CBS Sets Summer Premiere Dates for Big Brother, Reckless, and Unforgettable and Pushes Back Extant

By Tim Surette

Mar 11, 2014

Hey! Who out there is ready for the awesome summer season of network television? You know, all those domes and houses and uhhh... detectives who can't forget. Yep, totally exciting. Anyway, it's apparently a big week for announcing premiere dates, and the next piece of your summer-television calendar comes from CBS, which has revealed the debut dates for three warm-weather shows and pushed back the premiere of a fourth.

CBS's summer schedule is once again anchored by the network's reality hit Big Brother, which returns for its 16th edition on Wednesday, June 25 before spreading across the primetime week like a weed. 

A few days later, Poppy Montgomery returns as the pretty detective with the outstanding memory in Unforgettable, which kicks off its third season on Sunday June 29. That same night will also herald the series debut of Reckless, a new legal drama. 

Those three shows complete a lineup that also features Under the Dome, which returns for Season 2 on Monday, June 30, and Extant, a new series about an astronaut played by Halle Berry who has all kinds of weird things going on. Extant will now debut on Wednesday, July 9, a week later than originally planned

Because I suspect that most of you don't know what Reckless is, here's the gist: A big-city female lawyer heads down to South Carolina, where she teams up with a charming male lawyer and you can guess what happens next. It's Castle meets Hart of Dixie, basically. And for those who are late to the Extant party, Berry plays an astronaut who just got back from spaaaaace and she's pregnant probably with an alien baby and she has an android son at home, officially making this drama the weirdest CBS show ever after Kid Nation

Here's how that all shakes out, in an easy-to-read format (new shows in ALL CAPS):

Wednesday, Effective June 25

8–9pm – Big Brother (Wednesday premiere)

9–10pm – Criminal Minds rerun

10–11pm – CSI rerun

Thursday, Effective June 26

8–8:30pm – The Big Bang Theory rerun

8:30–9pm – The Millers rerun

9–10pm – Big Brother (Thursday premiere)

10–11pm – Elementary rerun

Sunday, Effective June 29

7–8pm – 60 Minutes

8–9pm – Big Brother (Sunday premiere)

9–10pm – RECKLESS (Series premiere)

10–11pm – Unforgettable (Season 3 premiere)

Monday, Effective June 30

8–8:30pm – 2 Broke Girls rerun

8:30–9pm – FRIENDS WITH BETTER LIVES

9–9:30pm – Mike & Molly rerun

9:30–10pm – Mom rerun

10–11pm – Under the Dome (Season 2 premiere)

Wednesday, Effective July 9

8–9pm – Big Brother

9–10pm – EXTANT(Series premiere)

10–11pm – Criminal Minds rerun

• Comments (20)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • torque_smacky Mar 11, 2014

ABC's summer schedule: Rookie Blue, Wipeout

• fweak Mar 11, 2014

CBS's summer schedule is...Forgettable.

• WavSlave Mar 11, 2014

You forgot to put EXTANT in all caps. Just sayin'.

• TimSpot Mar 12, 2014

I will put it in all caps when it deserves all caps! (also, sorry)

• WavSlave Mar 12, 2014

Oh snap, I believe I just got served. ;-)

• kanniballl Mar 11, 2014

What? Unforgettable is still on the air? I thought it was cancelled... glad I was wrong. I like the lead.

For a minute there the face was drawing a blank... she looked very familiar but I couldn't place her. For a minute I thought Anna Torv got TV work but then it hit me.

• SirSquinty Mar 11, 2014

Tim,

I love you to pieces and go out of my way to read almost every article and review you write, just because I find you hilarious and poignant about mostly everything. You can entertain me by writing about shows I'll never watch, as well as help articulate and remind me why I like so many great shows. But please do me, and the rest of the fan community a favor and do not succumb to corporate BS by writing:

"Because I suspect most of you don't know what Reckless is, here's the gist: a big-city female lawyer heads down to South Carolina where she teams up with a charming Southern male lawyer and you can guess what happens next."

This might seem to you and many others to be a fairly innocuous statement, but putting the extra adjective of 'female' before the word 'lawyer' is such an unnecessary additive. We can glean from the rest of the sentence, as well as the following ones that the main character is a female lawyer, due to your usage of 'she.'

