Episode Reviews (21)

Good
7.7

By arkanitoo, Jul 09, 2012

I find this entire episode an amiable waste of time. There's a few good scenes in a horribly uninteresting, but surprisingly well-paced, main plot. This isn't a bad episode, it's just meaningless. The Gorch brothers don't add anything but some light Texan fun to the mix. An interesting digression, though, is that the little creatures that attach themselves to a host body remind me of the creatures from the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode called "Conspiracy" where this alien lifeform is taking over Starfleet Command by using similar creatures as here to control Starfleet Officers. Anyway...

The only things really worth mentioning, besides the frequent shots of Buffy's cleavage, are the developing relationships. The Xander and Cordelia relationship is ridiculous. They can't keep making out in broom closets for very much longer before getting boring to watch. For now, though, there's still some amusement to be had. The Buffy and Angel relationship, though, is seriously heating up. Buffy says, "Angel, when I look into the future, a-a... all I see is you! All I want is you." They're all over each other here and you can tell that sex isn't far behind. It's also nice seeing Joyce slam her foot down on Buffy's seemingly bad behavior, even though it really doesn't do any good.

Angel asks Buffy, "So you don't think about the future?" She replies, "No." In the series finale, "Chosen" (7x22), Buffy shows that she's learned something over the years by saying, "I'm not really thinking that far ahead. That's kinda the point ... (calling after him) Angel. (he pauses) I do sometimes think that far ahead." She finally realizes she is still young and does not need a serious relationship any time soon. Buffy really doesn't understand this concept right now.

That's where all the fun ends though. The rest of the episode is filled with, well, simply nothing worth even mentioning except for the fact that now Cordelia of all people can knock Buffy out with one hit to the head. What in the heck is wrong with the writers!? This has become an annoying trend throughout this season and will be discussed further in the S2 review. So, that's about all there is to say about this one. This is definitely the calm before the storm.moreless

Not the best

By joxerlives, Jan 19, 2012

Bad Eggs;

The Good;

Neat opening scene with the mirror. Some creepy 'Invasion of the Bodysnatchers' stuff including the great scene where Giles' looks at the kids at the bottom of the stairs, you think they're already possessed. Great scene with Giles and Joyce in the library (love the way that even possessed Giles still covers up Buffy being the Slayer) and a genuine shock when Giles' sticks the creature on her. Not really much else.

The Bad;

The Gorch's are pathetic as an enemy whilst the monsters are very badly done.

Kinky dinky;

Buffy being swallowed up by the beast in the cellar reminiscent of vore fetishism (beautiful women enjoying being swallowed whole by giant snakes, carnivarous plants etc just load vore into your search engine and you'll see what I mean )

Best line;

Xander; "You've got to keep your egg safe and teach it Christian values"

Willow; "My egg is Jewish!"

Xander "Then teach it that dradle song"

and

Giles "The Gorch's made their name by massacaring a whole village full of Mexicans"

Buffy "Par for the course"

Giles "No this is before they became vampires"

also like;

Xander "Well I guess we know what happened Professor Whitmore"

Cordy "He saw this and ran away?"

Xander "Try best case scenario!"

Questions and observations;

Considering what we learn in 'Normal Again' Buffy's remark to Joyce about saving the world from vampires is very reckless. What's painful about this ep is that Buffy and Joyce obviously love each other and Buffy wants to be a good daughter but slaying always gets in the way.

The Gorch's know Angelus? They really don't seem to be his kind people. Jonathon back once more. In a previous post I stated that Giles and Tara were the only Buffy characters never to go bad but I was wrong, Giles is possessed here so Tara seems to be the only one who never went evil. Cordy refers to having sex in a car, so she's no longer a virgin? (if so the first of the younger Scoobies to be so). Love the way Buffy and Willow get so maternal about their eggs. BUT Angel mentions for the first time that he can't have children although we later find that isn't true, at least in Connor's case. Buffy fighting the parasite is very like the scene in Aliens where Newt and Ripley are trapped in the lab with the facehuggers, right down to the plucking strings music. Buffy and Xander and ultimately everyone else knocked out. Presumably the parasites need a conscious/sleeping host which is why they lock them in the closet. No one dies although actually that's not as unusual as I first thought, Halloween, When she was Bad, The Witch and quite a few other eps have no human deaths whatsoever.

Joyce refuses to buy Buffy an outfit because it makes her look like a streetwalker. Considering some of the things Buffy DOES wear in the first three seasons it must have been the full Julia Roberts?

