News Briefs: David Tennant Will Also Star in the American Broadchurch

By Kaitlin Thomas

Oct 03, 2013

NOW THIS IS HOW YOU DO AN ADAPTATION

... David Tennant is set to star in the American remake of his hit British TV series Broadchurch, which just wrapped up its first season on BBC America (but please don't tell me what happened because I'm four episodes behind!). The American version will be written by original series creator Chris Chibnall, which might be one of the reasons Tennant agreed to this at all. He'll play a character who's similar to the original's D.I. Alec Hardy, but with an American accent. I think we can all agree that more Tennant is never, ever a bad thing. [TV Guide]

BUSINESS TIME

... Uh-oh, better not tell Nick Fury about this: The ratings for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. dropped quite a bit in the show's second outing. The series clocked in at 8.4 million total viewers and a 3.1 demo rating, and while those numbers aren't terrible—they're actually the best ABC has seen in the Tuesday-at-8pm time slot in a couple of years—the massive drop in viewership is worrisome. Coulson really needs to kill the fish tank now. [Vulture]

... NCIS, however, was Tuesday's number-one show in viewers, which I know, I know, is totally shocking. Ziva David's last episode brought in 19.33 million viewers, and was second in both adults 25-54 (4.5 demo rating) and adults 18-49 (3.4). [CBS via press release]

... ABC is working on a limited series called A Slave in the White House, and it's based on a book called A Slave in the White House (gee, that's creative) by Elizabeth Dowling Taylor. It'll tell the story of  Paul Jennings, a Virginian who served as the President James Madison's personal valet. [Deadline]

... Kevin James is returning to TV with a new sitcom that will be developed under the 10/90 model. That means the series will shoot 10 episodes without a pilot and if it meets a ratings threshold, it'll get 90 more. It's the same approach Charlie Sheen used with Anger Management—you didn't think he got that many episodes because the show was any good, did you? [Vulture]

... Mythbusters' upcoming The Walking Dead-themed episode finally has an air date, and it's October 17. We're finally going to get to the bottom of whether axes or guns are more effective against the undead, and we'll finally find out just how those pesky zombies catch up to their live prey as if in death they suddenly all have the endurance of Steve Prefontaine and the speed of Usain Bolt. However, I'm still waiting for the answer to the astronauts versus caveman debate. [TV Line]

... ABC has renewed its Canada-made summer series Motive for a second season, in case you know what that is. [Deadline]

... CBS News dominated the 34th Annual News and Documentary Emmy Awards last night. 60 Minutes wiped the floor with its “Killing Bin Laden” and "Joy in the Congo" segments, which took home Outstanding Interview in a News Magazine and Outstanding Feature Story in a News Magazine, respectively. CBS This Morning took home the Emmy for Outstanding Investigative Journalism in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast for their segment “Exposing the Business of Congress.” For a full list of winners, click here. [CBS via press release]

... NBC's loss is Fox's gain. The John Mulaney pilot that NBC passed on earlier this year has been salvaged and given a series order (for possibly six episodes?) at Fox. The pilot is set in New York and follows an aspiring comedian played by Mulaney. Martin Short plays his boss. [EW]

... Sad news today, guys. Adam Scott is ending The Greatest Event In Television History after next February/March's fourth installment. The third installment airs next month on Adult Swim. [SplitSider]

... NBC has axed its summer series Camp after one season. If only that summer camp had been located in Chester's Mill. Maybe then the show would have lived to see Season 2. [THR]

... Public Service Announcement: Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman is now Beyond the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, I assume, because we have gone through a wormhole. [Discovery via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... The casting for FX's Fargo is really starting to pick up. Last week Martin Freeman joined the project, and today Colin Hanks signed on as Duluth Police Deputy Gus Grimly. Grimly is a single dad who must choose between saving his own ass and upholding his duty as a policeman when he finds himself in a dangerous situation. I vote for looking out for number one (this is why I'm not a cop). [Deadline]

... October is the month that just keeps on giving on the Justified front. CSI: NY alum and Ghostfacer A.J. Buckley has been cast as yet another Crowe. He'll play Danny, the "romantic sociopath of the Crowe family," because every family needs one of those! He'll be joined by Michael Rapaport, Alicia Witt, and Edi Gathegi, whose castings were announced earlier this week. [TV Line]

