Episode Reviews (40)

Good
7.4

By arkanitoo, Aug 14, 2014

Ah yes, the episode many people consider to be the worst in BtVS. What's my take on it? Well, it isn't all that great, but the first half has a lot of really good material in it. The main plot isn't terrible in theory, but in execution we have a completely different tale. I'll just outright say that the big problem is that there is far too many extended sequences involving the cavemen running around and grunting. But, since I can't stand beer myself I am pretty amused of the idea that excessive beer turns people into cave men/women, which honestly isn't far from the truth anyway. This is without a doubt not even close to the worst episode of the series though.

All of the character interaction is handled perfectly. Right in the beginning Buffy is day dreaming about saving Parker from vampires at which point he apologizes to her and says he sees how wrong he was. She's interrupted by seeing him chatting up another girl and Professor Walsh talking about the "pleasure Buffy then, very amusingly, has another dream where Parker gives her the same speech and then gives her flowers and some kind of ice cream too. I really like how the writers aren't glossing over her sexual encounter with Parker, because it's actually really important to address further. This is a big deal in Buffy's life -- an experience she's learning from. She finds out from Riley that Parker "sets 'em up and knock's 'em This is the point when Buffy stops trying to make excuses for Parker and looks to herself for blame. She tells Xander "I'm a slut ... These are natural thoughts after an experience like this and it's meaningful to see Buffy thinking about it. Xander offers a little sympathy but can't help much.

It's at this point when Buffy begins drowning her sorrows with beer. This is understandable even though it's not fun seeing her do that to herself. Cave Buffy begins to now emerge and there's a few interesting things that happen after this point. The first is more just being entertained than interested: Cave Buffy spinning around in a chair. I can't pinpoint why I love this so much but I do. Xander walks in on her and then she starts coming onto him on a primal level. Is it just the fact that Xander's male to why she's all over him, or does it possibly have something to do with a buried attraction for Xander himself? Maybe I'm stretching, but I think this gives some possibility to a Buffy/Xander relationship post-S7.

It's worth noting that even as a cavewoman Buffy still has instinct to help others in a time of crisis. Even though she can be selfish at times (aren't we all though?), the core of her being is selfless and will always be that way -- it's who she is. This point is brought across blindingly clear when she even saves Parker from death (although she, quite hilariously, knocks him out first). After everyone is outside and safe Parker begins to actually apologize, although I honestly believe that it's only because she just saved his life and that he really isn't sorry at all. Thankfully, Cave Buffy can see right through it and knocks him out again. Can I just (Look! An un-academic outburst! What can I say, academia can suck the fun out of things sometimes ;))

Problems are beginning in the Willow/Oz relationship. Willow is noticing that Oz has become awestruck by this new band's singer, Veruca. It's the same girl who Oz passed by and 'sensed' back in "Living Conditions" (4x02). We can see Willow trying to pry Oz away from being all mesmorized by Veruca, but her charms aren't working. This issue is directly addressed in "Wild at Heart" (4x06). Willow, a bit concerned about Oz, goes out for a break and sees Parker sitting down for a coffee. This is certainly my favorite scene of the episode. Parker goes on about how people should be able to engage in casual sex without expecting committment. I agree with him, but only if both partners are in 100% agreement about that. The problem is that Parker misleads people into thinking he does want a lasting relationship just to break down their barriers so they'll have sex with him; it's disgusting. Anyway, Willow acts like she's buying his act and then nails him where it hurts by saying "how gullible do you think I am?" That in combination with Buffy clubbing him over head with a stick is enough to allow Buffy, and myself, to move on. Lets not forget we also get to see Riley punch him for what he did to Buffy in "The Initiative" (4x07).

That pretty much wraps up all there is to say about this one. The cursed boys that run around grunting for large portions of the episode certainly don't spark my interest and rub off as really stupid, but I think that's the point. I think it could have been made without being boring to watch though. All the great character development going on with Buffy, Willow, Oz, and a little bit of Xander really help give this episode substance which prevents it from completely sucking and is why it avoids sinking into useless territory. I'd take something like this over "I Robot, You Jane" (1x08) or "Bad Eggs" (2x12) anyday.

moreless

Ah yes, the episode many people consider to be the worst in BtVS.

By tarafan2, Jun 15, 2013

What's my take on it? Well, it isn't all that great, but the first half has a lot of really good material in it. The main plot isn't terrible in theory, but in execution we have a completely different tale. I'll just outright say that the big problem is that there is far too many extended sequences involving the cavemen running around and grunting. But, since I can't stand beer myself I am pretty amused of the idea that excessive beer turns people into cave men/women, which honestly isn't far from the truth anyway. This is without a doubt not even close to the worst episode of the series though.

