Daybreak, Part 2 (2)

Episode Reviews (30)

Superb

Daybreak, Part 2

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 27, 2012

Daybreak Part 2 was another perfect episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of action, drama, suspense, intrigue and character development. The new Admiral and President of the Colonies are selected, and Baltar makes a bold decision. Boomer makes one last decision herself and gets what she deserves. The dream which Roslin, Athena and Caprica Six all shared along with Baltar is played out in the action, and the ending of the episode left us with quite the cliffhanger for the season and series finale. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode to see how it all plays out!!!!!!!!!moreless

This is it... we've waited five years for this moment. What an episode, what a finale ... what a show.

By h00plah, Nov 18, 2011

It's been months since this aired, yet I'm still confused, sad and happy all at the same time that things came to an end like they did. Sure, we never got to know what happened to Starbuck, but I've given that one tons of thought. It didn't really matter what she was. When you think about it, Baltar is so similar to Kara it's not even funny. I honestly think that Baltar has been dead from the beginning. Now hear me out on this one! When the colonies were nuked, Caprica six simply pushed Baltar to his knees as the entire building came down. Then all of a sudden, he's alive and well, and then he slowly makes his way off the planet and onto the Galactica. In the episode "The Hand of God", he takes a wild guess and points out the location of where the viper squadron needs to attack. I really don't think it was mere coincidence that he was spot on. He had created the cylon detector, didn't he also save Roslin's life in season two by curing her cancer? There's also the fact that he was seeing visions of Six. There was no explanation for this one, except for "he was seeing an angel". Kara also saw an "angel" in "Someone to watch over me". She sat next to a piano player who reminded her of her own father. Then at the end of the episode she's playing "All along the watchtower" and then suddenly this man disappears. Baltar was an "Angel", Kara Thrace was an "Angel" and so was Caprica Six. I'm more than satisfied with that explanation for all of it. These three characters all played their roles in "Gods" plan. Six pushed Baltar along the way, Baltar brings Hera into the "Opera House"/CIC and temporarily ends the war between Cylons and Man. And Starbuck? She ended the struggle. She solved the "All along the watchtower" puzzle, and she ended the journey.

I'm going to have to go back and watch things from the beginning, because I really think that the second time through will be so much better than the first now that I understand everything that happened. Battlestar Galactica, in your five years of run time on TV ... you've really outdone yourself. You've shown us that nobody is perfect, you've shown us that there is always hope and there is always a solution ... you've been an inspiration and you will not be forgotten.

So say we all.moreless

How to wrap up a series 101

By Prieure, Sep 12, 2011

An almost perfect ending to an almost perfect show. I don't really understand how the people who gave bad reviews wanted it to end. Maybe they took different meanings from the important things that have been said over the 4 years of the show. The last survivors of the human race escaped their tormentors forever and got to live out their days on a so far unpolluted Earth and, eventually, re-built their species with the help of genetically similar beings. Is this not exactly what those survivors whose number is so important throughout the series were looking for from the moment they had to start running for their lives? This show will surely be remembered for all time as a classic which came to an end when the creators wanted it to and didn't out stay it's welcome, as so many American TV shows seem to. All 3 parts of the finale left me completely satisfied and eager for The Plan to be revealed to memoreless

the final 2 episodes were the best written in the last 2 years...... this show will be rerun in many many years to come and the true significance of the story, in time... maybe be understood by all.

By soxyonline, Sep 12, 2011

an unbelivable ending to the most well writen shown in the last 2 years. (apart from lost).

every angle was covered, every story wrapped up, every purpose of every characters actions was displayed, truly a masterpeice of writting and directing.

the final moments of the double episode had me at total awe....... congratulations to all envolved in the show.

hope that this year the show receives all the awards and recognition it deserves.

im very sad to see it end.... but will enjoy the reruns forever......

we should all take note from the subconcience messages and do all we can to prevent self anialation in the long run.moreless

Every little plot point all the way through the series culiminated in one of the best conclusions to a television show I've ever seen. It made me cry at the end, it was that good.

By zarlok, Sep 12, 2011

First and foremost, people need to take a step back and probably rewatch the entire show all the way through before hating the writers because of their ending.

From the beginning of the series I knew this as a Suspenseful, Scifi-ish, Drama that would weave and swerve and take us all for a fun ride. At the end they took us to the height of the ride and dropped us from the cliff, as if the world was ending...and then dropped us on a nice landing pad as if we had just come down....a little bumpy, but good.

1) The Writing was PERFECT, They wrapped up all their loose ends that they needed to, left enough for people to think about and ask questions if they want(and create fanfiction out the yin-yang), and stayed true to their main themes throughout the entire production run.

2) The Acting was good...in fact most of these actors were never big names, but I will forever remember them for the work they put out...they were all given very difficult roles to portray and they did them beautifully, I was amazed.

