The Hub

Episode Reviews (23)

Superb

The Hub

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 24, 2012

The Hub was a spectacular episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of character and plot development as President Roslin continues to try talking with the Hybrid, who keeps jumping, and Baltar goes through a lot. Lee Adama is now acting President and has to deal with the responsibility. The space scenes were really cool, and it was great to see D'Anna reactivated. I liked when she crushed Cavil after discussing the destruction of the resurrection hub. Admiral Adama gives his command to Tigh so that he may stay behind and wait for Roslin, and in the end she does come back and it was very touching. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!moreless

'There was this dog see and the master had placed a bit of food on the edge of it's snout and the dog had to wait until he was told he could eat it'

By AegisAtreyu, Sep 06, 2011

After last episode which gave us an important episode in the form of messy filler material we finally get back to events with Laura Roslin, and thank the gods its a good and meaningful episode.

Trapped on the Cylon base star the hybrid jumps towards the resurrection hub and the opposing Cylon fleet. While in hyperspace Laura receives visions about her death and the fact that she has closed herself off. Her spirit guide Priestess Elosha even says to her 'You don't love people!'. Meanwhile D'Anna (Cylon model no.3) is brought online and the fleet gathered on Roslins base star set out to retrieve her.

What I loved about this episode is that 2 of the best actors on the show worked together again. Roslin and Gaius Baltar were both great in this episode especially when Baltar tries to preach about slavery to a Centurion. His story about the dog doesn't just seem to apply to slavery either as Roslin is clearly waiting for an instruction to lead her as well. It's an intriguing allegory.

When he tells Roslin in his wounded state that he gave the Cylon's the access codes, and she reacts by removing his bandages and letting him bleed it was nail biting to watch. I really prayed that she wouldn't let him die although felt that it might actually happen. Thankfully she had a change of heart thanks to Elosha.

The re-introduction of D'Anna was well played as well - killing Cavill and not trusting anyone. Although her nasty trick at the expense of the audience in saying to Roslin that she was one of the final five then cheekily retracting it was cruel.

There is so much more in this episode including the beautiful explosion caused by the destruction of the Resurrection Hub but the ending is the most important thing as Roslin is re-united with Adama and admits to him that she loves him. His reaction 'about time' sums it up so much and then the kiss on the forehead was so sweet.moreless

This episode is about the discovery of who we want to be; about the distance between who we are, and who we will one day be.

By donelson, Dec 12, 2010

An episode about how we achieve humanity, and how we often go wrong. The direction, writing and acting is flawless. I was in tears on four occasions, feeling the yearning of all the characters to be better than they are, stumbling and blind, seeking the sun.

The agonizing confession of Baltar, the redemption of Roslin, the courage of Athena, the pain of Helo, the resolution of D'Anna, the steadfastness of Adama, and the loss of immortality.

This is truly the finest episode of an extraordinary TV series.

Don't worry if it's been a while, go back and watch this episode, then watch it again.moreless

BSG continues to deliver quality drama (contains spoilers)

By tripwire73, Nov 12, 2010

I'm beginning to wonder if BSG is becoming more resonant because we know the end is near. Maybe I'm just savouring what's left as we know our time with the show is nearly over, but BSG continues to deliver some great episodes, and I know I'll miss it when it's gone. Things coming to an end is a theme that echoes through the episode.

An end to Adama's unrequited love for Roslin, An end to the incarceration of D'Anna, An end to resurrection, and of course flash-forwards to the inevitable end to Roslin's life. There's even the end to Baltar's secret that he unknowingly provided the Cylons with the ability to destroy the colonies.

And yet, while I'm sure the most hardened cynic could write off the episode as one that wraps up several plot threads, BSG has delivered one of the best episodes in the season which almost feels like we've reached the moment of calm before we're thrown headlong into the consequences and culmination of what has gone before.

As I frequently say to friends who are not sci-fi fans, BSG isn't sci-fi, it's drama, whcih just happens to be in a sci-fi setting, and it's episodes such as this which make me feel that BSG always deserved better recognition.moreless

A major way to level the playfield..

