Frak! There's a New Battlestar Galactica Movie on the Way

By Kaitlin Thomas

Apr 08, 2014

The Battlestar Galactica franchise is getting yet another chance at life, according to Variety. The newest incarnation of the sci-fi drama will take the form of a feature film written by Jack Paglen (Transcendence) and produced by original series creator Glen Larson; it will apparently serve as a "complete re-imagining" of the BSG story. 

The original Battlestar series aired during the 1978-1979 TV season and was a kitschy space drama starring Lorne Greene, Dirk Benedict, and Richard Hatch. Hatch later starred in the contemporary re-imagining of the series from Ronald D. Moore and David Eick that aired for four seasons on Syfy between 2004 and 2009. Getting its start as a miniseries that aired on the network in 2003, the Syfy version of BSG starred Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, Katee Sackhoff, Tricia Helfer, Michael Hogan, James Callis, and Jamie Bamber and explored the lives of the survivors of a nuclear attack by the Cylons, cybernetic creatures invented by man who evolved and eventually rebelled against their creators. The show eventually became one of the most critically adored series of the aughts as it tackled the subjects of science, religion, politics, and the deeply complicated notion of what makes us human. 

Moore and Eick's Battlestar Galactica ultimately spawned the prequel spin-off Caprica, which was canceled after one season, the prequel web series Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome, and two TV movies, Razor and The Plan. But the newest project to resurrect the franchise will not be an extension of the world created by Moore and Eick, but yet another re-imagining of the story. Which begs the question: Do we need another version of Battlestar Galactica? How many times can this story be retold? 

I could make an argument for this film if it were being produced in 2009, soon after the series finale (there was a rumor back then that Bryan Singer was attached to direct such a project) or if existed in the same universe as the 2004 series. The BSG finale that aired in 2009 raised quite a few questions that I'd like to get some definite answers on, and there were plenty of interesting characters who probably deserved more screen time, but this feels like another Hollywood attempt to bleed every last ounce of originality and inspiration from an interesting concept until it looks as barren as the Earth where the remnants of Kara's charred viper were found. 

But since Larson and Paglen didn't consult me on this, if this movie gets off the ground, what would you like to see happen? What would you change this time around? Do you think characters like Apollo and Starbuck will—or should—be featured, or would you prefer to see a new cast of characters? Sound off in the comments!

thekaitling:list:do-you-want-another-version-of-battlestar-galactica/

• Comments (176)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • RomFronimides Oct 12, 2014

I'm 44 years old and of course I was a fan of the original first "BSG" tv series, back then in the 80's. It was a time with short special effects (in tv) and this program was amazing - at that time. I really enjoyed it and became "part" of the "BSG" saga...

...but to be honest, I TRULY LOVED the new re-make of the tv series between 2004 & 2009! I think they've got the "BSG" and the Cylons/Humans conflict so amazing, exactly as I was thinking (as child) back in 80s!
    And to be more honest, as "Hellin" (Greek) and fan of Erich von Daniken's theory about how may the humanity started (from "Outer Space Gods"), I think this new re-make of "BSG" with Greek-Roman culture/religion/naming and Daniken's theory (as the show eventually ended, in a new "Earth" and helping the local "humans" to upgrade themselves), IS BY FAR THE BEST scenario they could imagine for the "BSG" saga.

Now... for a new "BSG" movie... but NOT BASED on the last tv series - but a new retold (again!) version of the saga... don't know.
    I'm not saying "I don't like", but also not saying "I love it". Perhaps it will be like in 2004 when I originally took a seat to watch the new "BSG" tv series and I had in mind the original of the 80's. I didn't regretted it - I LOVED IT more.

Perhaps this new retold would be even better than 2004-2009 version - which I personally loved it and I've watched everything (including "The Plan" & "Razor" and Web-episodes) about... 10-11 times so far!

SO SAY WE ALL!

• simonwilliamkitt Sep 16, 2014

Why of why are they not making a film about the time between caprica and bsg???

This was the thing we all wanted to see not another remake of story you will never tell better then they have done already damn it!

Want to see captain Adama progress through the ranks! and also how those religious nut's influence the Cylons

So much original viewing I was getting really excited I might actuallt get see MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• MoonDragn Aug 06, 2014

One of the reasons I loved the original BSG was the bigger than life heroes that it portrayed in Apollo and Starbuck, in a kind of space western way with fast draw laser pistols and hotshot dogfighting. While some of that was in the new series, what changed was the line that blurred between the good guys and the bad guys.

The other part I hated was the way the new series dealt with the lost tribe that ended on Earth. The story got kind of muddled and the mystery that was in the original was missing in the new series.

If they remake the series into a film, I hope they continue where the real Starbuck and Apollo from the original left off.

• NarcoPokahont Jun 07, 2014

I would be happy if there is some spinoff of the BSG,maybe origin of the cylons,Original earth,The Kobol war. But i kinda like this crew and i would be more happy if there is even some drama about how did they live after they got on New Earth. I dont know. i just want more,with '04 crew.

• numberonecubsfa Apr 17, 2014

I'm one of the few who hated the newer TV series, so sure, give me another chance to like a good idea by starting fresh.

• Sugar2U Apr 11, 2014

I LOVED the 80 version so I never got into the one more resent even though I did watch the first show I never got into it ( a GIRL Starbuck??? hmmm) So I could watch a new version and hope for that 80s love I never got .

• JosepD Apr 10, 2014

Ron Moore from Portland should write it.

• larrymcqueary Sep 02, 2014

So few people will get this joke. Well played! I LOL'd.

• ABCRobbieB Apr 10, 2014

I'd like confirmation of what happened to Starbuck, did she end up on the Ship of Light, WTF happened to her exactly.

I got into Caprica, it was a little bit slow paced and then raced off at the speed of light at the end. Probably coz they knew it hadn't been renewed and wanted to finish the story. But it was just getting good when it finished, I thought it was a shame. They should just revive Caprica and cover the original Cylon war.

Frak :-) Does anyone else use that word? Ever since I watched the 04-09 series I often say Frak instead of the alternative.

• Sugar2U Apr 11, 2014

I have been saying FRAK since the 80s version.. really weird to hear it said again now...

• MysticWarlock Apr 12, 2014

Same here. Also a great way to quickly "sniff out" other BSG/ scifi fans.....cause only they know what the frak you're talking about.

• proudz Apr 10, 2014

I have to say that I´m a bit ambivalent towards this... I absolutely loved the 2004-2009 version, and the following movies (Razor, The Plan, Blood and Crome), and I`d love to see more from this wonderful universe. Moreover, as pointed out by KT there´s still some lingering questions about the 2009 finale I´d like to see answered. However, that being said I´m not entirely sure about a reboot of a reboot... As said in the article above, how many times can you tell same story? We all now how the story ends, so there isn´t really anything surprising left. - unless the writers make some significant changes, which would also mean that the original story would be left hanging in the wind, and we most likely end up with another Terminator 3.....

Well if "The Three Musketeers" is anything to go by, they can and will re-tell the same story dozens of times :-)

• ekim726 Apr 10, 2014

I will watch anything that is science fiction and I will keep watching if I stay interested. They could remake every show ever made 20 times over if they wanted to and I would watch they as long as they keep me interested. Keep it coming TV land!

• See More Comments (88)