Boardwalk Empire's Final Season Has a Premiere Date

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jul 10, 2014

It looks like luck has finally run out for Steve Buscemi's Prohibition Era gangster Nucky Thompson.

HBO announced Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour that the fifth and final season of Boardwalk Empire will debut Sunday, September 7.

After Season 4 ended with a pile of dead bodies (R.I.P. Richard Harrow), the shortened 8-episode final season will pick up during the depths of the Great Depression in 1931 and follow Nucky as he recalls his Atlantic City roots and plots for a post-Prohibition future.

• Comments (16)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • ben45tpy Jul 11, 2014

I don't know why HBO is screwing over Boardwalk Empire just as it was approaching greatness.

• johnmckenzie338658 Jul 11, 2014

Greatness? the show became a snoozefest ever since they killed off Jimmy

• MarlboroMagpi Jul 11, 2014

8 episodes is really disappointing but I really hope it will end with a bang. Last season was really good.

• efonsecajr Jul 11, 2014

Only 8 episodes? F*&$ You HBO.

• shanebradley1 Jul 11, 2014

What the hell? Read this yesterday and didnt seen that 8 episodes part, when did that happen? Im really annoyed now, cancel a great show and then cut it to 8 episodes? Come on HBO.

• Whedonrules Jul 11, 2014

After the awesomeness of last season, they shortened the order for the final season? I thought its ratings peaked, must have been mistaken. WTF HBO? Oh, well guess we're not supposed to bitch and just be happy its getting a final season. (Hopefully the writers didn't break the story for an expected 10 episode season and everything gets rushed.) Does anyone know if HBO ordered 10 (per norm) then months later decided to cut the order back or did they only order 8 episodes to begin with? Hopefully its the latter.

How did this show not single EMMY nomination in any of the acting categories? Sorry, wrong place.......

• No1Slayerette Jul 11, 2014

This news makes the last season even more bittersweet, glad I can finally put it on my calendar, but only 8 episodes is disapoointing.

• chandler0201 Jul 11, 2014

I'm assuming high production costs caused this final season to be truncated. At least they knew in advance where things were going to go, that's more than can be said for such shows as Family Tree and Hung that went out on unresolved cliffhangers.

• Sam20 Jul 11, 2014

Eight episodes? Damn

• Ian281099 Jul 11, 2014

What? 8 episodes!!! WHY?????????????????

• woz22 Jul 10, 2014

8 episodes what it needs at least 12 how are they going to fit in Chicago Capone , New York Luciano and Lansky ?

• quickclean100 Jul 10, 2014

show is not really about them tho.

• woz22 Jul 11, 2014

Well thier are part of the empire and we also like to know what tangles Nucky has with the people he assoiacte with.

• See More Comments (3)