The Captain's Hand

Episode Reviews (34)

Superb

Good, But......

By jeremybarger1, Jun 06, 2014

But how in the hell is "eve" part of the word "receive" unless you're spelling it wrong? Pretty sloppy. They could have done a LOT better with that.

LEE AND DEE WHAT WHAT WHAT??????

By Starpollo, Jul 29, 2013

Excellent episode. I absolutely loved the Cylon battle and the way Garner had to save the ship.

The abortion storyline was perfection, a brilliant political issue to put Baltar in the presidential race.

But, let me just say, Dualla and Apollo DO NOT WORK. It's blindingly obvious how entwined Starbuck and Apollo's souls are... they are absolutely meant to be together. Just look at their final scene. That scene was beautiful. Beautiful. If this wooden relationship with Dualla continues and Starbuck and Apollo do not end up together... I will die!!! but the writers still have two full series to sort it out, don't give up hope!

STARPOLLO FOREVER!!!!!!!moreless

The Captain's Hand

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 16, 2012

The Captain's Hand was another perfectly entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of action, drama and character development. It was interesting to see Garner in command and how much he disliked Apollo and Starbuck, though in the end he came through for the Pegasus. The space battle scenes were awesome with the Cylon Base ships and Pegasus. It was touching when Admiral Adama promoted Apollow to Commander. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!moreless

Great episode.

By sfviewer, Mar 14, 2011

Starbuck and Apollo are now assigned at the Pegasus under the command of an inexperienced commander. Things are routine aboard the Pegasus until two raptors go missing. The inexperienced commander orders Pegasus to rescue the missing raptors only to find themselves in a middle of a cylon trap. Apollo rises on the occassion and saves the day aboard the Pegasus. This is perhaps a pivotal episode for Battlestar, the action scenes were awesome, the effects were mind blowing. The writers made this episode very watchable and exciting. I really had a good time watching it. This is one awesome episode.moreless

Asylum.

By kickdoor, Dec 08, 2010

Well, I quite enjoyed that, another mostly standalone episode but still very entertaining and there were a couple major advancements to the running plot.

I kept flip-flopping on what I thought of Roslin's decision to outlaw abortion, at first I was pissed, then I felt for her, then I was pissed again. Went back and forth like that for awhile. Either way I knew after the first time watching that I enjoyed the plot, as it provided a nice dramatic counterpoint to the action and suspense of the Pegasus storyline. I would have loved for this to have been the final straw so I could right her character off completely and under any other circumstances besides extinction of the human race, I would've been(and stayed) furious at her. But if I can truly believe Baltar's numbers, than I can't help but agree it's a necessary evil. Then there's the fact that Adama was the one to really put the idea out there, plus Roslin was clearly struggling with the decision. So in the end I think I might just have gained some respect for her because she had to make such a difficult decision and one I would have had to agree with. I was definitely behind her(if only for the rest of the scene) after her line to the Geminiese delegate, in fact I think it was the first time I really felt like applauding Roslin. The vehemence of her words(and eyes) was intense.

Roslin: "You have your pound of flesh and I suggest you take your victory and you move on."

Baltar seizing the opportunity to break stride with Roslin and announce his candidacy was a nice reminder that he's definitely back to his old, snake-in-the-grass self(not that the nuke didn't help to bring that point home). It almost makes me feel bad how behind him I would've been just a short while ago, and that it wouldn't have just been from a dislike of Roslin. He's so charismatic and I like his character so much that it's easy to forget that self preservation(or even worse, his own happiness) is always his number one priority(See 33), and I can only imagine how that would impact his decisions if he became president.

I liked the plot involving the Cylon's phony distress call, some of the scenes almost had a sci-fi horror feel to them. Especially the scene with the two intact Raptor's occupants all dead. The mystery of what actually happened to them combined with the reveal of the Cylon trap had me on the edge of my seat. The suspense built up nicely throughout and led to another intense firefight. I liked getting to see the Pegasus in action again. Aesthetically speaking I actually prefer it to the Galactica(call me crazy), I think it's much more aggressive looking on the exterior(which makes sense considering the storyline had it as the "evil" Battlestar), whereas Galactica seems more defensive.

I thought Garner's "Damn the torpedoes!" attitude made for some interesting scenes between him and Apollo. Though his voice sounded like it had been recorded to cassette and played back at increased speed. Apollo's scenes in the CIC played well with the firefight happening outside and Garner sacrificing his life down below(though that was a little hokey), combined they made for some entertaining moments. I like Apollo taking command of the Pegasus, if only because it finally means there is someone running it that Adama can trust(I hope).

A good mix of drama, action, and suspense.moreless

Finally, the cylons are back.

