He That Believeth in Me

Episode Reviews (34)

Superb

Season 4 starts with a bang

By Linc-o, Mar 31, 2012

If you think season 3 finale was awesome, well, this goes way beyond that.

Starbuck returns, claiming she's been to Earth, not knowing that everyone saw her blowing up in space, and she keeps saying they're going the wrong way. Baltar finds himself in the middle of a cult to his figure, which only gets him in trouble. Meanwhile, the four "new" cylons try to keep their lives going on as they were before.

Besides all that, the space battle scenes are among the best I've ever seen on tv.

In a nutshell: this episode is SUPERB.moreless

He That Believeth in Me

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 22, 2012

He That Believeth in Me was a perfect episode of Battlestar Galactica! All I can say is Wow! This episode was amazing from start to finish with action right away, drama, scandal, and intrigue. There was also a ton of character and plot development. The space battle scenes were phenomenal and beautiful. It was cool to see the Cylon Raider scan Anders or Longshot. The President urges that the fleet continue jumping and to follow the Nebula's path while Starbuck urges they back track to find Earth after returning under mysterious circumstances. The four newly realized Cylons continue to meet and discuss themselves which was cool, while Baltar lives among his followers and has some interesting experiences. I thought it was awesome how the Six in Baltars mind appeared and how it did seem that perhaps she is sent by God. I hope the show will end how I suspect, as I've never watched the last two seasons of the show at this point in time. I love to think about the possibilities. I'd like to point out the numbers, which all relate perhaps, 12 colonies, + 13th tribe, 12 Cylons, The Cylons One God unless it is one of them then it would be the +1, and then there are the 12 Gods of the Pantheon, or 13 maybe too depending on how one breaks it down. Watching Colonel Tigh hallucinate was interesting as were many other scenes like the ending when Starbuck takes her issues up with the President directly. I look forward to watching the next episode to see what happens next as I'm on the edge of my chair with suspense!!!!!!!!!moreless

The storylines are just getting more and more bizarre.

By QuakertownBob, Sep 01, 2011

This was the episode that put it over the top for me. Too much baloney, too far fetched or near fetched for me. The finale last season was bad enough, now each week seems to contradict previous things we took for granted.

I am sorry, it should have ended last year, it is like the Soprano's going for the one last season to wrap up all the lose ends and that turned out to be horrible.

Their finale had people talking, and not in a good way. We felt cheated with all the wait to bad TV, the only saving grace for this show for me is that it is not on a premium channel that I have to pay extra for. This show gets a four swirly rating, it takes four flushes to get rid of all the crap they put in it.moreless

We continue where it all stopped..

By Parricida, Sep 01, 2011

Oh.. the last season ending was stunning and now they continue that storyline - main surprise is Starbuck and everyone is happy to have her back.. until the moment she is arrested and more and more of her craziness stars to come out. Where she was, what happened - she does not know. All she says is that she found Earth and they are going on wrong way.. And Gaius.. he finds himself a place to hide and starts a dangerous road with those people - and finds his position getting stronger when they think he a mirical.

And we have Roslin.. she is somehow slipping away in wrong direction too.. who knows.. but there are many exciting storylines..moreless

Starbuck's back, key members of the fleet find out they are cylons and anders gives a weird reaction to one of the cylon raiders, sending them headed towards their base ship.

By h00plah, Jan 05, 2011

The episode starts off where the last season left off. Starbuck returns out of nowhere during a cylon attack. She claims she has been to earth, and she can take the fleet there. Lee is speechless at first, and simply cannot believe that she's alive.

The two vipers containing Lee and Kara then proceed to joining the fire fight with the cylons, and attempt to maintain the situation. On the galactica, Tigh hallucinates an event where he draws his gun and shoots Adama in the head. Showing that tigh is starting to change in some ways.

In the next scene, Tyrol has a discussion with Anders. Anders is worried that what he's about to do (go out and fight the cylons) is crazy. The both of them are beginning to panic. But the both of them are trying their best to maintain their original characters, to not let past events change who they are today.

