Sacrifice

Episode Reviews (29)

Great

Sacrifice

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 16, 2012

Sacrifice was a perfect and entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica and I enjoyed watching because there was action and intrigue from the start as the crew are having some fun down time and a hostage situation takes place. Poor Billy looked so hurt! Apollo played the hero as usual and took some risks. Sharon and her baby remain safe aboard Galactica for the time being. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!

This episode vomits on the otherwise superb, thrilling Battlestar Galactica. AVOID this episode !!!

By donelson, Mar 21, 2011

How to begin? Well, the acting was okay, the direction was okay, the production values were good...

But the WRITING: Arrgghh? Did some writers lose the script? Did their dog eat it? Did they forget EVERYTHING a writer should know about writing and dialogue?

I guess so.

1) The "villains" in this episode are never developed as people. We see the same old flashback of the woman, over and over, no other clue as to who she is or the complexity of her motives.

2) Her henchmen aren't even given names, much less characters. They merely stand in as props for this laughable plot.

3) Lee Adama escapes into the bathroom with Col Thai's (sp?) wife, and has a distinct advantage, which the writers dance up and down to throw away. They rush out with no thoughts about consequences (just like the writers). What a bunch of baloney.

4) Mad gunfire and confusion, and the Marines Retreat from their positions? I don't think so. What a bunch of crappy, unbelievable tripe.

5) Billy just has to go, so they send him out in the stupidest way possible.

6) This has all the hallmarks of the Hollywood Writers Guild on it. It is not even sophomoric in its quality.

I cannot imagine how the producers ALLOWED this one to be filmed, much less aired !

AVOID THIS EPISODE if you love this series.moreless

it was "painful to watch" dee throw away her relationship w/ billy, only to ruin some one else`s relationship. dee discusted me in this episode. (spoilers)

By trackstarbuck, Oct 11, 2010

it was "painful to watch" dee throw away her relationship w/ billy, only to ruin some one else`s relationship. dee discusted me in this episode. she might as well have shot billy herself. and she messed up what kara and lee had. off course, they will end up together, in my opinion, but de just pissed me off here! i was a good episode though. kara developed in character, by accidentally shooting lee, and then addmitting it. maybe it`s because she loves him? in the end, great acting(especially by katee sackhoff) and i can`t wait to see the new episode.moreless

Another Standalone episode with no important contribution to an arc.

But taken as a standalone it's really a good.

By annpo, Oct 11, 2010

The first time I watched this episode I thought it was really good, improved only if Ellen Tigh had been shot!!!

And I get that the sacrifice was actually Billy's.

But after watching it 3 times and stripping away all the emotive stuff - which has been handled more than adequately by other reviewers - I can't help but feel that the second half of BSG is being written by trained monkeys using a formula.

By this I mean.....We see a scene from some point a day/week/month in the future, and then we track back to the start of the chain of events that brought our characters to that point in time....it's very LOST....and getting old!

Also, if advancing the relationshp between Lee and that annoying child/woman Dee meant the demise of Billy....then it wasn't worth it!!!

The whole Lee/Dee thing doesn't convince me at all and I liked Billy and thought he had a real roll to play in the future.

If Starbuck wounding Lee was a way to send her further down the well of despair....that wasn't worth it either! She seems to be well and truly headed down that track now without needing another page of guilt added to the already weighty tome she seems to carry about with her.

And if Lee could shoot the Black Marketeer without any pause or compunction in Black Market, how come he didn't just shoot that stupid woman terrorist when he had the chance...she was the heart of the movement after all...or for that matter, why couldn't Starbuck?

That whole Starbuck and the Marines debacle was unbelievable to me. How bloody inept can a group of so-called highly trained professionals get? And why is it always Starbuck who's put in charge of these things. She a Pilot for fraks sake, not a commando!

I guess there was some symmetry in Dee sitting at Lee's bedside and Starbuck lurking in the background close to tears....that whole role reversal thing from Epiphanies if you remember, where Starbuck was sitting with Lee while Dee lurked in the corridor outside the bunkroom.

I thought Roslin was very good at the end in the morgue though.

One other thing....does anyone else think that maybe Apollo was swapped for a Cylon in Resurrection Ship when he was floating in space after Blackbird was blown up???moreless

A Bad Day on Cloud 9

By Spirit9Alex, Oct 11, 2010

Spoilers!!!!! A likeable supporting character meets an early demise in this "hostage" episode.

