The Oath (1)

Episode Reviews (27)

Superb

The Oath

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 25, 2012

The Oath was an explosively entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica and all preconceived notions are blown out the window! This episode was a pleasure to watch because it had so much action, character development and an excellent sequence of events! I couldn't believe how far Gaeta's reach had stretched. Starbuck was awesome when she rescued Lee. The Admiral and Colonel had their own good scenes. The President spoke to the fleet until cut off, and it did have some effect. I couldn't believe how the episode ended, I am on the edge of my seat ready to watch the next episode!!!!!!!!!moreless

Oh my God!!!!!!!

By Nightrider09, Oct 24, 2011

This was a great episode, one of the best in BSG history! The onl problem i found was that it was hard to watch. Not because of bad acting, special effects or story plot or anything like that, this was hard to watch for me because I hate charecters I care about (even the minor ones) and have followed throw out these past 4 seasons, turn evil and become the villians of the series.

Now Tom Zarek was a shoe in for staring a mutiny, It just took the writers a season and a half to make him play a much bigger role as a bad guy other that being the shadey political vice-prez. And as for Gaeta I've had a feeling he'd do something like this since the last episode as well as from the websode 'Face of the Enemy'. But if you would have told me that he'd betray Adama back when the mini-season was aired, I would have called you crazy (I also would have done the same thing if you told me Tigh was a cylon). But if you go over every episode in which Gaeta has a higher role (andI know that will take quite awhile) you'll see sign's of him becomeing morejaded and less likethe good soilder that he was when all thisstarted. And it seems like he'sbeen able to convice a lotof crew mebers to join him, many of who I really liked.Racetrack, Skulls, Captain Kelly, Seelix and others.All of this shows how feed up the people are and how losing earth had such a big effect on them and how they now view life. Although what really started this was the alliance with the Rebal Cylons, and hopefully the Rebals will prove their worth to the human race by helping Adama. (By the way you think the people would get a kick out of a group of cylons practically begging for their help and having no clue how to survie on their own with limited supplies and the fear of death on their door steps.)

On a lighter note (very rare in BSG now a days) Starbuck is finally acting like her good old kick ***, hot shot, loveable self. this is the first time I have seen her like this since the end of season 2. I guess it takes your friends becomeing your enemy and alot of gun fire to make Starbuck-- well StarBuck. And I am alos glad,(as other fans are) that she's taking a breack from her littleID crisses.

But I have to rant about something that really iritated mein this episode,-- Lee Adama!Actually I take that back, I have to rant about something that really iritated mein this whole Series!,Lee Adama!Ok so near the end of this episode Starbuck, Bill Adama, Lee and Tigh are on the run and Lee desides to vent some feelings he has about cylons to Tigh. Basicly he's saying the same old thing we've been hearing 'we can pretend to be friends and put the past behind us but when you get right to it your people killed the human race' Lee is saying that Gaeta and Tom are right, Lee most likely would have joined them if they were'nt trying to over throw his father.Now if I wereTighI would lay it on him, Here is what I would say!"Well are'nt you a little Fracking-flip-floper, you going to kill me to like you tried to do back whenI tried to arrest the Prez and you pulleda gun on me, or the other time you were a about to flush me out a airlock that i fully agreed to by the way, but your undead lover stopped you to reveal the path to a nucked earth! You need to pick a sideand stick with it! Oh wait i forgot you have problems picking sides or making choices, so instead of picking them you just blame people, like you did with your father for two years before the fall, now I know he wasn't always their for you but he was still a good father, unlike you whoditched your child before it was even born and didn't bother to look for your knocked-up girlfriend untill the world ended! Yes my people nucked your world and i know what your people have been through, Because I've been dealing it with you! Oh but plese keep on telling me how right Zarekis, after all you are his puppet, I just assumed that since you've been doing what he's wanted ever since you ditched the military for politics! Yes if it wasn't for my robot race we wouldn't be in this mess, but we also wouldn't be in this mess if you had just killed Zarek backin prison (minseries)! Oh and FYI, when Starbuck slept with Baltar (miniseries) she was screaming your name, so if youhad'ent over reactied and stared a fight or if you had just got thelow down from Baltar you would have known she was in love with you before you screwed it up and she went back to Caprica and meet her future husband (and cylon) Sam Anders. So if you had'ent opened your big mouth Starbuck would have thought twice before hooking up with Anders, You wouldn't have fallen back on Dee, Dee would still be with Billy, Anders would have ended up with Jean and you could of ended up with Starbuck and had a few Crazy kids! So by all means contue with what you were saying."I apoligize to all Lee fans but I had to say it, I'm really hoping they make a point to Lee's strugels and use him more because he's starting to get on my nerves.