Also, Baltar has been rescued by an anonymous woman, who seems to have to one objective to help him, and keep him in safety. The fight rages on, and the ship "Pixus" is lost, along with 600 people. But the fight continues. As anders races towards the cylon raiders, nukes are flying everywhere and mayhem is being caused all around. He makes his way towards a cylon raider, but something happens before he is able to destroy it. He makes "eye contact" with the cylon and it seems to acknowledge that it knows he is one of the final five. The raider then races back towards the base ship along with all the other raiders. In my opinion, this was a great scene, Anders had just discovered he was a cylon, and he was doubting this. But now he knows that because of what just happened, there isn't much of a chance that he's human. The fight scene was pretty great, I loved how you got to see the perspective of the viper pilot (Anders), and the visuals were pretty nice, too. Now, back to the Baltar story. He has been rescued by his "worshippers", who wish only for him to guide them. He arrives in a colorful room full of strangers.

Starbuck finally arrives back on the Galactica, and everyone stands there in awe. Nothing explains her sudden re-appearence, and Lee is sure happy to see her alive in one piece. Tigh and Adama stand to watch this, still not believing what is happening. I still couldn't understand things at this point, and that was how things were meant to be. Whatever happened to Kara is explainable, but it's going to take more than a few tests with Cottle to find out. Adama then has Starbuck (who thinks she's been gone for only a few hours) escorted to sick bay to have some tests done, just for safety precautions in a sense. The best scenes in this episode were the ones with Starbuck, the Cylon/Galactica fight and the scenes with Baltar. This episode was one of the weaker ones, but still was considered good in my opinion. Hopefully more episodes like this are on their way. This season has started off on an "okay" note.moreless

The fleet deals with all out attack, while Anders has an unusual encounter with a Cylon Raider. Starbuck come home to suspicion and doubt, and Baltar is also dealing with his new status as a religious figure.

By grayson_21, Dec 19, 2010

The long awaited season premiere has all of the promise of a truly great hour, but ended up with a great episode. I know BSG fan were expecting a lot more flash and bang, but this episode concentrated on the characters and their new change of status. Tigh's dream sequence was very shocking even though I knew it was going happen that way. I can't wait to see how he handled throughout this season, given his hated of the Cylons. Anders is having the most difficult time coming to term with what he is. Starbuck is adjusting badly to being back. She obviously being used by party unknown and she hated being controlled. Out of the people that are going through changes, Baltar is adjusting the best to his new situation. I am very intrigued about the plan the Six in his head has for him. It is something big.

The only bad thing I could find is that the storylines didn't mesh very well, but it has been over a year since it has been on, so I will let that slide. Best Scenes: Tigh's dream sequence with Adama(it was very powerful and shocking!) Anders's encounter with the Raider(it was nicely done)

New Questions: Why did the Cylon fleet bug out when it had the advantage? What is Kara's purpose?moreless

Action packed start to the season 4.

By rapttorr, Dec 19, 2010

This episode started where the season 3 stoped. Battle was probably the best part of the episode. It was exciting, and it looked so good. Better than the battle from the Revenge of the Sith.

Story about Kara's return didn't move much further. I don't mind that becouse I know that by the end of season 4 we'll konow pretty much everything.

Another part of the episode is Baltar and his role of cult leader. His plot revolves around creation od monotheistic cult. Well, that's pretty much interesting and it creates certain issues like... does this mean that Baltar will be Jesus when fleet arrives to Earth. I'm pretty much confused where are they going with that religion thing...

Well, I wasn't disappointed 'till now, so I will continue to have faith in writers.moreless

Television's finest sci-fi drama in a decade is back - and the audience is begging for answers

By zerbleflip, Dec 19, 2010

UK airdate: 15th April, 2008

In the 1990s, Babylon 5 ushered in a new form of science-fiction television - not only using the genre to tackle questions of relevance to the times, but also daring to define a series that was truly galactic in its extent. In doing so, and despite the wobbles of the 4th and 5th season, it set a whole new benchmark for television science-fiction that remained unchallenged.

Battlestar Galactica despite the screams of so-called "purists" who cannot get their heads outside of the 1970's precursor has taken the bar set by Babylon 5 - and shot it into orbit.

While BSG has had its own wobbles - notably for this reviewer that latter part of season 2 / start of season 3, where the producers seemed to have more episodes than they had story arc elements (hence the atrocious "scar" et al) - it has nevertheless repeatedly delivered the most outstanding and relevant television drama. Ever.

"He That believeth.." proves why. Aired in the UK as the first half of a "double header" season premier (edited together with "Six of One" to form a single 105-minute episode), it escalates the tensions from the end of Season 3 to new - and different levels.

