Scar

Episode Reviews (43)

Great

Scar The Cylon Raider

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 16, 2012

Scar was another perfect and very entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching because the Viper pilots encounter Scar, a crazy Cylon Raider who stalks and destroys. It was fun to watch the action scenes. There was character and plot development. This episode moves every thing along nicely. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!

A bright, shiny future.

By kickdoor, Dec 04, 2010

-Risking being labeled as the the guy with bad taste again, I'm gonna say I liked this one, parts of it anyway. Kind of inevitable since I like Starbuck's character much more than Apollo's, so it stands to reason if I liked his standalone I would like hers as well. Though I will say I hope they're planning something big because one episode like this is character development, two is stalling. And there was even less overall plot development than in Black Market this time around.

-Probably no surprise, but my favorite scenes were dialogue driven dramatic moments. One was Starbuck's scene with Sharon in her cell. I like the idea of Raiders reincarnating just as the humanoid Cylons do and that they would now fear death with no hope of resurrection. Starbuck's looks to Sharon were really good as well, she conveys so much emotion though silent stares. It's one of those small things that really win me over.

-I also enjoyed the scene between Starbuck and Apollo in the mess. Apollo's lines about forgetting the dead pilots' faces were well written and moving, as was Starbuck dealing with the realities of a Viper pilot's life(and lifespan). Though I thought it kind of pushed in to melodrama territory once they were in the bunks.

-I didn't care much for the plot with Cat, as even with the storyline she had in Final Cut, it felt odd to give her so much focus. Just seemed sudden that she's the second best pilot they've got(or potentially the best) when all I really remember about her is that she was a rookie and then couldn't take the pressure and got addicted to stimulants. Granted she's been flying for awhile and she could just be a natural but it would of been nice to showcase that more beforehand. Maybe it's because I'm not crazy about the actress. She does great with scenes in the cockpit, celebrating a kill or that kind of thing, but beyond that she bugs me. It might be me, but it seems like she's always waiting to deliver her next line not really responding to what the other character is saying.

-Scar himself was a somewhat of a disappointment. I absolutely loved the idea of having some one-on-one(or two-on-one) dogfights to provide a nice counterpoint to the large scale battles that are more the norm(not that I don't love those too, but variety is the spice of life after all), but I thought they could have went down better. I think they cut to commercial two or three times on the same scene of Starbuck and Scar playing chicken, so there was definitely a feeling of it getting stretched out. Plus Starbuck yelling taunts took me out of the action/suspense, more the writing I think then the delivery. Starbuck's toast to the dead near the end though was good.

As I said; some good, some bad, but really just making me itch for something "big" to happen.moreless

Much better than "Black Market" and yet i found it strangely annoying at times.

By chappers4949, Oct 11, 2010

This is a bit of a funny episode for me. The previous one, "Black Market," i really disliked because i didn't think it felt like the show i'd grown to love. This one brings us back to the things that Galactica does well, ie Character and Beautiful direction, and yet something simply didn't fit for me.

I think the worst thing for me was the character of Kat. She just really annoyed me. I know the writers have been trying to show how she's become the rival to Starbuck in the last few episodes, but it simply didn't scan for me that she would have the kind of relationship with Starbuck that she did, at least not yet. Also, i didn't buy Starbuck's obsession with Anders. That being said, i didn't buy it in "Home" either, and i know that Ron Moore wanted to build it a bit more but didn't have the time. In this ep though, I don't think enough time had been invested into creating that obession.

However, i did enjoy a lot of the ep. I liked the fact that we just had the pilots, and didn't get overdone with other plot devices. I thought it was shot wonderfully, in particular the briefing room scenes with the flight videos.

My only other gripe: Cavatine from "The Deer Hunter?" Honestly guys.moreless

Scar was an excellent episode.

By csi782, Oct 11, 2010

Scar was an excellent episode and much better than Black Market. This episode deals with Scar, a raider who we come to learn is much like the human cylons in the fact when it dies its mind/memories is transferred to another raider.

The Starbuck/Sharon scene was excellent, and I think Starbuck hasnt forgot their friendship. Also, CAT has no room to talk "stem junkie." We always knew Starbuck liked to drink, but that never got in her way. Until now. She cant help but feel she let Anders down by not returning to Caprica and now he is probably dead.