A grieving widow (guest star Dana Delaney) wants Cylon blood for the death of her husband so she and a small group of simpathizers take over a bar in Cloud 9. Conveniently Lee Adama and Billy are both vying for the attention of Dee as the siege begins. Admiral Adama gives Starbuck and some Marines a crack at stopping the saboteurs...but ultimately blood is shed and a supporting character we've been following since the pilot is gunned down. President Roslin stands firm and ends up suffering the most.

This episode was probably the strongest since Admiral Cain's (Michelle Forbes) run.

But, there are still imperfections. Dee's relationship with Lee has not been fully developed. She seemed more natural with Billy.

In all honesty, I'm not comfortable with the choices they've made for Dee of late.

It's also a shame that Dana Delaney's character couldn't have had a little more definition and a face to face with Admiral Adama.

But, the show is still strong in it's overall direction and I'll continue to give it votes of confidence, despite this deadly set back for a supporting character I was rooting for.

A good episode, but a bad day for Billy.

moreless

The first episode I DON'T like. The show takes a major turn in the wrong direction. Now, why do I care? (spoilers)

By bbartelt, Oct 11, 2010

I have been a superfan of this series since I stumbled upon my first episdoe.... and from the beginning, Billy and Dee have been the one spot of relative hope. They were the only characters on this show that weren't dirty and broken. They represented hope for the future. And suddenly, in one episode, Dee's involved with Apollo? And and Billy's dead?!? Offing a character is fine and can be revitalizing for a show... but Billy? I'd seriously rather it had been Starbuck or Apollo.

I don't know why I should even care about the people now. Even if they survive the journey.... what's the point? There's no hope for a decent tomorrow. We're left with a future of miserable, broken souls.

Sure, maybe it's realistic... but if I wanted that kind of realism, there's plenty of reality TV available to for my spirit crushing pleasure.

moreless

Ridiculous setup even for a tv melodrama and worst of all they killed off the one non-pompous non-superhero character on the show. Gah!

By krypterian, Jul 13, 2010

Send in the air force pilot to lead a hostage rescue? WTF? The tactics displayed here were ridiculous and the accumulation of coincidences too improbable even for a tv melodrama. What is this, As The World Turns or something? Not only that but the established characters suddenly go off in all kinds of directions: EG, Adama has more concern for a cylon than for three people close to him? Dee is cheating on Billy so egregiously? And Billy dies? The one character that most young people could empathize with, the shy and awkward young man, who wasn't a superhero or gorgeous bimbo or a handsome hunk, gets killed off. Great. I would rather any other character on the show be killed off than Billy. What a shame. The awkward and nonsensical parts of this episode were too many to tolerate, so I'm giving this episode a low, low score.moreless

By Dante_Edy, Jun 11, 2010

***This review details –» this is a "I" perspective, based in what I like and recognize to be good or interesting, this is not a "god" where the guy thinks what he thinks is the true or the "you" perspective where I know what you will like and what you don´t.***

Billy was the only character that could die here, his actions was not only predictable, but I could guess that he was the supposed sacrifice, D was necessary to create the romance between her and Lee, people love to hate someone and Ellen would never die so easily. The situation is very interesting, not the same can be told about the love triangle that was lame. Didn´t expected that Lee would get shot by Kara, interesting how she almost killed the second Adama son.

Presentation Phase - » (8/10) interesting,

Complication Phase - » (9/10) this is a rare, if not a unique situation,

Climax Phase - » (7/10) interesting but at the same time, you can predict who would die,

Ending - » (7/10) sadness, for who cares,

Details/Progress (To point A to B) -» (8/10) all the process was to kill a character,

Time and Scene Management - » (9/10) all the scenes was well managed, little scenes that stretched,

Plot Details/Holes- » (8/10) Bill attitude was too forced and a little dump,

Storyline -» (8/10) interesting but could be better,

Drama - » (9/10) one dead, was sad

Surprises/Shocks/Twists - » (9/10) Lee was shot,

Overall, the situation created in this episode was only made to kill one character, which was predictable and it is not because of this episode title.moreless

Blood to solve it all

By Parricida, Jun 11, 2010

This would definetly go under how not to solve hostage crise - Lee gives them a way in but in the last moment, Starbuck somehow messes it but ok, it was not her fault - shooting Lee - that was.. so, she seems to be very continues in killing Adama's sons.. ok, that was irony and not meant too hard..

I most say I liked the action and the whole dynamic if not think on the story first - the whole triangle of Lee, Billy and Dee was somehow too lame and it was so sure where this episode is going from the beginning. So, no big surprises if not counting Lee getting shot by Starbuck.. that was a shock.. And killing Billy.. After reading why writers did it, I get it.. but to be honest, I think I will miss that char - I would not imagine president without him.. I think we will get used but still... I am always hard taking changes..moreless

Load More Reviews