Black Sails: Watch the New Extended Trailer for Starz's Michael Bay Pirate Series (VIDEO)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jan 10, 2014

Starz has released a new trailer for its epic pirate drama Black Sails. The new pirate adventure series from executive producer Michael Bay (perhaps you've heard of him?) is one of the most highly anticipated new dramas of the midseason, and follows the exploits of one Captain Flint (Toby Stephens), 20 years before the events of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island. 

Black Sails begins its maiden voyage Saturday, January 25 at 9pm, but that didn't stop the wonderfully optimistic people at Starz from renewing it for Season 2 way back in July. Seriously. Sure, they've been a two-and-out kind of network recently (think Magic City, or Kelsey Grammer's Boss), but maybe Black Sails will be the first to escape that curse. 

We'll have to wait a couple years to find out, however, so while you're waiting, why not check out the extended trailer for Season 1 that was released today?

Will you be tuning in for Black Sails' debut on Saturday, January 25?

• Comments (15)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • JHEN247 Aug 29, 2014

Loved season 1!!! It was raw and gritty, not like that Disney pirate hoopla (which has its place & is fun) but this show is in your face & really shows the toll that pirating life takes on a man. The treasure island tie in is cool & I'm excited to see where that goes with a young silver & a captain flint who isn't afraid to get bloody when something or someone is standing in his way. All in all its a great show & I'm stoked for season 2. I got to watch season 1 on demand, so there was no wait in between episodes for me. A few episodes were kinda slow building up to the shear mayham that is piratingpirating but watching in succession like that made up for it, plus its got real pirate names in it, like Charles Vain, (Calico) Jack Rackham, Anne Bonny and Captain Hornigold to name a few. A great blind of fantasy and real world pirism for the time period (Golden Age of Pirates). Like all of you, I was skeptical when I saw Michael Bays name tied to the project, but so far this show looks to be one of his great works & not one that bombs like he's put out in the past. Its hit & miss for Mr. Bay, but for everything I've seen so far Black Sails has all the makings of a complete success.

• flintslady Jan 16, 2014

Is it just me, or was the pilot kinda boring? Lots of talking. Forced unsexy sex scenes. Lots of bad accents. I was pretty excited for this, but found it pretty meh..

Then again, I hated the first episode of Spartacus and didn't really fall in love with it till episode 4, so I guess I should give this a few more before I decide.

On the plus side it was nice to see Tom Hopper again. What did everyone else think?

• Montana_Katana Jan 11, 2014

Yes. Absolutely.

• EsmeBuffay Jan 11, 2014

Michael Bay's name being attached gives me pause, he has done a handful of good movies though and it's a show about pirates produced by stars so it's got all of that going in it's favor. I'll at the very least watch the pilot.

• TVFangirl84 Jan 11, 2014

Yes!!!!

• wofori Jan 11, 2014

i sure wonna see how this show goes like. the idea sounds intruiging

• StrawDog Jan 10, 2014

Oh the one hand, Michael Bay. On the other hand, pirates. I'll at least watch the pilot.

• sangbaran Jan 10, 2014

Gosh, whats the budget of this thing!!!

• Eric10301 Jan 10, 2014

That's what I was thinking too. It looks much more expensive than I was expecting.