3) If you were watching for all the small issues...every little plot point and how it tied into the big picture, and looking at it all as a story with a message at the end, then you were watching what I was watching. If you watched a show with awesome action and good plot but that "shortchanged" you with the ending, then you weren't watching it as it was intended...remember the messages throughout the show, this was all very much set up to tell a moral or an ending at the end.

This show was very much written with the Well-Made Play Formula and the Spirit of the Greek Tragedies in mind. The Theatre and Literature Scholars of the group can agree with me...it was written with the Overarchign story the entire time...very much a Greek Tragedy that happens to twist the ending...but leaving a lot of loose ends...Euripides is a good starting point. This show was never meant to be something that was 'just a scifi show', it was always meant as a work of art and a complete story, and this ended exactly how every story should.

"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."

So Say We All!moreless

Part two: The dramatic apex (review is of all three episodes of the finale).

By screenagedkicks, Sep 12, 2011

Well. That was a turn up for the books, wasn't it? While these episodes were broadcast separately (well, 419 was at any rate), Ronald D. Moore penned the three instalments as one script, one movie if you will, so I feel it best to treat them as such in this review. And in so doing, it becomes very clear that there is an intentional concentric structure to the piece. The story essentially moves from chessboard manoeuvring in its first hour to action/emotional apex in its second and then to introspection and finally, rest in its third. There's a distinctly poignant beauty in this most novel-esque narratology, anchored in the one element common to all aspects: the pre-Fall flashbacks. These mire the action in the trope that has always been at the core of the 21st Century Battlestar Galactica: the human character and all its inherent quirks and faults. Moore is wise to incorporate these moments into the finale, despite the inevitable complaints that will arise from many corners that they take up time that could be 'better spent' giving us more coherent answers to whatever minutiae that have been left dangling over the years. And while I will concede that certain aspects of the flashbacks could perhaps have done with a little more treatment (Roslin's in particular lacks any particular oomph and falls a little flat), 'Daybreak' was never obliged to neatly tie up every question, no matter how irrelevant, that has arisen over the years. In fact, if it had, it would arguably have been a disappointment, feeling more like a laundry list than a believable, engaging and satisfying goodbye to the characters that we've come to know and love. The answers we DO get, and the action that they are tied up in, are generally excellent: they make up a significant proportion of the dramatically intense second hour which, unquestionably, is the best aspect of the entire finale. There's tension and suspense galore here, not to mention some stellar special effects, a whole hell of a lot of blood and some damn fine confrontational scenes, culminating in Baltar and Six's brilliant encounter at the 'Opera House'. There are kinks, unfortunately, and they begin to show in the third act as some highly illogical plot manoeuvring jeopardises the believability of the plot. So the Galacticans find what we know as Earth, a planet populated with primitives, and they... decide to abandon everything and start again? You're telling me that 37,000 people would blindly agree to fly all of their technology into the Sun and live, not just without creature comforts, but without basic things like medical science?! Oh yeah, we'll just get rid of all of our advances in childbirth and let what, like, 30% of women die before the sprog pops out? Great idea! Transportation, communication, INSULATION? Oh shucks, who needs 'em, eh? I have a really hard time buying any of this; it smells pungently of a quick fix, driven by a misguided need to tie the events of the Galactica world into our own. The somewhat conservative allegory - that our predilections for technological advancement will only lead to our downfall - functioned as metaphor up to this point, but now it's just blatant finger-pointing, especially when one takes the rather patronising closing scene into consideration. Moore, you really needn't have. Meaning arguably works better when it is not tied around a 70 tonne anvil, towering over your head. The last two or three minutes are a huge let-down as a result of this: they come across as preachy, gratuitous and unnecessary rather than thought-provoking and poignant. It's a shame really as there's a great deal to enjoy in the 'new Earth' scenes: yes, they're rather pedestrian at times but just check out the acting skills on display and the beautiful dialogue they're all given... Adama and Roslin, in particular, even if his decision to bugger off and build that cabin away from everyone is just plain ludicrous. And what exactly was Starbuck, anyway? An angel? Meh. I'd rather hoped Moore wouldn't take the obvious religious route out but alas, never mind. Still, when considered collectively, the three parts of 'Daybreak' make for a generally engaging and satisfying finale. They take that most important of facets as their dramatic core - character - and run with it, giving closure and finality to our favourite players while also delivering some of the finest, and most explosive, dramatic moments the show has ever seen. It's a pity that the 'comedown', if you will, contains a number of very prominent flaws that serve to distract the viewer's attention from the good and leave a slightly bitter after-taste. 'Daybreak' is not the perfect crescendo we had come to expect from this oh-so-wonderful of shows, but perhaps our expectations shouldn't have been so high. It's enjoyable nonetheless and at the end of the day, that'll do for me.moreless

The survivors of the 12 colonies find themselves, God, and Earth - all in two hours. About the time it takes, apparently, to destroy a legend.