The BSG cast gave it their all in this episode and that will make the next one even better.Bythe way the only pleasent moment in this wholeepisode(that didn't invole killing or any dark humor.) was when Tigh stepped into Adama's quarters and Roslin was thier in a robe with a happy glow. the reaction on Michael Hogan's face was priceless!moreless

About fraking time they had some real action in this season.

By abadiank, Sep 08, 2011

I thought the series was coming to an end and all we were going to watch was Adama rubbing Madam president's bald head for good luck.It might seem a bit harsh but I find myself on the rebel's side, I mean these guys have been brutally chased across the galaxy for four years by the cylons trying to bring extinction to the human race and all of a sudden they are supposed to be each others butt buddies. The final punch line of the show should be firing Admiral Adama's cylon loving sorry ass out of the airlock for betraying the human race gods dammit.moreless

Adama continues with his plan to use Cylon drive technology on Colonial ships. The closer ties between the rebel Cylons and the humans sets off a violent uprising in the fleet

By Razua, Sep 08, 2011

Completely OUTSTANDING! This episode was one that demonstrated just how great a show or a movie could be when the writers go uncuffed and serious with it and when the acting is true to the core!!! Heroes, Smallville, and many movies could learn a thing or two from this episode.

I don't know how long it has been since a show or a movie EVER had me engaged, on the edge of my seat, and completely wrapped into the world of the characters. I've found myself completely able to feel, understand, and be apart of the world the writers/actors have created these last few episodes and this one rocked my socks!

There were no silly and forced cliches, there was no logical madness going on, there wasn't a lack in the emotions in the actors, and everything was just right. I love that these guys are not afraid to take it to the dark and very gritty world of reality compared to other shows out there nowadays.

It's too bad BSG has to go while it is good but hopefully others will truly learn from how these recent episodes have been put together.moreless

Gripping but worrying

By zerbleflip, Aug 29, 2011

Season 4 is beginning to worry me, and I'm probably going to be at odds with the rest of the reviewers here. While what is happening on screen is doubtless compelling and highly dramatic, and shows a lot of development for certain characters....

....I have to say the whole "rebellion / mutiny / uprising" theme doesn't wholly ring true for me. Which is odd, because I've generally found the political machinations of BSG and the character of Tom Zarek to be utterly compelling previously. I'm not saying there is anything "wrong" with "The Oath", or "A Disquiet...." before it; certainly there are some loose ends with Zarek that have to be tied-up. Where I do have concerns is that unless all of this is leading to a major revelation that clearly propels the entire story forward, then we're losing a lot of valuable story-telling time simply dealing with the Zarek arc that might better be otherwise used. What kind of revelation am I talking about? Well, I honestly have no idea - but I'm desperately hoping that it will bring about (and via a final confrontation with Brother Cabot, et al) that revelation that there are in fact NO humans....that EVERYONE we've been following these past four years are forms of Cylons. I've posted my thinking on this in the "Theory & Speculation of Earth/Caprica" thread in the forms, and I'm aware that I'm going right out on a limb making such a bold statement. However, leaving aside my theories as to how and why this could and should be...such a revelation would give a far more solid dramatic context to the "uprising" than we presently have. Certainly if in "Blood..." through "Deadlock" we simply get a rapid resolution that leads to Zarek's death, etc., without some major turning-point occurring in the story arc that propels us full-bore towards "Daybreak", then I think the longer term verdict on this arc could be "Good drama, but story padding"..... I await the rest of the season with fingers crossed.moreless

With some crazy action, a high body count, and a ridiculous amount of fanservice, The Oath is one of the best episodes of Galactica.

