Loves Raymond" was, to me, the final nail in the coffin for that. And so now comes along "Back To You". Sadly, it doesn't exactly get the old classic sitcom back. But there is good news. I see a lot of potential here. I didn't think Back To You delivered as well as it could have in it's debut episode, but I saw a lot of room for improvement that I don't think is out of the question for the show to acheive. Not at all. With the people it has in front and behind the cameras, how could it not?. I don't normally write reviews for half hour shows, but I felt compelled to write one for this show for some reason. Anyways, let's dig in....

Kelsey Grammer plays Chuck Darling, and Patricia Heaton plays Kelly Carr. The two of them were co-anchors on a local news show for years. Chuck leaves the station and goes on to bigger and better things in a couple of other stations around the country. He has an incident on air and is abruptly fired. So, he returns to his old stomping grounds and co-workers, and Kelly is not all that happy. The two have a past and don't get along all that well. At first, it appears that Kelly may be a tad jealous that he waltzes back in after she had made the place hers and was the top dog for the last 10 years. As the episode progresses, we learn that there may be more to her attitude towards him than we originally thought.

So, the first half of the episode was setting everything up. The station, the characters, and the relationship between Chuck and Kelly. This was also the weakest part of the whole episode. It felt a little frenetic for it's own good. I am sure news rooms are busy and hectic, but it doesn't always make for good television. There was just a bit of too much rushing here and there. Thankfully, things slow down in the second half and get a lot better. What was also weak about this first part were the supporting characters that fill up the news room. All of them typical people we have seen again and again. We have the hot, sexy weather girl and her come hither stares and sexual innuendo. There's not much water left to drain from that well, I'm afraid. Then there is the news producer Ryan, who I think is the news producer. There was a lot going on. He was the young kid going this way and that way, sweating, and trying to keep everything going. Been there, seen that. There is also the "man about town" reporter, who desperatley wants to get off the streets and be an actual anchor on the news broadcast. Seen that a few times before too. Not surprisingly, the best part of this bunch is Fred Willard, as the sports guy. Willard is a god and a genius in my book. He can make anything work and funny. It's about time he got on a regular show as a regular cast member. Willard is great with improv, so hopefully they will let him run free here and there and do what he does best. Best In Show, anyone?. So that's that.

We now come to Heaton and Grammer. You are not going to find classier, more utmost professionals than these two. There is a reason they are multiple Emmy winners. They have good chemistry together, and work off of each other wonderfully. Some of their jabs at each other were truly funny, but it is evident that it can get old pretty fast. Heaton's "preening gas bag" comment still gets me. Her role and performance doesn't seem to be too far off from her role on Raymond. That's a good thing because she was a master at it on that show, and she is bringing that to this one. Grammer is great too. There isn't much of Frasier here at all. I think the two really get to get into the good stuff in the second half of the episode when Grammer learns that the two of them share a child. That storyline can grow to something interesting and involving, if the writers care enough about it.

In the end, Back To You doesn't re-invent the wheel in any way. I enjoyed it enough, and think there is room here to grow, find more of itself, and get better. The second half proves that they are halfway there. The news room and the supporting characters are what needs the most work. Fix some of these things up, and Back To You could really end up being something worth checking out every week.moreless

Give it time.

By D-LinkUK, Sep 22, 2007

I think a lot of people were expecting too much from this pilot episode of Back To You, two well known sitcom stars together Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton, the problem is most people remember them as Dr Frasier Crane and Debra Barone, even myself was half expecting Niles or Ray to pop up from somewhere but we have to move on and Back To You looks a good comedy.

Naturally the lead is Anchorman Chuck darling played by Kelsey who left Pittsburgh for bigger and better things but after nearly 10 years is back with his ex co-anchor Kelly Carr ( Patricia ) at his old desk at WURG, she is less than please to see him back unlike the sports anchor Marsh McGinley played by Fred Willard who welcomes back Chuck with open arms.

All in all it looks a good sitcom, just give it time.moreless

Full of sexual jokes because they aren't clever enough to come up with anything else, the same couple of gags done ad nauseam in the pilot, and unlikable characters.

By aliasfreak7, Sep 22, 2007

Even the little plot development halfway through couldn't hold my interest. When I heard these two were doing a series together, I thought that there was no way it could go awry. Sadly, it did. It is full of sexual jokes because they aren't clever enough to come up with anything else, the same couple of gags done ad nauseam in the pilot, and unlikable characters. I am sad to say that I can't find any redeeming quality about this series. If you enjoy intelligent humor and clever writing, avoid this. If you enjoy the humor of 'Til Death, this may be right up your alley.moreless

Load More Reviews