Colonial Day

Episode Reviews (16)

Great

Colonial Day

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 14, 2012

Colonial Day was another excellent episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of political intrigue as Tom Zarek was nominated for Vice President and President Roslin was able to get Baltar nominated and it was fun to watch how things played out. The scenes were very character driven and intense. The drama and characters are so enchanting and make the show irresistible to watch. I look forward to seeing what happens in the next episode!!!!!!!!!moreless

The One Where: They all enjoy a dance! (Politcally and literally.)

By MovieMark, Oct 06, 2011

It was fun seeing all of the regular cast get all dolled up just before the end credits. A nice change of pace from their overused dreary robots-are-trying-to-kill-us-we-can't-sleep look. Something tells me that the small celebration was very much a glammed up calm before a very big storm. And speaking of changes in scenery, the concept of Cloud Nine is a neat one. Have we heard of it before now? You'd think the pilots (and everyone else) would be hitting up the place for some much needed fake-sun tanning every other day.

Not a lot actually happens here overall. What you need to take away from this episode is that Helo finally knows that Sharon is a cylon, and, during an odd turn of events, Gaius is now the vice-president. Two pretty hefty shifts in the narrative, wouldn't you say? They're clearly being set-up for the finale, so there's very little screen-time allowed for us to process such huge changes.

The pace is glacial even for this show. With a lot of political jargon thrown at us in quick succession. There's one small scrap involving Starbuck and Apollo, but that's about it on the action front. Long, arousing speeches are what's in store with this hour. I did kind of zone out here and there.

No fraks, one guy killed himself, head-Six and two cap six's, suggested murder, and Sharon wins here.

Not the best BSG has to offer, but far from the worst.moreless

Layers of intrigue make for a compelling episode

By SebastianHaff, Jun 13, 2011

This episode is for the most part very well executed, and offers lots of things to enjoy.

Zarek is back, and thankfully way better utilized than earlier in the season. Here he gets more compelling dialog, and he makes some valid points. But it's interesting watching the shades of gray in terms of right and wrong in this episode.

Various characters hate Zarek for being a terrorist, and write him off purely on that. But many of their actions are questionable: torture, turning off the radio (to silence a political figure) and starting a fight, and of course Roslin asking for Zarek to be bugged. Roslin's close relationship with the military leader and quite clear statements about who she would or wouldn't have as her vice-president all show the nastier side of these people, and give Zarek's words some weight. Ellen makes her second appearance, and starts to show that her main aim is to protect her and her husband. She's less bound by strong beliefs, and much more adaptable to the situation at hand. People will write her off as a drunken tart, but they could do well with learning from her to drop some of the old ways and preconceptions.

It's great to see Baltar's arc continue. His in-head Six has definitely been building this up over a number of episodes and making him believe in himself. When she made him second the request for a vice president, it paved the way for his rise to power. Another step on the story of Baltar.

Also other noteworthy things: it's interesting to see Cloud Nine for a change of location, and the ending where Helo discovers the truth about Sharon is a gem.

There were a couple of things I didn't like about the episode though. The whole assassination subplot felt bolted on to the episode, and didn't really go anywhere. My other problem is a bigger one, and is a problem with BSG in general but I started to really first notice it in this episode. That is the fact that the writers don't stop to think more often that these people are not from Earth. Too often the show does things that are very American. The news reporters' style for example was played as very American -- there doesn't seem to be an effort to make them at all different. Also very Earth-like dialog comes into play, like Roslin mentions a "goon squad". All in all, with the exception of the assassination plot, this was a well crafted and interesting episode. Definitely one of the gems of season one.moreless

"I'm glad that we got to see the return of Tom Zarek." SPOILERS

By tiewashere, Jun 13, 2011

I'm glad that we got to see the return of Tom Zarek. I wonder if we'll see him again after this. I enjoyed seeing a luxury liner and what it is like in the show. It was kind of interesting how they created faux weather and stuff. The most interesting part about the episode is that Six practically forces Baltar to second the idea of a Vice President. Why? I wonder how this will play into the cylon's plan. Who killed Valence? I guess that's the most pronounced question of the episode. I hope it's answered. Baltar is the new Vice President. Was this part of Six's plan? Something that kind of struck me was when Helo ran away. He doesn't seem like the type, especially in this situation, to run away from something...anything. Boomer 2 obviously shot the other Boomer and never tried to hurt him. So why, even as she is calling after him, run away? I guess he thinks she could trick him but it's slim if he put the recent events together. I'm interested to see how this plays out. 8/10moreless

Winds of change.

