Sine Qua Non

Episode Reviews (27)

Great

Sine Qua Non

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 23, 2012

Sine Qua Non was a perfect and entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was good political intrigue, changes of authority and lots of great character development and story progression. It was great to see Romo Lampkin once again, and it was cool to see who he came up with for the new President. There is change in the air, and some are nervous with the outcome. I know that I certainly can't wait to watch the next episode to see what happens!!!!!!!!!moreless

Amazing series, another amazing episode

By pooface9, Sep 06, 2011

While it may not be the best episode, there is no worst episode...They are all 10's. How dare anyone give this series below a 10?!

Fact: BSG is amazing in every way possible. There is not much else to say. Why do they make you write 100 words for the reviews? I will just have to fill it up, then:

! ! ! B A T T L E S T A R G A L A C T I C A I S T H E B E S T S H O W E V E R ! ! !moreless

Some unexpected turns with quite expected turns

By Parricida, Sep 06, 2011

This episode was in some ways a shocker - first that guy with dark sunglasses - it was quite sure he was little crazy but when he takes an aim on Lee.. and his all talk.. that was just.. and then - I think it was Tyrol who once wondered will there be anyone else leading that ship whose last name isn't Adama.. - and yes.. Tigh takes it after Adama decides to stand behind and the way he needed this to realize.. that was amazing.

And ofcourse - the whole political mess they are now in as president is missing. Adama refuses to talk with Zarek and to be honest, I got him but you have to say - he is a changed man - not the one we knew in season one.. And that was not shocking that in the end, they decided to have Lee as president.moreless

The fleet's side of what happens after the rebel cylon baseship jumps away. Some key questions: who's in charge of the civilian govt and what will Adama do in response to Roslin disappearing.

By scififan12921, Sep 06, 2011

While overall I didn't find this to be one of the best episodes I found some aspects interesting.

Romo pointing out to Lee that he really does strive for power and control, he just goes about it in a different way. He is patient and sets himself to be the best answer to a problem.

Adama-we learn that there is one thing that will keep him from putting duty first and that's his love for Roslin. He backed down and would've left when Starbuck was lost in " you can't go home again". Here he gives up command to go sit in a raptor and wait for the baseship to return. He has basically told everyone his one true weakness, let's see if it comes back to bite him!

Romo backstory filled in some, I think Lee related to him because he also had regrets about someone he left behind.(see Black Market)moreless

Not quite as painful as the Woman King, but pretty frakkin' close.....

By paprika_9, Jul 29, 2010

I was hoping that the return of Romo Lampkin would mean all sorts of fun creepy wackiness. But no. All we got out Romo was lots of pointless angst and a dead cat. And what the hell was up with the dead cat anyways? And after Romo totally loses his mind and tries to shoot Lee(land), they reward him by giving him a dog? Hel-LO?!? Dead cat in duffle bag?!? Romo's gone bye-bye, Egon. Not the time to give him another pet to kill. And you just KNEW that TPTB were going to make Lee(land) president. Admit it, people. You knew this as soon as he resigned from the fleet and went to work for the Quorum of Useless Whining. I'm already bored.

The only cool moment in the entire episode was the Admiral and Col. Saul MF Tigh beating the crap out of each other and then discussing their female problems over the shattered (again) remains of the boat. Old people are so cute! And then that last scene between the two of them again at the end where Bill turned the fleet over to Tigh, and the look on Tigh's face (heh!). I totally squeed when Adama walked out and got into the raptor in his old flight suit and resumed his old call-sign of "Husker". EJO is my Yoda.moreless

Whats with all the haters?!?

By GavinGibbons, Jun 08, 2008

Can't understand why so many people have given this a low rating! I thought it was well written, and very clever. After the ship containing Roslin, Helo and Baltar jumps away unexpectedly Lee (Apollo) and Zarek come to a logger head over the vacant presidancy. After finally Deciding that a new canidate needs to be elected as temp president Apollo looks to Romo Lampkin to help him find a suitable candidate. After some back and forth words and action and some clever camera angles with Lampkin, Lampkin comes to the decision that Lee is the only suitable candidate. Look for Lampkins "black bag" in every scene he is in and you'll understand why the camera angles are clever. Mean while it is revealed that the 6 on BSG is pregnant and upset with losing Roslin, Adama decides to go looking for her on a suicide mission!moreless

Why has everyone become so indecisive? Why doesn't anyone make a decision and move on? Every thing is kind of vague and blurred. I love BSG (see below). Cruel to be kind. There's not long left to get back on the road to glory. SH.

By T150662, Jun 08, 2008

Don't know how many episodes are left but series four is definitely a cross between 'The Emperor's New Clothes' and treading water. Nothing is happening. It's geting to the stage where we don't care what happens to anyone - we just want to fast forward to the final episode and save us the pain of sitting through each week hoping for a scene where the script actually furthers the storyline. I could go on. It's like having your 20 year old daughter at university and packing it all in to go and live with Stephen Hawking. All the ingredients are there, genius, beauty, intelligence, foresight.......but....you'd rather your daughter stay on and do what she was doing. She didn't need the Professor. Bit deep I know but someone had to say it. SH.moreless

Too much ambition in this episode, which is written artlessly.