4/10, awful story saved by the character elements and a few good lines, very nearly the worst episode of Buffy ever

moreless

These Eggs Should Be Scrambled

By lenzinoH20, Feb 26, 2011

Bad Eggs-The students are given eggs to look after, to teach them about the responsibilities of parenthood. Between trying to protect her egg and dealing with the vampire brothers Lyle and Tector Gorch, Buffy doesn't notice that her egg is about to hatch.

Where back to the monster of the week themes that involve the "classic movie monsters" method of episodes. This episode also comes off as a watered down version and in this case, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It just plays out like basic episode where " new threat comes-we find out what it is-Buffy kills it-episode over" format which is just boring. Watching everyone walk around like mindless dronzes feels like you're watching cheap horror movie instead of Buffy. I mean the idea of the typical teen parent egg assignment leading to all the eggs being creepy crawlers that can take over you body is fine, but the episode does nothing with the overused plot that we haven't seen many times before. Even the movie "The Faculty" was more creative with this type of storyline! The Grotch brothers who make their appearence have to be some of the lamest villains ever. They are played like the cliche dumb southerns with no redeeming quailites and they are just annoyances throughout. Glad one of the them got eaten, I guess the Bazore wasn't so bad after all! Also, the sub-plot with Joyce grounding Buffy made no sense and especially why she was still made at her afterwards. All and All, despite some creepy looking little demons and some hilarious interaction between Xander and Cordelia, the eggs weren't the only thing bad about the episode, it was in itself.moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 13, 2010

Bad Eggs was a superb episode remniscent of the body snatchers and disturbing behaviour. It was a good story where a few minor stories over lapped each other. I thought that the premise of the stories were very good as well. I thought the cowboy vampires were funny. It was haunting to watch the eggs hatch and its contents scurrying about Buffy's room. It made me shudder. The source of the eggs was a nasty parasitical monster burrowed beneath the school. Buffy saves the day but that doesn't save her from her Mothers wrath when she finds out Buffy has disobeyed her again.moreless

Season 2, Episode 12.

By Wanted23, Apr 17, 2009

The class is assigned eggs to watch as an assignment to teach them about parenthood. However, the eggs hatch into little creatures that take over their "parents" once they attach themselves. I liked the scene in the beginning in the mall. I remembered that scene and I always liked it. Plus, I like the way Cordelia and Xander act, and Cordelia trying to get Xander in the closet while they were at the library. Plus, Xander almost ate his egg. Haha. I loved when Buffy was talking about the future with Angel and she said she only saw him. Cool ending too, as always. Can't wait to watch the rest of the season.moreless

Fake babies turn real evil.

By addict666, Jul 31, 2008

This is a really entertaining episode. Cordelia and Xander are great in the closet and then in class when they are facing off over the 'consequences' of sex. I love how they have to make out in the broom closet because they are too embarrassed to be together. Buffy and Angel are also under the influence of their hormones as they make out incessantly in the cemetery. The eggs going crazy and attacking them are really funny and I love how everyone gets involved ending up with the excellent excuse of a gas leak. A really funny episode that features some good scenes between Cordelia and Xander.moreless

A messy episode, likely because of the retooling they had to do when they decided to keep Spike around.

By ticktock24, Jun 29, 2007

Considering Marti Noxon just came off writing a two part episode and had to write this one to fill the gap between major points in the season, this episode feels rushed from exhaustion. Spike’s reprieve meant some changes had to be made to the arc, and unfortunately it was too late to dramatically modify what was leftover. They had to do what they could with the existing pieces to put them aside, but it doesn’t quite work. The episode is slapped together, but there is some set up for the second half of the season.

The main storyline relies too heavily on the audience forgetting certain plot holes and errors (never mind the self-fixing egg). While Mr. Whitmore is responsible for unleashing the eggs on the students, it isn’t clear why he did it. Does he worship Bezoar or is he another person wrapped around its finger? If the latter’s the case, who or what caused him to be a host? And when the demon is killed and its victims regain their bearings, what happens to him?

The body snatcher plot line also feels like another wasted opportunity. Such a storyline is perfect for “Buffy”, especially analogous for the group think common in high school. It might’ve been more compelling to have students disappear throughout the episode to work in the basement or roaming campus in a trance while the last non possessed try to figure out and foil the plan before they’re turned as well.

The Gorches are the odd ball story in this episode. They could’ve been meant to be a major piece of the season’s story, but as they realized Spike would be a better adversary added with the short amount of time they had to rethink their plan, they rewrote their role. Because of that, they are a tacked on side show to the main event, apparent in the irrelevant scene where they fight in the sewer tunnel. Perhaps their knowledge of Angel and his history could’ve been setting up something from their Plan A for the season arc, but the game changed.