It's worth noting that even as a cavewoman Buffy still has instinct to help others in a time of crisis. Even though she can be selfish at times, the core of her being is selfless and will always be that way -- it's who she is. This point is brought across blindingly clear when she even saves Parker from death. After everyone is outside and safe Parker begins to actually apologize, although I honestly believe that it's only because she just saved his life and that he really isn't sorry at all. Thankfully, Cave Buffy can see right through it and knocks him out again. Can I just

Problems are beginning in the Willow/Oz relationship. Willow is noticing that Oz has become awestruck by this new band's singer, Veruca. It's the same girl who Oz passed by and 'sensed' back in "Living Conditions". We can see Willow trying to pry Oz away from being all mesmorized by Veruca, but her charms aren't working. This issue is directly addressed in "Wild at Heart". Willow, a bit concerned about Oz, goes out for a break and sees Parker sitting down for a coffee. This is certainly my favorite scene of the episode. Parker goes on about how people should be able to engage in casual sex without expecting committment. I agree with him, but only if both partners are in 100% agreement about that. The problem is that Parker misleads people into thinking he does want a lasting relationship just to break down their barriers so they'll have sex with him; it's disgusting. Anyway, Willow acts like she's buying his act and then nails him where it hurts by saying "how gullible do you think I am?" That in combination with Buffy clubbing him over head with a stick is enough to allow Buffy, and myself, to move on. Lets not forget we also get to see Riley punch him for what he did to Buffy in "The Initiative".

That pretty much wraps up all there is to say about this one. The cursed boys that run around grunting for large portions of the episode certainly don't spark my interest and rub off as really stupid, but I think that's the point. I think it could have been made without being boring to watch though. All the great character development going on with Buffy, Willow, Oz, and a little bit of Xander really help give this episode substance which prevents it from completely sucking and is why it avoids sinking into useless territory. I'd take something like this over "I Robot, You Jane" or "Bad Eggs" anyday.moreless

oh dear! you got to be kidding!

By kanikki83, Nov 29, 2011

i love buffy! but this episode is just crap... bad dialogues and (i can't believe i'm saying this) actually bad acting! usually i'm a big fan of the 'filler episodes' that stands for themselves, but this one is just not working... beer turns you, especially when you're underaged, into neanderthals! oh come on! the audience can take better metaphores than this, joss. and neanderthals are sooo lame! actually this episode is pretty similar to band candy, but unfortunately way inferior.

but let's not leave out the positive aspect of this episode...alyson hannigan was amazing and saved this one at least to some extent!moreless

This episode wasn't as good as most episodes!

By Phunner1416, Jun 21, 2011

In this episode, Buffy is still hurting about Parker, and guys at a bar take advantage of her and give her tons of beer, which turns out that the beer has been cursed to make them act as the manager sees them. The only real good parts were when Willow led Parker on just to yell at him for what he did to Buffy, and when Buffy saved Parker and he's apologizing, and she just hits him over the head and knocks him out! All in all, not a very good episode, and it didn't live up to the Buffy standard.moreless

Season 4, Episode 5.

By Wanted23, Mar 03, 2011

Buffy, trying to get over Parker, and a group of upper-class students drown their troubles in an excess of beer. However, it soon becomes visible that beer does not have a good effect on the Slayer. Xander gets a job at the college bar.

This was an obvious filler episode. It wasn't that bad though. It wasn't that good either. Sarah Michelle Gellar looked beautiful yet again in this episode, and her performance was as amazing as always. Riley and those college students were hot. I wouldn't mind living with them. ;) The thing with Oz and Veruca was weird. This episode just seemed so different. Weird episode. The series could have went on without it. I gave it a higher rating for the eye candy though.moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 21, 2010

Beer Bad was a great episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode was good because new twists and turns were developed. There was some character development, good "old times" and funny moments. There was also introductions to new characters that I believe we will see agin really soon, like the next episode! The stories in this episode were pretty interesting and I look forward to finding out what happens next. The supernatural aspect of the show was a little more minor than usual, however it made for a fun episode. Zander gets a job near the campus, and trouble ensues when Buffy makes some new friends.moreless

Worst episode ever!

By elliottreed, Sep 26, 2010

Beer Bad has got to be the worst episode ever made. I love Buffy it is my favourite programme ever but if this was the first episode that i had ever seen i would never watch it again. Absolutely terrible. The storyline is just awful. Buffy as a cavewoman what a ridiculous idea.

Good Xander quotes: Nothing can defeat the penis! & Well, excuse me, Mr. 'I spent the sixties in an electric-kool-aid-funky-Satan groove.'

By xblvr, Sep 26, 2010

So my favorite part about this episode (other than a drunken Buffy, laughs all around) is the part where Willow plays the part of the sappy girl listening to Parker’s sad story, giving the right amount of emotion, seemingly being pulled into buy his lies. Then at the end she starts to laugh at him and ask him if he really thought that his tricks would work on her. I loved how she stood up for herself, Buffy and all women really. Willow: That's right. I got your number, id boy. Only thing you're thinking about is how long before you can jump on my bones. On a sad Willow note, this is the first we see of Veruca (b*tch). Buffy: Want beer. Like beer. Beer good.

Xander: Beer bad. Bad, bad beer. What the hell am I saying?moreless

Shudder.

By VENOMSGOD101, Sep 26, 2010

This episode has got to be the worst episode of buffy ever!

I mean come on BEER FREAKIN BAD?

The plot was so stupid so bad it maid me a little insane (i mean that)god i hate it.

Also buffy had so meny great episodes even season 1 had its moments but this is rubbish.It isnt even funny and NOTHING HAPPENS oh and Buffy has her best quote of the series:

Beer.... bad.

This is even my mums and sisters most hated episode and i cant even think of why i hate it so much and hell its not like season 4 was fantastic as it is!moreless

Load More Reviews