By Parricida, Jul 30, 2010

The title gives us the concentration of this episode - it is the hub and it is amazing what they story does - Halo has orders to get D'Anna to president and knows that he is breaking the trust but they go - and they all have to trust each other - cylons and humans as they are going to attack the hub. Very impressive space battle, amazing visual effects.. and we have so much emotions..

First we have the Roslin and her visions.. oh..it took quite long time to get her on that point but we all see where it was going.. and she and Baltar - he finally confessing - yes, he took part of the genocide on human race.. and how Roslin reacted - she had known it all the time but now those words were said.. and she decided to let him die and then turned around.. that was a great..

And the ending.. just a brilliantmoreless

JUMP!

By MovieMark, Jul 22, 2010

Quintessential viewing, "The Hub" is exactly the reason I watch this show. The penultimate episode to the first half of the season encapsulates everything that makes BSG one of the most successful and critically acclaimed sci-fi shows out there. The acting was raised to another level entirely here, with Mary giving an exceptional performance as Roslin jumps from reality to a tour of her subconscious. It's beautifully played and powerfully handled. Moments like the bickering between Baltar and Roslin can only mean one thing: a Jane Espenson script. After a difficult episode that skidded a little too much off track, she wallops out one of her best scripts in quite some time, that pretty much has it all; it's humorous, poignant and rather philosophical, offering a perfect example of finding a nice balance between everyone involved. From the subtle moments involving Sharon and Helo, to the hilarious mislead D'anna spills about one of the final five, even the action scenes carried that extra bit of oomph, "The Hub" has it all. I may be in the majority here, but I sincerely think it even manages to upstage the finale, which is a strong episode that unfortunately feels a little rushed.moreless

The mystery of what happens when the rebel basestar jumps is answered. Roslin has to face how she deals with her humanity. She finally gets the truth from Baltar about his inv. in the attack on the colonies and faces her feelings for Adama.

By scififan12921, Jul 22, 2010

This is the episode I've been waiting for. I've been waiting since the Pegasus episodes for Roslin to admit she's in love with Adama. Unlike the other couples on the show this relationship was built over time, they didn't like each other or trust each other from the miniseries. I know BSG doesn't give us many happy endings but this is one I hope sticks.

How cool is it that Baltar finally admits he inadvertantly helped the cylons in the attack on the colonies? Roslin will do something with that admission so sparks should fly(I can't wait!)

The realism of the alliance is excellent. Instead of just trusting each other both sides have old wounds and hurts to get by to make this work. The scene with the 6 that was killed by Bolari was excellent. It just shows how the writers of this show continue to deal with the characters realistically. No one is all good or all bad.moreless

Ronald D. Moore and Mary McDonnell bring us one of the best hours of science fiction... ever.

By mrdoubleb, Jun 11, 2008

Battlestar Galactica did not simply beat the odds in 2003 as one of the few remakes that pale the original, it literally re-defined science fiction on television. I must say I always thought Ron Moore made the best written Star Trek of all times with DS9, but with Galactica, suddenly as if the ropes binding his hands were cut.

Episode 9 of season 4 worked on so many levels, I can't even list them all. Exceptionally written (kudos to Jane Espenson), directed and produced, getting the storyline to one of its most important events with an action packed yet thoughtful episode raising a number ethical and philosophical dilemmas. As with all good science fiction, the cinema quality FX (how do they stay on budget with this stuff?!) was a mere backdrop to the emotional struggle, the big human questions told through the faith of our heroes. Every camera angle, every cut, every reaction shot, every last line was spot on. (Maybe the Baltar/Centurion scenes felt a bit out of place though).

Yet, what really makes this one shine, was the flawless performance of the full cast, right down to the last CGI Cylon. Helo's struggle as he was torn between love and duty, loyalty and morality, dealing with his wife's copies - is she the same person, what makes a person? Old school sci-fi at its best. D'Anna's subplot - who will she support, the cold murder of her brother, her witty comments narrating the scenes almost like the chorus in a Greek drama. Lucy Lawless almost stole the show.