WHile it was a nice story back then, she needs to move on. I think Lee really cares for her and even loves her(I think he even told her this in one episode.)

Next week looks like it will be another great episode cant wait.moreless

The premise for Scar was terrific, but it was ruined for me by Kat's bitchiness toward Starbuck.

Basically the ep was about the fall from grace of 2 top guns. Scar the Cylons Top Gun and Starbuck the Humans Top Gun.

By annpo, Oct 11, 2010

Katee Sackoff was brilliant and so was Jamie Bamber even though he had a relatively small part in this one (but then, when aren't they? they're both terrifically talented actors).

Scar is the jaded Cylon Top Gun Raider that has been 'resurrected' so many times he's a bit fed up with it (as Sharon explains it)

Starbuck on the other hand is unravelling fast as a consequence of the constant stress of imminent death each time she goes out in her vyper, her survival guilt, and her unresolved feelings for Anders (as contrived a relationship as the present animosity with Kat in my opinion-which begs another question - how come Kat was allowed to fly again after her very recent stim abuse? After all, they aren't as strapped for pilots now that they have the Pegasus in the fleet).

Loved the ending though; that was nice.

What I didn't like was all the animosity coming from Kat.

To say I found her annoying is an understatement.

Her incredible unchecked insubordination was unforgivable and she should have been thrown in the brig the first time she interjected during Starbuck's first briefing in the ep. - "eyeball" indeed.

In fact, while I realize the eps are trying to demonstrate more and more how low morale is sinking within the fleet, that is no excuse for discipline to fall apart on Galactica - and Adm Adama seems to overlook it more and more - witness Lee Adama's increasing insubordination toward Tigh. That's the thing about discipline - no matter what you think of your superiors, you have to bury it, follow orders and salute respectfully. In 'civi street', it's called maturity.

Or maybe I just didn't like anyone being mean to Starbuck (well hey! She is an icon after all:).moreless

Didn't like this episode much...imo even worse than "Black Market"

FEW SPOILERs ALERT

By AmrodLeralonde, Oct 11, 2010

I was expecting something better after "Black Market "(which i thought was the worse episode of the entire saga). Maybe i was expecting too much from this episode, but i honestly got bored while i was watching it. It has not the suspence, the thrilling we are used to see in Battlestar Galactica episodes. It is surely fine to show the feelings of soldiers and civilians survived among humans, but i like it if nested in a more interesting story than the one in "Scar". There's no story development, only things you could expect from Starbuck and Apollo, nothing interesting to see, but then i guess all my disappointment is caused by the fact BSG has shown until now only splendid episodes, so when i get one i don't like i critizite it harshly. I wouldn't have this episode, i'd have probably showed Starbuck's melancholy for Caprica's resistance (and her fleeting flirt back there), but an entire episode concerning it is quite boring in my humble opinion.moreless

This is my first review so I included my initial take on the show and then move into this episode. Scar really sealed the show for me big time.

By hopworks, Jul 01, 2010

I'm relatively new to the whole BSG thing, and I have to admit that as I feverishly catch up through the episodes, I almost pulled the handle on the ejection seat during season one. I was an eager anticipate to the start of this series when I was totally put off by the shaking camera. There was NO WAY I was going to subject myself to that effect that had ruined countless movies and shows for me.

But as with all things of stability, like riding a small boat at sea with high waves, you find your sea legs, and that is exactly what happened for me. Now the show is completely viewable for me and the quality of writing is much better than I would have ever expected.

With that preface out of the way, as this IS my first review ever in this forum, allow me to comment on this incredible episode.

First off, the realism of the effects. Later I'll touch on the character building that this episode contributes to in a major way.

I am a HUGE effects buff. Realism through effects, both computer-generated AND through stage sets, props, and, mechanics is of paramount importance to me. Space based series and movies that have a ship moving around as if wind is guiding their wings in the vacuum of space is an insult to physics and the dream we all wish could be... command of the physics of inertia in space. Well BSG counters that with small jets that counter-act inertia and embrace the full theory of inertia in space and how to fly in it.

