Episode Reviews (33)

Great

By arkanitoo, Jul 13, 2012

This is a very funny episode that unfortunately has a couple problems. Willow and Xander's silly romance still bugs me to no end. This is really out of character for both of them. Yes, Willow had a big crush on Xander in S1 and into S2, but Xander only returned those feelings once, in "When She Was Bad" (2x01). They both have a boyfriend/girlfriend now, and they wouldn't both betray them like that; it's not in their personalities. The episode is making it out to be a cute moment between them when all it does is make me cringe.

Back in "Surprise" (2x13) Buffy gives her mom a little speech about feeling more responsible now that she's 17. It's fun to see Joyce saying 'no' to Buffy's continuous requests to drive. Also very interesting is the fact that Joyce believes Giles is taking up too much of Buffy's time. This is a natural extension to how she felt back in "Anne" (3x01) when telling Giles that he had an entire relationship with Buffy behind her back. This is great character development and follow-through.

Buffy wants more adult responsibilities, but when her 'parents' start acting like reckless teenagers she becomes very uncomfortable not having those 'parents' there to help her when things get messy. She wants her mom to be the serious parents and she needs Giles to be a responsible Watcher again. This issue is followed up in a very serious way beginning with "The Body" (5x16) and continuing throughout S6 and S7.

It's really fun, and surprisingly interesting, seeing the "adults acting like teens" premise play out. Giles is all cocky, Joyce wants his approval, and Snyder is a nerd who wants to be in Buffy's group. Somehow it all seems to make sense based on what little we know of these characters' pasts (Giles being the exception). Because of that exploration this turns out to be a great plot. It's even better knowing that Ethan's candy curse was just a ruse to allow a baby-eating ritual to go through unscathed. The fact that the Mayor is ultimately responsible for the entire scheme, and that Buffy doesn't find out, makes it even better.

There's a couple small things I really liked as well. First is how easily Ethan gives up the information about his part in the scheme. Another amusing moment is when the Mayor makes a phone call about needing sewer repairs while waiting for the ritual to begin. As a package, this episode really delivers as a fun basic premise with a cool little twist thrown in. On top of all that we get little touches of character development from Giles, Joyce, Snyder, and Buffy. It's not perfect, but I definitely enjoyed it.moreless

SWEET!

By joxerlives, Jan 19, 2012

The Good;

The more Joyce in an episode the better it is. She and Ripper and all the adults are just hilarious. Also lovely to see Ethan Rayne (I always figured that if Giles was to die he would reform and become Buffy's new Watcher). Love to have seen Buffy's dream but that would be probably beyond the SFX department. Altogether fabulous.

The Bad;

Lurconis looks a bit lame but certainly better than the preying mantis. It rather spoils the suprise of Ethan Rayne being the villain when Robin Sach's name is in the opening titles

Best line; Buffy (as Joyce produces the cuffs) "Never tell me!"

Shot; Giles threatened with a gun and uses it on Ethan but no shots fired

Tied up; Ethan and possibly Joyce or Giles in handcuffs

Knocked out; for once Giles stays conscious but knocks out a policeman

Kinky dinky; see Tied Up. Personally I always thought that Joyce and Giles had had sex on the hood of the police car but maybe that's just me?

Calling Captain Subtext; "Wanna swap?" What a shame we never got to see an Oz/Cordy relationship (not even in any fanfic I've ever read) I mean Cordy has dated plenty of guys in bands before? Also when Xander says he wants to marry Miss Barton (always had a thing for older women) Cordy replies "Get in line!"

Guantanamo Bay; Buffy beats up Ethan for information

Questions and observations;

Joyce and Giles drink that awful Khalua stuff (or however you spell it) Could Joyce be the slutty pumpkin? (a prize to whoever can recognise THAT reference!). Whoa Summers you drive like a spaz! Nice to see that Buffy isn't necessarily good at everything, always annoyed me about Xena that she was brilliant at everything even if she was a demi-god (except cooking and music but Joxer and Gabby could each do both for her). Ethan obviously has a few reservations about what he's doing to judge by his expression when Trick kills the worker. Joyce like's 70s singer Juice Newton who's big hit was interestingly "Angel of the morning". Whenever I see a green 4x4 nowadays I always think 'the Geek machine' or 'The Joyce mobile'. You do feel pity for teenage Snyder, he apparently did Tae Kwan Do which is SMG's martial art. What happens to Ethan? They tie him up but then what? You can kill vamps with a pencil? Their skin must be a lot softer than human.

