Brother's Keeper

Fair
6.3

Ruined by being on TGIF

By benchervin, Jul 28, 2008

Brother's Keeper was a show about a single dad raising a 9 year old boy. The father was a college professor who taught his son many facts and how to enjoy learning.

Then comes along the uncle, an immature guy who plays for the San Fransisco 49ers. He moves in and is the opposite of his professor brother. This show aired in 1998 as a part of the TGIF line up on ABC. It ran for 1 season of 23 episodes and then was canceled. I think that the reason it was canceled was because it was aimed at an audience slightly older than the TGIF crowd. The TGIF crowd was generally early to mid teenagers, and Brother's Keeper was aimed at adults, mainly. The fact that it had a 9 year old in it didn't stop it from containing more mature subject matter. I wouldn't deny a young teenager from watching it, but if this show had been marketed towards an adult audience, it probably would have lasted several seasons. I watched this show again on Hulu.com recently, and I thought it was a very funny show, a show that deserved more than a slot on a teenage Friday night line up.moreless

Review

By hsgodfre0, Oct 26, 2005

Well no recent reviews so I migth as well write one. The idea behind in the show was not very creative. Younger wild brothers who play for a football team decides to move into older uptight brothers house and is a single father of a son. Younger wild brother teaches older uptight brother and son to be more loose and enjoy things, it's been done before. And also has been done since then, just look a two and half men (with the house situation reversed).

The difference between two and half men though and brother keeper is two and half men is funny. Obviously the writing is better and charlie sheen is actually good in that show. Yes I actually wrote that, I'm shocked too.

Anyhow Brothers Keeper's main problem was the fact the actors weren't very good, their relationship seemed phony, and the kid wasn't used enough. The kid was the only well known actor since everyone knew him from Liar, Liar. Anyway no one is going to miss this show, not even me.moreless