Bakersfield, P.D.

Show Reviews (3)

Fair
6.7

Quirky and catchy comedy that had both subtle and overt humor injected into it.

By hcbuck, Oct 04, 2006

I first watched this because of my love for Ron Eldard, but it quickly became apparent that this was a show that needed to be viewed. I loved Giancarlo Esposito's uptight and out-of-place Gigante as he attempted to have his family settle in at Bakersfield. But the reasons that he's feeling out of place have more to do with him being such a straight-arrow than anything else.

Ron Eldard surprised me when I realized that his character was almost hippie-like and had a child-like nature. And the glee over having Gigante as a partner was, dare I say, adorable. He did his best to get along with his partner - who worked better alone - and even though they moved out of sync throughout the show, there was still a syncopated rhythm in their rhythmless dance.

Fox, of course, did what they normally do with shows that have potential. They shuffled it around until people couldn't find it on their televisions week after week. Bakersfield PD was never really given a chance and truth be told, it truly deserved one.moreless

Great writing, great acting, great concept and full of such subtly wonderful nuances that each ep just gets better with each repeated viewing.

By WadePreston, Jul 13, 2005

It's a quirky drama. It's a comedy. It's a floor wax. It's a dessert topping...OK- it's both.

I guess you just can't have a single camera comedy, shot on location, and presented sans laugh track- and expect it to go far. But, oh how I had hoped.

Everything about Bakersfield PD was 'just right'. The characters were broadly drawn as archetypes, but not so much so that they didn't also ring true as people. The jabs at small town police work were also balanced with some true professionalism. There is a genuine sense of affection here by the creators of the show towards the characters and the town, all the while doing a bit of a parody.

Each show also had some genuinely

memorable 'moments'- the work of great writing for sure, but mostly due to some exceptional acting. These guys were always in the moment- reacting to what was going on around them, rather than just reciting lines- and the camera always seemed to be in the right spot to capture something special.

I don't think it's an easy thing to get the tone correct on a show like this, but Bakersfield PD had it from the beginning. I guess it is a good thing that they just laid it to rest rather than tinker with the concept. At least we can appreciate what we have.moreless