Epiphanies

Episode Reviews (21)

Superb

Epiphanies

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 16, 2012

Epiphanies was another perfectly entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of character and plot development along with some action, drama and intrigue. The story was well written and it was great that Sharon's fetus blood could save the President. I also liked how There was a lot of different scenarios going on in this episode and the various characters had their own moments of growth. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!moreless

Easier to kill.

By kickdoor, Dec 04, 2010

It's odd, I would've thought Roslin's "moment of clarity," as they say, would have extended to not making horrible decisions, but I guess not. As ordering the termination of Sharon's pregnancy was one of her worst yet. And screw scientific research, tactically it's a bad call. Sharon has been a tremendous help to them. Who cares why she's doing it? As I said even I have trouble believing that she's 100% with them, but that seems to be the way it is. So why would you ever want to give her a reason to stop helping you? To in fact turn any "gen-u-ine compassion"(as Adama put it) that she may have into genuine hate. Those shots of her trying to fend off the guards as Adama looked on silently were tough to swallow. Of course that all got settled in what would of been a delicious piece of irony, as Sharon's baby was the key to saving Roslin's life, but enjoying it would mean that Roslin was still alive...bit of a Catch-22 there.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but I would've given odds on Roslin surviving to annoy me for some time to come. Honestly though, it could of been one of my favorite characters and I still wouldn't have liked it. You don't build up a character's death for a season and a half and then not pull the trigger, you just don't do it. No matter what was going on behind the scenes or what you might have planned for the future, it always comes off as a cop out, at least to me it does. And it definitely put a bit of a blemish on the series.

The plot with the Demand Peace movement was interesting, and frightening. I'm glad it turned out to be Six leading them, as a human coming up with the idea of surrendering to the Cylons seems crazy. Baltar's scene with her where he's unable to control himself when given the chance to be with a physical Six was done well, and helped setup what was to come at the end. I think they missed an opportunity for a better episode title though, "Dr. Baltar or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb." I couldn't believe he gave them the nuke and I just wish he was acting less out of a want to be with the corporeal Six and more out of anger over what was going to be done to "their" child.

I'm not really placing any blame from the decision to keep Roslin alive on this particular episode. And I enjoyed most of it anyway, just not anything particularly great about it.moreless

BSG's first bad episode.

By classicliberal2, Jun 18, 2010

This was BSG's first bad one, and wow, did they take a nosedive! The English language can scarcely do justice to the cretinous imbecility of virtually every aspect of this unfortunate abomination of an episode.

It's probably inevitable that a show I'd come to hold in such high regard would eventually come to disappoint, and probably bitterly disappoint, but after such a great first season-and-a-half, I never expected it to happen so abruptly.

Throughout BSG, there have been story arcs that were better than others, but I can live with most of what I saw as the shortcomings along the way--they were so outweighed by the show's benefits that I barely consider them worth mentioning. The previous episodes' extremely lackluster conclusion to the Pegasus arc marked the first time BSG had ever let me down in a big way. With "Epiphanies," we have, quite simply, the worst episode of the run to date. Even as I'm writing this, the third season having already aired, it remains the worst, and a monument to poor decision-making.

The lack of bad episodes prior to this, however, means that merely calling it "the worst" doesn't do justice to how monumentally awful this offering was on nearly every level.

The "Cylon sympathizer" storyline, which looked as though it was going to be a regular feature of BSG for a while, was so poorly conceived and offensively idiotic that I find myself, once again, at a loss for sufficient words with which to adequately envenom it. BSG's creators apparently agreed--after setting it up as what looks like a new ongoing storyline, it's barely mentioned again after this episode.

For that matter, practically everything that happened in "Epiphanies" has subsequently been erased, reversed, or otherwise abandoned.

The episode was one of the worst available examples of writers deciding they want to tell a particular story and grafting it on to a show with no regard for whether or not it actually fits there, or makes any sense in the context of the series (or makes sense in and of itself, for that matter--the "Cylon sympathizer" storyline made no sense on any level). At that point, they aren't writing BSG anymore. They're writing whatever they want, and calling it BSG.