Joyce’s anger over Buffy feels forced, especially after their reconciliation at the end of “Ted”. This story more to sets up future episodes as Buffy’s destiny strains her relationship with her mother. All of their fights in this episode spring from Buffy’s slayer duties, from saving the girl at the mall to the late night patrolling to being angry that Buffy wasn’t where she said she would be, the area of the “gas leak”.

Giles and Joyce’s scene is interesting, despite Giles not being completely himself. Seeing Buffy’s parental figures shows an interesting juxtaposition between those who know Buffy’s secret and those who don’t and how that affects their attitude. Joyce thinks Buffy’s irresponsible and Giles thinks she is the opposite. During this scene there are also hints of a possible romance between the two, which is a bit more subtle than other relationships on the show.

Considering their behavior, the fact that no one in the gang has realized that Cordelia and Xander have started a romantic relationship makes them look dumb. Between the not so subtle fight in sex ed to Cordelia’s insistence on checking closets for Mr. Whitmore, anyone can see that there’s more to it than them just acting weird.

There is a lot of emphasis on the physical nature of Buffy and Angel’s relationship. Through most of the episode they’re making out, even when they’re supposed to be patrolling for bad guys. Clearly the camera panning to the headstone engraving “In Loving Memory” is a not so subtle visual of what’s to come in this relationship, and the frequent kissing is a farewell to viewers.

There are also some big moments that could’ve been dealt with, but are underplayed or ignored. Giles at one point in the climax rushes towards Buffy to attack and Joyce almost swings a pickaxe into Buffy’s skull. Demon/other supernatural entity possession served “Buffy” and “Angel” very well, but they don’t utilize it. This might’ve been because they just did it in “The Dark Age” and future episodes in the season would deal with it, but no real follow up feels out of character.

Overall, this episode is all over the place. The three main stories have little to hold them together, which makes the presumed theme of responsibility obscured. Their decision to retool the season with Spike living might’ve influenced that, but only too late for them to do much about the remaining pieces of the original plan. It is a disappointing episode, but by the next episode, the show would start to hit its stride.moreless

Buffy has to take care of demonic eggs.

By heart_sark, Apr 22, 2007

Whenever I watch season 2 of Buffy, I usually skip this episode. It is the absolute worst of the series. It is really goofy and cliche and not as original or funny as a typical episode of buffy. It does not belong as an episode in this season and really just serves as filler until suprise and innocence.

Vampires, Cordelia and Xander making out, health project, Buffy and Angel making out, vampires, Buffy and Angel make out again, evil monster and Buffy and Angel making out again

By Slayergirlkal, Apr 08, 2007

If you wanna see making out a lot this is your episode of Buffy. Honestly that's what this episode was all about. Cordelia and Xander were hiding in the closet making out in the dark then later they were sneaking around to make out again. Angel and Buffy were all tongue when they were supposed to be patrolling too.

The Gorch brothers were stupid. They were semi interesting but mostly just stupid. I did like when they showed up at the school at the end and were fighting Buffy but other than that they were just stupid. I loved health class. Cordelia and Xander were so funny there. I loved how the teacher asked a rhetorical question and Xander so went for it that was funny. I loved Cordelia and Xander raising their hands to pretty much insult each other it was probably the best part of the entire episode.

Buffy getting grounded was as usual a highlight. It was great to see Joyce and Buffy interacting. I loved seeing Joyce trying to crack bad parenting jokes, they made the episode slightly more bearable.

The eggs being evil was almost expected. It was creepy to see the thing inside of it though it was kinda nasty. The demon mother having the school under her thrall was sort of lame. I did enjoy Cordelia and Willow hitting Buffy and Xander over the head and throwing them in a closet.

I liked that Giles told everyone in the end that the problem was a gas leak and then he asked Xander what had really happened and Xander just told him to stick with the gas leak story. Joyce freaking out on Buffy after the whole ordeal was classic and expected. Joyce couldn't accept what had happened and as such she punished Buffy.

In conclusion everything was very expected and as such lame and Angel and Buffy spent way too much time making out.moreless

Buffy must deal with two formidable vamps while also taking care of a seemingly normal egg for her parenting class.

By ZDonnelly85, Mar 18, 2007

This is the first appearance of the Gorches, who return in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds graphic novel mini-series. These two retards are funny as all hell. Lyle Gorch reminds me so much of Larry the Cable guy that I wonder if he designed her comedic persona after Lyle gorch. Probably not, but it would be funny if he did. Also during this episode some of the difficulties of Buffy's relationship with Angel are brought to the forefront. Buffy is taking care of an egg for he parenting class, which turns out to be a demon egg, and the subject of having children comes up in a conversation with her and Angel. Naturally, since Angel is dead, he can't have children. This raises questions in Buffy and Angel's minds about what their future would be like.moreless

Load More Reviews