By buffyg, Jun 07, 2008

Something's wrong when you have to explain your title in a plainly didactic style.

A lot seems to happen in this episode, but to my viewing, it doesn't really happen. Big changes for Lee, but this gets compressed into an exchange with a gun and some raspy raised voices? Please. This is a really poor use of Romo. The fist fight doesn't seem to work either to resolve another significant development.

The only really great moment in this episode in this episode in the look on Tigh's face when Adama, behind him, says "You're not the same man who came back from New Caprica. You've found out a lot about yourself."

It's not complete garbage, but it's well below the standard set in the rest of the season.moreless

An unusual episode misses the mark

By entil2001, Jun 02, 2008

Now that the introductory phase is well and truly over, complication must inevitably settle in, tossing pieces around the board in a seemingly random fashion. One problem with a deeply serialized format, particularly when a roadmap to resolution has been set, is filling in the blanks in sufficient depth. Motivations need to be established, and they must be tenable.

This episode, on the surface, is a bit boring and pretentious, and there will be a number of fans declaring it "horrible" or "filler" as a result. Some of that is a reaction to the approach, not the content. The content itself is grounded convincingly in the continuity of the series, even in instances where it doesn't seem to be the case.

Zarek has always been a dangerous figure, a political rival to Roslin with complex subversive motives. This makes him a fun character to have around, but in realistic terms, not someone that should necessarily be in the presidential role. It's not surprising that Adama would stonewall Zarek and push him out of favor, denying the Quorum any cooperation while he stands in Roslin's place. What is surprising is how well Zarek takes that opposition.

Perhaps Zarek saw where the wind was blowing, and recognized that he would have someone more pliant to his manipulations in Lee Adama. I noted in an earlier review that Zarek seemed to be grooming Lee for this role, and sure enough, now he's President Adama. His entire personality fits into the prototypical and idealistic notion of what a president should be, after all, and the writers spend a great deal of time making that case.

Oddly, they use Romo Lampkin as the messenger to the audience, and for the most part, it works. Lampkin was an interesting mentor to Lee already, so why not continue in that fashion? He's also a bit mad, so there's always a question of where the demented brilliance ends and the madness begins. The bit with the cat doesn't quite add up, but it does play well with Lampkin's style of manipulation. Forcing Lee to recognize and justify his fitness as president under gunpoint doesn't seem all that outlandish for him!

So generally speaking, while Lee continues to be a bland character (even when striking a supermodel pose in red civilian threads), his character progression fits what has come before. The same is true for Adama, though the writers seem to take his personal quest to retrieve Roslin over the line of rationality.

That Adama would risk everything, including the fleet, to find someone he loves is not in question. This is the same Adama who would not give up on Kara in "You Can't Go Home Again", and that Adama will do nearly anything. It's incredibly dangerous to have a military commander with such attachments, but under the circumstances, other options simply don't exist. Which is why, in the end, it's so interesting to think of Adama setting forth on this personal quest. He continues to risk, but he's decided not to risk everyone else in the process.

Of course, that's from his point of view; in reality, he's just placed a Cylon in control of the entire fleet (and one with an admitted history of bad command decisions). Things seem on the verge of going horribly, horribly wrong without Roslin and Adama at the helm, and yet that may be deceptive. Lee is far more likely to listen when it comes to the idea of accord with the Cylons, and this new responsibility might finally push Tigh out of his post-revelatory funk.

That said, did Adama need to resign to make this story work? I'm not sure that it was necessary, because he could have placed Tigh in charge without the additional drama. Much like the over-the-top farewell for Lee earlier in the season, it seems like the writers elected to skip the subdued approach and went for the overkill. It was particularly odd with respect to their previous argument (and fistfight) regarding Caprica Six.

Tigh's relationship with Caprica Six continues to be an odd plot point. I'm not sure that I'm sold on the idea just yet, but it's clear that this situation is meant to distinguish the known Cylons from the Final Five in a fundamental way. This must be true, because the known Cylons were unable to reproduce; that was one key component of why they had to keep some of Humanity alive. Without that factor, the Cylons could feel justified in wiping out the rest of the Colonials.

On the other hand, if my theory regarding the origins of the Final Five are correct, then Tigh's ability to impregnate Caprica Six makes sense. According to the theory, the Final Five are more software than hardware, a kind of genetic meme seeded within Humanity in each new turn of the wheel. If so, then Tigh has the right biology, since he is effective what is meant to be created. (This also means that the Final Five could, potentially, have origins older than the previous cycle.)

The main issue with this episode is not necessarily what happens, but how far the writers went to justify those choices. I personally think they oversold some of the plot turns, making them feel forced and unnatural, where a more subtle approach would have been in keeping with what has been seen. With this being the final season, and with expectations so high, maybe it's a product of a desire to make every moment count.moreless

Load More Reviews