Banacek

Good
7.6

Top notch show for TV

By bf5113, Jan 01, 2011

If you ignore the sexist attitude of the main character, the mysteries themselves are great. Every theft could be done in real life, no need to suspend reality as you work your way through the mysterious theft. Loved the theft of the "kings" from the hotel room safe. Never saw the extra hotel towel in the bathroom coming. Wish the show had continued past 1974 as we'd have more interesting mysteries to watch and re-watch and enjoy the imagination that went into them. To CAPNDEL - If you disliked the show so much, you should at the very least give reasons why you disliked it.moreless

not that good

By CAPNDEL, Sep 19, 2010

this show was not that good even by the standards of 1973. i remember seeing it in re runs. it was just another action crime drama. i never liked george peppard even in the a team. which was a crap show too in my opinion. it was sad that he died before his time though.

Very much of it's time (i.e. sexist) - otherwise pretty good.

By kyravon, Mar 10, 2008

A debonair millionaire detective (sort of a James Bond/Thomas Crown Affair mix) solves crimes in the early '70's.

It's a little hard to watch since it's very much of it's time.

But if you can ignore the sexism, the plots are still pretty interesting. I've only seen two episodes, but so far the mysteries have been pretty interesting.

The "polish pride" thing going on and the Polish aphorims he quotes (are those real by the way??) are in interesting character quirk. This show aired before I was even born, but I'd be curious to know if Boston was as 'anti-pole' as it's portrayed (I don't recall that being an especially despised ethnicity - yes, I've heard of Pole jokes, but still...).moreless

One of the few prime-time mystery shows to almost exclusively focus on "locked-room mysteries."

By jamoon2006, Nov 28, 2007

Aside from its Polish and proverb-spouting sleuth, "Banacek" set itself apart from the rest of the 1970s detective shows by the type of crimes it featured. While other TV gumshoes were tackling murders, "Banacek" looked at thefts, disappearances, and almost always solved what are known as "locked-room mysteries." On "Banacek," it's sometimes just as important to figure out how the crime was committed as it is to identify the guilty culprit. It's more intellectual than the average show ("McMillan & Wife," etc.) and shares more of a pedigree with "Columbo" than it does a lot of other shows.

Case in point - "Let's Hear It for a Living Legend," in which a football player vanishes from under a tackle in the middle of a game. Not only must Banacek find the missing man, but he's got to discover how a man can vanish into thin air before a full stadium and TV cameras.

The caliber of acting among the guest stars is pretty typical for the 1970s, but George Peppard doesn't measure up to fellow sleuths Peter Falk and James Garner, in my opinion. That could be because the writing is not supporting him, but I think it is his characterization. Banacek isn't an easy guy to like; even when Rockford is conning his way through a case, you love the guy. Peppard wore out his welcome for me.

Still, an entertaining mystery series that offers some cases and crimes to crack that are unlike other shows of the era. I'd definitely recommend "Banacek" to mystery fans, but it's not in the same class as "Columbo."moreless

A classic but...a little ahead of its time....

By pounder19r, Jul 04, 2007

Banacek was a very under-rated show that NBC should have done more with. Banacek/ George Peppard was a very classy guy who liked fine things and beautiful women. I was in 6th-8th grade when Banacek ran on NBC so I don't remember every episode or the reasons NBC pulled this show. However, NBC should have put Banacek on Sunday nights with McCloud, McMillian & Wife and Columbo. NBC had a Hit!! with the Sunday Mystery Movies and then went and tried the formula for other nights (Friday and Wednesday). Banacek was on Wednesday Nights with Cool Million (5 episodes) and Madigan (6 episodes), not really a lot of help to any series. What NBC should have done is give Columbo its very own time slot and put Banacek in its place. Banacek was set in Boston and he drove fancy cars, had a quick wit (with suspects, women and police etc) and had lots of pretty girlfriends....one every episode and thats where I think its a little ahead of its time. While the 70's shows weren't like 50's shows like Leave it to Beaver....a married couple having sperate beds. For Instance Columbo was married but you never saw his wife, McMillian & Wife...hint "wife" and Susan Saint James and Rock Hudson were seen in bed but nothing more than a kiss on the check or a little peck on the mouth....not to much passion there LOL....and McCloud had a steady girl (Diana Muldaur). While Banacek met up with a beautiful girl every episode. This show ran from 1972-74 and that might have been too early for viewers and/or advertisers. Banacek would have been a huge hit in the late 70's, 80's and also in the 2000's with good stories, good writing and lots of guest stars. After watching season 1 on DVD...Banacek for the present day....another George as in George Clooney as Banacek and you've got a huge hitmoreless

George Peppard plays a Polish detective in Boston.

By reneeisxena, Jun 24, 2005

Most of the episodes were pretty much the same. Something of great value dissapeared, usually in front of several witnesses, and only Banacek could figure out how and recover the item. There wasn't too much violence. I don't recall Banacek carrying a gun. Of course, Banacek got the girls too.