By kickdoor, Nov 11, 2010

Most of the episode wasn't bad, but there was one scene that stood out in a very negative way. The interrogation of Valence by Apollo and Starbuck was just awful in my opinion. The writing and Apollo's acting were way, way over the top. Intimidation is one thing, but even with the gun in his hand I probably couldn't have helped but laugh in Apollo's face if I was in Valence's shoes.

The rest of the main plot was okay, but it didn't really enthrall me. Maybe because Roslin was at the center of it and I just haven't developed any love for her character.

I did enjoy the final scene on Caprica however when Helo finally puts all the pieces together after seeing another copy of Sharon. The copy bleeding out after Sharon shoots her made for a great shot, especially with that eerie blue tinged lighting.

One good scene, one really bad scene, and the rest was okay but it just didn't grab me.moreless

“What’s the use of a good quotation if you can’t change it?”

By scuttlecliff, Nov 11, 2010

Ah...The West Wing. A show that could take even the most inane and tedious part of legistratian and turn it into something fun and witty. Of course that was before Aaron Sorkin left. Before the show came to rely on terrorists, kidnappings, wars and Mathew Perry. Before the show suffered a 90% drop in witty dialogue and fantastic verbal exchanges. Now The West Wing is a show with a talented cast who are just going through the motions in stories that are not better than your average day in parliament. Much like this week's episode of Battlestar Galactica. After five minutes I was as board as Baltar only unlike Baltar there where no pretty blond reporters going commando where I was.

Politics, unless written by Aaron Sorkin or, makes for boring drama and that is what we had with this episode lots and lots of people talking about the politics of the fleet and such which unfortunately is never that dramatic or thrilling. Did I give a toss who became the new Vice-President? No I was more interested in knowing how Baltar can be chosen as the representative of his colony without his knowledge or consent. Is the thing of twelve like a national service, you have to do it no mater what.

Meanwhile back on that utopia of originality Caprica Helo and Boomer are getting ready to break into a Cylon air base and steal a ship and get off planet. Halo has finally realised that there are Human Cylons while Boomer tries to argue that since they look human they might also have emotions and feelings. She might as well have a sight that reads "I am a very cute Cylon" on her head. But even if she did I doubt he would notice.

I got to admit I love the fact the there was no last minute stop the assassin before he strikes conclusion to the story. The fact that the attempted assassins were caught early on came as both a nice surprise and proof that all the good hired killers died out with the rest of humanity.

Good Bits

-Boomer. Whether on rainy Caprica or dancing with Gaeta she is still cute.

-Baltar. Why is it all his best scenes take place in the men's room.

-Helo finally realising what the grey thing between his ears is for.

-Apollo smashing the bottle on that guy's head for no reason. It always good to see the good guys doing something nasty.

-Starbuck. She scrubs up well.

-Ellen Tigh, Cylon or not, is a total power hungry slut.

-Everybody got to have some fun for once.

Bad Bits

-Unless written by Aaron Sorkin, shows about politics are never that interesting. Even Baltar was board.

-Has no one noticed they just elected a man who clearly has some mental health problems?

-Introducing new character this late in the game is always a bad idea.

-Tom Zarak. Less Nelson Madeela, more George W. Bush, slogans, buzzwords and all.moreless

A group of Colonial representatives meet on Cloud Nine with President Roslin to determine a Vice President. Tom Zarek immediately gets nominated, and Roslin must work quickly to make sure a terrorist does not become second in command.

By benboy606, May 19, 2010

This episode is very interesting; I've always been a fan of the political side of Galactica. It was extremely well written, some funny Baltar moments, some great moments at the end, but overall, it was plotted horribly. Who was Roslin's right-hand man, the guy she could always count on? Eh, I don't know, some guy we've never met. We've been following Roslin's story, how do we not know this man!? Seriously!? The whole assassination story was not all that interesting to me. I mean, I get it; Zarek's bad. We didn't need that little subplot. The whole Roslin, Zarek, Baltar, other Colonies feud was much more interesting, in my opinion. And, are we led to believe that Ellen actually killed that man? I don't believe she would; but what else is there to believe? The end with Roslin not announcing the tie-break vote was awesome, and then her just announcing the vice president? Wonderful. The end little party was an excellent coda to the episode. The cliffhanger was also very good, the Caprica story has hit it's stride.

A very good, interesting episode, but boring, senseless subplots and random character actions and just random characters appearing and disappearing pissed me off. 6/10 or a C+. Just a very OKAY episode, nearing good :)moreless

Dangerous game of politics..

