Brotherhood

Show Reviews (14)

Great

Somehow I never heard of this show?

By nahga1, Jun 15, 2013

I don't know how the hell that happened. Seems like something I would like.

Good production values, but offers only themes of brutality and greed.

By JuarezTraveller, Feb 19, 2011

The quality of production is good, offering good settings and lighting, excellent sound, and appropriate costuming. However, in the first two episodes, not one character can be described as a good person. (We don't even know enough about the victims to know if they are good people or not.) Everyone is motivated by no more that absolute self-interest, often to the point of violence. Even when a leading character, a corrupt politician, expresses criticism to his sociopathic brother for hurting others, it is out of concern for his career.

This program is unrewarding and contributes to the brutalization of our culture.moreless

A show that proves you don't need an incidental score to create drama.

By AegisAtreyu, Mar 17, 2008

I never got into The Sopranos so when I heard about the rave reviews this show was getting I was dubious to give it a try. I'm glad I did cos it has themes to do with politics that I find really interesting. It's quite deep and a show that you feel compelled to watch without knowing why. The fact that its so Raw and has no discernible incidental score yet is compelling is half it's charm, the other half is its character's who are all 3 dimensional and relate to each other as a family unit. In fact family is a very important theme in the show which even translates to secondary families like Tommy Caffee's (the politician brother) relation to the other politician's. Michael Caffee (the gangster brother) has the same with his businesses and their owners that he extorts from. Pete, his righthand man in the first season doesn't like his affiliation with Michael and turns to drink and drugs - Michael Caffee vows to save him from his alcoholism as he's like a brother. The First Season a lot of people may find boring and lose interest as it does drag and the balance is not quite right. Part of the balance problem involves Rose (the 2 brother's manipulative mother) who has a bigger role and is far more active in the first season. Her role in the second season now she doesn't have a job sees her scheming side come to the fore more especially with the introduction of the Irish Cousin Colin. This addresses the balance and pacing well as you almost lose the third thread (featuring even more character's not central to the brother's stories) which made it drag. Colin through Rose links into the 2 lives of both Tommy and Michael as he ends up working for Michael but also spending a hell of a lot of time with Rose and in particular a senile colleague of Tommy's. Altogether the show gets better and better and I look forward to the third season.moreless

Most under rated show on television...

By cmdeluca, Feb 18, 2008

Brotherhood is the most under rated show on television. If this show was advertised more... or if it was on HBO instead of Showtime it would be HUGE... It would be critically acclaimed.. As it stands it is relatively unknown but if you are thinking about whether or not to give it a try then I say you have to.. You wont regret it.. The acting is great.. The script is great... There is no cheesiness.. just a gripping story line that leaves you wanting more each episode.. Brotherhood is a must watch and one of the top five best shows on TV..moreless

By by Sopranos hello Brotherhood.

By moneyman1982, Jan 17, 2008

When i first saw Brotherhood being advertised,to be honest i thought this was going to be a rip off of Soprano's but instead of it being the Italian mob it was the Irish.But now that Soprano's is done I thought,ok let's give it a chance.It was a slow starting first epsisode,but after a while all the action starts to begin.It' a well chosen cast and all characters bring Brotherhood to life.Dont get me wrong it's not as good as Soprano's,but it's not far off.If you like your tv series with twists and sexy action and lot's of violence than i suggest you give Brotherhood a chance as i'm already hooked and can't wait for more.The cast is'nt well known,but dont let this put you off.The whole series basis it self around the two main characters who are brothers.Tommy who's is a local politician and the straight living family man,and then mike the gangster and not so straight living brother.Brotherhood is a great mafia based series as you see the story from the good and the bad side.It's well worth a watch as i'm glad i gave it a chance.moreless

The Sopranos, Rhode Island Irish style

By lawgotham, Jan 10, 2008

I've come to this show kind of late but it is really, really good. It's about and Irish family in Providence Rhode Island and how it comes to grips with today's world.

