Watch the First Episode of Starz's Pirate Drama Black Sails Early and for Free! (VIDEO)

By Tim Surette

Jan 19, 2014

Yo ho yo ho it's a pirate's life for free! In advance of the January 25 premiere of Black Sails, Starz has decided to post the first episode of the swashbuckling drama online for free. So grab a bottle of rum, teach your parrot to say, "Gimme some booty!," and watch the pirate pilot episode embedded below. (Of course, if you want to see it with the sex and the curse words, you're going to have to pony up for a Starz subscription.)

Black Sails follows the pirate Captain Flint as he brings on a new matey and sails the seas of the Caribbean, a-plundering and a-pillaging. The drama stars Toby Stephens, Hannah New, and Luke Arnold, and Michael Bay is a producer, so the over/under on big explosions is 483. 

This could be the beginning of a pirate trend on television; in addition to Starz's Black Sails, NBC will air Crossbones sometime later this year.

• Comments (60)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • dhaworth Jan 23, 2014

I think I'm going to enjoy this, it's a shame we only have eight episodes this year.

• MsSerenityAngel Jan 23, 2014

I couldn't get through the first 15 minutes...

• KymWolfe Jan 23, 2014

"Pirate trend"...??? Hm...
    Well, I have been getting a bit burnt on the Zombie theme...
    Loved the show Starz, thanks!!!

• fygolas Jan 22, 2014

I am not much into pirate stuffs but I liked the first episode of Black Sails. It seems like the show is of good quality, especially the female actresses who give the show character. I don't know if I am going to be watching this show, but I will definitely see one more episode before I make my decision. A big LIKE for Blackbeard, one of a kind.

• easy143341 Jan 20, 2014

Very good pilot program

• Draconax Jan 20, 2014

Watched the first episode last night, and it was everything that I hoped it would be: bitches, booty, bastards, and badassery. Everything I would expect from the network that gave us Spartacus. Was not disappointed, and can't wait to see the rest of the season.

• Lars900 Jan 20, 2014

This uploader has not made this video available in your country...
    FUUUUUUUU!!! ANTI-CLIMAX!

• sroberts461 Jan 20, 2014

The video is from Youtube so try their instead.

• Lars900 Jan 21, 2014

Thanks but didn't work there either, but already dowloaded it from a piratebay proxy :)

• robinsiereveld Jan 20, 2014

This comment has been removed.

• Mazzie Jan 20, 2014

John Silver guy looks like young Antonio Banderas. I keep expecting him to speak with a strong foreign accent and he fails me every time. Also I finally witnessed what it means to beat up a guy to a bloody pulp. Thank you Black Sails and Starz.

• canine Jan 20, 2014

Just watched this - Starz did it with Spartacus, and now they have done it with Black Sails. What an amazing start, loved the world setting immediately.

• stanking Jan 20, 2014

Wait...they removed the gratuitous language and sex, and in return, publish that version for free? Win-win.

• See More Comments (19)