If that wasn't ever-present throughout the series before, and it was, it certainly made a huge statement in this episode.

One of the most prominent moments of "Scar" per this venue is the effects of gravitational force on Starbuck in the cockpit of her Viper. The camera is looking up at her from probably her front panel, with the asteroid field as her backdrop. Add to that the super-sharp savvy of the effects editors to make sure the movement of the background outside her cockpit was very much in sync with those head movements. Either Katee Sackhoff has an amazing ability to fake the effects of inertia, or they had a Viper in a studio on hydraulics to simulate the gravitational forces of turning and maneuvering. All this comes together to offer both the obvious and subtle visual acuities to fool your mind into thinking it is real. Some very nice work went into that short segment and fans of this show should be proud and thankful that the producers made such a big deal of this scene. Starbuck goes on to down-play her Viper's damage to some hydraulic systems but is clearly wounded. This above all shows the class and skill of this gifted pilot. Even with diminished capacity as far as maneuverability, her skills still fill the void and offer a chance at success. It doesn't matter at this point as we are clearly aware that she's either going to take this enemy down, or go down doing it.

Now the character building and plot-line repercussions of this episode, in my opinion…

I would have given this episode a 10 as opposed to a 9.5 if it were NOT for a single scene. When Kat strikes Starbuck and then Apollo busts in, Kat retreats like she is wounded, almost frightened as if for her life. Well, there are three explanations for that. Either she really hurt her hand, she's really afraid of Starbuck's retaliation, or she's worried about her flight career striking a superior officer. I felt the reaction was quite a bit overacted. Aside from that though, the friction between Kat and Starbuck is monumental during this episode. Paying homage to the new BSG penance towards depth, realism, and the dark nature these characters are portrayed in, seeing these childhood heroes we had in a more realistically true light is refreshing! Kara Thrace has a drinking problem and real-life repercussions of that vice are exacted on her. I feel them as if she were my best friend. This completely helps identify you with both characters, and then mix in the fact that Kat wants to be all she can be, even better than Starbuck. And then you feel sorrow for Starbuck as if she loses that title as top dog! It's brilliant how that is all woven together! But as with all culinary dishes that are just basic before our Mom tweaks them with more spices, the same happens with this relationship between these two Viper jocks as we see Kara set up a perfect scenario for Kat's kill of Scar. And she sucks it up, not even talking about it, but not without identifying all the pilots Scar has taken out during the celebration. And then again, the writers tie yet another knot in the plotline, coming full circle in a single episode where at first Starbuck could care a less about the name of a fallen pilot's girlfriend to knowing the name of each and every one of them that fell.

And if that isn't enough, we get a feel for what "Scar" is. We already know that the Cylon ships are biological to some point, but then when you identify him much like you would the human models, with the help of whatever version of Sharon is that tells Kara about why he is what he is. At the end of all this character building for what Scar is, we know he is (IT IS) very upset and hates humans as they hate Cylons. "He's filled with rage". Here we are faced with the doors blown WIDE OPEN on how they are self aware, alive, and able to download into another vessel and continue on. And with so many resurrections, so many painful deaths, so many bitter memories, each teaching a lesson as to how to do it better, this Cylon Raider has a purpose like no other in the show.

With his exterior skin pocked and beaten up, he's seen a lot of action in this resurrected life. Labeled a coward, he preys on the weak but we are enlightened via Sharon at the cold hard facts of war. There are no rules, no honor. Take them out one at a time, like sheep! That's what I got from it, and it is BRILLIANT! I mean, the moral gloves came off at the start of this show, with so many deceptive ploys from the Cylons. The promise of peace, here… have some nukes. A distress signal, thanks for coming, here are some rounds in your hull. They have absolutely NO BENEFIT of the morals offered from a developed prefrontal cortex. They are cold, heartless, unfeeling, and lethal. And then we get a Cylon Raider with a definitive developed sense of RAGE against humans. It's oh… so… GOOD!

So the episode has its ups and downs, but the brief period of special effects eye-candy seasoned with some major character development puts me in a position to have no trouble at all giving two solid thumbs-up for this episode.

Thank you for your time!

Hopmoreless

Another episode centered in a character, better than the previous episode.