By Dialecto, Feb 02, 2011

I'll go out on a limp here and say: Whoever liked this series finale, can not have liked or, at least, understood the entire show that came before it. The second part of this two-hour cr..., sorry, wrap-up took all the worst things about Battlestar Galactica and made them the definitive end point for what could have been one of the greatest TV series of the new millenium. What are we left with in the end? Religious sermons and pre-modern angst. A show that was so complex, so nuanced over it's 5-year run, boiled down to affirming the existence of capital 'G' god and his plan behind the existence of humankind and demonizing technological progress as a constant threat to it's very survival. It hardly gets more reactionary than this. Comprehensive destiny, angelic guidance and an entire array inpalatably obtrusive return-to-your-roots anti-progressive gestures ... and all that on top of a shocking amount of plotholes needlessly left open. All I could say after two hours was: Frakk that! It took the writers two hours to utterly ruin four seasons of greatness, to turn one of the best shows in years into one of the most repulsive, which no amount of fine acting (which, no less, also withered away with the excessive sappiness of the second hour of the finale) could correct. I was literally appalled. Now, the memory Battlestar Galactica will certainly stick with me for years to come. Unfortunately, it's for all the wrong reasons.moreless

Next time you watch a show, try to pay attention to what it does best. Don't complain about the lack of answers when the show is profoundly known for not giving answers to questions. But you know what? The finale wasn't about that, it was about goodbyes.

By chagopian, Oct 11, 2010

Apparently, according to a number of people, if you liked Battlestar Galactica's Day Break Part 3, you missed the entire point of the show. I feel like this is one giant hypocritcal slap in the face from suspense junkies who were never in it from the beginning, or for the real ride. I mean, have you even watched this show?

Huh? When was this show ever known to answer the questions we seeked? But this is something I want to touch on before I actually review this two parter, I don't know what show you were watching for the last 2 years, but Battlestar was never about the mysteries. And the more and more the writers started to create mysteries in season 3 and 4, the more and more out of touch they became with the show. Drenched in knee deep mythology, and mysteries that probably demanded their own backstories, Kara the harbringer of death (more on that later), the head characters (more on that later), elements of the story that were fascinating, and at the same time, overwhelming in a bad way. What this series essentially did, was make everything right.

Who gives a **** what Kara is? Why do you care so much? If you'd even watched the entire fourth season, you'd notice they pretty much tell you to stop caring about that before these last three episodes. In fact, Gauis Baltar brings it up to everyone on Galactica, even calls her out, and nobody gave a ****. Just like nobody would give a **** if Kara got them all to Earth, why ruin the perfect moment by giving a hokey name to what Kara is or isn't? What difference does it make? They made it to earth!!!. The show was never about frakkin Kara Thrace and her destiny, the more people complain about this, the less I care about their opinion. Did the writers write themselves in a corner? Yes. Thankfully it shouldn't matter in the overall scale, Kara Thrace saved the fleet. Secondly, there's this bull that the finale was bad because God was involved. Well I don't know where to start other than the very beginning wher Baltar was being haunted by a messenger of God, are you kidding me, it's been with the show since the very beginning, when did this become such a big problem? You've been told what Head Six is, and what Head Baltar is, and you've been reaffirmed earlier this season with Anders confirming it. My point isn't that some of you hacks should be more aware of plot developments, my point is.. no wait, that's exactly my point. Did any of you watch the flashbacks? You all complain that this was all apart of God's plan, did you evne get what the flashbacks were about? Lol, they're the exact opposite arguement that God was responsible for everything that just happened. Every single flashback is the specific arguement against the head characters being the main catalyst for all of this, but we're too dense to appreciate the ending.

Anyways, it was a fantastic finale. I got to see the best character moments in the entire series (Lee's speech, Tyrol heading off on his own, and Baltar's farming speech was tragic), with some of the best action sequences ever. Who the frak gives a **** about Kara Thrace and her special destiny? You shouldn't, you never should.moreless

Incredible ending. Interestingly, the ending is faithful to the original plan for the first BSG but was too controversial in the late 1970s. What I found most interesting was a number of possible endings.

By BlueKnight13, Apr 18, 2010

If you use the iTunes breakout of "Part 2" and "Part 3", what's interesting is that the show could have ended at the end of Part 2 (albeit they wouldn't have 100% tied up every storyline). Then, it could have ended when they collectively decided to settle earth and send the fleet into the sun (by the way, why don't we do that with nuclear waste? But I digress). Then they could have ended with Athena, Helo, and Athena walking off into the horizon...but again they didn't. The real end seems to have drawn the ire of many of the reviewers on tv.com (but not as much those who vote). But why not get us to seriously consider where we are and how our technology has already begun to dwarf our morality?

I give a hearty thumbs up to a well thought out series, beginning to end. I guess old Cavil and crew spent out their days jumping to look for an enemy that no longer exists. An apt metaphor for modern day life as well.

Be seeing you,