... Bob Newhart is returning to The Big Bang Theory as Professor Proton, Sheldon’s favorite childhood hero (who Newhart just won an Emmy for playing). This time around, when Proton seeks out Leonard for help, Sheldon befriends everyone else's favorite childhood science hero: Bill Nye the Science Guy, who'll be playing himself. The episode will air November 7. [CBS via press release]

... Amber Tamblyn has been upped to a series regular on Two and a Half Men in a poor attempt to make the show anything other than sad and pathetic. I'm 95 percent sure that even the people who are still on the don't care about it. Isn't it time we just give the people what they want? [CBS via press release]

... Homeland's David Harewood has joined David Milch's new drama pilot The Money opposite Brendan Gleeson and Nathan Lane. He'll play Kurt Corbitt, "a grandiose, boisterous, irascible ideologue." (So many big words!) He's also the CEO of the parent company of Gleeson's character's holdings. [THR]

... From one of the best ABC Family shows to one of the worst. Bunheads' Bailey Buntain will guest-star on an upcoming episode of Baby Daddy as a character who's also named Bailey and a love interest for Ben. [TV Guide]

... Today in casting news that I actually thought already happened: Leslie Bibb has joined the cast of The Following for Season 2. She'll play Jana Murphy, a suburban housewife who eventually ends up in Joe Carroll's presence. Whether she's a victim or a follower is unclear. [TV Guide]

• Comments (132)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • jj8321 Oct 04, 2013

I still like Two and a half Men. :( lol, am I the only one left?

• the-tester Oct 31, 2013

The first season with Ashton was fun, until the Alan character had his breakdown. The there was this long stretch of dull and I was so hoping for this British girl; she was hillarious. Nevertheless, now that Amber Tamblyn is in, I just love it again. I just enjoy her acting, whichever role she acts.

• ravynjensen Oct 03, 2013

After having seen the original British version of Broadchurch I was dreading the remake, let's face it, a good remake of a British show is the exception, not the rule.

But finding out the original creator & David Tennant are involved means I'll happily watch it, this news really made my day.

Then again, I also believe the more Tennant the better :)

• smorbie Oct 05, 2013

Yay! David Tennant. I had no intention of watching, but I've just changed my mind.

• the-tester Oct 31, 2013

David <3

• Writerpatrick Oct 03, 2013

The first week of a show is only a partial indicator as to how well a show will do. There were a lot of people who checked out SHIELD last week but didn't stick around. I don't have the numbers but I'm guessing many SHIELD fans are deciding to download the episodes instead. The big question will be how much the show drops next week. I think people are watching it, but they're just choosing to watch it later.

• MarlboroMagpi Oct 03, 2013

I had seen Broadchurch and I must say I think THE FALL is better. It rather see them remake THE FALL than Broadchurch. I saw on wiki that Broadchurch will have season 2 so now the the creator is doing an American version, will he be doing season 2 ?

• mad-pac Dec 29, 2013

Definitely The Fall, but only if David Tennant is the lead.

• AriSky Oct 03, 2013

More Tennant = more viewers.

• darkitp Oct 03, 2013

the only thing that will destroy Two and a half men , is if Jon Cryer got really greedy and asked the double what Christopher Ashton Kutcher take as a salary per episode , which means 1.4 million

with that , either CBS agree to his demand , or he get out with the rest of the original crew

• MaggieBaird Oct 03, 2013

DAVID TENNANT

• phonzee101 Oct 03, 2013

Sheldon with Bill Nye the Science Guy. F and YEAH.

• CaitlinRice Oct 03, 2013

Yeah, that Leslie Bibb casting is a bit of a head scratcher.

Bill Nye!!!

Cavemen definitely win.

• AndreaMcCooey Oct 03, 2013

How does Kevin James keep getting work?? He is horrendous. I am getting worried about this new 10/90 trend. Seems like its going to fill the airwaves with alot of shite. And there is more than enough of that already.

Is 8.4 million still not a pretty awesome number? Its more than the number of people who live in my country. Double it, in fact. So, I would be pretty happy with that sort of viewership for my show. Guess it just shows that some people only tuned in because of the hype. Granted, the second episode wasnt all that great, but I still think the show as a whole has the potential to be incredible.

Colin Hanks will always be Alex in Roswell to me. He just doesnt seem old enough to be playing a father!

Justified is going to be incredible next season, I can't wait.

• See More Comments (28)