- Kara Thrace has mysteriously returned from the dead

- The newly-revealed 4 Cylons (Tigh, Anders, Tyrol and Tory are forced to confront the realities of their own identities

- Gaius Baltar's transformation into a Messiah continues - but to what end?

- The cracks evidenced in the humano-cylon ranks start to open into fissures

- The fleet goes from facing almost certain destruction by an overwhelming Cylon force to the threat of internal factions ripping it apart

During the episode, the core arcs left from season 3 are continued - clearly most notably through Baltar and the "revealed final four", while new arcs are opened: who - or what - is Kara Thrace? How balanced is Laura Roslyn's judgment (first questioned during Baltar's trial)? What is happening among the ranks of humano-cylons? Indeed, such is the manner in which tensions are raised and new story arcs are opened, this reviewer did start to worry about how the production team can draw all these various strings together smoothly, and answer all the necessary questions to bring full, and proper, closure to the series in just 20 short episodes. However, such is the pace and subtlety of "He That Believeth..." that these concerns are subsumed by 42-minutes of top-notch drama. BSG has always fired best when dealing with intense character interplay interwoven with the central concept of the show: the struggle for survival. In "He That Believeth..." both are delivered in spades - and continued through "Six of One".

From the opening sequence - which picks up directly from Lee Adama's "discovery" of Starbuck calmly piloting her Mark II which closed the end of season 3 - we run the gauntlet of the Cylon assault on the helpless fleet. This latter brings out the fears and worries of the "revealed four", notably voiced by Anders, that they might yet betray the Colonials, albeit unwillingly - and confirmation of the fact that they truly are Cylons. This latter confirmation comes as Anders is scanned by a Raider - with the result that the attack on the fleet ceases and the Raiders systematically return to their basestars.

This in turn precipitates a crisis within the humano-cylon ranks. Six, Leoben and Valerii realise the Raiders have evolved: they have identified the location of the final five, and collectively opted to break off their assigned attack on the Colonials. The remaining three - Steven, Doral and Cavel - find both the concept of the Raiders evolving and the idea that the final five could possibly be among the humans respectively repugnant and impossible. At the same time, new potential crises are developing in the ranks of the humans: the growing cult (largely, but not exclusively, female) around Giaus Baltar. While this initially appears to be a cult of personality, as the story unfolds, it starts to become evident that this cult runs deeper: that the "philosophy" of the "one true God" is beginning to take root among the humans - and Baltar is obviously the Anointed Son. What is more, Baltar himself, fragile after recent events, starts believing it himself. This in turn will clearly, and inevitably lead to a further clash between Baltar and Roslyn - the question is, who will precipitate it? On past performance, one would tend towards it being Roslyn herself. In this, a crisis closer to home is looming: a potential and lasting rift between her and Adama. The catalyst for this is the return of Starbuck herself; the woman who has apparently exceeded Roslyn by not so much gathering clues to the whereabouts of Earth - she's actually been there. In her mistrust of Starbuck, Roslyn is both demonstrating what was first alluded to in Baltar's trial: her own absolute belief that she is "right" in all matters of leadership - and she is placing Adama in a cleft stick, essentially asking him to put presidential leadership before "family". And what of Starbuck? Who or what is she? A Cylon? One would hope not. We know one humano-cylon has yet to be revealed, and I hope to god it does not turn out to be Starbuck. This would not so much be a great reveal as it would be a telegraphed double-bluff ("look we're making you think she is a Cylon through her disappearance, then we're going to convince you she isn't - only to whammy you with the fact she is! Aren't we clever?!"). So if not Cylon - that what? How did she survive the destruction of her Viper in the gravity well of the gas giant? Was her ship actually destroyed? If not, what did Lee Adama witness....and how come Thrace returned to Galactica in what appears to be a brand-spanking new Viper?

Is she a clone? Possibly - but again, if so, who created her? Oddly, this does lead back to the Cylons...they certainly have the technology...and she was in their "care" long enough for them to collect sufficient cell cultures to generate a "new", fully-human Kara Thrace...and they have the capability to capture her essence at the point of death and return it to a new body....

But if that is the case...it would suggest the Cylons - or a faction therein - already know the location of Earth. Is this possible? Yes. "Razor" opened that door with the introduction of the Guardians. And the question of identities leads us to - for me - two of the most intriguing questions of all:

- Who - or what - is Giaus Baltar?

- What happened to the real Saul Tigh?

Baltar must have died back in season one. Why do I assert this? Simply because we know the humano-cylons are as fragile as the humans upon which they are modelled. Bullets can kill them, as can knives (or pens), they can be beaten up.