By Dante_Edy, Jun 09, 2010

***This review details –» this is a "I" perspective, based in what I like and recognize to be good or interesting, this is not a "god" where the guy thinks what he thinks is the true or the "you" perspective where I know what you will like and what you don´t.***

Now it is Starbuck centric episode, after the weak Apollo centric episode, and as everyone can expect, we have good drama. So fast and Kat is already without Starbuck in her way, the best pilot and this was done maybe because the writers tried to create a Storyline and Kat fits very well to be her rival and this show her exactly how she was used to be, because since she left Caprica, she is not the same anymore. This is exactly the structure of this episode from the beginning until the end. The writers decided to mix the Scar in the middle and make us see the side life of the pilots.

Presentation Phase - » (8/10) interesting,

Complication Phase - » (8/10) focused in Starbuck drama,

Climax Phase - » (7/10) the necessary tension and drama,

Ending - » (8/10) great conclusion for Starbuck,

Contrary to the previous episode, the storyline is very good and didn´t notice filler, seems that all the scenes fits well. The progress is the necessary in terms of emotions, reflection and conclusions. The flaw I noticed occurred with her fight with the Scar.

Details/Progress (To point A to B) -» (8/10) the necessary emotional character progress,

Time and Scene Management - » (8/10) filler but fine,

Plot Details/Holes- » (7/10) it is strange how Starbuck without moving to much wasn´t shot by Scar,

Storyline -» (8/10) exactly what I expected from Starbuck drama,

Since this is centered in a character, the drama is high and the tension is good.

Drama - » (9/10) high quality,

Suspense/Tension - » (7/10) not bad,

Another episode centered in a character, better than the previous episode.moreless

Troubles with dead and live..

By Parricida, Dec 18, 2008

So, Starbuck is really messed up and turning the episode we see her really from getting on one point to another - we only have to hope the change is for the better. When Starbuck used to be the best on the square, she has fallen - mostly because she cannot get over the feeling she broke her promise and she cannot let go the things she found in Carpica.. And there is Kat who is ready for competition and has her own fears and problems and they just clash.. on each other..

And ofcourse, there is the Lee thing and somehow this episode is similar to last one - then it was Lee who was really down.. this time Starbuck and I really think they make a good point as Starbuck one moment realized - they won't see the happy ending as they one day just won't come back.. All they have is now.moreless

Episode is a redo "EXACTLY" of an episode from Baa Baa Blacksheep from 1976-78 with Robert Conrad.

Even worse it is remake of ANOTHER Sci-Fi Fighter type show Uh... SPACE ABOVE AND BEYOND!!!

By Mongoose27, Aug 02, 2008

It took me a while to figure out where I had seen this episode before being a TV buff but I finally found it. It was VERY unoriginal. Not up to BSG standards. There is an episode called the "Iceman" from Baa, Baa Blacksheep. Capt. Gutterman is basically Starbuck. The Iceman is Scar. They changed some of the personal aspects of the characters but it is the exact same episode. Including the talking about fallen pilots. Very disappointing.

Chief Tyrol is Sgt. Micklin, it is such a blantant rip off it is not even close to being original on any level. Even Starbuck drinking and challenging Cat in the fighter break room. The same thing when a young pilot (on Baa, Baa Blacksheep) is drinking and talking about "Dutch" who was killed by the Iceman in the opening of the episode. The pilot goes on, just like Starbuck and Cat, commenting on how good the ICEMAN/SCAR is. Starbuck/Capt. Gutterman loses his nerve and is very depressed just like Starbuck at the possibility of facing SCAR/ICEMAN. Scenes where the show the Iceman about go after a respective victim are the same as the scenes of Scar swooping out of the asteroid belt to get unsuspecting Viper pilots.

They even stole it from another GREAT Sci Fi Space Show with Fighters. Space Above and Beyond. The episode is called The Angriest Angel. There is Enemy fighter that has been shooting down pilots and is seemingly invincible. They call him "Chiggy von Richthofen" after Baron Von Richthofen aka The Red Baron. Again this episode may be good to some but it is not original in the least. They should have just copy and pasted it from a word doc!!!moreless

Load More Reviews