While 'she' is fine because it identifies her as a female, saying the words 'female lawyer' is NOT fine because it only further perpetuates the stereotype that SO many show synopses do, by adding the word 'female' before any job. This tells audiences HEY THIS SHOW IS DIFFERENT BECAUSE IT'S A FEMALE IN THE LEAD.

We absolutely need more shows and movies with female protagonists; it's a horrendously gender-imbalanced media out there. But by drawing attention to the fact that she is female by adding the unnecessary verbiage of 'female lawyer' only serves to perpetuate the stereotype. It would be wonderful if all shows could just say 'detective,' or 'lawyer' or 'plumber' and not have to designate whether it's a male or female. It would be nice if people watched on the basis of the direction, writing, acting, and other factors, not the gender of the person at the center of the action.

Besides, we know she is female because the rest of the synopsis specified 'she' so saying she's 'female' unfortunately implies (though I'm sure unintentionally) HEY GUYS FEMALES CAN BE LAWYERS TOO, WHO KNEW? We didn't specify that House was about a cranky, male, doctor, did we? No. He was a cranky doctor who was assumed to be male due to stereotype. The word 'female' only serves to further generalize the stereotype that only males can be [insert X job here].

Either way....it's unnecessary, and I'd ask you to think about it next time you mention a show, because the only way we're going to improve audience perception and female equality is by treating each gender as equal, not by treating females as (again, unintentionally) less qualified for the specific occupation they portray.

Tim, I want to once again reaffirm that I am the biggest fan of your reviews, read them daily, harass my Facebook friends with them daily, and read them out loud to my friends' chagrins all the time. Please don't take this as a word of discouragement, but as a simple, probably unrealized thought.

Looking forward to your next review/article,

David

P.S. Halfway through this I wondered if the TV.com audience is the right place for a discussion of this sort and wondered what the response will be. Hopefully it's positive!

• AmericanInfidel Mar 12, 2014

We absolutely need more shows and movies with female protagonists; it's a horrendously gender-imbalanced media out there

T
    hat's just a flat out lie. Off the top of my head I can think of quite a few shows that have as a female the protagonist or co-protagonist as the lead. Perception, Rizzoli and Isles, Those Who Kill, Bates Hotel, Intelligence, Bitten, Bones, Revenge, The Good Wife, Once Upon a Time, Grey's Anatomy, Hart of Dixie, Castle, The Blacklist, and Scandal. I'm sure there are more but that's just off the top of my head.

• SirSquinty Mar 12, 2014

google the Bechdel test.

• AmericanInfidel Mar 12, 2014

Which proves absolutely nothing. You said:

We absolutely need more shows and movies with female protagonists; it's a horrendously gender-imbalanced media out there

Which I just proved was lie.

• DavidJackson8 Mar 11, 2014

I seemingly don't care as much (one of my many flaws), but I do agree with you.

Sincerely,
    Male replier.

• JT_Kirk Mar 11, 2014

"The Big Band Theory", Tim? Also, CBS's weirdest show is Century City, the show about law... IN THE FUTURE! Whyyyyy?

• TimSpot Mar 12, 2014

I regret and have since fixed that error! Thank you, sir!

• WavSlave Mar 11, 2014

Maybe The Millers is going to shift its focus to Glenn Miller in keeping with that change. (It couldn't make it any worse.) CBS' older viewers would probably like that, right? ;-)

1. Remake all shows to be about stuff from the '40s and '50s
    2. ????????
    3. Profit!

• JT_Kirk Mar 11, 2014

Could not be any worse than what it is now, the biggest waste of talent on network tv.

• WavSlave Mar 12, 2014

Fully agreed.

• Writerpatrick Mar 11, 2014

This could be the summer I finally drop Big Brother. Although by the time it starts I'm usually starved for watchable TV.

• casssize Mar 11, 2014

Big Brother is equivalent to TV heroine. You keep telling yourself you'll quit but you never do, and then you keep wondering why you keep going back to it.

• DavidJackson8 Mar 11, 2014

OMG YAY UNDER THE DOME. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

• WavSlave Mar 11, 2014

Man, if Banshee and Under the Dome were somehow combined, capital letters would be back like never before.