(Mind you, i've begun watching midway during season 2.)

It's set around two brothers Michael and Tommy Caffee. One is a mobster, the other a state representative. Michael the councilman is married to Eileen, the drug doing, sleeping around wench. Tommy is shacked up with another woman. A cousin has arrived from Ireland and he's now a gangster too. There is a boss who runs things, Freddi Cork and he doesn't ask much. Just don't screw him. The matriarch is Rose Caffee and she is a piece of work too.

The only difference between this show and the Sopranos is there are no visits to the psychologist. There are plenty of twists and turns, infidelities and mob hits. I can't say how good it is. It really is a sleeper. Understated. Watch it.moreless

This story follows several characters, a drug-addicted housewife, a blossoming teen girl, an aging Irish grandmother and two corrupt cops, but the central characters are brothers on the other side of the law, politican Tommy Caffee and gangster Michael.

By kinglepper, Jan 05, 2007

I have to admit, I am a sucker for anything to do with the criminal underworld, and so was highly anticipating this show. To say that I was disappointed most of the time would be an understatement, but there were some parts which had me glued to the screen, unable to take my eyes off it. I think that the pace definately has to speeden up, there is too much talking and not enough bloody violence, secondly I would pretty much drop the wife and the mother, no-one cares if she\'s depressed and taking drugs, I mean who really wants to watch a big-headed woman smoke dope, if I wanted that I\'d just spend a night with Paris Hilton. And the mother, for **** sake man, christ, she\'s so mind-numbingly dull. All she does is **** and whinge and just, to be honest, just makes me want to be physically sick. So drop them and you may have a good show in the making.moreless

Great show.

By brunt7, Sep 18, 2006

I don't know what to say when people compare Sopranos with Brotherhood. Because I have never watched Sopranos. But when people say that Brotherhood is like Sopranos, I really want to see Sopranos. Because Brotherhood is a great show. And I don't say that just because I have a crush on Jason Isaacs, I say that because I think it's true. It could have a little more action, but it will come, believe me. I hope that they keep this show. I really like it. Everything about it actually. It's a gangster show, and I think that is very interesting to watch. I will miss Brotherhood if they cancel it, so I hope they don't.moreless

A great show and hopes it stays around a long time!

By JPPT1974, Sep 17, 2006

This is a great show and I hope that it stays

Around for a long time. One brother is a politician

And loving family man while one man is a gangster trying

To buy up the town. The family man brother is trying to do his best not to let his estranged gangster brother ruin his town but then something that comes between them as a love-hate bound happens.

I wanted a different classification, but 'Underappreciated' fits so well!

By SR915, Sep 10, 2006

I wanted a different classification, but 'Underappreciated' fits so well!

When I first read this show and saw the Pilot, I instantly had visions of Showtime's popular show Sleeper Cell in my mind. While I still think even that was underappreciated, it generated much more hype as the season progressed, some even claiming it to be better than 24.

So this was what I though Brotherhood had in its very near future. A slow first few episodes, but by word of mouth people would discover this incredible new show. But it hasn't, and that's a crime in itself!

First of all, Brotherhood fits my taste and interests perfectly. I study American Studies and International Politics at University, and I am a huge fan of gangster films. The writing and insight into the low-level US domestic politics and the criminal underworld that coexists in this working class neighbourhood is exceptional. While other shows are labelled 'gritty' such as The Shield and early seasons of 24, they were still highly stylised. This is where Brotherhood excels.

Watching Brotherhood actually puts me at a state of unease. The violence is brutal and not glamourised at all. There is no glory in the actions of Michael. He is a gangster, doing bad things, and he knows it. Watching the Shield you can often say to yourself, yes, that was wrong, but Mackey was doing the right thing, morally. Here the lines are so much more blurred, and I love it!

I recognise that people watch TV to escape, and they want entertaining, not to be shocked or feel violated. But this show is a landmark show, and it deserves alot more praise.

I hope it gets it in the following weeks.moreless

Load More Reviews