The point of this episode's Laura story was to show that arbitary decision-making on behalf of leaders is fraught with peril. In the flashbacks, set on Caprica before the Cylon attack, Laura was the cooler head who fought against this kind of thing, just as she has throughout her time as President, but in "Epiphanies," she inexplicably succumbs to it, and it almost costs her her life. This is Laura cast as George Bush Jr.

The obvious problem with this is that Laura is NOT George Bush Jr. Her decision to eliminate the human/Cylon fusion comes out of nowhere and is based on nothing, and while we've come to expect that sort of thing from the present "President" of the United States, it's not the sort of thing the Laura Roslyn we've come to know would do.

There would have been a million ways to raise legitimate concerns about allowing the fusion to come into existence, most of them requiring no more than a line or two of dialogue. The humans could have hashed out the matter, the way they always do, and come to some decision, maybe a tough one, and maybe it's proven, at the end, to be the wrong one. The writers, however, wanted to tell a story about the dangers of arbitrary decision-making, so the show and the characters get bent into whatever odd angles are required to tell that story, with little or no concern for continuity or consistency. Laura decides she wants the fusion destroyed for unstated "security concerns," and everyone but Baltar immediately agrees.

Consider that, in the episode immediately preceding this one, the characters faced an ethical crisis--do we really deserve to live? In considering this, it was suggested that assassinating a dangerous lunatic who posed a clear danger to the entire fleet may be some morally unconscionable act. As obviously false as this should have been, Adama actually concluded that it might, and called it off. With "Epiphanies," we're offered a situation where it is suggested that a horror be committed, entirely needlessly, upon the person of a woman--Sharon--who has offered substantial aid to the fleet, including saving it, at one point, and has tried very hard to gain their trust, and no one except Crazy Baltar (in pursuit of his own agenda) even thinks twice about giving the green light for this to occur?

Whatever.

The magic cure for Roslyn's cancer is probably the episode's lowest point. It's exactly the sort of awful plot device BSG has always rigorously avoided, to the point that it's one of their trademarks. Now, she's been returned to health, and, even worse, she now has, after all this time, a sudden memory of seeing Baltar and Six together back on Caprica.

Even Baltar's bizarre moment of glory at having saved Laura was dashed by yet another idiotic creative decision that had him acting radically out-of-character in the service of a prefab plot.

Final analysis: not worthy of the dust on the boots of my BSG.moreless

By Dante_Edy, Sep 02, 2009

***This review details –» this is a "I" perspective, based in what I like and recognize to be good or interesting, this is not a "god" where the guy thinks what he thinks is the true or the "you" perspective where I know what you will like and what you don´t.***

After 3 episodes centered in a difficult situation where every character is involved somehow, the writers decided to make an episode centered in a character and the first choice was of course the President. After so many time, I wouldn´t believe that she could die, I knew from the beginning that Gaius could discover a way to save her and this is exactly what happens in this episode. As usual, Sharron is linked to the President, first the unnecessary "pregnancy terminated", then the solution arises near the end. Since Roslin couldn´t participate in coma state, she had dreams, where she remembers about one important thing, very convenient. Not only Sharron was linked in Roslin Story, Gaius too.

Presentation Phase - » (7/10) nice, just because the details of the flashback,

Complication Phase - » (7/10) saving Roslin, seeing flashbacks and one filler,

Climax Phase - » (7/10) light climax, the explanation was more interesting,

Ending - » (7/10) light ending,

Details/Progress (To point A to B) -» (7/10) the necessary progress, curing a cancer,

Time and Scene Management - » (8/10) some filler in the mix,

Plot Details/Holes- » (10/10) fine,

Storyline -» (7/10) too depressive and slow, but is good anyway,

Drama - » (14/20),

Overall, this is a good episode centered in Roslin, but compared of the last 3 episodes, seems that this episode lacks in something, like interesting conflicts.moreless

A different side of story

By Parricida, Dec 17, 2008

It really looks the legacy of previous episode is that the cylon fleet backs up for a while and they have to deal with their inner crises - and it is mostly the cylon escaped from Pegasus who has been creating her own resistance and she has no plans to give up, under no circumstances. On the other main storyline is Roslin, whose death is getting near and she is having those flashbacks and in one of them, she remembers something very important and that really looks even more that next coming episodes might be the flight between Roslin and Baltar.