Buffy refers to the 'Real World House' another modern reference she wouldn't know if she was really a mad girl in an asylum. According to the Sunnydale High Yearbook the Band Candy raised $600,000 for the band. Lovely to see Joyce and Giles take centre stage for once

What does Dawn do as Joyce revisits her youth? Xander and WIllow, awwww. Buffy drives without insurance or a licence. But she spends her life walking around with offensive weapons so breaking the law should come naturally to her. No Faith this week, she's not even mentioned. Love the Mayor/Trick scene at the end, once again Harry Groener is subtly threatening (not what he says, how he says it) whilst Todd Freeman gives a great performance, trying to be cool and offhand but obviously scared witless. Love the reference to Death of a Salesman.

Need you ask? 10/10

moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 14, 2010

Band Candy was a hilarious episode full of old foes, new villians, and lots of mayhem! I really enjoyed watching this as many of the characters were affected by the Band Candy, and the adults turned back into teenagers mentally. It was funny to see what some of them did, and especially since they remember. There was also some good action, and more depth to story lines of this season. The Mayor is doing Dark Deeds, with Mr. Trick as his associate. Then there is Giles and Buffy's Mom, they had a good old time listening to Great Music. The episode was an over all succuss and important to the story lines of the season.moreless

Season 3, Episode 6.

By Wanted23, Apr 22, 2009

Mr. Trick enlists Ethan Rayne into manufacturing and distributing candy bars that make the adults that eat them act like impossible teenagers.

I thought this episode was OK. It wasn't my favorite storyline, but it was still kinda good. I liked when Xander said, "Am I the only one that wants to marry Miss Barton?" and Cordelia is just like, "Get in line." Haha, then Miss Barton shows up at The Bronze! Haha. Plus, I like Buffy's dangerous driving. Plus, David Boreanaz was shirtless, which was awesome! I liked when Joyce said she knew how to order Pay-per-view. LOL and then Snyder thought he was cool... Decent episode. :)moreless

Snyder: Hey! Gang! This place is fun city, huh?!

By addict666, Aug 01, 2008

So Ethan's back and he is changing things up as he does best. My favorite part of this episode is the interactions between Giles and Joyce, they are really funny together as their teenage selves and it's nice to see them playing outside of their normal roles. Buffy having to play watch dog over them is great as well. Snyder is also really funny in this episode and I really like how he insists on tagging along the whole time which shows off that he was an annoying teenager who turned into a bitter and mean old man. The candy that drives everyone young is a really clever idea and this was a really funny episode.moreless

Parents become kids in an episode all about responsibility.

By ticktock24, Jul 25, 2008

Throughout the series there have been episodes where identities were distorted in a way to develop the characters and/or advance the plot. Last season's sixth episode, "Halloween", did that, exploring some subconscious desires of the wearer. Unlike many of those instances, this episode decides to alter the identities of the supporting cast (excepting Giles) to help mend some of the residual problems from season two between Buffy and her guardians. The producers have said this episode turns on the common teenage wish that their parents were "cool" (ie just like them). With no one to be responsible, it turns scary. That may have been the intent, but ultimately the episode is far more comic.

Buffy, like any teenager, desires freedom and greater independence from her parents or parental figures in the case of Giles. However, she has to face the consequences of running away, which means being kept on a tight leash by both Giles and Joyce. The close watch is intensified by the increased difficulty in keeping Angel's return a secret. Deceiving her loved ones could be interpreted as her heading down another slippery slope toward bad things. Although Buffy would win their favor by stopping Lurconis, she still has to deal with Angel, who can't stay hidden forever.