However, there can be no doubt, Mary McDonnell's performance, supported by the always wonderful Edward James Olmos (Adama) and James Callis (Baltar), were one of the highlights of this television season. Indeed, the character, President Roslin, and the actress, McDonnell, were the engine, the heart and the soul that made these 40-some minutes stand out from all the electric pollution filling our airwaves. Scene after scene, debating her subconscious/God(?), seeing herself die and witnessing the effect on the people around her, recognizing her role in the universe, in the big picture, learning Baltar's incredible secret only we, the audience knew since the first episode of the show and than watching her losing her mind in rage and vengeance only to come back trembling realizing what she's done - I had to make myself remember to breath. She was incredible. Period.

With the final scene delicately balancing between being cheesy and emotionally satisfying - never for a frame failing in the process - I kept asking myself, what will it take to get this show, this cast recognized by the "big awards"? Be it the Emmys or the Globes, for this episode, this writing, these performances: it's about time.moreless

If the previous episode didn't work because it was predictable and uneventful, I challenge anyone to have predicted the mess that was this episode.

By AntiGMan, Jun 10, 2008

Of all characters, we get Elosha to accompany Roslin in her (yawn-inducing) visions. The point of them is clear; however we could do with just the one scene instead of several separate scenes which appear incoherent at first. It's also a disappointment on the production side that the visions featured Roslin going back to the same place, and through a boring corridor. Who knew Roslin's mind could be so unimaginative. Gaius and Roslin talking to the hybrid was obviously meant to be humorous, but came out over the top. This is a shame not only due to misuse of the hybrid as a plot device, but also because those scenes (and the scene in which Baltar's dying) were extremely out of character for Roslin, and even Baltar. McDonnell and Callis deliver some of their worst performances in the show, whispering and making little sense, but with the quality of the script, who can blame them. We are re-introduced to Three, via a non-consequential scene with One and Boomer. If the best thing the villains of the piece can come up with is trying to convince someone to end the war, where's the conflict? Three is somewhat interesting; However, her little mind-**** with Roslyn, which in other episodes would be presented as menacing, comes, yet again, as over the top (and McDonnell's wooden acting in this episode was almost enough to convince me Roslyn is a cylon. I pray that anyone who will have to consider her for an Emmy will not see this episode). The whole eight-Helo thing seemed forced. I doubt they'll be referencing that again. Roslin betraying the cylons would probably be referred to, but at this point there's not much more the cylons can do. I don't mind the quiet, more personal, Battlestar episodes on occasion (though one could argue that this shouldn't be the case in the final episodes, or the episode where they destroy the resurrection ship). But this episode only did disservice to the characters and the audience.moreless

About time indeed (spoilers)

By starwolf99, Jun 10, 2008

This episode had everything from epic space battles to brief comedic moments to the culmination of one of sci-fi's greatest love stories. But more on that later. We see the full extent of the Cylons' confusion, paranoia, and strife as Number Three makes an explosive return. With the Resurrection Ship gone, the Cylons are now mortal. Permanent death is now a reality as Cavil meets his end (for perhaps the last time). Moments of panic reach certain characters as killing takes on a new meaning. The scene with Baltar discussing theology with a Centurion was priceless as it looked like the sentry was almost listening. If it had a mouth, it would debate back. And then they were both under attack, going from funny to tragic in a blink.

And then there is the evolution of Laura Roslin. It is in this episode in which she knows what is like to be truly human. In order to save humanity, she had to embrace her own. She had to "jump"--a leap of faith in which it is OK to be flawed and to love.

I've waited a long time to see the final two minutes in which two people can finally love each other unconditionally without chain of command, rules, regulations, or fear. At that point, they were there not as Adama and Roslin. Not as Admiral and Madam President. They were Bill and Laura, and their story can finally begin. About time indeed.moreless

Load More Reviews