By csi782, Oct 11, 2010

Finally, battle sequences with the cylons. I would have given this episode a 10 but the first couple of minutes made me sick. I just wanted to turn the channel when I saw Lee and Dualla together. They do not work. Baltar and Six are back even though for a short while. Their performances as always were excellent. With the exception of Cain, how did any of its recent commanders even get the chance to command. They were complete idiots with the last one almost causing the death of everyone on the Pegasus. For a moment when command was relinqueshed to Lee so Garner could get the FTL drive on line, he looked like he was in shock and didnt know what to do. BUt after assessing the situation, Lee really shined.

Thank God Lee was given permanant command of the Pegasus. Hopefully, that will keep him and Dualla apart. Also, the final scene with Lee and Starbuck was very touching and I think needed to mend their relationship after averything that has happend recently.moreless

This made up for the last few lacklustre eps.

Apollo and Starbuck have mended their fences with each other.

The Pegasus is still a paranoid thorn in Galactica's side. But things are looking up.

By annpo, Oct 11, 2010

This ep was action packed.

Pegasus lost a couple of Raptors. Which the new Captain of the Pegasus promptly blamed Starbuck for - and we got a little more insight that I wanted on what is arguably the most chemistry free couple ever to appear on TV.

I'm not at all convinced about this new relationship between Apollo and Dualla (they are a truly boring couple) so when we got a look at them in a rack together it was certainly the calm before the storm.

We did however learn that Apollo had been promoted to Major.

Then it started to pick up.

The Beasts new Captain ran a close tie with Col Tigh (no pun intended) as the most inept person to ever take command - of anything!

Starbuck and Apollo finally seemed to make their peace after a fairly rocky season, and while he was on a role Apollo took the prize for the fastest rise up the promotional ladder in the history of the colonial fleet.

Captain through Major to Commander of his own ship in a few days. Not too shabby at all.

Despite my flippancy, there were some terrifically dramatic moments throughout, not the least of which was the matter of the Geminon stowaway who came to Galactica for an abortion, Roslin's criminalisation of abortion, and Baltar throwing his hat in the ring in the upcoming Presidential elections. Oh, and the Pegasus Captain redeeming himself somewhat by dying while performing an heroic act.

All in all, I think this was about the best ep since Resurrection Ship, despite the aforementioned appearance of the most boring couple :)

moreless

By Dante_Edy, Jun 12, 2010

***This review details –» this is a "I" perspective, based in what I like and recognize to be good or interesting, this is not a "god" where the guy thinks what he thinks is the true or the "you" perspective where I know what you will like and what you don´t.***

It seems that this episode focus is about Lee again, but contrary to his last centered episode, this one really rocks. This simple Storyline begins simple and through the episode the development is really superb, full of action and a great closure.

Presentation Phase - » (8/10) interesting,

Complication Phase - » (9/10) this story development is great,

Climax Phase - » (9/10) high tension, action and great effects,

Ending - » (9/10) the closure couldn´t be better, but of course, making Lee a commander was forced.

Details/Progress (To point A to B) -» (9/10) this story gets to the point,

Time and Scene Management - » (10/10) even if it is filler, almost all the scenes were well done and managed, rare,

Plot Details/Holes- » (9/10) almost fine, didn´t buy the fact that the commander was the only option to go there, but I understand, is because of the plot.

Storyline -» (9/10) beautiful,

Drama - » (8/10) good points and light drama,

Action -» (9/10) there is a part full of actions and beautiful effects,

Great Improvement compared with the last 4 episodes, even if this episode is filler by 80%.moreless

A episode with everything

By Parricida, Jun 12, 2010

I really liked it - it was the full package with it's best. We have Lee, overcoming his shooting and now he is going on Pegasus to sort out some problems - and main one is Starbuck who is mad to the world again and with everyone - and mainly it looks it is about Lee and that he cannot stand that engineer in the front of the fleet, but there are some more.

So we have some drama and emotions but even more - we have action, great battles, visual effects and great story. And we have the president's election question and I think we all knew where it is coming - Gaius does whatever he is told and president has an worthy opponent to stand against.moreless

Action and More Action.

By kingrich06, Jun 24, 2008

This episode is about leadership. Its hard to believe in the course of only a half a dozen or so episodes we see four command changes in the captaincy of the Battlestar Pegasus. We get to see so many different command style and judgments that affect not only the crew but to the rest of the fleet. In this episode we get to see how a commander that only see things that are black and white, on or off, yes or no. Once again we see lack of command discipline not only in the ranks but from the higher echelons. We also get to see a lot more of the rivalry between the two battlestars. Ultimately we get to see Admiral Adama make the moves that everyone watching is expecting.moreless

Load More Reviews