Six Degrees of Separation

Episode Reviews (22)

Superb

Is all in his mind?

By NormanSFletcher, Jul 17, 2013

A really great episode. The best part of the episode was the relationship between Baltar and the Cylon. How she came to be real, and seen by the other members of the crew, and disappeared as quickly? What were the motives for what happened, and why does she insist on talking about God all the time? Why does she have such a strong belief in God, or is it all part of a plot? I like Baltar but I find his whole addiction to sleeping with the Cylon strange, as he seems to be very good at rationalizing, but perhaps it is all part of the mental breakdown he appears to be going through, as he seems to exist in two realities. I was really pleased with the episode and again can't wait for the next installment!moreless

Six Degrees of Separation

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 12, 2012

Six Degrees of Separation was amazing and very entertaining. This episode was filled with superb character development and it was fun to watch the drama play out. It was funny when the Six model posing as Shelly confronted Baltar and he thought she was just in his mind. This was an intense episode with a lot of depth and really makes viewers think about some things. Helo and Sharon are still surviving on Caprica as the Cylons watch them. I liked the suspense and the bold style of this episode and the series in general. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!moreless

The one where: they can all see her!

By MovieMark, Sep 21, 2011

Battlestar Galactica isn't particularly known for belly laughs, but this episode is as close as the show will come to a full-on comedy episode. In no small part due to Gaius Baltar, such a hoot of a character, played wonderfully by the very talented James Callis. The script is filled with cracking one-liners and sight gags, and James' delivery is next to none.

So what is Head-Six exactly? Is Gaius a Cylon and she's a sort of sexy-as-hell mainframe dishing out orders to him? Or is she some sort of Angel? Excuse me: some sort of sexy-as-hell angel. And what did happen to Shelly? I am very much intrigued by all of these sexy-as-hell questions!

There are quite a few stand-out moments here. From the dramatic (President Roslin coldly – and rightfully – accusing Baltar of having direct connections, in some shape or form, to the holocaust) to the wildly hilarious (Gaius trying to have a chat with Gaeta whilst he's on the loo). There's a great balance of genres here, and Gaius' attempts at putting out fires adds a great deal of energy to what is a very dialogue-driven episode.

Spoilerish Title Sequence: 6mins and 25secs into the episode.

Frak-O-Meter: 3 fraks. ''Frak you'' being my favourite.

Cylon Sex: Did anyone else need a cold shower after this one? When wasn't head-Six taking her clothes off? I mean, I'm sure she had clothes on at some point, but I can't remember anything before she stripped down to her high-heels. I'd certainly commit to her ''One True God'' if it meant coming home to that every day. Sharon and Helo also make with the pelvic thrusts. And, boy, if I had a dollar for everytime someone's spine started glowing when making with the sex. I'd be OBSCENELY wealthy right now. And can we count Boomer feeling up the raider as sexual? She definitely had her sexy voice going on. And there was a lot of touching. AND tyrol mentions to Starbuck, ''if you don't mind getting girl goo on your face'' in relation to the raider. Very subtle, you guys. I'll be in my bunk.

Spot the six: Head-Six...naked. I just thought you should know had you skipped the paragraph above. She also pops up as Shelly Godfrey, where everyone can see her. I think that was a Six, right? CONFUSED.

Death/Injuries: The reaper was kind this time.

Boomer or Sharon?: Sharon wins out for her spine-glowing awesomeness.

Ships Lost: Not a scratch to be seen.

Battlestar Bleakness: Nothing too serious here, but I got a kick out of the budding bromance between Gaeta and Gaius. I just wanted to add that somewhere.

A ton of great character moments this week, especially for Gaius. And Tricia Helfer gives a pretty darn good performance as Shelly. She's also naked in this episode. Good times.moreless

"...I find really interesting and something I certainly didn't expect to see in a show like this. It really adds a whole new dynamic." SPOILERS

By tiewashere, Mar 03, 2011

Something I certainly began to pick up on in this episode was the idea that the cylons worship one God while the humans worship multiple (I think two, one male and one female) that I find really interesting and something I certainly didn't expect to see in a show like this. It really adds a whole new dynamic. If the cylons are machines, why do they worship a God? Wouldn't they have to be programmed to worship a God? Really gets me thinking. The main point of the episode, for me, was to show that Six can project herself out of Baltar's head, or at least that's what it looks like. I'm very intrigued. What was the point of the president collapsing? Was it only used for suspense or will this have a further meaning? One of the theories I began having was that when we see Boomer petting talking to the Cylon Raider and no one else really has that connection besides Starbuck. Starbuck is the only other person that can make the ship fly. Is she a Cylon, perhaps? The one thing that really took me out of the story and just screamed bad writing was when Six said you can "enlarge and sharpen" the image. It is impossible to do that with a digital image and I am happy that the picture wasn't some game changing event in the series and it was revealed it was fake. I would have been very upset otherwise. I loved the sex scene between Helo and Boomer while the Boomer on Galactica found "cylon" written on her mirror. 9.0/10moreless

A need to tempt fate.