And Sharon and her unborn child storyline was expected too. They were going along with it too long and now it was a real danger. i most say the moment on the corridor - where Halo is stopping them.. it was good one.moreless

Not much action but great drama anyways

By kingrich06, Jun 09, 2008

After the last three episodes with Admiral Kain and Batllestar Pegasus adventures, I have to admit this one is a bit of a downer. The level of intensity is not up there but that not saying its not the same level of standard the show produces but just not as thrilling and action packed as the previous three. The show’s writers demonstrate how some people are willing to give up in face of dire adversity. Once again the show hit a morale dilemma about using fetus tissue to cure cancer. When does it become right or wrong. I really like how this show tackles the hard questions.moreless

In this episode, President Roslin(Mary McDonnell) finds herself on her deathbed and having flashbacks to her life on Caprica. Baltar(James Callis) eventually discovers a cure for her cancer in the Cylon/Human hybrid. They give it to her and she is cured.

By Samina5638, Apr 05, 2008

This episode was, even thought it was somewhat hard to watch, another great episode in the series. I have watched the series from the beginning and this episode was sort of a tearjerker for me. You see Roslin on her deathbed, having all sorts flashbacks to her time on Caprica and I thought that that was interesting that they installed that into the episode because it just gives you a different impression of her. I goes along well with the fact that she had been having the visions so I didn't really dought that they would bring something like this to the show and to her character. Mary McDonnell is an excellent actress along with all of the others.moreless

what a load of tosh

By dregj, Sep 09, 2006

had there been a build up to the "baby cures cancer" plot line it may have been slightly less forced and stupid.

gaisus tell us he experimented with the baby toasters blood

not because we have seen him tinkering in other episodes but because he tells us he has (and we just didnt see him)

lazy writting i thnk

(Come to think of it hes been obsessed with the new 6 clone for the last few episodes HMMM ..... no lab work in them)

the good doctors final turn to the dark side is believable all he wants is respect and he gets none,roslyns note is the final blow to his ego that pushes him over the edge.

How will gauis use the cylon detector with out the nuke?moreless

Cool episode.

By sfviewer, Aug 27, 2006

President Roslin nears death, we are shown flashbacks from her past before she was sworn in as president of the colonies. It's a very interesting look into the past, not a boring one, it's actually helping us know more about Roslin in ways that aren't dull. Dramatic scenes are good when shown in a sci fi show. This one is right on the money, the writers did a good job with the story, it was still very entertaining. Baltar might have done something bad, but we don't know much yet, the number six cylon sleeper agent from the pegasus resurfaces. this is another trouble for the fleet.moreless

Some fascinating insights into Dr. Baltar

By montaigne61, Feb 06, 2006

Finding himself just a hair\'s breadth away from the presidency, Baltar starts to show the strain. His newfound interest in politics forces him to decline Roslin\'s offer to resign, and yet fails to prevent him from saving her life. And finally, a painfully critical letter prompts him to take a fairly drastic action. He seems to have regressed from the strength he showed after killing Crashdown, and returned to the selfishness that Number 6, newly returned to his life, always brings out of him. This duplicity in his character prevents him from being relegated to the sci-fi standard nerdy scientist, but I sure was starting to like the confident side of the good doctor. And we get a tantalizing hint of another threat to Baltar\'s dirty little secret. If he had known what images were flashing through Roslin\'s dying mind, I doubt he would have been much inclined to save her life.moreless

Load More Reviews