By Parricida, May 19, 2010

I like this episode - they have been dealing with military thing and now it is back on the president and that intriguing char Zarek - it is just interesting how they make those bad chars here so intriquing.

I like the assassin storyline and the thing we never know - what was the original plan. Was Zarek to kill president?

And I like the least evil president chose - to have Gaius has vice president.. it was fascinating turn and I can only imagine what he and mostly number six will do.

And the story development in the end on Carpia... wow..moreless

By Dante_Edy, Aug 31, 2009

***This review details –» this is a "I" perspective, based in what I like and recognize to be good or interesting, this is not a "god" where the guy thinks what he thinks is the true or the "you" perspective where I know what you will like and what you don´t.***

If there is anything I don´t like to see mentioned in any TV shows is politician, only 24 changed my mind about because some of the drama constructed and some of the conspiracy. Besides that, I hate politics, because it is boring and then, this show began with that idea, and I thought "I think I'm gone sleep". But of course, there are exceptions, and this episode proved to be interesting over the course.

Helo makes an interesting theory that seems correct and his story finally starts with the payoffs.

Presentation Phase - » (5/10) didn´t seem interesting, Complication Phase - » (7/10) contrary to what I expected the nominations were interesting was less interesting,

Climax Phase - » (6/10) it´s about politics,

Ending - » (8/10) Helo closure was more interesting,

Details/Progress (To point A to B) -» (18/20) two status updates were made,

Time and Scene Management - » (14/20) this episodes works well as distraction,

Plot Details/Holes- » (20/20) Fine,

Even with the introduction of politics, this episode managed to be entertaining.moreless

By my1sunshine, Jun 27, 2008

This episode has several interesting developments. The Colonials have finally gotten around to building back up an interim Quorum of The Twelve. Tom Zarek is back, out of prison, and elected one of them. And surprise, so has Baltar! On Colonial Day, anniversary of the founding of the Twelve Colonies, the first official meeting of the Quorum is underway... under intense scrutiny. Lee is intent on catching Zarek doing some piece of dirty work or another. There is a great street fight type of brawl between Lee, Kara and a few thugs, who may..or may not work for Zarek. Zarek, ever the strategist , brings up a very valid point, which is that a Vice President needs to be elected in case something should happen to Laura, and is immediately nominated. Ummm.. yeah , not good. Laura has her own choice, but when she sees Baltar giving a very charismatic interview, she decides to oust her friend in favor of Gaius, in spite of what she thinks of both personally. Ellen spends her time flirting with Zarek in her own special way. Zarek asks her as a special favor, to check on a friend of his in detention...Vallence, one of the thugs Lee aprehended and interrogated. Shortly thereafter, that man is killed in his cell, in spite of guards being there. Zarek is obviously suspected. Baltar is elected by a narrow margin, and Tom tells Laura that he didn't kill Vallance. Meanwhile, on Caprica.. Sharon and helo are about to steal a ship. helo is obsessed with the model Six he saw, and suspects the truth...that there are human model Cylons. The pair split up to make their move, but shortly before they do...Helo sees another Sharon..and two plus two equals four. His Sharon immediately shoots her twin.. but Helo freaks, and bolts away as fast as he can. Richard Hatch seems to love playing Zarek, the slimy plotting, but very smart terrorist prisoner turned politician. What is Ellen Tigh's real agenda, and did she kill Vallence for Tom? This is a mystery that has never been answered..yet. Gaius is finally given something new to do rather then talk to and frak his virtual love goddess, or test blood samples. After his initial resisitance, he slips right into the political role, and seems to relish in it.. but as in everything Baltar does... purely for his own selfish purposes. This is the second time we see Roslin's cold side...although not as drastic as killing a Cylon...her decision to oust her close friend out of the Vice candidate position, is a sad one, and it hurts her...but it is a very cold and calculating decision nevertheless. She is willing to substitute and use a man she clearly does not even like for her own abitions. The celebration is a joyous scene. From the big band music.. to Adama practically sweeping laura off her feet, and onto the dance floor. And how about Kara, and that killer Va-va-vamp, to the nines, dressed to kill look? Look closely, kiddies. One time...one time only! You won't see that happen again. She dances with Lee.. then Gaius cuts in. Someone should warn him about Kara and booze. Boor baltar. Then... Helo finds out the truth. He has fallen for a Cylon. He has been played..duped.. and it scares the hell out of him... and he doesn't even know about the bun in the toaster. Wait till the morning after.moreless

Load More Reviews