By kickdoor, Nov 07, 2010

Baltar's chickens coming home to roost made for a good storyline and I loved his conversation with Six in the cold open. If there's one emotion James Callis seems to excel at portraying it's fear. So I enjoyed watching Six once again try to force him to find god and the idea in general of the Cylons worshiping one god while humanity worships the Greek gods is one of my favorite aspects of the series. The only thing I couldn't figure out was why she tipped her hand with Cdr. Adama by putting the moves on him?

Sharon's scene with the Raider was done perfectly, and her eerie connection, or fondness really, for it definitely left me wondering how much of her Cylon-self is coming to the surface now that she doubts her own humanity.

Sharon's Caprica-bound copy's scenes were very revealing and seemed to confirm what I had been thinking. Basically that the Cylon's want to bear children and need humans to do it, or at least think they do. I thought at first it might just be love they were after, but Six's comment in an earlier episode that procreation was one of god's commandments and now Sharon sleeping with Helo, seems to imply they're after more. It would also explain why the Cylons haven't completely destroyed the fleet yet, which it has seemed, to me at least, they were more than capable of doing.

I liked the advances to the overall plot and the individual story line for the episode(which wasn't really all that stand alone anyway).moreless

An overall good episode is ruined by a ridiculous contradictory plot device.

By thazrite, May 22, 2010

I enjoyed this episode. I especially enjoyed Baltar walking into the room, not knowing everyone else can see #6. However I find it extremely difficult to look past a silly bit of plot short-cutting that was basically the nucleus of the whole episode.

We are all aware that Cylons can take human form. So then how is a video of someone doing something even credible at this point? And, if you were Baltar, wouldn't your first response to this *proof* be to say "It's not me, it must be a Cylon! I mean, remember how they can look like humans now??". ESPECIALLY when the tape is supposed to be of someone taking a bomb into a defense mainframe or whatever, which helps the Cylons directly.

I just couldn't really understand how this massive continuity error could have seen the light of day. Change the *proof* from a video to something else, and my opinion of the episode changes dramatically.moreless

Just entertaining.

By Dante_Edy, May 12, 2010

***This review details –» this is a "I" perspective, based in what I like and recognize to be good or interesting, this is not a "god" where the guy thinks what he thinks is the true or the "you" perspective where I know what you will like and what you don´t.***

I didn´t expected that this episode would be so interesting, if there is anything I like to see in a show is a plot that is being delayed been addressed, this make things interesting, because of the delay, I put more value in the Gaius traitor plot and President illness. Gaius supposed betrayal is very well explored and I didn´t expected that his Cylon lover would appear in this episode also and incriminate him.

However, since this is not the season finale, I expected that Gaius plot was only an exploration and nothing more than that. It´s sad, because this was entertaining but the conclusion was disappointing for me, seemed like the writers are kidding with the audience. I mean, I could she escape from the guards, I just seems too convenient for the plot-

Karl scenes continue in the same spot, the payoff is far from happening, since he just was being manipulated, for a mysterious purpose.

Presentation Phase - » (10/10), perfect introduction,

Complication Phase - » (8/10) Gaius in trouble, seemed interesting,

Climax Phase - » (7/10) good drama, but repetitive,

Ending - » (710), Disappointment, but had a good point,

Details/Progress (To point A to B) -» (6/10) not a progress, it´s like nothing happened,

Time and Scene Management - » (14/20) It´s hard to say this was a filler episode, but the exploration was good.

Plot Details/Holes- » (10/10) Fine,

Storyline -» (9/10) Interesting and well explored plot,

Drama - » (7/10) Gaius and his usual drama,

Just entertaining.moreless

I really did enjoy this episode, but found the action and/or pace a bit stilted, when compared to previous episodes. A couple (very minor) flaws were evident, in my humble opinion...

By danjf1, Nov 17, 2009

I really did enjoy this episode, but found the action and/or pace a bit lacking or stilted, when compared to previous episodes. Of course this is an ongoing series, but I thought that the scene with the collapse of President Laura Roslin (and subsequent follow-up scenes)while on the phone with Dr. Gaius Baltar was not deep enough, for my taste. I thought there should have been a bit more substance to that particular scene - either beef it up with more dialogue, or wait until the next episode to elaborate a bit more. It's really a minor issue. As are the issues I have with this episode (Episode 7 - Six Degrees of Separation); minor tweaks - no glaring issues noted, at least to my eyes. The other thing I noticed, in terms of plausibility, was the disappearance of Six. "...she turned the corner, and was gone..." With a range of non-networked security apparatus (and personnel) at their disposal, it seems odd that Six isn't picked up on camera or IR. Maybe we'll find out in the coming episode(s) as to her/it's fate.

