News Briefs: Doctor Who's Twelfth Doctor Will Be Announced During a Live Special This Sunday

By Tim Surette

Aug 02, 2013

HOORAY FOR TIME DIFFERENCES NEWS

... Cheerio, indeed! One of geek television's biggest mysteries will be unveiled this Sunday when the BBC announces who will play Doctor Who's twelfth doctor. The reveal will happen live at 7pm England o'clock on BBC One during the Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor special. But America will also get the announcement live, courtesy of BBC America, which for us New Worlders means 2pm on the Least Coast and 11am on the Best Coast. Place your bets on who it will be, I've got money on Rowan "Mr. Bean" Atkinson. [BBC America via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... Let's keep it British with news from Fox that it will be adapting the U.K. drama Broadchurch. The idea is to make a "long-form event series," and let me just stop right there to say DAMMIT NETWORKS JUST CALL THEM MINISERIES! You aren't fooling anyone! Argh! Anyway, Broadchurch follows the investigation of the death of a young boy by some detective-types. Fox is eying the 2014-2015 season for its debut. What are the chances Fox f*cks it up? 90 percent? 95 percent? The original version premieres on BBC America next week. [Fox via press release]

... Fox is guessing that Glee will end in two years, which is about three years too late. Ha! Anyway, the show has already been renewed for those two years, but if some breakout stars come along Fox would consider extending it. [TV Line]

... More Glee news: Network president Kevin Reilly says that Glee will address the absence of Finn Hudson, who was played by late actor Cory Monteith, in the third episode of the season. There have been lots of questions surrounding how Fox would handle Monteith's death, and if you want to know how his character will be written off the show, click the link. [Variety]

... ABC is developing Travelers, from Life of Pi screenwriter David Magee. The science-fiction series follows a family who discovers that doors in their grandfather's estate are portals to other times, trapping them in the house and sending them all over the place, space, and time. [Deadline Hollywood]

... WEtv has renewed Marriage Boot Camp: Bridezillas for a second season of 10 episodes to air in 2014. In the show, lady Godzillas join the Army or something? [WEtv via press release]

... Bravo has renewed Million Dollar Listing NY, or as I call it, Every New York Listing, for a third season. The reality show follows real estate agents in New York. [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING NEWS

... Fox has another miniseries coming up in 24: Live Another Day, and Chloe will be back for it. The network announced today that Mary Lynn Rajskub will reprise her role as systems analyst Chloe O'Brian in the sendoff for the action thriller. Look for it in 2014. [Fox via press release]

... Jennifer Lopez is thiiiiiis close to returning to American Idol as a judge. And Keith Urban is even closer, because he's definitely returning. [People / Fox via press release]

... 90210's Trevor Donovan will guest-star on Lifetime's Drop Dead Diva, in case you're Trevor Donovan's mom and are wondering what he's up to. He'll play a really, really, really bad best man. [THR]

JUICY GOSSIP ABOUT CELEBS MISBEHAVING

... American Idol mastermind Simon Cowell got his friend's wife pregnant! Ruh-roh. [TMZ]

• Comments (62)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • No1Slayerette Aug 03, 2013

Wow, anyone who don't know would think Doctor Who's a big deal or something.

• Johnny-E Aug 03, 2013

GO TEAM "WHO LAURIE" ! - because for once give us a real doctor ;)

• ted2332 Aug 02, 2013

Chloe is the real star of 24.
    If she wasn't there Jack would last about an hour.

• WillYouKindly Aug 02, 2013

He got by just fine in seasons 1 and 2... and she was just annoying in 3.

• Johnny-E Aug 03, 2013

This comment has been removed.

• JT_Kirk Aug 02, 2013

"West Coast is Best Coast" - nicely done. Only now I can't help but think of that "North Korea is Best Korea" meme. I bet the new Doctor will be *some random choice that Americans don't know*. What's that, I already win all the money in the pool? Yay!

Ha ha, Fox won't air Broadchurch as-is, you can't get me to make book on those odds, it's 100% and you know it.

• 2muchbadTV Aug 02, 2013

I'm convinced that something went down that we don't know about with this whole Dr. Who thing. It was less than a month before Matt Smith announced his departure that this very site, tv.com, ran articles about Smith and Coleman would both be returning for at least a full season. On top of that, they just went to a lot of trouble to screen a new companion with Smith, something that's not done lightly from what I understand. Why not keep Amy/Rory and change everybody over at once, if it was planned. So now she suddenly gets just a few eps with him, suddenly the contracts and news about staying on vanished, and coupled with some British websites I troll revealing that the show's funding has been screwed with quite a bit by the BBC in the last couple of years......it all adds up to something fishy, and nobody can convince me otherwise. And so for my favorite doctor leaving--whether planned or not--can I just say........GODDAMMIT SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

• 2muchbadTV Aug 02, 2013

Oh yeah....a commenter below noted something I left out. The other Doctors since the reboot have been announced well in advance. Starting with Tennant being cast first but Eccleston agreeing to 1 season as a favor to Russell Davies. Matt Smith was revealed more than a year in advance of his time on the show. It's just one more oddity that makes me think this happened abruptly, for some unknown reason.

• Aquitar94 Aug 02, 2013

Can't wait for Sunday that's for sure! And I think I'll just watch Broadchurch on BBC America and pass on Fox's version lol

• CaitlinRice Aug 02, 2013

This comment has been removed.

• thekaitling Aug 02, 2013

That's kind of the impression I got as well. I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

• EricWelsch Aug 02, 2013

In what universe is Chloe considered a fan favorite? She is LITERALLY the worst tv character (and possibly actress) ever to grace a TV screen.

• vicbjones Aug 04, 2013

It would be nice if people on the Internet knew what the word "literally" meant. Or do you think the world revolves around you?

• jekyll Aug 02, 2013

Why would I possibly watch FOX's Broadchurch when the real thing airs next week? If you want to air the thing so badly, buy the rights to air the real thing. However much money the BBC stands to make from airing it on BBC America is probably much less than what FOX would pony up to air it. Americans won't explode if they hear British accents.

• JT_Kirk Aug 02, 2013

Americans don't all watch cable, and there's gold to be mined from advertising to eyeballs. Fox doesn't know what original ideas are, so they take whatever they can find and hope for the best.

• sofaspud2 Aug 02, 2013

Look forward to this & have set Tivo. "Crime Traveller" is a good but lesser-known Brit scifi time travel show, a review can be found by Googling "Crime Traveller classictvdvdreviews"

• See More Comments (17)