There is certainly nothing in them that can apparently withstand a nuclear blast...yet, in the mini-series that is precisely what we're being asked to believe....that Six somehow protected Baltar from the shockwave of a local nuclear blast during the initial attack on Caprica. So how did Baltar survive? There seems to be only one answer: his consciousness was taken with that of Six at the point of destruction, and downloaded into a new body.

So, does this make him the last of the final five? Actually, it might....but equally, it is entirely possible that the Giaus Baltar we now is (like Starbuck) a Cylon-created clone. Either way, the whole idea of his "resurrection" is entirely in keeping with his growing Messiah status / complex. Furthermore, the idea of him being downloaded / resurrected goes a long way to explaining how the Six inside his head is able to continue to have such insights into the Cylon's plans....and why the resurrected Six carried her own Giaus Baltar. Put simply, during the joint download process (and note how Six places her hand of Baltar's head just prior to the shockwave hitting his house in the title sequence), their mental essence combined, and a little part of each of them remained with the other during "rebirth". And in the case of the Six in Baltar's head, the link back to her group was possibly retained. Either way, if Baltar's miraculous survival isn't revealed by the end of the series (and "miraculous" opens up another possibility....), then it'll be something of a disappointment.

Similarly....how is it that Saul Tigh is a Cylon? At the time of the first Cylon attack, the Cylons were "walking chrome toasters" (to quote Baltar et al)...by the end of the war (as defined in "Razor") were apparently only just beginning the development of their human models.

Yet Saul Tigh fought in the original war. He has served alongside of Bill Adama for some 40 years in and out of the service. If he has been a Cylon throughout this period, then it is a substantial re-writing of all we've been lead to believe(and (given the producers have admitted they only settled on Tigh during the development of season 3), significantly alters the premise of BSG....that the Cylons evolved _after_ the cessation of the original hostilities. If Tigh has NOT been a Cylon all this time - then it begs the question...what happened to the real Saul Tigh? If the "real" Tigh were "replaced" at some point...could it be that all the humano-cylons are actually copied from "real" humans - and thus the memories of their upbringing, etc., are not so much implants as they are the memories of the original? Certainly it brings a whole new underlying meaning to Six's frequent references to her and her cohorts being the "children of mankind" a new potential meaning. Again, if the series is to have proper closure, these issues should be addressed. At the very least, IF the current Tigh is a copy made from a human original….it could link in with Baltar's and Starbuck's potential resurrections…

But that said...on a series that has had far more hits than misses, "He That Believeth..." has once again up the ante.

Here's to the rest of the series!moreless

By danharr, Dec 19, 2010

Great season opener didn't disappoint on any level. The show opens with the newly discovered cylons rushing to their stations to do battle and we see Balthar being ushered off to safety by his female cult. It was great the way we now see the new cylons try to hide what they are and maintain their humanity. A wonderful scifi special effects and action sequence with Anders being "activated" as a cylon was done brilliantly. This was plotted quite well leading into the raiders and centurions being treated as equals and not just tools. The fact that the question was asked threw the whole cylon mightier than though civil rights stand on it's ear. They rebelled against humans for being treated as slaves but in turn took their own and now their slaves want equal rights. The other story of Balthars rise to messiah-hood had some great moments. Seeing Balthar come to a crisis of his selfish identity and as usual the show the question of coincidence or the hand of God was wonderfully posed. These instances and the return of Starbuck made for a great final season opener.moreless

Great Episode... but too late and not enough!

By Kondix, Oct 11, 2010

Well, after such a long wait it was really not ok to give us just one episode at once... why?

It seems as if almost every single person on that ship is on a new way in their life. It is almost like a new beginning, the beginning of the end. Dont get me wrong, I really liked this episode. I liked the writing, liked the amazing special effects and the good acting.

But after a year long wait, watching this was simply not enough. I know I have been waiting for this like for salvation over a time of one year, I know that what I have been waiting is not the second coming of JC... but this episode was simply a prologue to whats going to happen.

It should have been two episodes. Period. We nerds deserved it!

Major minus was the cliffhanger... the behaviour of Starbuck wasnt at the end to believable and the resulting cliffhanger was far from beeing a surprise... As a starting bonus, this one gets a ten... but the network should get its behind kicked! I want more and I want it now! And dont gimme that 10 episodes season crap!moreless

Load More Reviews