One really creepy scene is the scene with Lt. Sharon "Boomer" Valerii (played by the beautiful and very talented Grace Park), where she's caressing the Cylon spacecraft (the Raider)that Starbuck flew back to the BSG in episode 6 (Litmus), and talking about it (it seems) in terms of a lovable, faithful pet: "It's not really a thing, y'know? It's probably a Cylon itself. More of an animal, maybe, than the human models. Maybe they genetically design it to perform a task. To be a fighter. [You] can't treat it like a thing and expect it to respond. [You] have to treat it like... a pet. At least that's my guess." Good guess; Sit Rover! Sit!

I had mentioned earlier in my summary about the action being a bit slow. I didn't have the sense, as in previous episodes, of the breakneck in-your-face action sequences. I know that having a major action plot in every episode is unrealistic - harmful even. I didn't want action for action's sake, but would like to have seen just a little more "action", to spice up (or connect) the slower scenes together. Just a minor point really.

All-in-all I enjoyed this episode, despite (just) a few very minor flaws - I don't know if I would even call them "flaws" - maybe a blemish is a better term. It was well shot, acted, and put together; it got me wanting to get to the next episode. Well done!moreless

There are so many things to love about this episode

By SebastianHaff, Aug 01, 2009

Where do I start with this gem of an episode?

Well with Baltar, the star of the show. This episode really shows off James Callis' superb acting ability. He combines the impending doom of Baltar with his established eccentric nature and, particularly in this episode, lots of humour. And he pulls it off brilliantly. The humour is very well played because it doesn't make BSG seem cheesy, or ruin the tension, and that is definitely down to Callis' delivery and his chemistry with the rest of the cast.

I particularly loved when he comes into CIC, and Shelley Godfrey is there. The whole scene where he thinks they can't see her, but they can, is priceless. It's also interesting to see Baltar's building strange friendship with Gaeta. Maybe for every comedian you need a straight man.

I really enjoyed the whole story of the fake photos, his predicament and the ensuing discovery that it's a fake. It’s also interesting how Roslyn is rather two-faced, and she’s suddenly all friends with him again... not that that'll last for long.

I thought Shelley was great, and added a new dimension to the Sixes. Totally loved when she overplayed the scene with Adama, and the small touch of the glasses left behind.

I thought it was nice that we got to explore the Raider some more, and Boomer's strange reactions to it. Surely she's setting off some alarm bells? Well maybe she is. Who did write Cylon on her mirror? Her split personality, or someone who suspects?

Meanwhile the other Sharon is busy getting groiny with Helo (and naked Helo is always welcome). Both Sharon stories continue to build, and both will have huge ramifications for the story to come.

All in all a fantastic episode, with fantastic stories and fantastic character scenes.moreless

Baltar's head friend comes to life as he denounces God. His head friend, though, tries to expose Baltar for what he did back in the miniseries. Baltar will then stop at nothing to fabricate his innocence!

By benboy606, Apr 06, 2009

Awesome? Why, yes, awesome. This episode is brilliant! I love Baltar, and this episode showcases him in a way that hasn't been done before in this series. It's hilarious, intriguing, and the God concept is very interesting. It has many iconic moments, and scenes, in my view. Shelly Godfrey, one of the many mysteries. Thinking of her name, is it much of a coincidence. God-free. Isn't that why Baltar was in this situation? Because he didn't believe in God? Clever title. Gaeta's scenes were great, ESPECIALLY the scene in the bathroom. I was laughing so hard; brilliant. The whole story with Baltar trying to prove his innocence was great, and Roslin's line, "May the gods have mercy on your soul" was chilling. The end was just brilliant. Shelly Godfrey just...disappears. I got chills in the last five minutes. The very end, with a naked Six walking away, and Baltar following her is one of the most iconic Baltar scenes ever, in my opinion. The music and the images and the lighting...I got chills. Amazing episode. 9.5/10 or an A. If I love it so much, why does it not get a 10? Because it's not a masterpiece. It's not something new. It's not artistically brilliant. But it's fun. It's interesting. It's one of my favorite episodes, simply because of it being funny, intriguing, character-based, awesome story, etc. It isn't that deep like other episodes, but it's just an honest good story executed brilliantly. Long live BSG!moreless

Load More Reviews