Of course Buffy's return wouldn't ease tensions between her and her mom. Buffy running away negated any signs of responsibility she showed in front of her mother before. They tried to explore this tension in "Dead Man's Party", but it failed in its forced delivery. This episode, along with its supernatural allegory, works far better to illustrate that generation gap. Joyce's teenage persona explains why she is so concerned about her daughter: she was just like pre-Chosen Buffy, and it's common for parents to want their children to be better and not repeat their mistakes. However, seeing Buffy take charge of the situation while her grown up counterparts do little besides tag along makes it clear that Buffy is far more mature than Joyce gave her credit for.

Through their teenage selves, we see some interesting and humorous character development. Snyder was the kid who never read between the lines in social situations and when he eventually did, solidified for his sour demeanor now. As mentioned, Joyce was similar to pre-Chosen Buffy. However, it is Giles, who reverts to his Ripper persona under the candy that is the most interesting. This is probably the closest insight into who that was the series will get, which is a little disappointing, especially with the Ripper spin-off in perpetual limbo.

It's worth noting that, since those intoxicated were either school staff or parents who bought all (or half for Joyce and Giles) the bars, the teenage personas represented reflect only the culture from the late 60s and early 70s. It may be an excessive criticism, but it would've been cool to have adults of various ages behaving as they would if they came of age before or after the Vietnam era. As a side note, thankfully Giles' played a song that isn't in every cliché depiction of the 60s.

Joyce and Giles's adventures touch upon their attraction towards each other, which has been alluded to in a few episodes, but kept brief. With their teenage inhibitions, they can't keep their hands off each other. It's implied (later confirmed) that they had sex as well. Once they sobered up, they can't look each other in the eye the morning after. Their feelings toward each other were never as obvious as in this episode, probably so it wouldn't cheapen what Giles had with Jenny, but perhaps they never tried a real relationship out of fear of what it would do to Buffy, as well as Giles' role as her watcher. It's certainly adds a lot of subtext, especially down the road.

This is the first episode to offer some insight into the Mayor's motivations. He made "campaign promises" to several powerful demons to get in office (and to have somehow a vampire cease fire the night of the mass intoxication). While Mr. Trick noted he should be relieved not to pay Lurconis tribute, The Mayor's request that Trick be cautious about which "favors" he does for him hints that there is something in progress that requires these powerful entities to be alive. Regardless, this tribute is really a MacGuffin to the episode's story. It doesn't matter what the adults weren't paying attention to, it could've been anything.

Although Slayerfest failed miserably, Trick tries again outsourcing mayhem by having Ethan supply it. It makes sense to have Ethan return as the origin of this threat. Back when we last saw him, he served as a counter to Giles for maturity: not moving past the dark magic he got into as a teenager. In a way, he's bringing everyone to his level.

While she took responsibility as the adults became immature, Buffy's still can't see clearly with her relationship with Angel. Buffy lying to Angel about her break up with Scott continues the theme that Buffy and Angel aren't going to get back together. Letting him know that there is one less hurtle would just make things more uncomfortable. They're trying to get into the "friend zone", but that is impossible since they clearly want to be more than that and too many lines have been crossed.

Similarly, Willow and Xander are trying to go back to the friend zone, but after that kiss, they're no facing the "more than friends" feelings that have always been there. Their gestures toward each other are far more pronounced. While not enough to get the attention of the rest of the gang, the guy plucking the acoustic guitar could almost be a character.

Probably the most noteworthy element of this episode is it is the first from Jane Espenson, who would be one of the series' most prolific writers (second only to Whedon) and who currently works on the Battlestar Galactica update. It's one of the last elements that solidified the Buffy brand into the thing people love and it's been interesting to see how that happened.

"Band Candy" succeeds far better than "The Dark Age" at showing tight leashed adults that they were once young and irresponsible too and that their children are more grown up than they give them credit. Perhaps this is because it's done it in a light hearted manner, with the adults' new found immaturity played for laughs. This episode is another piece addressing unresolved threads about the aftermath of the second season, and is one of the better examples than the ones that started this season.moreless

Not Your Average Candy Bar

By lenzinoH20, Jul 24, 2008

Band Candy-Mr. Trick enlists Giles's old buddy Ethan Rayne to manufacture and distribute boxes of candy which turn the adult population into uninhibited, irresponsible teenagers. While the adults are indisposed, the mysterious Mayor Wilkins pays a tribute to a demon.