By 24Titan, Mar 26, 2011

Holy s***! The Oath was hands down one of the best, most action-packed, balls-to-the-wall episode of Battlestar Galactica. Ever. For the fans waiting for a big action episode, this is it! The mutiny goes full blown in this episode and drags in all of the characters from the show (and even some we haven't seen for a long time). I'll start with the star of this episode: the action. This is probably the most action-packed episode of Galactica. When I say that, I mean of the entire series. It's filled with gunshots and dead bodies, and it's even bigger than Valley of Darkness. Galactica doesn't do action very often, but I don't think anyone on television does it better. Not 24, not Terminator, not Burn Notice. Galactica is where it's at. The episode moves through only four hours at breakneck speeds and it never gets old. Traveling through the corridors of Galactica is always intense in this pulse-pounder, and the bodies definitely rack up in this episode. I would say that there were anywhere between 30 to 50 casualties from the mutiny, and that is very big for Galactica. Moving on to the characters, some of which I adore and some of which I despise. Oh, Zarek and Gaeta, how I loathe thee. I pretty much can't wait to see these two go out the airlock (which I know will happen sooner or later). However, both Richard Hatch and Alessandro Juliani turn in great performances in their respective roles. However, Juliani is of particular note, as even through all of the chaos, he still finds the right opportunities to portray Gaeta's conflicted feelings. But Racetrack, how said I was to see that you have turned to the dark side! Alas, one of my favorite Raptor pilots has indeed joined the evil mutiny. But I did say that I adored some of the characters in the episode. Special mention must be given to Starbuck, Adama, and Roslin. Starbuck is pretty much my favorite character on the show now. She is so crazy and so badass that it's not even funny. When she saved Lee from the corrupt marines, that was probably one of her best moments ever. Her stone-cold shooting of the marine and Skulls made me laugh with glee. Katee Sackhoff was great in the role, and she really jumped into the "they're the enemy!" deal very well. Adama gets to shoot people too! Adama's little speech in the CIC about the mutiny was definitely a highlight of the episode. Eddie Olmos was at the top of his game for the episode. Finally, I must give note to Madam President, Laura Roslin. If Mary McDonnell goes unnominated again for these Emmys, I will never watch them again. Her speech over the wireless was impassioned and moving, and it was a clear example of why she should be handed her Emmy award right now! Sorry, Patty Hewes, but Laura Roslin is cooler (I give props to the three of you who will get this reference). Something I definitely loved about the episode was the huge amount of fan service that was present throughout the whole episode. We see a ton of the supporting characters who we haven't seen for quite some time. Helo, Anders, Seelix, Hoshi, Racetrack, and Baltar's cult all get some screen time with an important role. But even better is the return of two-bit characters who I never thought I'd see again. People like Laird (former Pegasus deck chief whose wife was shot by Kendra Shaw), Skulls (Racetrack's ECO, and I frakkin' loved it when Starbuck shot him), Private Jaffee ("Jaffee brings me coffee" from "A Day in the Life"), Connor (resistance member who was on the jury in "Collaborators" and tried to kill Baltar), and even the intrepid Specialist Gage (one of the idiot rednecks from the Pegasus who helped gangrape Gina)! Most viewers don't get these references. But for the anal-retentive, obsessive types like me who watch every episode multiple times, this episode was an absolute goldmine of fanservice. Overall, it's obvious to me that this is one of the best episodes of the series. It's certainly the best of Season 4.5, and it showcases Galactica at its highest point. There's amazing action, a high body count, and a true ensemble act. The episodes that only feature specific characters are often weaker, but the ones that feature the ensemble are always the best. And this one was definitely one of the best. A 10/10. Perfect. P.S. Next week looks frakking insane! "I am coming for all of you!"moreless

It's the best episode I've seen since Exodus part 2.

