News Briefs: Bryan Cranston Earns Two Award Nominations for... Directing!?

By Tim Surette

Jan 10, 2014

FROM BREAKING BAD TO DIRECTING GOOD

... The Directors Guild of America has announced the nominees for its annual awards, and Bryan Cranston earned two nods. WAIT! WHO? Yep, Mr. Heisenberg earned one nomination for helming Breaking Bad's Season 5B premiere "Blood Money," and then another one for standing being behind the camera on Modern Family's "The Old Man & The Tree." Walter White will go up against his creator Vince Gilligan, who directed the Breaking Bad finale "Felina," as well as David Fincher for House of Cards, David Nutter for the Red Wedding episode of Game of Thrones, and Lesli Linka Glatter for the Homeland finale. I know everyone is all up in arms over the lack of recognition for Rian Johnson, who directed Breaking Bad's "Ozymandias," but I'll take Michelle MacLaren's work for "To'hajiilee" over any of those other guys any day. Hit the link for a full list of nominees. [EW]

BUSINESS TIME

... Perhaps Eva Longoria will end up on that DGA nominee list next year? The former Desperate Housewife will make her directorial debut in the upcoming second season of Devious Maids. Hahaha! And maybe she'll get a producer award for Ready for Love, right? Anyway, the bigger news here is that Devious Maids' second season has a premiere date: April 20. Maybe you'll be so stoned that you'll actually watch it. [Lifetime via press release]

... NBC's Chicago P.D. debuted last night, or so I'm told. And it did well in the ratings, with 8.6 million viewers and a 2.0 in the important 18-49 demo. Meanwhile, CBS's coverage of The Peoples Choice Awards drew 10.8 million viewers, the awards ceremony's largest audience in four years, but dropped 11 percent among 18-49ers from last year. [TV Line]

... That Lindsay Lohan reality show that you can't stop thinking about makes its debut on OWN on March 9. The network has also ordered a scripted series from Tyler Perry called Single Moms Club, which is based on his upcoming film and follows moms from all walks of life as they cope with an incident at their kids' school. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Lifetime is already plotting a sequel to its made-for-TV film Flowers in the Attic, even though Flowers hasn't even aired yet. The sequel would follow Petals in the Wind, the second book in the Dollanganger series of novels about incest, child abuse, and other things we all freaked out over in grade school when we read it. Flowers in the Attic stars Heather Graham and Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka and will premiere January 18. And here's a trailer, too! [E! Online]

... CBS will begin airing the Hollywood Film Awards, an October ceremony that hands out even more trophies to movie stars to shore up their fragile egos and feed them more of the ass-kissing they can't live without. Apparently it's one of those "fun" awards shows where people hit the bottle. [CBS via press release]

... IFC, which was short for the Independent Film Channel, has officially changed its name to IFC, which isn't short for anything. Please update your iPhone contacts. [The Wrap]

... In other network name-change news, the Military Channel is changing its name to American Heroes Channel, in order to bring firefighters, cops, and others into the fold. You know what that means: More police reality shows than we'll ever need. [The Wrap]

... That Veronica Mars movie you want to pay for will air at SXSW. Launch a Kickstarter now to raise funding for your SXSW ticket! [LA Times]

CASTING NEWS

... Andy Richter has booked a guest role on NBC's Sean Saves the World, and he'll play a politician with no impulse control. Like the lack of the impulse to say no to guest-starring on a bad show. [TV Line]

... Camryn Manheim, who is killing it as Control in Person of Interest right now, will star in CBS's possibly limited series Extant. Set to debut this summer, Extant stars Halle Berry as an astronaut who saw some crazy shit in space during her year-long trip into orbit (hopefully it didn't have anything to do with a giant dome). When she returns to Earth, even crazier shit happens. Manheim will play the best friend of Berry's character. [Deadline Hollywood]

... A&E's upcoming crime drama Those Who Kill, based on a Danish series, has cast its leads. Chloe Sevigny will star as a serial-killer-hunting homicide detective who is also uncovering the truth about her brother's disappearance. James D'Arcy (Cloud Atlas) will co-star as the forensic psychologist who helps her out. Great! Another one of those shows. [A&E via press release]

• Comments (24)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Mate Jan 10, 2014

Hey, if you have Xfinity this weekend they are running free HBO and Cinemax series from start to finish. So that means the whole of Banshee if you haven't seen it, it is fantastic. The entire series of Strike Back even the very first season with Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead. Also Hunted. All very good shows. Take a watch if you have the time and well Xfinity.

• torque_smacky Jan 10, 2014

Comcast gets nothing from me, until they at least change that stupid name.

• Mate Jan 10, 2014

I hear ya. Really dumb name.

• Locknah_201 Jan 10, 2014

I have to say I am pretty pissed Rian Johnson wasn't nominated for "Ozymandias". Nothing about that makes any sense. That was the single greatest episode in the history of television. Maybe I could forgive Beckett not getting nominated for the writing, but no nomination for the directing? That is absolutely insane.

• BellaBellini Jan 10, 2014

I'm so excited for Flowers in the Attic! This version looks more faithful to the books. Those wonderful, trashy, scandalous books that every teenage girl should read ;p

• Taccado Jan 10, 2014

Hopefully Those Who Kill will work out for Chloƫ Sevigny. Her career sure has been a series of offbeat decisions, and she has rarely gotten to be the leading lady, at least in any major shows or films.

• TrevPlatt Jan 10, 2014

She did get to be a leading man though!

• Whedonrules Jan 10, 2014

That role was so cool. She hated looking at herself with the prosthetic though.

• Taccado Jan 10, 2014

Very true, so very true.

• jack_checker Jan 10, 2014

"Devious Maids'" is a great show! I don't know why you don't write reviews about it. It's like Desperate Housewifes on drugs. I'm laughing my ass of, also very nice acting (overacting) It's really nice to watch it, I'm addicted to it

• sleepy-sonic Jan 10, 2014

Another summer "limited" series on CBS, why that sound so familiar?

• JohnCouto Jan 10, 2014

OK, we get it! Sean Saves The World sucks, it's still on the air?, blah blah blah... Stop beating that horse people, I'm 100% sure it's dead.

• lynna12000 Jan 10, 2014

Sean Saves the World is still on the air? Andy Richter deserves better.

• Mate Jan 10, 2014

Chicago PD was surprisingly better than average last night. A little predictable but not bad overall.

• iheartfrosty Jan 10, 2014

If only this was a "Sean Saves The World"/"Andy Richter Controls The Universe" crossover.

• DavidJackson8 Jan 10, 2014

While the names make sense, I'm very glad it's not a crossover. The awesomeness that was ARCTU shan't be tarnished by crossing over with Sean Poops the World.