Featuriing the writing debut of Jane Espensen, one of the Buffy's most talented writers, "Band Candy" is one of the funniest comedic episodes of the series. An idea that seems horribly ridiculous turnes into comdey gold once on screen. Watching all the adults of Sunnydale suddenly reverting bakc to being teenagers is an hilarious sight.

The 3 characters that are the most entertiaing to watch are Giles, Joyce, and Principal Snyder. Of course, we know Giles was a rebel when he was a teenager but seeing adult Giles act out his rebellious attitude is shocking. Anthony S. Head gives such a convincing performance that you even miss rebel Giles at the end. Then there's Joyce, who we're so use to being Buffy's caring and understanding mother, then we she's a teenager trying to be rebel and fit in shos that she and Buffy have a lot in common. Lastly and probably the funniest of the bunch, Snyder, who is complete nerd and can't score with a girl to save his life. It's just great to see this character in such a different light and gives us a slight explanation on why he becomes such a cruel man as an adult.

The rest of the cast is great as Buffy and the rest of the Scooby Gang react to the adults gone immature. Scenes like Buffy seeing Giles and her mom making out and Snyder's comment on Oz's hair are so priceless! The plot also gets much more interesting when Ethan Rayne returns as well as The Mayor being the encharge of the whole thing. Making a cameo appearence in the last episode and the big bad of the season, The Mayor is cheerful, upbeat politician with a subtle dark side that immediately makes him a stand out among most villians.

The only downside is the reveal of the snake demon, Leothos. This is around the time that CGI was becoming popular in filmmaking but the effects were quite lackluster for a TV series in the last 90s. All and All, a fun filled episode with some of the funniest writing of the series.moreless

As Buffy stresses over her SATs, Principal Synder enlists the students to sell candy to raise money foe the band's new uniforms. Everyone knows kidds love candy, but what these chocolate bars do to the adults of Sunnydale is anything but sweet.

By kennedyS7, Jun 20, 2008

This is one of my favourite episodes because all the adults turn into tennagers. When evrybody eats the chocolate made by Ethan Rayne all the adults turn to raving teeanagers. In one part Buffy catches her mum (Joyce Summers) and her watcher (Giles) Kissing. I especially hate Principal Snyder in this episode because tell most of the pupils to sell the candy to make money for the bands new uniform. But what they don't know is that Ethan Rayne has put a special ingrediant in the chocolate and in the end Buffy succeeds once again and defeats Ehtan, hopefully he will not return.moreless

Ethan Rayne(Giles old friend) hands out boxes of candy that turn the adults into teenagers.

By Jon_MW_14, Feb 02, 2008

This was a stand alone episode. I like this episode because you get to see what the adults act like when they were teenagers. I found it very amusing and entertaining to see Principal Snyder trying to act cool. So I take it, he was a complete nerd in high school. Joyce are Giles are also really funny and it's realling shocking to see what they acted like when they were teenagers. They acted like rebels. I think this episode is very hilarious. I thought is was funny when Principal Snyder was trying to be friends with Buffy and the gang.moreless

Ethan Rayne brings trouble to town

By diecaro, Sep 30, 2007

Once again, we see Ethan Rayne back in Sunnydale causing trouble. Giles' old pal already stirred up things in the Halloween episode in season 2 and this time he's going for the whole town, this ist going to be great!!

To distract them from a major ritual, Ethan is feeding the townies magic cookies which turn the entire adult population of Sunnydale into rebelling teenagers.

Snider was so hilarious and I especially loved Joyce and Giles in this episode, their interaction is very memorable and will be mentioned more than once in the upcoming episodes!

Also, we get to see how Giles was as a teen. We had narrations of that before, but now we actually see Ripper in action and he's a real badass... And the acting on that specific part was amazing, I loved how these actors did it!

Also, we get to see the reaction of the real teenagers to their parents' behaviour and there are so many great funny lines in this eppy!!moreless

Load More Reviews