By chagopian, Mar 26, 2011

We're told what's going to happen, but we could've never guessed that this is how it was going to play out. Perhaps, had Battlestar had an entire season left, this climax would've had episodes of setup to prepare for what we witnessed tonight, the boiling point. But even with one episode, we know how important this revolution really is.

Now it doesn't take long for this mutiny to get way, we get three scenes putting our players frame of mind in perspective before the **** starts to hit the fan. We see Tigh informing our leaders about the state of the fleet, Zarek and Gaeta plotting one last time, and we see a beautiful scene between Laura and Bill, and the evidence of Laura's dwindling health (what's that stuff about Lee she started to mutter? Her health, or something moreā€¦) What came next was actually a bit of a surprise, Racetrack is one of those characters I just don't understand in this entire mutiny. She doesn't really fit in the entire context of all this, but the play goes on. Zarek busting in the old Pegasus deck hand was definitely a sign of things to come, and for Gaeta, it was the line he should've never crossed. Zarek also tells him some fascinating stuff, about how one hesitative slip can ruin a revolution, he says it far more elegantly than I did, but is this an omen to Gaeta? Did he hesitate at the end of the episode? More on that later. We also see one of Baltar's girls follow the entire action, who'll probably run off and tell their prophetic leader all about the impending revolution. This entire thing is pretty brilliant isn't it? We've all kind of underestimated how much Gaeta is responsible for, and at the same time, it's the reason why we respected him in the past. To see him fall so far, to lose his head, it's a tough thing to watch, especially on account he's helping Zarek. Next up, we see Lee trying to convince the quorum to see his way of thinking about the FTL drives, and the cylon alliance until his plan is shot with Zarek's entrance. On that note, the quorum has been full of **** since the very beginning, a group of men and women who are so far out of the conflict, they have no clue what's going on. It's very, very frustrating. Afterwards, we see Seelix play Anders right into a trap. I gotta say, I've always loved Anders, great character, so it was tough watching him get his ass handed to him. It's tough for a lot of reasons, but this show changed immensely since Dee offed herself. No one on this show is safe from death, and hopefully, it won't be Anders, but who knows.

Gaeta plays the CIC a bit more, and we get to see Hot Dog and Starbuck chat a bit, before Starbuck throws her food away, and gives one creepy ass smile. Kara has always been a great character when she's been a badass, and it's damn good to see her being badass starbuck as opposed to crazy ass starbuck. So badass Starbuck goes off and finds out some civvies are arming themselves, calling Gaeta wasn't a great idea. Lee, same mistake man. Gaeta plays them all, and Zarek swoops in for the kill. Doesn't this all feel like a game to Gaeta? How far does this revolution go until Zarek gets rid of Gaeta, and takes his place on the throne? And then how real does it become to Gaeta? Anyways Lee heads off to Galactica in an effort to prove Zarek wrong, seems like a shoddy way to get him back to Galactica but oh well. Seeing Lee arrive on Galactica, **** hits the fan when Starbuck busts two bullets into two marines. Having Connor and Racetrack watch on, the reality of this revolution is looking more and more grim. What gets to me most is the next scene. Anyone remember the first episode this season? We had the despair and doom spread throughout the premiere, and then we got to see Helo and Sharon playing around with Hera, living life as though Earth wasn't even a care for them? For all the struggles these two have gone through, this scene hit home. Which is why it was all the more hard to watch them get taken away from Helo, who has played the most morally responsible character on this show. I can only hope that by the next episode comes, Helo goes ape ****, and pulls his best Captain America act to kick some rebel ass. Nice throwback by the way to that Pegasus fella punching Helo. Kara comes out of nowhere and gives Lee a nice smooch, throws a line about feeling fine for the first time in weeks. Sounds about right, Starbuck hasn't been the best written character, but ****, she sounds so much better when she's badass Starbuck. So again, nice to see her taking lead. Athena gets tossed into a cell, and we get to see what's going on to our heroes imprisoned (and six I guess), and things look even grimmer in here. Lee and Kara march on through Galactica, finding marines and civvies fighting one another throughout, it's a great scene, you can tell the disarray on the ship is going to be devastating to that overall human count.

And here, Gaeta, makes his move, Adama growls, and he overtakes the CIC. Adama's been played from the beginning, a fella gets shot saving the admirals life, and we find our two old leaders in a very compromising position, and for the first time in ages, it finally feels like we're going to see both Adama's and Tigh's teeth. Adama's warning to the rebellers, well, he's telling them all, this is going to end with death. Yep, we're in the final few episodes alright. Again, like I mentioned earlier, since Dee's death, anything's possible. We've seen characters get kicked and punched in the face before, but never have they hurt as much as they have in this episode. I hope to God our heroes make it out unscathed, but there's still a lot of episode left. Suffice to say, I'm gonna say watch the episode yourself. I'm not going to ruin the last half of this episode (that's right, all this happens in one half). There's a fantastic cliffhanger, and some wonderful visuals at the very end of this episode, but however this conclusion comes about, people are going to die. A final tidbit, it's great to see Chief get out of his insane rut too, and to see Baltar return to his bumbling human ways.

It's the best episode I've seen since Exodus part 2.moreless

Woah... fasten your seatbelts. This episode will blow you away!

By jakestevens, Mar 26, 2011

So the final 7 episodes of Battlestar Galactica approach us and this episode doesn't waste any time. The episode is centered around the uprising on the ship. Gaeta and Vice President Zarek have planned an attack on the people who support the human-cylon alliance. The body count decreases dramatically as people are losing hope and don't know who to trust.

The last few moments are amazing. Adama and Tyrol guard the raptor to transfer the President to a safe location. It appears that Adama has forgiven Tyrol, He says "Its been an honour to have served with you, my friend".

The wait for the guards to attack.

To be continued...moreless

A huge mutiny, every single character who is still alive, Kara and Lee against the world, and Tigh and Adama being badass. What more could you want.

By hazelnut144, Mar 26, 2011

So every character ever invented in the Galacticaverse who is still alive chooses sides in the mutiny on Galactica. It's a bit sad to see who some of the mutineers are. Racetrack? Narcho? (Interesting thing, if Jane Espenson had made Narcho Gaeta's boyfriend as she considered doing before she realized they couldn't get the actor, they wouldn't have had the kind of break up at the end, because Narcho is all in with Gaeta's plot, while Hoshi is not)

I almost had forgotten how awesome Lee and Kara are when it's them against the world. And another point? Kara is a little terrifying. But still awesome. And it was nice to see Lee running around the ship with a gun again. I think that the political storyarc does work for him, but I like to see him back in his original role once in a while. Tigh and Adama? Completely amazing. Not much more I can say to that. When they just take out the two marines? It was awesome.moreless

Absolutely brilliant adrenaline ride.

By logossun, Mar 26, 2011

You know all those episodes where nothing really happens? Move away 180 degrees from that and you have this one.

What a rush! I mean, it's all pretty "standard" stuff: a rebellion, a take-over, hope being lost... But for me the defining point of the episode was the core assembling of the heroes - Adama sr. & the colonel, Adama jr. & Starbuck and Roslin & Baltar. A perfect trinity of force, mind and possibilities. I had goosebumps. I'm not one for pointless action; I don't like the easy approach to it most movies and series give us. But this, this is a magnificent dangerous game, serious and costly, and the human race once again proves it cannot live with itself in peace, whether with others or with itself.

I honestly don't know what's going to happen to the two old war horses but I do know that I haven't had this feeling of sitting at the edge of my seat and screaming inside not knowing what's to follow in a long time.

Congratulations, Galactica - this is the race to the end we have hoped for and more!moreless

Load More Reviews